Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

At the end of that article it's written:

"Alien: Isolation is out this year, but I hear creative differences have shelved Allen: Isolation."

What? Has anybody heard about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Palpek posted:

At the end of that article it's written:

"Alien: Isolation is out this year, but I hear creative differences have shelved Allen: Isolation."

What? Has anybody heard about this?

Allen: Isolation, the joke Tim Allen comeback vehicle at the start of the article.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
That crate's got a Jenkins-Folger clamp. Gotta use a Class-C Loader to pick that bad boy up. Build yourself the ultimate mancave out of these AUGH AUGH AUGH

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wild T posted:

That crate's got a Jenkins-Folger clamp. Gotta use a Class-C Loader to pick that bad boy up. Build yourself the ultimate mancave out of these AUGH AUGH AUGH

Tim would never use anything less than a Class-B from Binford Tools come on out and show them Heidi

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Cool screens. Everything about that article is loving dreadful though, Jesus.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Finally beat A:CM. Turns out I only had about 30 min of gameplay left. Also, the final boss battle was terrible. AVP Classic did the same thing much better.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

blackguy32 posted:

AVP Classic did the same thing much better.

This could be said of every Alien game since it came out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

This could be said of every Alien game since it came out.

Naw, I actually kind of prefer the Marine campaign in the newer AvP than the original one. Less janky.

Also AvP 2 is a very solid game.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
AvP Classic has some very irritating level design where it turns into "hunt for the less-than-obvious switch" that, when combined with the low-res graphics and poor direction, makes for a frustrating experience. The controls are also very sensitive and tend to launch you across a room at the slightest provocation, at least with Pred and Alien.

AvP2 has some of the same issues here and there, but overall is far easier to find your way through a level and has a greater degree of control over your movement. I can only really remember one or two places in the game where I was completely lost in AvP2; once in the Pred campaign, and once in the Marine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Naw, I actually kind of prefer the Marine campaign in the newer AvP than the original one. Less janky.

Also AvP 2 is a very solid game.

I liked the marine campaign the most in the new AvP because it had so many more unique animations for everything that don't exist in multiplayer. The flame thrower is actually cool to use in it because of how you have cut in half/on fire aliens still crawling around feebly trying to kill you.

Wubthecook
Jan 28, 2014

Good man.

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked the marine campaign the most in the new AvP because it had so many more unique animations for everything that don't exist in multiplayer. The flame thrower is actually cool to use in it because of how you have cut in half/on fire aliens still crawling around feebly trying to kill you.

I prefer the Marine campaign in AvP classic. Although there were problems with direction, trying to find almost 'hidden' switches in the poorly textured walls, it felt like a proper Colonial Marine campaign. You were very fragile, the very dark rooms and super fast alien speed made it scary. The gun play in the new AvP felt really poor in my opinion, like after shooting for 2 seconds accuracy was completely gone and often times alien just stood still for a few seconds making themselves vulnerable. Also really disliked the almost quick time event level melee combat in AvP 2010.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AvP2 is still (in my opinion) the pinnacle of the series.

The marine parts managed to be suspenseful and fun. The first time the broken pipe and wires come down I unloaded half a clip into it. Jumping around the big open forest areas as a predator, spearing marines to the weirdass alien trees and collecting their skulls was glorious. And the alien parts were fantastic. Going into the hive was disorienting and freaky but it just felt so goddamn right.

Why is it that nobody seems to be able to produce something that fun anymore?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Not to mention it had, hands-down, the best intro level for the Alien campaign.

First-person chest-bursting. Fan-friggen-tastic.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im mostly annoyed with the mechanics in classic. It feels like you are gliding on the floor when you move and I hate how your view slants when you are sidestepping. Then there is the terrible mechanic of your gun jamming and the flame thrower pretty much setting yourself on fire anytime you use it. Also, the flare mechanic sucks. Plus, the scale seems really off in AvP classic.

I also really like that AvP 2 and 2010 have narratives. I loved the mission where you have to go into the hive to save your sergeant.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The scripted end part of that chapter where you just have to run away was really well done for the time. I just hated the entire narrative beyond the marines' experiences. Like do we really have to sit around and listen to the bad guy scientist chat for the first half of the campaign when they have him be sinister in every possible way even down to actually wearing black compared to every other scientist's future lab coat wardrobe?

I love the Alien and Predator campaigns in it though. The Marine one starts out amazing but I felt like it got worse and worse. That part where you have to go into the hive at first to rescue her is where it peaks for me. Also for some reason the gamma on my monitor is never quite right for the game (across two totally different setups even). No matter how I set it there are a bunch of "hidden" aliens I can see plain as day way before they become active.

Wubthecook posted:

I prefer the Marine campaign in AvP classic. Although there were problems with direction, trying to find almost 'hidden' switches in the poorly textured walls, it felt like a proper Colonial Marine campaign. You were very fragile, the very dark rooms and super fast alien speed made it scary. The gun play in the new AvP felt really poor in my opinion, like after shooting for 2 seconds accuracy was completely gone and often times alien just stood still for a few seconds making themselves vulnerable. Also really disliked the almost quick time event level melee combat in AvP 2010.

Me too on everything, I was just talking of the about the new AvP specifically, though the bar is set really low when the Alien campaign is like one hour long and half of the Predator campaign is standing one place sparring. :barf:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 11, 2014

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
A basic flaw of the narrative for virtually every AvP game is that they're all relatively the same:

1. Humans find aliens, decide to make more. Have no idea how this plan could go wrong. :downs:
2. Plan goes wrong. :saddowns:
3. Xenos break out. Humans nom nom.
4. Predators come to hunt. Lose all your gear at some point and build it back up.
5. Marines sent in to purge the xeno filth and nuke the facility. General yells at you a lot. More quotes than a Monty Python marathon.

Mind you this isn't isolated to the games; a lot of the comics and movies follow this premise as well; as a recycling of both Aliens and Predator. The alternative is to have something original to the franchise; like Marines investigating a planet long-since overrun without a big facility there, rogue marines pursuing a Predator war-party alone for vengance, or humans ACTUALLY using the Xenos as a weapon for once without loving it up.

I remember one alien comic showed their homeworld (before Prometheus hosed it up) and showed them as part of a balanced ecosystem with a proper homeworld hive. As well, there was Alien: Genocide, which seems to involve a XENOMORPH CIVIL WAR, between different hives like red and black ants. That alone would be cool, and kind of happened in Extinction, but we don't talk about that game.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
I would like to see a SimAnt clone where you play as a Xeno Hivemind

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

blackguy32 posted:

Im mostly annoyed with the mechanics in classic. It feels like you are gliding on the floor when you move and I hate how your view slants when you are sidestepping. Then there is the terrible mechanic of your gun jamming and the flame thrower pretty much setting yourself on fire anytime you use it. Also, the flare mechanic sucks. Plus, the scale seems really off in AvP classic.

I also really like that AvP 2 and 2010 have narratives. I loved the mission where you have to go into the hive to save your sergeant.

Well the whole fun of classic is multiplayer and none of the other games hold a candle to it. Also I'm an alien player.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ClownSyndrome posted:

I would like to see a SimAnt clone where you play as a Xeno Hivemind

But it would always end with being nuked from orbit :smith:

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Iron Crowned posted:

but then you start a new level with the single face hugger or Xeno that always escapes on the dropship! Slowly make you way from planet to planet, eventually reaching Earth

Final bosses are Dutch Schaefer and Linn Kurosawa

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

If it's only versus Predators, they are hardcore and traipse all the way through your hive and stab you in the face directly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

If it's only versus Predators, they are hardcore and traipse all the way through your hive and stab you in the face directly.

Prostrategy: Cover yourself with mud.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Spaceking posted:

Mind you this isn't isolated to the games; a lot of the comics and movies follow this premise as well; as a recycling of both Aliens and Predator. The alternative is to have something original to the franchise; like Marines investigating a planet long-since overrun without a big facility there, rogue marines pursuing a Predator war-party alone for vengance, or humans ACTUALLY using the Xenos as a weapon for once without loving it up.

Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking of a sort of human civil war where one faction manages to use the Xenos against the second, but the second manages to lure Preds after the first, and suddenly the whole situation spirals out of control with Preds releasing Xenos that immediately attack both sides while the Preds hunt everyone and everything and the humans suddenly find themselves hosed.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Spaceking posted:

A basic flaw of the narrative for virtually every AvP game is that they're all relatively the same:

1. Humans find aliens, decide to make more. Have no idea how this plan could go wrong. :downs:
2. Plan goes wrong. :saddowns:
3. Xenos break out. Humans nom nom.
4. Predators come to hunt. Lose all your gear at some point and build it back up.
5. Marines sent in to purge the xeno filth and nuke the facility. General yells at you a lot. More quotes than a Monty Python marathon.

Don't forget the ending that reveals W-Y KEPT AN EGG/PERSON WITH A CHESTBURSTER AND THIS WILL ALL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!?! :ohdear:

Weyland-Yutani is basically the Umbrella Corp of the AvP world, and it feels very silly that everything is either their fault, or the epilogue of the game shows they learned nothing from the current Xeno outbreak, and it's never clear why they're doing any of this beyond 'We might be able to sell aliens to the marines that keep paying the price whenever we gently caress up and Xenos get loose!'

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The whole weaponise the alien thing is always stupid as hell in media because presuming you caught one the first thing you'd want to do is try to work out how it makes acid that cuts right through a ship or some other cool factor of its biology, not strap a muzzle to it and use it as an attack dog.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I have always wanted to see an AvP game that is actually based on the character Machiko Noguchi, with you being a piece of poo poo human (not a marine) and doing whatever you can to survive. Set in a dustball world that is also a piece of poo poo, and there is no W-Y plot, just a bunch of Xeno's are released on the planet because it's a predator hunting ground, and the preds are like 'Ugh, there are a bunch of fleshy pink things in the way these days.'

Try and avoid the fanfictiony writing for Machiko 'befriending' the predators, and have some kind of dual point of view where you play as the Predator fascinated by Machiko fighting, and Machiko both making GBS threads her pants because bug things are tearing the place apart, and giant reptillian assholes have turned up to gently caress them up also.

Plot of alien campaign: Eat every motherfucker and establish hive.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
An easy way to do that is not 'fascinated by her fighting' but just 'thinks of her as a worthy foe'. That's how Preds roll; they see a good fighter and they get a boner for murder. AvP2's whole Pred plot was you hunting down the general because you didn't finish him off the first time. AvP2 had an exceptionally great story design (if not a good story itself) wherein every campaign told part of the story, but not all of it. The marine got cutscenes and companions to talk to, but Xenos were climbing around vents and eavesdropping; and since missions took place sometimes months apart, just one side never knew the whole story. Its a shame the plot was generic, because that's a great way to tell a multi-campaign story.

I'm trying to think of a way you could make the alien campaign more varied beyond humans nom nom. Civil war between hives is probably the best thing I could think of, because its both simple enough to understand but with potential for intrigue. How intelligent and devious can Xenos be?

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 12, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Spaceking posted:

I'm trying to think of a way you could make the alien campaign more varied beyond humans nom nom. Civil war between hives is probably the best thing I could think of, because its both simple enough to understand but with potential for intrigue. How intelligent and devious can Xenos be?

Best 'Xeno' story I ever read was about a hive that was dying, and the desperation of the drones trying to keep it going. Drones lifting dying facehuggers to humans faces to help them impregnate them, and refusing to kill their human prisoners because of how valuable they were. There were some downright disturbing moments too - But maybe find a way to tell the story of a hive desperately trying to live? you serve as the last truly strong uber-drone and your campaign has you trying to find viable hosts and perhaps make the transition to royal guard/warrior alien?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

massive spider posted:

The whole weaponise the alien thing is always stupid as hell in media because presuming you caught one the first thing you'd want to do is try to work out how it makes acid that cuts right through a ship or some other cool factor of its biology, not strap a muzzle to it and use it as an attack dog.

Or use them as loving bombs. If the death of one can eat through a few hull decks, strap a time bomb to their backs that will also activate on contact with the acid, send them in to the enemy ship or base.
They will get a few kills and hopefully cause blow outs or bring down infrastructure.

The Alien game I want to see if that they have taken over Earth. And you have to scramble to safety first, then regroup with survivors, then fight back to take out the hive, or local hive.
The fall of Earth was done great in the comics although subdued. Some worshipped them, some just waited, some fought. You could get some new dynamics going with that instead of the tired one soldier against every alien that every game boil downs to. The Last of Us Alien style, that would be amazing imo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Best 'Xeno' story I ever read was about a hive that was dying, and the desperation of the drones trying to keep it going. Drones lifting dying facehuggers to humans faces to help them impregnate them, and refusing to kill their human prisoners because of how valuable they were. There were some downright disturbing moments too - But maybe find a way to tell the story of a hive desperately trying to live? you serve as the last truly strong uber-drone and your campaign has you trying to find viable hosts and perhaps make the transition to royal guard/warrior alien?

That sounds rad as hell, do you have a link to it?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

But maybe find a way to tell the story of a hive desperately trying to live? you serve as the last truly strong uber-drone and your campaign has you trying to find viable hosts and perhaps make the transition to royal guard/warrior alien?

I'm imagining a reskin of Evil Genius where you're in charge of a hive and your resources are pesky scientists and marines that periodically wander into your base and have to be knocked out by your drones. Occasionally the Company sends a Ripley-esque character who torches the place.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

That sounds rad as hell, do you have a link to it?

No link, but the story is Aliens: Labyrinth. I have the novel, but I have also been told that the comic adaptation is really really good, so now I am looking for a copy of that.

The story has some pretty hosed up poo poo in it, if you are into that kind of thing. I'd go into detail, but I am unsure people care that deeply.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Spakstik posted:

I'm imagining a reskin of Evil Genius where you're in charge of a hive and your resources are pesky scientists and marines that periodically wander into your base and have to be knocked out by your drones. Occasionally the Company sends a Ripley-esque character who torches the place.

That sounds like the Xbox title Aliens Versus Predator: Extinction which was super fun but also I played when I was like 12 so I could be wrong about how good it was.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

No link, but the story is Aliens: Labyrinth. I have the novel, but I have also been told that the comic adaptation is really really good, so now I am looking for a copy of that.

The story has some pretty hosed up poo poo in it, if you are into that kind of thing. I'd go into detail, but I am unsure people care that deeply.

I think I had the comic as a kid. Isn't that the one where the antagonist is captured with his family as a child and grows up surrounded by moldy half-dead xenos? And when he's an adolescent they lead him into a chamber where his morbidly obese, mutilated torso of a mother is laying in a pool of goo and the xenos are pushing him forward like "go ahead, make us some babies dude."

That comic was hosed up.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think I read that too, along with many others. Looking back, the hilarious part is my folks wouldn't let me watch stuff like Aliens so I would just snag these hosed up graphic novels from the library.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bought all volumes of the Dark Horse Aliens Omnibus over the summer but only had a chance to finish the first couple. So I went and binge-read Labyrinth and yeah, it was pretty gross and disturbing. I liked the ending, though. It's not very common for someone to experiment with aliens and get away with it.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

willus posted:

That sounds like the Xbox title Aliens Versus Predator: Extinction which was super fun but also I played when I was like 12 so I could be wrong about how good it was.

Extinction is an odd duck. Its a strategy game on the PS2, so they had to get creative with the controls. There isn't a lot of major strategy involved; you pretty much just select all your dudes and run from one side of a grey map to the other. With no random map or multiplayer, the game gets old pretty quickly. It is fun to produce a bunch of eggs and drag them around to ensnare hapless humans, and even had some cool alien evolutions; like an upgrade for the Praetorian let Facehuggers survive on their backs and were used as expendable, insta-kill ranged weapons. Humans survived in a balanced squad of healers, scouts for detection and heavies for damage, whilst the preds basically just had smaller groups of invisible death dealers. The xenos made units from the wildlife and their foes, but they swarmed in giant numbers. It did mean though if you lost a lot of units, there was really no way to make more if you had exhausted wildlife.

Ultimately, nothing to write home about, but not as horrible as it could have been.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Aliens comics are generally pretty cool, even today. Some of them are stinkers, but even so they're usually entertaining stinkers.

Pardon the self-plug, but I wrote a series of posts about the first couple of volumes over in BSS. They were written after Aliens, but before Alien 3, and thus followed the continuing adventures of Hicks and Newt before that movie killed them off. Subsequent re-releases retconned them into "Wilks and Billie" and it's a confusing mess, but also really weird and fun :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I would really just like them to get rid of the bioweapon angle entirely. They are hard to control, they pretty much destroy whatever environment you are trying to take over to the point where whatever resources you were going after are going to be destroyed too. Although it has led to some really goofy looking designs.

Judging by Aliens:Colonial Marines anyways, it is far more efficient to just drop and detonate a atmosphere processor considering it only leads to a little structural damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Aliens: Labyrinth

They should have made a movie adaption of this comic rather than Alien Resurrection because even though the expanded universe for this franchise gets a lot of hate, Labyrinth is genuinely good and would have been an awesome follow-up to Alien 3. It's a shame Fox didn't have the guts to continue the movies with an entirely new cast of characters.

• Locked thread