Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is a good razor or hair removal for my face? Transwoman here so keeping hair off my face is important. Shaving every day and night is getting annoying and my razor kinda sucks. I nair my legs and that seems to work well, but I'm pretty scared of using the facial version in case something bad happens (I can at least hide my legs with jeans). Under $100 would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ramadu posted:

Thanks for the fast responses on those. Does the "Pet" version of that vacuum add anything for that extra 30 dollars or is that just branding? Also, uh, got anything cheaper for a rice cooker? I wasn't expecting to see a rice cooker for 170 dollars :stare:

It goes on sale every now and then down to $120ish. But the thing will last you a lifetime.

Edit: The difference between the pet specific one is it comes with a pet upholstery tool. I would just get the non-pet version.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can someone recommend a website that sells random assortments of decals, hopefully larger sizes? I bought a motorcycle and rather than replace all the plastics I could just cover them up with stickers and decals.

I've been buying aftermarket parts for it and it seems like they throw.brand stickers in with most purchases, so that got me thinking of just starting with these But will need quite a bit more.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ramadu posted:

Thanks for the fast responses on those. Does the "Pet" version of that vacuum add anything for that extra 30 dollars or is that just branding? Also, uh, got anything cheaper for a rice cooker? I wasn't expecting to see a rice cooker for 170 dollars :stare:

You can get a smaller Zojirushi for around $120 or so.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is a good razor or hair removal for my face? Transwoman here so keeping hair off my face is important. Shaving every day and night is getting annoying and my razor kinda sucks. I nair my legs and that seems to work well, but I'm pretty scared of using the facial version in case something bad happens (I can at least hide my legs with jeans). Under $100 would be nice.

Get a safety razor for like 30 bucks on Amazon, and a pack of blades. I use Feather, and they're around $12 for a 50-pack.

Non-shaving though, I don't know. MY GIRLFRIEND tried to wax my neck once and it didn't turn out well.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Feb 9, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can get a smaller Zojirushi for around $120 or so.

Get a safety razor for like 30 bucks on Amazon, and a pack of blades. I use Feather, and they're around $12 for a 50-pack.

Non-shaving though, I don't know. MY GIRLFRIEND tried to wax my neck once and it didn't turn out well.

30 bucks? No no no no. Get yourself http://www.abovethetie.com/?store_cat=1 or maybe http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Feather-AS-D2-Stainless-Safety-Razor_p_1963.html . Or both OH And shaving brushes and soap and aftershaves oh and try different blades keep buying stuff BUY BUY BUY.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Duck and Cover posted:

30 bucks? No no no no. Get yourself http://www.abovethetie.com/?store_cat=1 or maybe http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Feather-AS-D2-Stainless-Safety-Razor_p_1963.html . Or both OH And shaving brushes and soap and aftershaves oh and try different blades keep buying stuff BUY BUY BUY.

Or buy a Merkur off Amazon if you want an amazing razor without having to set fire to your wallet. I've used this one for 4 years now and it's been absolutely phenomenal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Seconding this, I bought a $30 cheap three-piece Parker about three years ago and always had minor issues nicking myself. It finally fell apart (the threads wore out and it wouldn't stay together anymore) and I bought this Merkur razor to replace it. Its a night and day difference; build quality is much higher and for probably the first time in months I wasn't bleeding anywhere and I didn't have a bunch of patches of missed hairs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is a safety razor a good idea for crotch shaving? Because cheap, good body shaving solutions for sensitive skin would be great... for a friend, I have a friend who wants to know. A friend. Yes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You'll want to learn the technique before turning yourself loose down there - when you gently caress up with a safety razor you can make some pretty deep cuts. Remember they're called safety razors because they're safer than a straight razor; they're safe in the respect that you won't slit your own neck if you sneeze while shaving.

But once you can use one without massacring yourself they make short work (:haw:) of body hair.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Feb 9, 2014

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

^
Seconding this, I bought a $30 cheap three-piece Parker about three years ago and always had minor issues nicking myself. It finally fell apart (the threads wore out and it wouldn't stay together anymore) and I bought this Merkur razor to replace it. Its a night and day difference; build quality is much higher and for probably the first time in months I wasn't bleeding anywhere and I didn't have a bunch of patches of missed hairs.

The Edwin Jagger DE89 I have is a rebadged Merkur for a little less and has served me faithfully for 3 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I started using a Merkur razor a few months ago after using the Mach3 for years. If you're just starting out with safety razors it can be pretty rough on your skin. I never cut myself but my face did feel very sensitive after shaves. I do not recommend it for your genital area.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Droid Washington posted:

I am absolutely in love with this shaver I bought. It allows you to customize the length of your stubble in terms of millimeters (many shavers actually do this), but the main reason I like this one over others is because it's battery isn't terrible and it vacuums your stubble as it works. No mess at the end!

I second this. If I don't feel like close shaving I just use the 1mm setting on my face and neck then touch up sideburns, under my nose, etc with the line accessory on my electric shaver.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Etrips posted:

It goes on sale every now and then down to $120ish. But the thing will last you a lifetime.

Edit: The difference between the pet specific one is it comes with a pet upholstery tool. I would just get the non-pet version.

I got the pet one for $100. Set up a camel alert on either vacuum if you want to wait out a good deal.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-T-Series-Upright-UH70210/product/B002HFA5F6?context=browse

I think the pet upholstery tools kick rear end, so if you have pets I would go for the pet one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My girlfriend is looking for a "business card holder" which I guess means a little case to hold business cards, that she can put in her purse or whatever? I've looked around a bit with her and haven't found anything, do goons want to recommend one?

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Feb 9, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a "business card holder" which I guess means a little case to hold business cards, that she can put in her purse or whatever? I've looked around a bit with her and haven't found anything, do goons want to recommend one?

Perhaps something from Etsy?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

C-Euro posted:

http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#/eng_US/Collections/Women/Small-Leather-Goods/products/Business-Card-Holder-DAMIER-AZUR-N61746

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

C-Euro posted:

Go to a thrift store. When my pal worked at Goodwill they used to have tons of them, usually metal with a mother of pearl or abalone styled front.

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is a safety razor a good idea for crotch shaving? Because cheap, good body shaving solutions for sensitive skin would be great... for a friend, I have a friend who wants to know. A friend. Yes.

Safety razors are TOTALLY fine for your junk, and I can say that not even knowing if you're a man or a woman.

DE Safety razors cannot and do not cut deep -- they're exposed 1/16" of an inch! The only severe cuts they're possible of are the same one even cartridges pose -- lateral cuts. You won't slice yourself badly because you won't be an idiot and move the razor laterally because you've never done that before and you won't start now.

As soon as you can shave your face a week straight without any nicks, you're good to go where ever, both on your person and others'. Everything else is the same (same pre-shave prep, ATG rarely, after-shave care, etc).

Whether or not to use a separate set of brushes/razor handles/alum block is the only issue you need to consider.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard that makes extreme clickity clacks for cheap?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tenchrono posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard that makes extreme clickity clacks for cheap?

Are you looking for a mechanical keyboard? I believe a Rosewill would be a decent cheap option.

edit: Also feel free to checkout the Keyboard Megathread

Etrips has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Feb 10, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Tenchrono posted:

Define cheap? The Rosewill's on Amazon even appear to be 60+.

Is it for gaming? Different needs have different kinds of mechanical switches.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

Are you using a cartridge razor by any chance? Because they tend to have that effect. You can get a pretty close shave with a double edged safety razor, minus the ingrowns, and DE blades are way way cheaper than cartridges (like 100 blades for $20 cheap).

I have tried safety razors on and off for years and have never gotten better results then with a Gillette Fusion/Mach 5/whatever they call it these days. For shaving cream I just use this stuff:

I was out of shaving cream one day, tried it, and found that it allowed for a very close shave with no ingrown hairs or irritation. I think that most of the wet shaving hype is just that, a mistaken idea that "old=better". I do agree from a ritual standpoint wet shaving is better but for just practical "get this hair off my face" I think decent cartridge razors are better if you find a good lotion/aftershave to use.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I have tried safety razors on and off for years and have never gotten better results then with a Gillette Fusion/Mach 5/whatever they call it these days. For shaving cream I just use this stuff:

I was out of shaving cream one day, tried it, and found that it allowed for a very close shave with no ingrown hairs or irritation. I think that most of the wet shaving hype is just that, a mistaken idea that "old=better". I do agree from a ritual standpoint wet shaving is better but for just practical "get this hair off my face" I think decent cartridge razors are better if you find a good lotion/aftershave to use.

This stuff works but smells terrible and the smell lingers.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I think that most of the wet shaving hype is just that, a mistaken idea that "old=better". I do agree from a ritual standpoint wet shaving is better but for just practical "get this hair off my face" I think decent cartridge razors are better if you find a good lotion/aftershave to use.

How does it feel to have such wrong opinions? DE shaving is better if not only for the fact that you're paying maybe 1/100th the cost of Gilette's bullshit Mach 10 PROGLIDE razors for DE blades. If you're saying the lotion makes all the difference, why wouldn't that same lotion also help ingrown hairs/razor burn when DE shaving? I use literally the exact same lotion with a Merkur DE handle and Feather blades and every shave is perfect, at a tiny fraction of the cost of Gilettes proprietary bullshit

edit holy poo poo you shaved with post-shave balm as your soap and that's why MACH 10 shaving is better? Yes, everybody, forget shaving with cheap DE blades, apply post-shave balm to your face before shaving and start scratching that poo poo up with five cheap blades at a time

Were you even using a brush to lather the soap?

Robawesome has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Feb 10, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Nivea and other alcohol based after shaves and balms will burn the gently caress out of your newly shaven baby-like skin. I recommend getting something without alcohol (Geo F. Trumper makes a product called Skin Food, poo poo is incredible but expensive.)

also,

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Robawesome posted:

How does it feel to have such wrong opinions? DE shaving is better if not only for the fact that you're paying maybe 1/100th the cost of Gilette's bullshit Mach 10 PROGLIDE razors for DE blades. If you're saying the lotion makes all the difference, why wouldn't that same lotion also help ingrown hairs/razor burn when DE shaving? I use literally the exact same lotion with a Merkur DE handle and Feather blades and every shave is perfect, at a tiny fraction of the cost of Gilettes proprietary bullshit

edit holy poo poo you shaved with post-shave balm as your soap and that's why MACH 10 shaving is better? Yes, everybody, forget shaving with cheap DE blades, apply post-shave balm to your face before shaving and start scratching that poo poo up with five cheap blades at a time

Were you even using a brush to lather the soap?

Yep, fancy badger brush, all that. I know it is shocking that a new thing might be better than an old thing but that is often how progress works. The cost issue is kinda silly, a cartridge is like $3-4 if you buy in bulk online and one lasts like 2 weeks. Sure DE blades are cheaper but it is such a trivial cost it isn't worth fussing over. In that is really a driving factor, why not go to a straight razor, then you only have to lay out money once or twice in your life?

Duck and Cover posted:

This stuff works but smells terrible and the smell lingers.

I wouldn't go that far but it does have a strong small, but thats I why I don't use it as a post shave thing, I just shave with it and rinse it off.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Feb 10, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just get something with alcohol and sack the gently caress up after you shave. If your skin is so weak that you can't handle 10 seconds of refreshment, maybe you should get something with 10 blades for ~extra sensitive~ skin, and a lubricating strip, and piece of rubber, and a vibrating handle with a light for some reason.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This stuff is a goon favorite and it formulated without alcohol, dye, or fragrance. I use this stuff sometimes as a light lotion even and I highly recommend it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to agree with bunnielab on this one. I own 2 DE safety razors and I tried shaving with them for over 6 months and I had bad results. I tried different kinds of soaps, blades, brushes, aftershave, and everything. I think in the end it comes down to that the grain on my neck grows in several different directions and to get satisfactory results I have to do 4 or 5 passes in different directions which causes razor burn. Now for my cheeks and sideburns it worked great, but I was always forced to choose either a rough shave or a red(and/or bleeding) and sensitive neck.

My Gillette fusion on the other hand, while not nearly as cool and more expensive, does a great job. So YMMV with wet shaving. You should try it and it's fun to do and great if it works, but just realize it might not be the solution to everyone's problem.

Hilariously, I can shave my balls with a DE with no problems at all. It does a much better job than the Fusion there so I dunno. :shrug:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Droid Washington posted:

This stuff is a goon favorite and it formulated without alcohol, dye, or fragrance. I use this stuff sometimes as a light lotion even and I highly recommend it.

Is that not exactly what I posted?

Also ball shaving with a DE is nuts. Pun intended.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Yeah I'm not taking a DE to my balls on any goons word.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Any recommendations on good mattress protectors?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Burger McAngus posted:

Any recommendations on good mattress protectors?

The ones from Ikea seem to do the job

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

bunnielab posted:

DE razors are worth it for the saved expense alone (more than a year's supply of blades for $20), but the use of soaps and brushes allows you to use hot lather, something difficult to do successfully with gels or canned foams, and something that does allow for a better shave.

As for closeness, the issue with cartridges is not that they aren't close enough. It that they're *too* close. They successfully produce hysteresis, which leads to hairs actually cut off *below* the upper surface of the skin. That's what often leads to ingrown hairs and related rashes. It's not something that occurs with DEs, since the effect requires multiple blade arrays. The closeness of your shave isn't going to be affected by what cream or soap you use; they provide cushion and slickness for the razor, which is always important, but more so if you use the type of razor that doesn't lead to $25 a month cartridge bills.

There's good reason, then, that DEs and brushes are so popular: they're harder to use well, but ultimately cheaper and way more comfortable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

There's good reason, then, that DEs and brushes are so popular: they're harder to use well, but ultimately cheaper and way more comfortable.

I don't think any of this is true. If they are so much better, why did they loose market share to cartridge razors? The cost isn't an issue unless you are direly poor and then cheap Bics are a ton cheaper then a DE setup. The obsession over shaving is so silly, it's like getting really into wiping your rear end or clipping your toenails.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I don't think any of this is true. If they are so much better, why did they loose market share to cartridge razors? The cost isn't an issue unless you are direly poor and then cheap Bics are a ton cheaper then a DE setup. The obsession over shaving is so silly, it's like getting really into wiping your rear end or clipping your toenails.

Well, gosh, if you don't think it it must not be true! Making improvements for comfort and to save a few bucks must be just like obsessing over your rear end in a top hat!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Folderol posted:

DE razors are worth it for the saved expense alone (more than a year's supply of blades for $20), but the use of soaps and brushes allows you to use hot lather, something difficult to do successfully with gels or canned foams, and something that does allow for a better shave.

As for closeness, the issue with cartridges is not that they aren't close enough. It that they're *too* close. They successfully produce hysteresis, which leads to hairs actually cut off *below* the upper surface of the skin. That's what often leads to ingrown hairs and related rashes. It's not something that occurs with DEs, since the effect requires multiple blade arrays. The closeness of your shave isn't going to be affected by what cream or soap you use; they provide cushion and slickness for the razor, which is always important, but more so if you use the type of razor that doesn't lead to $25 a month cartridge bills.

DEs are great and definitely save money in the long run, but they aren't some end-all solution to shaving issues. Generally people who have the worst issues with in-grown hairs/razor bumps have somewhat curly facial hair which doesn't need to be cut hyper short to cause issues. Particularly true with black or 'ethnic skin'. So even if you use a single blade or DE, the hair can still coil back into the skin.

There's a lot of hype with DE shaving.
DE's do really help with general razor burn and irritation from shaving though. I've just found that they aren't much different than disposables when it comes to ingrown hairs, at least for myself..

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

Well, gosh, if you don't think it it must not be true! Making improvements for comfort and to save a few bucks must be just like obsessing over your rear end in a top hat!

Yeah, obsessing over an obsolete piece of tech and framing it as anything other then nostalgia is pretty reasonable.

Can anyone recommend a good slide-rule or mimeograph machine?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

The ones from Ikea seem to do the job

There aren't any Ikeas in my state. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, obsessing over an obsolete piece of tech and framing it as anything other then nostalgia is pretty reasonable.

Can anyone recommend a good slide-rule or mimeograph machine?

Let me try again. I'll use short sentences so perhaps you'll be able to understand.

- The razors are cheaper
- They do not cut the hair beneath the skin, which helps with ingrowns
- It's easier to use hot lather

These items have nothing to do with nostalgia.

A recommendation has nothing to do with obsession, any more than recommending anything in this thread does, but thanks for straw man/ad hom!

• Locked thread