Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's not crazy big compared to similar cameras

http://camerasize.com/compare/#532,395

And really if your pockets are big enough to hide something like an x100 it's probably big enough to hold that. There aren't many aps-c cameras that you can hide in a normal sized pants pocket (ricoh GR maybe).

Sigma just trying to snype out a niche in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's 30mm deeper and 40mm wider compared to a camera with an OVF and the same focal length lens. It really doesn't help that it looks like they just glued their 30mm DN lens onto a body.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

"While retaining its famous textural expression, which seems to give form to the air itself, the updated Foveon direct image sensor produces images that are more colorful, rich, deep, and faithful than ever before."

Ugh, audiophile-level poo poo-heaping going on in that press release.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Those new Sigmas are ugly as sin. All I can see is this:

Stretch it out, add more grip, remove the phone, add the usual imaginary Foveon megapickle count.

Marketing BS posted:

its famous textural expression, which seems to give form to the air itself

I had a DP2 and, above ISO 200, the air did indeed have form. I thought it was just noise but I guess it was art.

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 10, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What's the deal with the megapixel count?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Fart Car '97 posted:

What's the deal with the megapixel count?

Each pixel captures each of the three colors so its like three times as many pixels!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wouldn't the pixel then just capture 1/3 of the amount of each color compared to a normal sensor?? Or is it just some other bullshit

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Wouldn't the pixel then just capture 1/3 of the amount of each color compared to a normal sensor?? Or is it just some other bullshit

Normal cameras have a bayer array, so each photosite only records 1 color, and the true color is interpolated from that. It's a question of whether your megapixel count is the number of raw photosites, or the number of photosensors total even if there's more than one at each site.

e. in theory it's the bayer array cameras that are only capturing 1/3 of the light at each site.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 10, 2014

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well anyways, at least Sigma dared to try something different. Whether it's successful or not (most likely not because Sigma and all) is another thing, but this is the kind of design that could potentially end up influencing future camera design in one way or another.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

HPL posted:

Well anyways, at least Sigma dared to try something different. Whether it's successful or not (most likely not because Sigma and all) is another thing, but this is the kind of design that could potentially end up influencing future camera design in one way or another.

God I hope not.. :tinfoil:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

HPL posted:

I don't think the design matters, but if they can make their Fovenon sensor more viable and operation less clunky then that'd be awesome.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

Sigma was sent out by the Japanese imaging industrial monopoly to buy out the disruptive American sensor company Foveon and kill it in its cradle. Ever since Sigma acquired Foveon Inc, it has put in less than half-heart effort to upgrade its technology and its colors has always been off. :tinfoil:

These new dp cameras are nothing but shows that pay lip service to the 3X sensor. :tinfoil: :tinfoil: Sigma designers has done their homework and made sure nobody will buy these "gun cameras"

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Digital Jesus posted:

Holy crap, that 27mm price is nuts, even if it is backordered. I don't think I can say no at $260 AU shipped.

Yeah I just put in an order for one too.

Why don't we get these crazy rebates in Aus?

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
I was considering returning the 27mm that I bought from Amazon.co.uk a week ago for about $450 and ordering one from B&H instead, but the price rises to $350 after shipping and taxes. The difference probably isn't worth the grief if anything went wrong with the lens.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

Yea those prices are more realistic across the board for all the A7 lenses imo.

I want to like that 35mm lens but imo it has the most unappealing bokeh I have ever seen in a lens. It looks like you ran a noise filter on it in all the images.

I don't even want to like it TBH, never been huge on the 35mm FL and a max aperture of f/2.8 on a modern non-pancake prime is pretty laughable at any price.

The 55mm tempts me though...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't even want to like it TBH, never been huge on the 35mm FL and a max aperture of f/2.8 on a modern non-pancake prime is pretty laughable at any price.

The 55mm tempts me though...

Lol, that's a good one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

a max aperture of f/2.8 on a modern non-pancake prime is pretty laughable at any price

The Nikon 20, 24, 28, 40, 60, 105, 135, 180, 300, and similar lenses from every other manufacturer told me to say hi.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
So is this a good lens or a crap lens?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQ1KNI8/ref=dra_a_cs_lb_hn_it_P1700_1000?tag=dradisplay-20

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

At that point it's not bokeh, it's soup.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's from China's only decent lens shop, distributed internationally under a fake Japanese brand name. I understand the construction is very solid and heavy.

I thought the optical quality is on the same level as SLR Magic's stuff. But according to this review
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138&catid=40&Itemid=2

it has more purple fringing and less sharpness than the SLR Magic lens as far as I can tell.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

I see no reason to get this over the awesome Fuji 35mm which is on sale right now.

edit: holy poo poo it's 780g. That is not going to be fun to use on a x-e1/2/pro1. Fuji 35mm is 187 g in comparison.

--

So, I remembered my dad has a bunch of 30+ year old Nikon primes, I picked up his 50mm f1.4 AIS and put it on the X-E1 with a crap Fotodiox adapter. I am absolutely in love with it. I want to start investing in manual focus lenses now. Any recommendations for must have lenses I can get for cheap?

Two test photos I took with the Nikon 50mm 1.4 AIS, loving love this lens:

Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AIS Tests by 35/50, on Flickr

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 12, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

keyframe posted:

I see no reason to get this over the awesome Fuji 35mm which is on sale right now.

edit: holy poo poo it's 780g. That is not going to be fun to use on a x-e1/2/pro1. Fuji 35mm is 187 g in comparison.

--

So, I remembered my dad has a bunch of 30+ year old Nikon primes, I picked up his 50mm f1.4 AIS and put it on the X-E1 with a crap Fotodiox adapter. I am absolutely in love with it. I want to start investing in manual focus lenses now. Any recommendations for must have lenses I can get for cheap?

Two test photos I took with the Nikon 50mm 1.4 AIS, loving love this lens:

I don't care if you have a 35mm already, everyone should own an old takumar 35/3.5.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Sony combined the NEX3 and NEX5 lines into A5000, and then combined the NEX6 and NEX7 into A6000.

The A6000 has improved hard spec sheet stuff on AF speed, pixel count and AF area etc etc. Ok so far so good. But it has water downed control from the N6, and worse EVF than N6?

I don't get where Sony is going. It seems to me Sony is trying to violently combine the NEX bodies and DSLR A bodies in a single A???? series. Where is Sony going to called the A58/A65 class successor with the E mount? A4000? A8000? It doesn't make sense either way. Sony moving in such a hurry to kill the A mount AND move to full frame at the same time don't make sense to me either. Do they know the current owners will buy in the new One Sony direction? The only Sony camera I like is RX100.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I don't get where Sony is going.
Nobody does.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

"Good" if you have a use for soft shittybokey. Most folks end up stopping down to 1.4-2 before they get anything decent out of them.

Skip this, get the Fuji 35mm X 1.4 :snoop:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't even think Sony themselves know where they're going. If I decide to stick with Sony and upgrade bodies, right now I'd just save up until I can get an A7. The A5000/A6000 don't seem like a major enough upgrade from my F3 considering that I use MF adapters exclusively.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Still rocking my NEX-5N. In fact I'm finally getting around to replacing my 18-50 that my dog ate months ago. Scored the 16-50 lens on ebay today for $130.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Musket posted:

"Good" if you have a use for soft shittybokey. Most folks end up stopping down to 1.4-2 before they get anything decent out of them.

Skip this, get the Fuji 35mm X 1.4 :snoop:

Just get the Leica 50mm 0.95 Noctilux instead. :smuggo:

"It's a landmark achievement in lens design and the physical prove[sic] of an enduring fascination for limits in photographic culture and technique. Photography has always been about photographing at the highest shutter speeds, at the fastest film speeds, with the fastest lenses and in as little light as possible" - Thorsten Overgaard

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Geektox posted:

"It's a landmark achievement in lens design and the physical prove[sic] of an enduring fascination for limits in photographic culture and technique. Photography has always been about photographing at the highest shutter speeds, at the fastest film speeds, with the fastest lenses and in as little light as possible" - Thorsten Overgaard

Ill stick with my 58mm Noct-Nikkor. I dont need .95 bokey.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Geektox posted:

This is just one quote - that site is all crazy.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Lol I already quoted some Leica masturbatory fantasy of his in the internet photographer quote thread.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krooj posted:

This is just one quote - that site is all crazy.

What site is this?

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't care if you have a 35mm already, everyone should own an old takumar 35/3.5.

I am buying the Takumar 135/3.5 in an hour for 30$ :snoop:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Here's a dank review of the Sony a6000. Check out that sweet AF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6N2KQ26fd4

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
x100s owners:

http://www.fujirumors.com/image-of-a-new-tele-conversion-lens-for-your-x100s-50mm-equivalent/

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

keyframe posted:

What site is this?

http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M9-digital-rangefinder-camera.html

Here you go!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That would be amazing if it were real, and it were decent quality.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Helicity posted:

That would be amazing if it were real, and it were decent quality.

Yeah, of course they're doing this. I JUST shelled out for the X-E2 specifically because I wanted that focal length. Why wouldn't they gently caress with me?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Also, an X-mount 24mm f/8 bodycap lens? :fap:
http://www.fujirumors.com/fuji-unveils-new-24mm-36mm-equivalent-f8-0-cap-lens/

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jesus, Fuji is seriously throwing down this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, they're doing a great job trying to copy Olympus as thoroughly as possible :buddy: