Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

coathat posted:

Hi-Score Gril is finally getting translated and y'all should read it. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/hi-score-girl-r9530

I love Hi-Score Girl, have read all the volumes and am looking forward to the anime, but man that manga translation has serious problems. Feels like they're just guessing around on some parts which is a shame as I'd love to recommend the comic to some friends. Like, chapter 4 page 7: "And a shoryuken would've been impossible too. Don't use your fists with this guy...!!!" should've been "Don't use Ken if you can't even do a shoryuken!". Same page, "directly competing with me earlier he took heavy damage, should I call it quits here" -> "I guess I'll stand back before receiving direct bodily harm". Pretty much every other line on that page was mistranslated too.

It's such a nice manga though, really makes me feel nostalgic for the whole arcade culture even when I never was part of it. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the artstyle but that really grew on me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zingih posted:

I love Hi-Score Girl, have read all the volumes and am looking forward to the anime, but man that manga translation has serious problems. Feels like they're just guessing around on some parts which is a shame as I'd love to recommend the comic to some friends. Like, chapter 4 page 7: "And a shoryuken would've been impossible too. Don't use your fists with this guy...!!!" should've been "Don't use Ken if you can't even do a shoryuken!". Same page, "directly competing with me earlier he took heavy damage, should I call it quits here" -> "I guess I'll stand back before receiving direct bodily harm". Pretty much every other line on that page was mistranslated too.

It's such a nice manga though, really makes me feel nostalgic for the whole arcade culture even when I never was part of it. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the artstyle but that really grew on me too.

Oh god did they seriously see ケン and translate it as 拳 that is amazingly terrible.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Hi Score Girl 5! Now with 100% more Haggar!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

What the gently caress is going on in Alice in Hell? :stare:

I can't tell if post-blood-replacement Alice is fully compos mentis and just acting out because she's sick of the way Shuu treats her, or if she's juuust compos mentis enough to be non compos mentis. Was she trying to drown herself in milk there?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Five whole Kaiji chapters droppin' out of nowhere.:eyepop: Maybe this is the start of us actually getting chapters more than twice every three months regularly now. (probably not.)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone reading All You Need Is Kill? I just started and it seems sorta promising, I think the artist of Death Note and Bakuman is involved. Anyway it's from the light novel currently being adapted into a Tom Cruise sci-fi action movie (Edge of Tomorrow). Feels like it's basically Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers (sans any of the humor of either, of course).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's licensed and running in US Shonen Jump, incidentally.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It's licensed and running in US Shonen Jump, incidentally.
Really? I had no idea. Should I remove the Kissmanga link? It's listed as Seinen and definitely has a more brutal Seinen feel to it so that's pretty surprising (though obviously the lines blur and sometimes depend arbitrarily on what you're published in).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Five whole Kaiji chapters droppin' out of nowhere.:eyepop: Maybe this is the start of us actually getting chapters more than twice every three months regularly now. (probably not.)

Does the current gamble have a name? The Asian 3?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Really? I had no idea. Should I remove the Kissmanga link? It's listed as Seinen and definitely has a more brutal Seinen feel to it so that's pretty surprising (though obviously the lines blur and sometimes depend arbitrarily on what you're published in).

Having read the novel, it's sort of a weird mix. The tone is seinen, but the two protagonists are shounen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The funniest thing is how they are casting Tom Cruise as a young rookie soldier.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I read the novella and enjoyed it more than I expected. Are there any other translated Japanese novellas that aren't about getting it on with handicapped half-sisters?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Well i finished everything there is for Berserk, and overall it was fantastic. But i feel pretty much everything after Griffith is Revived, the tone shifts and turns into watch Guts overcome impossible odds with the armour, only to be pulled back to sanity by his witch. I can't see how this Manga is ever going to be finished unfortunately.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I read the novella and enjoyed it more than I expected. Are there any other translated Japanese novellas that aren't about getting it on with handicapped half-sisters?

The Baccano light novels are pretty good. There are translations collected here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Genocyber posted:

The Baccano light novels are pretty good. There are translations collected here.

Word of caution, only one translator out of all of those people is actually translating from Japanese :v:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 15, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Who cares? They were all very enjoyable regardless.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Who cares? They were all very enjoyable regardless.

I would advance the opinion that mistranslations aren't enjoyable but whatever floats your boat I guess. Baccano is good, though Narita has this annoying habit of recapping things every volume, or sometimes multiple times a volume, that anyone who's been reading the story probably already knows.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Chas McGill posted:

Spice and Wolf! I've been reading the books on interlibrary loan, and it's neat to experience the characters' thoughts and have things explained that the anime can't really show.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
So started reading Ajin, and it seems OK so far, kind of gory. It's about a race of unkillable human-like beings that get discovered and the conflict between them and people who want to "research" the gently caress out of them. Protagonist is an assholes, wait no pretty much everyone in this manga is an rear end in a top hat.

Selling points:
Killing yourself as a battle tactic
Creepy mummy dudes (ajin's "shadows")
Assholes everywhere
Potential for drinking game based upon dick moves people make: High
Villains with "motives"
Worst bleached blond hair this side of the 90s
Hyper-realistic mummy butts? (cannot unsee):

It's been licensed by someone for some reason, so only the first 10 chapters are available in English.
Chinese scanlation project seems to be continuing at a brisk pace though, although these translators seem to find it vital to include piles of doujinshi with the original scans (thanks bros the series was homoerotic enough as is!).

If it sounds like I don't like this, sum it up to me being bitter that the last chapter in the Chinese release just ended with the dickest move ever being pulled, I will definitely say it is keeping me interested just to see what happens.

Like seriously someone tell me they are caught up to Chapter 17 so we can discuss what an rear end in a top hat a certain character is :argh:.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was reading that but becoming less and less interested, so it kinda sounds like I might as well drop it if that's the direction it's going. Reading about assholes being assholes isn't high on my list of things I find enjoyable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They're more amoral than assholes, which is a big plot point.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Everything Burrito posted:

I was reading that but becoming less and less interested, so it kinda sounds like I might as well drop it if that's the direction it's going. Reading about assholes being assholes isn't high on my list of things I find enjoyable.

Well considering that with it licensed it will probably not get fully scanlated any time soon, you can rest assured the next time you will have the chance to read it will be in like a year after they have gone through the sections you have probably already read, at which point, it might be clearer if that is indeed the direction it is going in. (Next month should show give a good indication)

RatHat posted:

They're more amoral than assholes, which is a big plot point.

Yeah dude but the latter is a lot more fun to say. Also, RatHat how far are you through it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'd read the first 10 chapters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I get what some of you guys mean with getting less and less interested in Ajin, something made worse by the slow scanlating rate...but I do definitely recognize it as a series that looks like it's worth hanging onto regardless. I especially got a hint of that in the latest chapter, things are getting interesting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What chapter does the Kaiji anime end at? And is it fairly faithful? There are quite a few early Kaiji chapters that were never scanalated.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I get what some of you guys mean with getting less and less interested in Ajin, something made worse by the slow scanlating rate...but I do definitely recognize it as a series that looks like it's worth hanging onto regardless. I especially got a hint of that in the latest chapter, things are getting interesting.

Scanlation is dead I think at this point because of the licensing, so unless you are reading raws or the Chinese version I would definitely recommend moving on. One thing I am uncertain about is if the original author left, which might explain some of the shift in what is going on (not listed as an author on the second or third volumes). This might explain why it gets weird later on, because it shifts constantly around different perspectives and it's no longer clear who is driving the story, with some major characters from earlier in the story seemingly dropping off the face of the earth, and some significant differences in characterization of others.

I am betting this series is going to be a trainwreck, but it might be a good one to watch unfold.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RatHat posted:

What chapter does the Kaiji anime end at? And is it fairly faithful? There are quite a few early Kaiji chapters that were never scanalated.

The anime is extremely faithful and well done. After you finish season 2 next up is Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji which is mahjong. Then its Kazuya-hen which is the new one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Perfect, I can skip Part 3 then. I always find mahjong confusing.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RatHat posted:

The mahjong in part 3 is extremely watered down. The level of understanding necessary to get the gist of things could be acquired in at most 10 minutes. The translators were also nice enough to add little blurbs at the end of each chapter explaining what happened mahjong wise in further detail. I'd say it's worth it. Part 3 is very good and introduces a very important character. Also, I feel that part 4 is not as powerful without knowledge of the events of part 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 29

May have given it away a little too easily by having Hero be so nonchalant, but it was still a pretty fun chapter. Wonder if Hero knew Archer was there all along or only just after the assassination.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RatHat posted:

Read Legend of Koizumi for a primer.

:v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 29

May have given it away a little too easily by having Hero be so nonchalant, but it was still a pretty fun chapter. Wonder if Hero knew Archer was there all along or only just after the assassination.

Since Demon Queen has the seal, it's clear that her servant, Hero, will beat the poo poo out of the blue demons and their army, assuming he even needs to (it's presumably theirs, at least).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Wookie Bouquet posted:

So started reading Ajin, and it seems OK so far, kind of gory. It's about a race of unkillable human-like beings that get discovered and the conflict between them and people who want to "research" the gently caress out of them. Protagonist is an assholes, wait no pretty much everyone in this manga is an rear end in a top hat.

Selling points:
Killing yourself as a battle tactic
Creepy mummy dudes (ajin's "shadows")
Assholes everywhere
Potential for drinking game based upon dick moves people make: High
Villains with "motives"
Worst bleached blond hair this side of the 90s
Hyper-realistic mummy butts? (cannot unsee):

It's been licensed by someone for some reason, so only the first 10 chapters are available in English.
Chinese scanlation project seems to be continuing at a brisk pace though, although these translators seem to find it vital to include piles of doujinshi with the original scans (thanks bros the series was homoerotic enough as is!).

If it sounds like I don't like this, sum it up to me being bitter that the last chapter in the Chinese release just ended with the dickest move ever being pulled, I will definitely say it is keeping me interested just to see what happens.

Like seriously someone tell me they are caught up to Chapter 17 so we can discuss what an rear end in a top hat a certain character is :argh:.

I read upto chapter 10 last night, and the story is interesting. But gently caress that is the first manga that made me feel extremely uncomfortable with the gore.

What the gently caress are they even trying to accomplish with the experiments? There seemed to be no science, just hosed up torture.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

UberJumper posted:

I read upto chapter 10 last night, and the story is interesting. But gently caress that is the first manga that made me feel extremely uncomfortable with the gore.

What the gently caress are they even trying to accomplish with the experiments? There seemed to be no science, just hosed up torture.

Yeah it's pretty much gore for the sake of gore (which is not something I enjoy), almost as if someone took a shonen manga and decided to make it "seinen" simply by adding uncomfortable levels of hosed up poo poo and then filling the cast with warcriminal trainees (post-chapter 17 spoilers: even motherfucking Nagai). It's dumb, it's not tackling real world issues, or even proxies for those, and the characters are, past the first few chapters, completely unlikable.

Like I'll be honest, I think it's bad, but it is bad in a way that I find both sad and hilarious, case in point the absolutely pointless gore/torture poo poo: "OOhh gritty!!" but it's hilarious because it doesn't even build to anything, the supposed character development/revelation/whatever they were intending is completely irrelevant to the following characterization. Pre-Chapter 10 spoilers: the only moral compass of the series is never heard from again, following their role early on, and the main character being a loving rear end in a top hat doesn't even bother saying goodbye The only "death" that the Ajin can face losing their head, is completely pointless because they would come back with the same memories and same personality albeit their "conciousness" would be die, but what does that even mean? To an outsider it wouldn't matter at all, because even if an Ajin gets their head chopped, they are still going to have the same role in the story after it grows back, literally nothing would change, it certainly doesn't matter to the reader whether we are watching HEADCLONE AJIN #1 or HEADCLONE AJIN #2 if they are completely identical, which brings to the hilarity of where I think they are going with Chapter 17: pretty sure they are getting rid of Nagai as a main character, as he just committed a table flipping hosed up act of sociopathic bullshit, when 1. there were clearly easier alternatives 2. it will change nothing in terms of his ultimate safety and 3. yeaaaaah there is no way this is a long-term solution. See now the problem is: how the gently caress do you "get rid" of an unkillable character in a way that isn't equally mind numbingly hosed up. It's just dumb, and I will probably keep reading it to see just how dumb it gets.

Basically bad people doing bad things for NO ACTUAL REASON. Like ok read it for the mummy butts, but you could be better spending your time sanding your nuts.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's a shame really. I think it had some interesting ideas at the start and I might keep up with it every now and then as new chapters release but it really is kinda bad.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
http://blackinque.imgur.com/ apparently this has up to chapter 17 of Ajin translated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silento posted:

Since Demon Queen has the seal, it's clear that her servant, Hero, will beat the poo poo out of the blue demons and their army, assuming he even needs to (it's presumably theirs, at least).
(Maoyuu)You can kind of make out the long ears, so it is indeed probably the Blue Demons' army. With the prince throwing the Beast Clan under the bus it's looking like this is building towards Blue Demons vs. everyone (not just Hero and company), resulting in an ousting of them from that council. Basically putting a neat little bow on the demon side for the foreseeable future.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I appreciate the spoiler breakdowns for Ajin. I'd only read up to ch. 9 but wasn't really liking where it was going even at that point so I'm gonna drop it because I read a ton of stuff as it is, no sense in dragging along something I can see is not my thing even though it seemed kind of interesting at first.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Everything Burrito posted:

I appreciate the spoiler breakdowns for Ajin. I'd only read up to ch. 9 but wasn't really liking where it was going even at that point so I'm gonna drop it because I read a ton of stuff as it is, no sense in dragging along something I can see is not my thing even though it seemed kind of interesting at first.

Again, I'm pretty sure the degradation in quality has to do with the original author leaving. Volume 1 lists him as an author, but vol 2 (Chapter 6 on) and vol 3 only list the artist. That sort of coincides with the weird characterization change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Anyone reading All You Need Is Kill? I just started and it seems sorta promising, I think the artist of Death Note and Bakuman is involved. Anyway it's from the light novel currently being adapted into a Tom Cruise sci-fi action movie (Edge of Tomorrow). Feels like it's basically Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers (sans any of the humor of either, of course).

Chas McGill posted:

I think the manga is probably the best format for this story. The LN is pretty good, but I think it falls down a bit when it gets more action heavy and that might work better in the manga. Also I think the opening is a lot stronger than the resolution, I wouldn't say it does anything bad.. but it gets less engaging as it loses its sense of mystery.

It might just be my pessimism speaking but I'm apprehensive about the movie, it COULD be good but also it could completely miss the point and fail.

I didn't realize LNs were THAT light though, you can comfortably digest the whole thing in just a couple of hours. Is that normal for LNs or was this one lighter than most?