Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Galler posted:

I have no experience with that particular one but my dad has had one of these types of manual impact drivers for ages and it does work. I would still get a separate breaker bar though.
I have never actually seen a manual impact in person, but it's now pretty easy to see the inspiration for the tool I posted.

MRC48B posted:

...I guess if you have room to swing the hammer, and have room in your toolbox for both that thing and the hammer, it's p. nifty.
Yeah the "room to swing a hammer" is what makes this thing a bit of a gimmick because if you have room for it, and room to swing a hammer, then how in gently caress do you not have room for an electric/air impact?

If the mechanism doesn't get in the way of using it as a regular breaker (including putting more than 400Nm through it the old fashioned cheater-pipe way) then I could see "hammer for torque boost" being a nice feature to have on occasion, but I'm guessing the mechanism probably does get in the way and/or make for a weaker tool in general.

InitialDave posted:

If possible, a breaker bar with the female side of the hinge joint on the socket side, and the male on the handle side, is slightly better - if it snaps, it's usually at the female side's ears, so cheaper to replace that way, but it's a fractional difference in terms of what you should buy.
I was wondering about which way to go with this (I had guessed the other way, because it looks like the torque is being applied to a smaller area of the tool). Thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
So that's what those not-quite-phillips bit's are - odd that you are having trouble finding them, I've got some in every set of screwdriver bits I own (they might be more popular here in Australia though).

In the process of looking up those bit's I skimmed through wiki's list of screw drives. One thing I've never understood is companies trying to prevent product repair via obscure screw drive types, because I've never come across a single one that couldn't be defeated via a flathead, a crap driver with a similar (and soft) enough head to deform into the right shape when hammered into the screw, or worst case, a crap driver modified with a bench grinder and/or dremel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fuzz1111 posted:

Yeah the "room to swing a hammer" is what makes this thing a bit of a gimmick because if you have room for it, and room to swing a hammer, then how in gently caress do you not have room for an electric/air impact?

I guess.....but I pretty much exclusively use a manual impact for those drat phillips head screws that retain rotors. I use it for other things too....sometimes you just have a space where it makes sense, and sometimes you just don't have air available.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fuzz1111 posted:

In the process of looking up those bit's I skimmed through wiki's list of screw drives. One thing I've never understood is companies trying to prevent product repair via obscure screw drive types, because I've never come across a single one that couldn't be defeated via a flathead, a crap driver with a similar (and soft) enough head to deform into the right shape when hammered into the screw, or worst case, a crap driver modified with a bench grinder and/or dremel.

Apple's Pentalobe design was pretty effective until someone made a mold from the screwhead somehow and started manufacturing tools. They're super tiny, so you can't use any force, they're an odd number of lobes so you can't slot directly across two of them, and they don't have sharp corners so you can't get a good bite with a flathead anyway.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone looking for some cheap sockets or wrenches?
Head over to Sears.com and sort by price. They are clearing out USA made Industrial and Polished wrenches/sockets. I bought a set of metric and standard wrenches to give to a buddy who had his bag jacked from his truck.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

Head over to Sears.com and sort by price. They are clearing out USA made Industrial and Polished wrenches/sockets. I bought a set of metric and standard wrenches to give to a buddy who had his bag jacked from his truck.

One day I went on there and found a full set of Craftsman Industrail made in USA SAE sockets, shallow and deep, 1/2" drive, with a flex handle and a ratchet, for $30. I have not seen a deal there since that can compete.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

the spyder posted:

I'm finding a ton of singular sockets, but no sets. Am I missing something?

Sears.com > Tools > Sockets, sort by price low -> high. ~500 results.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one ever hosed around with gas powered air compressors? It seems like it would be a nice viable option for, well, every thing. I have to do a shingle job at my moms house this summer some time. And really, it would be handy for other things, plus once I get a bigger place, I figure that would be easier to deal with than trying to get 240v service.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200377763_200377763

The specs look good, 8.2 CFM for 90 PSI (means I can pretty much run all the cutting and sanding tools I want. Plus the portability. I have also seen guys that make an extra muffler to really quiet things down on single cylinders.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Could you find a big trailer-mounted one from a surplus place or machinery auction? Or would that be overkill?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Could you find a big trailer-mounted one from a surplus place or machinery auction? Or would that be overkill?

Overkill for what I want to do. It sounds like a great idea, but trying to store it, etc., I would rather have a wheelbarrow model.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Galler posted:

I have no experience with that particular one but my dad has had one of these types of manual impact drivers for ages and it does work. I would still get a separate breaker bar though.

We use them in the workshop (oilfield equipment) almost daily, and I have one in my own toolbox as well - it's the ideal tool for removing brake disc retaining screws that have corroded in, and large hex/torx head bolts that would otherwise shear if you use a breaker bar on them.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004
Has anyone bought or used the new Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" Impact Wrench (2763-20) yet? CPO outlet is running a 15% off sale this weekend, making it $195 shipped. I'm really considering getting it, just wondering if it's worth the extra $40 over the regular M18? I already have a couple of M18 tools and batteries, and so far I love using them.

Only review I found was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-jgNv56f8

It's almost got me sold.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

reddeathdrinker posted:

We use them in the workshop (oilfield equipment) almost daily, and I have one in my own toolbox as well - it's the ideal tool for removing brake disc retaining screws that have corroded in, and large hex/torx head bolts that would otherwise shear if you use a breaker bar on them.

I often don't even bother trying to remove phillips or pozi head screws with a screwdriver, I just grab the impact driver right off the bat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

eddyc49 posted:

Has anyone bought or used the new Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" Impact Wrench (2763-20) yet? CPO outlet is running a 15% off sale this weekend, making it $195 shipped. I'm really considering getting it, just wondering if it's worth the extra $40 over the regular M18? I already have a couple of M18 tools and batteries, and so far I love using them.

Only review I found was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-jgNv56f8

It's almost got me sold.

I got it! It's awesome. It's large and heavy, perhaps go to the Home Depot (were I bought mine with a gift card I purchased online with a Christmas bonus gift card from work, great way to save at least 8% at a big store) and pick it up first. I haven't gotten to do the real heavy lifting with it yet, but it's been great for taking the wheels off and snugging them up, it spins the nut off quick. Hard to say if it's worth the extra over the regular M18, but based on the specs you get double the torque. I have a distinct feeling that any bolt that's 1,100 ft-lbs of stuck is likely to break before it comes loose.

Basically everything on my truck is 40 years of rusted on so that was my goal - looking forward to putting it through it's paces. Certainly was a lot cheaper than a compressor and air torque wrench, and if you have the batteries/charger you're saving a bundle over any other brand of electric.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I got it! It's awesome. It's large and heavy, perhaps go to the Home Depot (were I bought mine with a gift card I purchased online with a Christmas bonus gift card from work, great way to save at least 8% at a big store) and pick it up first. I haven't gotten to do the real heavy lifting with it yet, but it's been great for taking the wheels off and snugging them up, it spins the nut off quick. Hard to say if it's worth the extra over the regular M18, but based on the specs you get double the torque. I have a distinct feeling that any bolt that's 1,100 ft-lbs of stuck is likely to break before it comes loose.

Basically everything on my truck is 40 years of rusted on so that was my goal - looking forward to putting it through it's paces. Certainly was a lot cheaper than a compressor and air torque wrench, and if you have the batteries/charger you're saving a bundle over any other brand of electric.

Awesome. I have a rusty daily driver, and I figured this might be a good investment. None of the local HD's near me carry it, but I'm pretty sure the heft won't be a huge problem. I already have the 1/4" impact for small jobs.

I was able to combine a couple of deals, and got the Fuel 1/2" impact, a compact hack saw, and a multi-bit screwdriver for $198 shipped.

Now the waiting begins. :(

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

eddyc49 posted:

Awesome. I have a rusty daily driver, and I figured this might be a good investment. None of the local HD's near me carry it, but I'm pretty sure the heft won't be a huge problem. I already have the 1/4" impact for small jobs.

I was able to combine a couple of deals, and got the Fuel 1/2" impact, a compact hack saw, and a multi-bit screwdriver for $198 shipped.

Now the waiting begins. :(

Update: Got the impact gun in, and the only word I can use to describe it is incredible. I've only tried it in a couple of bolts so far, but the same things my corded impacts take forever to loosen fall instantly to this thing.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
If anyone is looking around for a good shop vacuum, lowes is blowing out these 16gal 5.75hp beauties,in store, for $30 a pop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Alright, Kastein, what tools am I going to need for a rebuild of my D44 front differential? Assume I have nothing.

I was going to send it to a shop but if I can do it for even the same price, use quality parts, give it a nice epoxy paint, and have a few more tools more to my name, I'm in.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

McSpatula posted:

If anyone is looking around for a good shop vacuum, lowes is blowing out these 16gal 5.75hp beauties,in store, for $30 a pop.

404 error. Mind reposting?

e: nvm, the link breaks if you try and go to it from the Awful mobile app

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 21, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Who the hell rates vacuum cleaners in horsepower?

That's a 4225* watt vacuum cleaner, horsepower is for engines only, dammit.

*(Bullcrap marketing number, real world is probably more like 2500)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 21, 2014

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
That's clearly not meant to regular house use :stare:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Who the hell rates vacuum cleaners in horsepower?

That's a 4225* watt vacuum cleaner, horsepower is for engines only, dammit.

*(Bullcrap marketing number, real world is probably more like 2500)

Most electric motors of that size and larger have HP ratings, at least on the crap that I've got (air compressors, drill press, etc). I agree it's marketing BS, but it's pretty common and has been for a long time.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The worst part is its just starting amps. Since you can't run more than a 1 hp motor on a 120 15A circuit anyways, they use the inrush to call it 5.5hp.

Real 5.5 hp at 120V is more like 50 A.

They should just use air watts. Which is airflow x suction. So no one would actually use it as it really measures the effectiveness of the vacuum instead of how crappy the motor is at starting.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
'Suction' does not exist.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
If we're going to be pedantic, suction does exist. It is a virtual force from the perspective of the high pressure side. Suction does not physically exist.

You only need to change a few numbers to negative to realize its existence in mathmatics

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
One of those shop vacs saved my rear end a bit when my washing maching dumped its entire contents of water on the floor. I had a small shop vac that couldn't suck water up to save its life. A neighbor brought over one of those 16 gallon beasts and it was amazing at sucking up the water. Helped reduce the damage done to the floor greatly. Wish I could find that deal locally--unfortunately they're all sold out.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Walmart has a Stanley tool chest with screw drivers and tools for $79 shipped. It is as craptacular as it sounds but I am tired of having tools laying all over the place, and who can't use more tools!

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Value-of-the-Day/1058864

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Elephanthead posted:

Walmart has a Stanley tool chest with screw drivers and tools for $79 shipped. It is as craptacular as it sounds but I am tired of having tools laying all over the place, and who can't use more tools!

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Value-of-the-Day/1058864
sold out

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Picked up a electric impact gun from Harbor Freight yesterday for $49.99, wont get a chance to try it out until Saturday.

Just cant bring myself spend the cash on a new compressor, my old one is fine for tires and air ratchet but doesn't have enough oomph to run the impact gun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilnissan posted:

Picked up a electric impact gun from Harbor Freight yesterday for $49.99, wont get a chance to try it out until Saturday.

They're OK-ish the few times I've used one. I think the biggest problem is that they're HUGE.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Let it break in for a while before you make up your mind, I know the one I had seemed to get more powerful after a bit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

revmoo posted:

Let it break in for a while before you make up your mind, I know the one I had seemed to get more powerful after a bit.

Yeah, probably from all the moving parts finally grinding each other's casting burrs off. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it is anything like their angle grinder it will grind off more than casting burrs :v:

(I had one of their angle grinders try and maim me with a cooling fan blade that it abruptly jettisoned out a cooling vent in my direction. gently caress ever buying anything HF with an electric motor in it that I have to be near.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The angle grinder I bought from harbor freight kept spitting out chunks/bits of white stuff (bearing grease?) even after hours of use.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
As long as it will take off the jack up lug nuts that the shop cross threaded on one wheel I'll be happy.

I picked it up to try and make life a little better then replacing the factory shocks and mangled wheel studs on a 93 K1500 this weekend.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

If it is anything like their angle grinder it will grind off more than casting burrs :v:

(I had one of their angle grinders try and maim me with a cooling fan blade that it abruptly jettisoned out a cooling vent in my direction. gently caress ever buying anything HF with an electric motor in it that I have to be near.)

I have four of their grinders and every one has lasted 100x longer then I thought it would. Mind you I did immediately yank off the gear box, clean, and grease everything with GOOD grease. This was 4-5 years ago, so I'm sure the quality has just gone down further.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Whenever I think of harbor freight tools with electric motors, I can't help remembering the time a friend of mine got a rotary tool from them. That thing had such a lovely pissant zero torque motor in it, that when he tried to cutoff a small (#10 probably) screw, the slightest bit of pressure would bog it down such that it took a couple minutes to cutoff a single screw. Its really the most unbelievable piece of poo poo tool I've ever seen.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think I'd have to be pretty hard-up to buy a power tool at Harbor Freight. I just had one open by me and my purchases so far have consisted of some wire brush cups, foam brushes, air compressor attachments/accessories, and a 7'x9' tarp.

They should just change their name from "Harbor Freight Tools" to "Disposable Tools".

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Their air tools are great though. I find myself buying poo poo just to have. Ten bucks for an air hammer? Sure why not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The air hammer might be, but their air cutoff tool was a pile of poo poo (at least for me) and so was their air nibbler. You know how far I can throw a harbor freight air nibbler? About 75 feet, apparently.