Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Whoa, are you running the stock exhaust with the akro map? I've heard warnings against going that, as you end up getting the stock exhaust even hotter. I'm sure I remember hearing about someone setting something on fire doing this.

Link? I havent had any issues and the bike runs pretty nicely. I know these bikes like to run on the rich side because of the cooling effect of the gas but I hadnt heard anythig besides that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Link? I havent had any issues and the bike runs pretty nicely. I know these bikes like to run on the rich side because of the cooling effect of the gas but I hadnt heard anythig besides that.

I'm trying to find something but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, might have been ADV or the KTM UK forums. Totally anecdotal too, so maybe (probably?) it was bullshit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm trying to find something but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, might have been ADV or the KTM UK forums. Totally anecdotal too, so maybe (probably?) it was bullshit.

I haven't noticed the temp gauge going any higher. The (stock) exhaust still burns with the force of a thousand suns, but that's normal.

Out of curiousity - do you have any good links on tuning ont he 690s? I remember there was a german forum where a guy mentioned that the ideal A/F ratio on them is somewhere in the 12.8 range, due to cylinder cooling properties of the fuel. I keep wheelieing gas out of the back so it's hard to tell what the gas mileage actually is.

Edit: This guy: http://www.ktmforum.eu/forum3/wbb/690-supermoto-690-smc-690-enduro-690-duke/690-lc4-tuning/19947-neues-aus-der-tuning-k%C3%BCche/

I should also probably get an EGT sensor when I start in on this - those seem to be somewhat useful for adjusting timing.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

I haven't noticed the temp gauge going any higher. The (stock) exhaust still burns with the force of a thousand suns, but that's normal.

Out of curiousity - do you have any good links on tuning ont he 690s? I remember there was a german forum where a guy mentioned that the ideal A/F ratio on them is somewhere in the 12.8 range, due to cylinder cooling properties of the fuel. I keep wheelieing gas out of the back so it's hard to tell what the gas mileage actually is.

Edit: This guy: http://www.ktmforum.eu/forum3/wbb/690-supermoto-690-smc-690-enduro-690-duke/690-lc4-tuning/19947-neues-aus-der-tuning-k%C3%BCche/

I should also probably get an EGT sensor when I start in on this - those seem to be somewhat useful for adjusting timing.

On supermoto junkie there was a thread by intune who tried a fair bit in getting his SMC tuned right, seemed he spent a fair bit of time, money and dyno work to test it all out. I'm on my phone right now so I can't easily chase it down.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I just ordered a ton of parts to try to get my 625 SMC in order. New camshaft (to primarily replace the auto-decomp which I think has gone out), new exhaust and intake cam roller bearings (regular wear items in the LC4 apparently), associated gaskets, a new brush plate for the starter motor, and a new spring for the sprag clutch to hopefully improve starter engagement. Hopefully this fixes all of my issues and get's it back up to being a toy and not a maintenance project.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Z3n posted:

Theoretically it would run hotter since there would presumably be more unburnt fuel for the cat to burn but I'd guess without the O2 sensor and SAI it wouldn't have the extra air it needs. I suppose it could conceivably run cooler in that case. This is mostly speculation and I could easily be full of poo poo though.

Personally I was super happy to ditch the stock exhaust, that thing gets terrifyingly hot and is super heavy and ugly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've been supermoto shopping again, something about the recent tiny amount of snow we got made me want one badly. I'm waiting for one guy to get back to me on "title issues' for a 2008 WR250X (primarily what I've been looking for) but there's been a 2007 Husqvarna SM610 listed for a month or more I'm thinking of going over and taking a look at, have also looked at a few DRZ's but they seem to be horribly overpriced or horribly modified.

I think I remember someone in here having a SM610, anything worth noting beyond what's in the ADV SM610 megathread?
edit:Found Safety Dance's SM610 helpful posts, might go take a look at it just to see how it is to ride.

Further edit: So SM610 vs WR250X for commuting (backroad and highways <60mph) and occasional mountain riding.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 4, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been supermoto shopping again, something about the recent tiny amount of snow we got made me want one badly. I'm waiting for one guy to get back to me on "title issues' for a 2008 WR250X (primarily what I've been looking for) but there's been a 2007 Husqvarna SM610 listed for a month or more I'm thinking of going over and taking a look at, have also looked at a few DRZ's but they seem to be horribly overpriced or horribly modified.

I think I remember someone in here having a SM610, anything worth noting beyond what's in the ADV SM610 megathread?
edit:Found Safety Dance's SM610 helpful posts, might go take a look at it just to see how it is to ride.

Further edit: So SM610 vs WR250X for commuting (backroad and highways <60mph) and occasional mountain riding.

The SM610's ballin' fun if you're willing to accept everything that comes with a rare bike (limited aftermarket and parts scarcity). It's got about 20 extra horsepower in the same weight as a DRZ, it's light and tossable, and really a lot of fun to ride. Having gone from the SM610 to a bike with twice the weight and power, however, I'll say that the SM610 is annoying in how it's not comfortable to go much faster than 70 mph on the Interstate, and it reaaaly doesn't want to go much faster than 80 or 85. Then again, it's a supermoto. They're not for going really fast on the Interstate. It's just a gripe of mine that, living in the middle of a big city, I have to sit on the highway for at least an hour or so to get to interesting roads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

610 sits in the middle between drz and ktm 690 in terms of just about everything.
Engines seem ok unless you get a lemon and they can be a touch more maintenance intensive (cam chain needs to be replaced every so often).

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
I own a 2008 Husqvarna sm610 and so does one of my best friends. Parts are limited but I love it! WAYYY more power than a simple DRZ (even with mods, but a slouch when compared to a similar year 690 SMC. It is very low maintenance, however at around 9K-10K miles the cam chain and tensioner, NEEDS to be replaced. As long as this, along with adjustments and oil changes are done, it will run almost as reliable as a DRZ. It isn't snappy like a 450, but it has 6 gears and a sweet set of ratios to boot. However, a STOCK sm610 will not impress you in the least. One of the mods that MUST be done is to either get an aftermarket tuner (PCV, or JD tuner will work), or you must bypass the O2 senser with a jumper and plug. It is super easy to do and there are TONS of guides on thumpertalk and supermoto junkie. Hell, I have a spare jumper I can mail you if you're interested.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I rode a few supermoto's and even some sport bikes today in weather ranging from 55 and sunny to 33 with sleet, one is now in my garage. I'll do a post somewhere tomorrow but now I'm cold and tired so I'm going to bed. The good news is I'm back on a motard :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ! DRZ! :usa:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It can't be a KTM, I have the only one left in this hemisphere.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pretty princess SM610!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I was planning on taking today off to test ride a bunch of bikes and celebrate my birthday but the weather is going to be poo poo so I crammed it in yesterday starting around 10am. Hooked the trailer up to the VW, filled up the tank with diesel, grabbed a big stack of 100's and headed to the stripclub do some test rides. My overall goal was to find something fun to commute on that I could also take to the track if I felt like it, do some light off-road and trail riding as well as head to the switchbacks. The sport bikes were ridden because I felt like it and was considering a street fighter. I ended up putting 560 miles on the VW in total and even managed 45mpg...diesel supremacy.

• First bike 2013 Honda CR230L (stock) - guy at work was selling. It was to put it simply boring and disappointing but he offered to bring it in and let me try it out. WTF was Honda thinking? Really hope the CR250F is better.
  • 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (stock) - good all around bike but not worth what he was asking. The DRZ will also be a good basic bulletproof supermoto but a stock one is kind of a let down, it was a nice reminder of my old one.
  • 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (stock, scratched to poo poo) - what a machine. Love the engine, the suspension/brakes are plenty for street use and my slow rear end on the track.
  • 2011 Yamaha WR250X (stock) - for a stock bike it's pretty decent but not quite what I was looking for. A bit lacking in power but it's a 250 that will run forever. The brakes are really good and the suspension is great for a scrawny poo poo like me.
  • 2010 Suzuki GSXR750 (salvage title, WTF gearing, slip-on) - geared absolutely retarded and just wanted to wheelie which was perfect for street fighter. I made the guy an offer but wouldn't budge on his price.
  • 2007 Husquavarna SM610 (FCR41, gutted muffler) - so loud, so angry, so fun. What a bike, everything about it was fun and the power is addicting even after having a 450-race SM for a while. Of the things I rode this is the first that I really wanted to put on my trailer and bring home.
  • 2008 Yamaha WR250X (FMF exhaust, Powercomander) - this is what a WR250X should feel like. I test rode this in sleet in a busy parking lot and spent the whole time sliding around and attempting to not crash. Throttle is touchy in the poo poo weather I was riding it in. Couldn't really hammer on the front brake but I did slide a LONG way with the rear locked which apparently scared the poo poo out of the kid selling it.

In the end I bought the 2008 WR250X and will be riding it into work today. The SM610 was very very tempting and I was asking myself why the hell I was driving hours to go look at the WR after riding it but in the end I wanted a fun to ride bike that I really didn't have to worry about at all, could get parts fast/cheap and had a large after market. Will I regret not getting the SM610? Maybe but worst case at the price I was able to get this WR I could sell it in a month or two, pick up a SM610 and come out ahead. If the SM610 would have been fuel injected don't start a FI vs carb rant and had a properly done exhaust I likely would have picked it instead.

So 2008 WR250X (<4k miles) with FMF powerbomb/Q4 full exhaust, power commander, stealth-ish tail lights and some nice hand guards with built in blinkers is my new commuter. Now to sell off some of the other bikes.

Z3n posted:

It can't be a KTM, I have the only one left in this hemisphere.
I'll be on the lookout for a 690 but the last one that popped up within 5 hours was 11k and that's not going to happen.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

So 2008 WR250X (<4k miles) with FMF powerbomb/Q4 full exhaust, power commander, stealth-ish tail lights and some nice hand guards with built in blinkers is my new commuter. Now to sell off some of the other bikes.

Uhh, this describes my bike exactly except for the mileage. Let me know if you like your fuel mapping, and if you do could you pull the file from your power commander? When I got mine the map file notes said it was for a completely different exhaust and header. I was able to find one for a similar set up which increased my fuel mileage and made the file response feel better, but I don't know if it's the best it could be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

If the SM610 would have been fuel injected don't start a FI vs carb rant and had a properly done exhaust I likely would have picked it instead.

If you decide to go the SM610 route, look for an 08+. Those were fuel injected. Most of the mouthbreathers on SupermotoJunkie, thumpertalk, etc, are talking about the carbureted SM610, though, so you have to learn to mentally separate one from the other.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

Uhh, this describes my bike exactly except for the mileage. Let me know if you like your fuel mapping, and if you do could you pull the file from your power commander? When I got mine the map file notes said it was for a completely different exhaust and header. I was able to find one for a similar set up which increased my fuel mileage and made the file response feel better, but I don't know if it's the best it could be.
It feels pretty good from the ride in but I couldn't play with it too much (cold, rainy, traffic). Once I get a better feel for it I'll see about messing with it, I have no idea how power commander works at this point but I'll figure it out.

Safety Dance posted:

If you decide to go the SM610 route, look for an 08+. Those were fuel injected. Most of the mouthbreathers on SupermotoJunkie, thumpertalk, etc, are talking about the carbureted SM610, though, so you have to learn to mentally separate one from the other.
Yeah in this case FI was a big selling point for me and what I would be looking for. SMJ...yeah kind of like ADV, a lot of idiots with a few really knowledgeable people for good measure. Though the sound of the FCR 41 at WOT is pretty awesome just wish it wasn't covered by POS exhaust hack.

NitroSpazzz posted:

In the end I bought the 2008 WR250X and will be riding it into work today.
It was fun but also cold, wet and filled with traffic. Then as I got to the badge check station it killed on me a few times, need to see if my heated gear is drawing too much but it's more likely the bike hasn't been ridden much at all. Then stop sign before turning into the parking lot the little cover that sits above the headlight fell off :wtc: I may have to look into a silencer insert, Q4 is loud.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 5, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll have fun on the wr for a bit and then get tired of the lack of power and want something with a bit more kick. But if you got a good deal on it, its a great play bike.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have been bikeless since I moved to the big city almost a year ago. WR was near the top of my list for fun, simple, cheap, in town bike. I wonder if I would get tired of it... my last bikes were a tuono, b12s, and a vfr for a few months that felt like a dog. Oddly enough had an SV trackbike and never wanted anything for that(trackday/racing) with more powaaa.

I guess the KTM 1290R will be out soon, though, as an alternative.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Last night I vividly dreamt I was on my commute to work, backing the 690 through corners like a pro.

Waking up was more frustrating than being interrupted in a sex dream :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I used to have those dreams about wheelies.

Then I learned to wheelie and discovered it's just as magical as the dreams made it out to be. My favorite part is when you have a really quick clutch up and it feels like your motorcycle became an elevator for a moment.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

It feels pretty good from the ride in but I couldn't play with it too much (cold, rainy, traffic). Once I get a better feel for it I'll see about messing with it, I have no idea how power commander works at this point but I'll figure it out.

Yeah in this case FI was a big selling point for me and what I would be looking for. SMJ...yeah kind of like ADV, a lot of idiots with a few really knowledgeable people for good measure. Though the sound of the FCR 41 at WOT is pretty awesome just wish it wasn't covered by POS exhaust hack.

It was fun but also cold, wet and filled with traffic. Then as I got to the badge check station it killed on me a few times, need to see if my heated gear is drawing too much but it's more likely the bike hasn't been ridden much at all. Then stop sign before turning into the parking lot the little cover that sits above the headlight fell off :wtc: I may have to look into a silencer insert, Q4 is loud.

I ordered the Q4 because it was supposed to be the quieter of the two :ohdear:

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Will I regret not getting the SM610?

Yes.

Nah just joshin ya. Both bikes are a sick choice in all honestly. Post some wheelie pics!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kloa posted:

I ordered the Q4 because it was supposed to be the quieter of the two :ohdear:
It isn't that bad, I just try to keep my toys quiet because I leave for work most mornings by 7am. I also like to ride like an idiot and the quieter your bike is the better.

Played on the WR a bunch this weekend and did a bunch of maintenance. I've already put more miles on it than the previous owner did (130) and the little idle issue has cleared up. I need to look at adjusting the suspension because it feels like the rear is wallowing if I get on the gas hard coming out of a corner, though I need roads that aren't covered in sand/gravel/salt/junk to be sure it's that and not the tire spinning.

Fun bike and the relative lack of power is handy with my hands made of ham, moves along very good for a 250cc though. drat I missed having a motard.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've already put more miles on it than the previous owner did (130) and the little idle issue has cleared up.

What kind of lame only puts 130 miles on a bike?! Especially a supermoto

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

hot sauce posted:

What kind of lame only puts 130 miles on a bike?! Especially a supermoto

Bought it as a first bike, never got license and his parents wouldn't let him leave the neighborhood. Poor bike, messing around in the neighborhood can provide hours and hours of entertainment.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The day I picked up the SMCR I put 137 miles on it. :v:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Will they ever bring the 2014 SMC-R to the US? :smith:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

When I picked up my SMC at 4 PM on a Friday I didn't park it at my house until 10 AM the next morning after riding non-stop all night.

Nap + Oil change, and back on it until like 2 AM Sunday night. Sleep, work, repeat. I think I was approaching 2k miles on it by the following Friday.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 10, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I suspect Spiffness has us all beat but I did something like 350 the day I picked up my DRZ. Charleston, WV to Washington, DC. It's the ones you love most that know how to hurt you worst.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I can't wait until I make enough money not to worry about how many miles I put on a bike :(

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I really want a sumo, but I'm poor as gently caress so that's not happening any time soon. I do have a question though, would someone if my size be to big? 6'6 and 300 lbs.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
May need to get the suspension resprung if it's worn at all. Might be kind of saggy. I'd say being tall probably helps if you plan on buying a legit sumo. Dirtbikes are taller than street bikes typically.

Some of the KTM's have sky high seating and you can buy extra tall seats from companies like SDG or something super easily. Taller bars should make it fit just fine as well.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

:getin: An even better reason to lose weight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is no one on earth too tall for a supermoto. I cant speak to the other bikes, but I know you can get springs for a DRZ rated up to like 360lbs of rider

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is no one on earth too tall for a supermoto. I cant speak to the other bikes, but I know you can get springs for a DRZ rated up to like 360lbs of rider

Would the valving/damping in the suspension go all to poo poo with that much spring in it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

Would the valving/damping in the suspension go all to poo poo with that much spring in it?

I dont know what the valving is capable of handling, but from guys that run the biggest springs, either because they weigh 300+lbs, or they are lighter and travel with a bunch of gear, they have nothing but good to say about it.

I guess at the end of the day, the more weight you put on the bike, the more spring you need to compensate, so the difference to the shock body is (or should be) negligible if you do it right. Right?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I can't wait until I make enough money not to worry about how many miles I put on a bike :(

It's pretty nice :v:

Schroeder91 posted:

I really want a sumo, but I'm poor as gently caress so that's not happening any time soon. I do have a question though, would someone if my size be to big? 6'6 and 300 lbs.

I'm 6', 240, and can almost put both of my feet flat on the ground on a DRZ. You'll probably be fine, they're tall as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/4334168907.html

Anyone have any knowledge on this bike? I'm not actually looking to buy it, just caught my eye and I don't know anyone with firsthand experience on one.

• Locked thread