Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you're going to have characters that have only one episode to shine, this is how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A "Time, Be Still" reference :allears:. This show is Kampfer Amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Holy poo poo, this fight was amazing. Just drat.

The rearrangement of Yuuki's theme was nice too!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

If you're going to have characters that have only one episode to shine, this is how to do it.

Well said. This show is so great at doing just that and making me want to buy kits because of it. The GM Sniper looks kinda plain (other than that huge rifle) and I was going to wait on it but now I am going to preorder it and put it near the top of my to-do list.

If this show does get a second season I want to see what the Renato Bros bring to the table next time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really wish the show had given them one more episode, or even just part of one so that we could get a bit of backstory. They're assholes, but they seem like the kind of assholes that had a reason and while you can speculate on that, it'd be nice to have had some actual confirmation of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Dear lord, what is the smallest amount of plastic that can theoretically be controlled by the plavsky system? Other than going against the spirit of the game, what's to prevent someone from making a Gundam filled with tiny dudes with monofilament wire, or like 30 nukes?

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

I really wish the show had given them one more episode, or even just part of one so that we could get a bit of backstory. They're assholes, but they seem like the kind of assholes that had a reason and while you can speculate on that, it'd be nice to have had some actual confirmation of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see them again before the end of the series. As someone pointed out, Caro-rain is making an appearance in the next episode, and she didn't exactly strike as much more than a one episode character.

Also that double date :swoon:

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Dear lord, what is the smallest amount of plastic that can theoretically be controlled by the plavsky system? Other than going against the spirit of the game, what's to prevent someone from making a Gundam filled with tiny dudes with monofilament wire, or like 30 nukes?

The reason no one runs with a GP02A or the GENESIS system from SEED and nuke everything is because that's not what Gundam battles are about :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A dude used a GP02 way back in Mao's first episode. Reiji just blew up the bazooka before it could fire the nuke.

Kurieg posted:

what's to prevent someone from making a Gundam filled with tiny dudes with monofilament wire

The ridiculous amount of effort required combined with the fact your strategy becomes useless once everyone realizes you're doing it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It actually annoys me a little bit that Luang lost the way he did because Sei was able to spot the Zeon toy soldiers moving in a dark, rain filled and rather cluttered environment that was zoomed out from the stands, yet Luang couldn't see them in a bright, empty one only a couple of feet away from him. It's just a silly inconsistency. They really could have done that part better if that's what was going to take him out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Well, regarding the second one, the idea is generally to ensure your machine survives the battle. Or you can just wheel out a Physalis, and get all the nuclear goodness you could wish for whilst remaining in the spirit of the game.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If you used a Wing Gundam to self destruct after tackling your enemy, and blew both units away - would you win? Or would it be a draw every time?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

It actually annoys me a little bit that Luang lost the way he did because Sei was able to spot the Zeon toy soldiers moving in a dark, rain filled and rather cluttered environment that was zoomed out from the stands, yet Luang couldn't see them in a bright, empty one only a couple of feet away from him. It's just a silly inconsistency. They really could have done that part better if that's what was going to take him out.

Sei was looking in the right direction from a third-person perspective. Gunpla pilots appear to see the battlefield through their suit's camera, and it seems pretty easy for those tiny little things to sneak up behind you if you're not watching for them.

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

A dude used a GP02 way back in Mao's first episode. Reiji just blew up the bazooka before it could fire the nuke.

Totally forgot about that fight.

tsob posted:

Luang was too busy watching Dunbine instead of Gundam, thats why he lost.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

Luang was getting shot and and focused on getting in, yuuki was specifically waiting for something to happen and their sensors detected movement.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

tsob posted:

I don't think they are assholes at all. To me they seem like the majority of competitive gamers or pro gamers and I really think thats who they were trying to appeal to with this team. If there were gaming 'colleges' for gundam battling like there are in South Korea for StarCraft this is the kind of people it would produce. They started their fight with a build-order.

I don't know what their issue is, what 'war' they were waging but I hope someday we find out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think their "war" was just a mindset that they had to absolutely dominate the opponent.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Caros posted:

Also that double date :swoon:

That poo poo was too cute. Sei and China are great together, and Reiji and "Aina" (oh god, Sei's fanboyism over her fake name) are hilarious together. :3:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

tsob posted:

If you used a Wing Gundam to self destruct after tackling your enemy, and blew both units away - would you win? Or would it be a draw every time?
Fenice vs Star Build Strike was a draw because both suits where out of order, so I guess that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Considering the Wing's self-destruct barely blew itself up, I think you'd just end up with a crippled suit and a slightly damaged opponent.

Now if you threw yourself twenty feet backwards at the same time, I think you could get the match to stop. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Or you could step out of the control room thing and challenge your opponent to a swordfight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Holy poo poo that EXAM System reveal. What a great battle :allears:. So glad a Jim got to showcase in one of the best battles I've seen in the franchise before eating it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Field 420: New Yark

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

muike posted:

Field 420: New Yark

It was Seattle. :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kinda cool that Meiji got outfought in close combat of all things too.

No Trans-Am boy! No Trans-Am! (I knew exactly what was coming :v:)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Was anybody else kinda hoping that the brothers would have ended up winning instead? Like I knew it wasn't going to happen but they just put in so much effort.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Was anybody else kinda hoping that the brothers would have ended up winning instead? Like I knew it wasn't going to happen but they just put in so much effort.

Yeah by the end of I was rooting for the bros simply because they were winning by outsmarting their enemy. Superior tech be damned.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think this is going to be a problem going forward, all of the enemy characters and suits are way cooler than the ones for the protaganists.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Sei was looking in the right direction from a third-person perspective. Gunpla pilots appear to see the battlefield through their suit's camera, and it seems pretty easy for those tiny little things to sneak up behind you if you're not watching for them.

Monaghan posted:

Luang was getting shot and and focused on getting in, yuuki was specifically waiting for something to happen and their sensors detected movement.

I don't buy it. Luang was looking at the Renato Brothers and they had to have released the toy Zeon dudes from the backpack, which means they had to pass across his line of sight at some point. Several of them in quick succession at that, rather than just one lone little guy speeding past. Just seems weird that not only would he not spot them, but no-one did, when Sei did in the next fight from the stands in much worse conditions. It's a really minor niggle though, in an otherwise fantastic episode.

Blackchamber posted:

I don't think they are assholes at all.

Their attitude regarding the other competitors is completely assholish though. It might be normal in competitive in real competitive environments, but that doesn't make it any less so - it just means most people in competitive environments are assholes apparently. Especially when surrounded in a fictional setting by people who aren't. And to be honest, their attitude seems to be less "poo poo talking the other competitors to rile them up/distract them", which I would definitely expect and is even quite fun, and more "gently caress the other competitors, they're worthless losers - not like us, cool guys both". It makes them interesting, but it's a bit disappointing that we didn't get to see, and are unlikely now that they're out, what made them that way.

Sharkopath posted:

Everyone puts in effort though. Yuuki has been doing this for years and trains like crazy from what we've seen. And he fought smart the whole way through considering what he was working with, from analyzing the competitors fights before hand and figuring out what their tactic probably was, to luring them to a specific place at the end so that he could get one more weapon. They just put in effort and intelligence in different ways.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Meijin has a super robot. That survived point blank shots unscathed and getting stabbed a million times, watching it with my friend we both called bullshit at the end there.

Kids show for children so you get what you get, though.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah by the end of I was rooting for the bros simply because they were winning by outsmarting their enemy. Superior tech be damned.

Even though they lost they still showed everyone the Meijin wasn't so perfect after all. Yuuki spent nearly the entirety of the battle back-peddling, so it's going to be hard to be cocky now. Not to mention those message boards will be posing much different topics.

tsob posted:

Their attitude regarding the other competitors is completely assholish though. It might be normal in competitive in real competitive environments, but that doesn't make it any less so - it just means most people in competitive environments are assholes apparently. Especially when surrounded in a fictional setting by people who aren't. And to be honest, their attitude seems to be less "poo poo talking the other competitors to rile them up/distract them", which I would definitely expect and is even quite fun, and more "gently caress the other competitors, they're worthless losers - not like us, cool guys both". It makes them interesting, but it's a bit disappointing that we didn't get to see, and are unlikely now that they're out, what made them that way.

Some people act like that in competitive environments because looking down on your opponents builds them up psychologically. The whole 'be respectful of your opponents or you might lose due to over-confidence' isn't as common as going in assuming you will win it all cause nobody is as bad-rear end as you. If you ask a boxer before the fight starts which guy he thinks will win, regardless of their win/loss record, and they will likely tell you they will. Maybe that is an rear end in a top hat way to think on the outside looking in... to me it seems like just part of a very common 'winner attitude'.

And over-all I think its good they included this in the show because while Yuuki looks down on opponents, its easier to relate to the Renato Brothers because they haven't won thus far by huge margins (without interference theyd of lost the race) and seemingly overwhelming effortless ability.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 10, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I guess really that's more of a problem with necessary narrative conventions draining all tension out of the fight. For instance there is no way that in the next episode Samurai Boy will win, and they spent all their opportunities for the protagonists to lose by having them win every fight except one, where they only got second place.

e: This could also bring up something on the necessity of those conventions to begin with and the techniques used to add tension to a conflict whose outcome is predetermined in entertainment but that would be really over my head and out of my league.

e2: It's a show about toy robots blowing each other up.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 10, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

Meijin has a super robot. That survived point blank shots unscathed and getting stabbed a million times, watching it with my friend we both called bullshit at the end there.

To be fair though, it's not like the Renato Brothers didn't have plot armor and assistance of their own. They were able to set up at least two wire traps in an absurdly short space of time, one of which appeared to take out an entire city block, one of the Kampfer Amazing's booster pack's exploded just from the stress of it's beam blade locking with theirs, depriving him of his last attached one and of course, no-one noticed when they were sending out toy soldiers against Luang as already mentioned. in comparison all Yuuki did was survive a beam rifle shot to the..head? I think it was the head anyways. And given that it's a PPSE unit, I can totally buy they beefed up the armor using plavsky hax instead of giving it gimmicks using them.

Sharkopath posted:

I guess really that's more of a problem with necessary narrative conventions draining all tension out of the fight. For instance there is no way that in the next episode Samurai Boy will win, and they spent all their opportunities for the protagonists to lose by having them win every fight except one, where they only got second place.

Next episode spoilers say that Samurai Boy/Nils is going to offer to throw the match if they answer a question for him. Presumably he thinks they know something about PPSE or plavsky particles he doesn't based on what he's overheard the Chairman and Ms Baker talking about.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 10, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe the Zeon troopers were the ones setting up the wire traps. They might not have been in the backpack the whole fight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I don't buy it. Luang was looking at the Renato Brothers and they had to have released the toy Zeon dudes from the backpack, which means they had to pass across his line of sight at some point. Several of them in quick succession at that, rather than just one lone little guy speeding past. Just seems weird that not only would he not spot them, but no-one did, when Sei did in the next fight from the stands in much worse conditions. It's a really minor niggle though, in an otherwise fantastic episode.

Who said they did their trick while Luang was watching? They could have easily released the soldiers at the start and had them simply come from behind when Luang had them engaged in close combat because there was a heavily forested area to conceal them in. The brothers even have it planned out. "Hold him in place for 20 seconds" - Give the little guys time to come up behind him and do their thing.

Sharkopath posted:

Kids show for children so you get what you get, though.

Considering the Kampfer is the culmination of all of the technology and research of the organization that invented Plavsky bullshit, the thing is probably a full metal custom-casted job or something ridiculous. It got stabbed a bunch, but it was actively moving away from the beam saber so they were pretty much surface pinpricks. We never got that satisfying Gundam Beam Saber Impalement that usually heralds a MS's death.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Kurieg posted:

How is it going against the spirit of the game when Funnels and other remote weapons exist? Not to mention Sei and Reiji also used wire triggered beam backback to launch a flanking attack against the Wing Gundam. The zeon soldiers are just glorified missile/seeker-mine.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Randomzx posted:

How is it going against the spirit of the game when Funnels and other remote weapons exist? Not to mention Sei and Reiji also used wire triggered beam backback to launch a flanking attack against the Wing Gundam. The zeon soldiers are just glorified missile/seeker-mine.

But funnels and the like are actually a part of the machine, whereas a squadron of dudes running around sticking C4 on stuff just feels cheap.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The word you're looking for is "creative".

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Now I really want to see a Gunpla journalist using the Astray Outframe and a little guy comes out the back to take pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
What spirit of the games. Seems like the rules are fast and loose as to what you can do. In the regional battles, someone had mobile dolls and someone brought a loving GAW to the battle royale!

• Locked thread