Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Slime posted:

That's actually a fair point. The entire reason spirits possess people when they're weak is so they can snack on their spectral energy to recover. If that spirit, who did seem at least somewhat competent, wanted to posses Max's dad then it must have stood to have something to gain from it. Maybe possession can make someone into a spectral? It's also worth noting here that Max started becoming one almost as soon as he arrived in Mayview, but he fully became one when he was right next to a Tool. It may be possible that the Tool made him into a compatible spectral, rather than him happening to be have the right kind of spectral energy.

Answered in the comment section, actually!

Right, so a spirit can possess a normal person and slowly turn them into a spectral (via exposure to supernatural phenomena). Until they become a spectral the spirit doesn’t get any energy.
This hasn’t been explained in the comic yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This is another thing he told us. If someone who is not a spectral becomes possessed, they slowly become a spectral of the same color of the spirit possessing them.

It's kinda annoying that a lot of information of the world of the comic is outside of the comic. Someone should make a wiki of everything Zack's ever said.

Not been updated recently but: http://paranatural.wikia.com/wiki/Zack%27s_Comments

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This is another thing he told us. If someone who is not a spectral becomes possessed, they slowly become a spectral of the same color of the spirit possessing them.

It's kinda annoying that a lot of information of the world of the comic is outside of the comic. Someone should make a wiki of everything Zack's ever said.

It's just Zack has a bunch of worldbuilding info he knows, and he's a good enough storyteller to only reveal it in the comic when it feels natural or is relevant. It's actually surprisingly cool of him to tell us all this stuff beforehand at all, instead of just saying "read and find out!"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fecha posted:

Zack did an interview on his stuff! He talks about the development of the story. If you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeJFR9Pv7O8

Holy cr

ap the audio q

uality on this is hor

rible.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Guys, Johnny is on his way. Bully who can manipulate metal vs punk kid with magnet powers. Whaaaaaaaaaaat!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kidcoelacanth posted:

Holy cr

ap the audio q

uality on this is hor

rible.

Hey let's make a podcast, a medium that is 100% audio! Let's make sure we know literally nothing about audio balancing or editing!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Ed mentioned that a spirit can't possess you unless its spectral energy is the same color as your own, and he was real disappointed when he found out because it meant Eightfold couldn't possess him and he'd never be an excrementalist. It took him like three tries to do it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

But if the host isn't a spectral, the spirit changes them into one that can provide the energy the spirit needs, per Zack's comments.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-78

Implications..........

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well. I certainly wasn't expecting Forge to do that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That poor train. :ohdear:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I guess Forge is grabbing as much material for a weapon as he can before the train activates its warping field to push Forge away.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Forge you dick I hope Spender blinds you into oblivion.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
This might be my favourite alt-text in a while. The mental image it invokes is just perfect.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I guess Forge is grabbing as much material for a weapon as he can before the train activates its warping field to push Forge away.

It seems like it might be that the warping field only "activates" coming from the front. Which explains how people can board it in the first place.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Pretty sure the train is going to freak out and regress into a more spirit-y form. Those teeth are looking pretty ominous.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cat Mattress posted:

Or, he could make a door instead. He was warned about Spender, after all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bell_ posted:

Or, he could make a door instead. He was warned about Spender, after all.

The problem with that is that he still needs the Doorman to open his locket and receive the key. Unless the Doorman's timing is impeccable (admittedly likely in a comic) he's screwed even with the door.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

The problem with that is that he still needs the Doorman to open his locket and receive the key. Unless the Doorman's timing is impeccable (admittedly likely in a comic) he's screwed even with the door.
I think he's going to grab the metal and scarper while Spender is busy dealing with a very sad train :(

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Isabel and Max are really shiny in this one. At least thats what I assume the white spots are supposed to be

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

He mentioned a gambit, so he might be trying something as simple as enraging the train into attacking both of them. He did restrain himself from taking metal from the ghost train until he figured he was probably going to die anyway.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

A big flaming stink posted:

He mentioned a gambit, so he might be trying something as simple as enraging the train into attacking both of them. He did restrain himself from taking metal from the ghost train until he figured he was probably going to die anyway.

Could his gambit be 'The train's down, and your only way back into town is if I make us a door'? It doesn't sound like Spender knows of others ways past that barrier.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Fried Chicken posted:

Isabel and Max are really shiny in this one. At least thats what I assume the white spots are supposed to be

Also, Isabel is making a really O_O face.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Calling it now: Isabel's grandfather is a ghost. I don't think he's ever been shown interacting with a non-spectral, and he may have only given Isabel the book (against his better judgement) because it wasn't safe to use it himself anymore.

Does he have the same colour energy as her? I'm phoneposting so archive-trawling isn't practical right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A ghost using a tool might be possible, but it still seems unwise to siphon away your energy when you can't regenerate it.

That said, if it's possible to use a tool as a blunt object to hit people with without using its powers, that's cool.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Suaimhneas posted:

Calling it now: Isabel's grandfather is a ghost. I don't think he's ever been shown interacting with a non-spectral, and he may have only given Isabel the book (against his better judgement) because it wasn't safe to use it himself anymore.

Does he have the same colour energy as her? I'm phoneposting so archive-trawling isn't practical right now.

Yeah, he does. When he throws a fit about Isabel missing the perfect center of her training target, he blasts it with a giant beam of red energy.

He's also still seems to have legs, which none of the other ghost characters seem to have.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

He's also still seems to have legs, which none of the other ghost characters seem to have.

The others just aren't trying hard enough

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Yeah, he does. When he throws a fit about Isabel missing the perfect center of her training target, he blasts it with a giant beam of red energy.

Isn't one of her grandfather's students a nolegsman?

e: Found him

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 15, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

He also refuses to keep the plunger because it's useless to him since it's not red.

But I don't believe him to be a ghost.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

A ghost using a tool might be possible, but it still seems unwise to siphon away your energy when you can't regenerate it.

Ghosts can regenerate energy, just slower than tools drain them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That said, if it's possible to use a tool as a blunt object to hit people with without using its powers, that's cool.

PJ could move Max's black-energy bat despite being purple himself, so presumably it is. Though the whole point of the question was Max wanting to give PJ cool powers too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brannock posted:

Ghosts can regenerate energy, just slower than tools drain them.

Tools only drain energy when their powers are used, though, so far as I can tell? So a ghost would just have to be... judicious in its use.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

MikeJF posted:

Tools only drain energy when their powers are used, though, so far as I can tell? So a ghost would just have to be... judicious in its use.

And a sufficiently powerful ghost/spirit could probably pair off with a weak one. No real danger of being sucked up when you're ten times stronger than the tool itself.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Splicer posted:

Isn't one of her grandfather's students a nolegsman?

e: Found him

Hey wait, he's the guy that says "Our lives for the target!" Little late for that, I think.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Buttass posted:

Hey wait, he's the guy that says "Our lives for the target!" Little late for that, I think.

He's done this before.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Slime posted:

He's done this before.

Is that guy actually a ghost? I agree that it looks like his lower half is a ghostly tail in that linked page, but in this one he clearly has a normal lower half.

Or maybe the dude who's shouting "Our lives for the targets!" is a different guy. He's got red hair as well, but his hairstyle is different from the red head in the page I just linked to.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Is that guy actually a ghost? I agree that it looks like his lower half is a ghostly tail in that linked page, but in this one he clearly has a normal lower half.

Or maybe the dude who's shouting "Our lives for the targets!" is a different guy. He's got red hair as well, but his hairstyle is different from the red head in the page I just linked to.

Are you talking about the guy who kinda looks like Teddy Roosevelt? Because he's dressed differently and has the wrong color energy.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Heavy Zed posted:

Are you talking about the guy who kinda looks like Teddy Roosevelt? Because he's dressed differently and has the wrong color energy.

Yeah, the Teddy Roosevelt looking fella. Both he and that ghost-guy have red hair, so I wasn't sure if the ghost tail that I was seeing in this page was actually a ghost tail or if it was just a burst of purple energy from someone off camera that was obscuring Mr. Teddy's legs.

I just noticed that the ghost-guy is flaring up a bit of purple energy in his hand though, so I guess that actually is his lower body. Also, he pretty clearly has a shadow on the ground beneath where he's hovering. I probably should have noticed that earlier. :doh:

Doctor_Blueninja fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 16, 2014

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Yeah, the Teddy Roosevelt looking fella. Both he and that ghost-guy have red hair, so I wasn't sure if the ghost tail that I was seeing in this page was actually a ghost tail or if it was just a burst of purple energy from someone off camera that was obscuring Mr. Teddy's legs.

I just noticed that the ghost-guy is flaring up a bit of purple energy in his hand though, so I guess that actually is his lower body. Also, he he pretty clearly has a shadow on the ground beneath where he's hovering. I probably should have noticed that earlier. :doh:

I just spent way more time than was necessary reading backwards through the archives until I found a page that definitively showed that ghosts cast shadows. This comic is great, even in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

blastron posted:

I just spent way more time than was necessary reading backwards through the archives until I found a page that definitively showed that ghosts cast shadows. This comic is great, even in reverse.

But can non-spectrals see the shadows?