Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I decided to try the beer that Coava collaborated on with Fort George. This is the first time I've tried--or even heard of--a coffee IPA, so I don't have a comparison except to coffee stouts. Normally I don't even drink those, but Coava is probably my favorite roaster and I like beer, so this was pretty tempting.

The nose has a lightly roasted coffee note. The "beer" smell is kept in the background. On the palate, the hops provide a strong bite and you can tell there's something more going on with the flavor. The flavor of coffee is there at the start, and it works together with the citrus-y hops. Ultimately, though, I'm reminded of a pizza with bell peppers, mushrooms, and sausage. That's not meant to be a negative; it is what it is.

The beer is well put together and the flavors work in harmony. It's worth trying if you want something unique. I don't dislike it, but I don't intend to buy more of it. The addition of coffee didn't add an interesting enough component to sway me from normal IPAs. So far the only beer with coffee I'd go back to is the Big Bad Baptist by Epic Brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Thanks for the review--Coava is my fav roaster too and I was sad that beer isn't being distributed in CA.

Looks like that Epic Big Bad is on tap in LA so I will gladly take that rec out for a spin.

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
Could somebody explain what's going on in an aeropress that allows for 30 second extraction time vs. clever coffee dripper which tends to require around 4 minutes?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

dcgrp posted:

Could somebody explain what's going on in an aeropress that allows for 30 second extraction time vs. clever coffee dripper which tends to require around 4 minutes?

You'd normally have a finer grind for an aeropress than a CCD, which means more surface area and shorter extraction times. The air pressure also contributes to this (kind of like how you can pour a shot of espresso in a very short time)

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

You'd normally have a finer grind for an aeropress than a CCD, which means more surface area and shorter extraction times. The air pressure also contributes to this (kind of like how you can pour a shot of espresso in a very short time)

I suspect the grind size is the biggest issue w.r.t. time - if you tried a fine grind extraction in a CCD with typical CCD times you'd end up with one bitter rear end cup of coffee.

I've done a lot of fine grind short-time extractions with pourover in the past and they turn out well, as long as you're careful to keep the time short (and to pull the cone off the cup as soon as the color turns blonde enough to indicate that the coffee is done.)

o muerte fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I use the Aeropress I just grind the same way I do it for the V60 pour over and I let it steep 2 minutes after the blooming is done. Tastes great and I prefer to use the Able metal disk.

e: I put 18 g coffee and I fill it up to the top with 200F water.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Without starting a Keurig debate, is there a consensus best reusable k-cup?

Also, for the Aeropress, I have the same question except for reusable filter

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Ribsauce posted:

Second hand info, but: none of them. I know several people that tried at least 3 varieties of them so they could use better coffee in the process and all of them said the exact same thing: they don't seal well, they don't brew well, they make a mess.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ribsauce posted:

My wife has the ekobrew k cup, and it sucks, but works for her. The hinge broke within a few months, but that actually makes cleanup easier as you can take the two pieces apart and tap it against the garbage to empty the coffee out before washing it.

It doesn't make a mess at all, but the coffee is subpar just because that's how the kuerig rolls. It doesn't matter to my wife since she throws in a gallon of creamer. Ymmv.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Mu Zeta posted:

When I use the Aeropress I just grind the same way I do it for the V60 pour over and I let it steep 2 minutes after the blooming is done. Tastes great and I prefer to use the Able metal disk.

e: I put 18 g coffee and I fill it up to the top with 200F water.

What setting do you use for the grind?

Dukket fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 2, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

They just don't hold enough coffee to make an good cup. You can get away with the smallest serving size, but even then, I gave up and went back to French press. For the record, I was staying at a family member's place for the summer while my house was being built and it was her Keurig.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

rockcity posted:

They just don't hold enough coffee to make an good cup. You can get away with the smallest serving size, but even then, I gave up and went back to French press. For the record, I was staying at a family member's place for the summer while my house was being built and it was her Keurig.

I could make a somewhat drinkable one by doing a medium/fine grind, tamping it slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY), and using two of the cups at the 4oz setting for and 8 oz cup of coffee.

Company called Saxby's makes the only drinkable disposable K-cups. Biodegradable, they come with a shitload more coffee in them, and have filtration on the side.

http://saxbyscoffee.com/shop/signature-blend-single-serve-coffee/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I could make a somewhat drinkable one by doing a medium/fine grind, tamping it slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY), and using two of the cups at the 4oz setting for and 8 oz cup of coffee.

Company called Saxby's makes the only drinkable disposable K-cups. Biodegradable, they come with a shitload more coffee in them, and have filtration on the side.

http://saxbyscoffee.com/shop/signature-blend-single-serve-coffee/

And really, at a dollar a cup, there are so many better options out there.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

nwin posted:

And really, at a dollar a cup, there are so many better options out there.

Hey, if I give you an MRE when we're lost in the mountains I don't want to hear about the steaks you grill at home.

But seriously, I got a bunch for free and they were really surprising. Maybe in 2025 there will be awesome single serve coffee...The design was really nifty on them though.

I'd rather just have an energy drink than a standard green mountain k cup.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hey, if I give you an MRE when we're lost in the mountains I don't want to hear about the steaks you grill at home.

But seriously, I got a bunch for free and they were really surprising. Maybe in 2025 there will be awesome single serve coffee...The design was really nifty on them though.

I'd rather just have an energy drink than a standard green mountain k cup.

Pretty much anything that isn't a drip brewer is single serve coffee, it's just not a prepackaged single serve coffee appliance. In theory, someone could build a single serve version of a Technovorum that grinds the coffee fresh, but it would probably cost a minimum of $500 which would likely price it out of fiscal viability. There would be people who would buy it, but likely not enough to support continued production of it.

There is that company on kickstarter that is trying to make a unit that also roasts the coffee too, but I'm really skeptical that they can roast coffee and actually have it brew a good cup given that the coffee really needs to de-gas. They claim they've gotten around it, but I'm calling bullshit until I see it work.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Why wouldn't something like a really low power vacuum pump work? Cheap (essentially disposable) beard trimmers have them now, they're probably not too expensive.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

rockcity posted:

Pretty much anything that isn't a drip brewer is single serve coffee, it's just not a prepackaged single serve coffee appliance. In theory, someone could build a single serve version of a Technovorum that grinds the coffee fresh, but it would probably cost a minimum of $500 which would likely price it out of fiscal viability. There would be people who would buy it, but likely not enough to support continued production of it.

There is that company on kickstarter that is trying to make a unit that also roasts the coffee too, but I'm really skeptical that they can roast coffee and actually have it brew a good cup given that the coffee really needs to de-gas. They claim they've gotten around it, but I'm calling bullshit until I see it work.

It's a fluid bed roaster I assume? I wonder if they just slapped something similar to a popcorn popper on it. I could see having a lid with a degassing valve covering the top of the roasting element, roasting coffee ahead of time. Are they saying that you should roast a batch every time want a cup? If so, having a delay between the grinding and brewing could allow the grounds to degas enough to taste okay. It'll probably be poo poo though.

Found a spec sheet:

A mini drum roaster? Hmm. Brewing temp is pretty low as well.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 2, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

It's a fluid bed roaster I assume? I wonder if they just slapped something similar to a popcorn popper on it. I could see having a lid with a degassing valve covering the top of the roasting element, roasting coffee ahead of time. Are they saying that you should roast a batch every time want a cup? If so, having a delay between the grinding and brewing could allow the grounds to degas enough to taste okay. It'll probably be poo poo though.

Found a spec sheet:

A mini drum roaster? Hmm. Brewing temp is pretty low as well.

Yeah, the idea is that it's roasting every time you brew. I know you can give a little extra time between grind and brew to help the de-gassing process, but I've tried brewing immediately after and to me the difference between brewing right after roasting and waiting even just 4 hours is enormous. Personally 8+ is preferable to me. I almost always roast at night because of this.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How about an Aeropress reusable filter then?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
One of the pros of an aeropress is the easy clean up, a reusable filter would make that worse. I've also heard they get clogged eventually as well. Just use the paper ones IMO

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Smiley Face posted:

One of the pros of an aeropress is the easy clean up, a reusable filter would make that worse. I've also heard they get clogged eventually as well. Just use the paper ones IMO

Er, what? Using a metal filter in an Aeropress is no different to any other brewing method - just quickly run it under the tap afterwards to wash off a few coffee grounds and you're good to go. Gives a better taste than the paper ones too.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

kim jong-illin posted:

Er, what? Using a metal filter in an Aeropress is no different to any other brewing method - just quickly run it under the tap afterwards to wash off a few coffee grounds and you're good to go. Gives a better taste than the paper ones too.

I've heard fines can get stuck in the holes of the metal filter, that's all

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I started making Real Coffee at work, but didn't want to deal with keeping around a carton of light cream (spoilage, fending off coworkers). Now it seems I can't drink anything but black (with sugar).

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

geetee posted:

I started making Real Coffee at work, but didn't want to deal with keeping around a carton of light cream (spoilage, fending off coworkers). Now it seems I can't drink anything but black (with sugar).

Now do that but with no sugar! :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

script kitty posted:

Now do that but with no sugar! :)

Sugary sweet coffee is gross and disgusting :(

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I'll get there probably. Only using 2 packets right now, and I already skip it entirely with tea.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

geetee posted:

I'll get there probably. Only using 2 packets right now, and I already skip it entirely with tea.

I switched cold turkey and never looked back, even a slight whiff of coffemate sends a shiver down me spine

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

I just got a CCD and I was able to brew two cups so far.

I have some issues with underextraction though. The two cups came out pretty watery tasting, I used 14.8 grams of coffee with 236mL of water (16:1). I used a fine grind with 7 and 8 clicks with the Hario Mini, and let it steep for 3 minutes, and it drained for 1.5 minutes resulting in a total time of around 4.5 minutes.

Like I said, the coffee is tasting pretty watery. I was thinking of increasing the steep time next time I make another cup, but does anyone know what I could do to fix this, or what the problem is?

Timid fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 3, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Try that or a little finer grind, try to extend the draw-down time 30 seconds or so. It's hard to say because everyone has a different idea of their perfect cup, I would just try tweaking one variable at a time until you get something that tastes good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just grind it finer. I bet 1 or 2 clicks would fix it. Your grounds should look similar to kosher salt.

Though the strange thing is that your drain time is really long. Mine does it well under a minute and I'm doing 300ml of water.

Do you normally do French Press? You just might not like paper filter coffee.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 3, 2014

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Just grind it finer. I bet 1 or 2 clicks would fix it. Your grounds should look similar to kosher salt.

Though the strange thing is that your drain time is really long. Mine does it well under a minute and I'm doing 300ml of water.

Do you normally do French Press? You just might not like paper filter coffee.

Nah, I've been using a Melitta pourover ever since I found this thread. Regarding the drain time, I have no idea why mine is longer, hopefully it doesn't affect things too much..

Google Butt posted:

Try that or a little finer grind, try to extend the draw-down time 30 seconds or so. It's hard to say because everyone has a different idea of their perfect cup, I would just try tweaking one variable at a time until you get something that tastes good.

Thanks for the help, I just felt a little let down after I found that making the grind smaller the first time didn't work. But I'm loving how easy it takes to make a cup. I actually 'kinda' used your directions from like page 98 or something by using the 3min steep you suggested, so thanks for that!

I'll try a a 30 second longer steep time tomorrow and report back with the results, thanks guys.

Edit: I made another cup cause I'm impatient, but the 30 seconds did make it a little better, but it's still underextracted. I just need to test it out more, I forgot how long it took me to dial in my pourover settings before. vvv I didn't mean that sarcastically, sorry :downs:

Timid fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 3, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Timid posted:

Nah, I've been using a Melitta pourover ever since I found this thread. Regarding the drain time, I have no idea why mine is longer, hopefully it doesn't affect things too much..

Thanks for the help, I just felt a little let down after I found that making the grind smaller the first time didn't work. But I'm loving how easy it takes to make a cup. I actually 'kinda' used your directions from like page 98 or something by using the 3min steep you suggested, so thanks for that!

I'll try a a 30 second longer steep time tomorrow and report back with the results, thanks guys.

Just keep at it, it took me a week or two to figure it out. I don't claim to be a ccd expert, the procedure I posted worked for me, definitely play with all the variables if you have beans to spare.

The biggest things I learned was to not over stir, just enough to wet the grounds floating on the surface and the filtropa filters.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Spanking the Capresso is a small price to pay for the even and lovely grind I've been getting. So glad I sprang for this upgrade.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Spanking the Capresso is a small price to pay for the even and lovely grind I've been getting. So glad I sprang for this upgrade.

It's was tough swallow that much for a grinder and any machine for brewing at first glance but I agree a proper grinder really upgrades.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Hopefully the winter weather in the Northeast doesn't stop my wife's birthday present from arriving tomorrow.

I got her a Technivorm Moccamaster KBGT741, hopefully it lives up to expectations.

A little pricey, but we end up having to buy a new coffee maker every 18 months anyways. These things have a 7 year warranty.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Roasted up 1/4lb of SM's Sumatra Mandheling the other night. Used an actual dog bowl this time and I put the heat gun right down into the bowl, probably not quite an inch from the beans. I had chaff flying after maybe two minutes, so I thought "yeah, this time, I'm gonna actually hit first crack." Didn't happen, or if it did, I couldn't hear it. I've been drinking coffee made from them and it's still pretty good, but I'm a little concerned that it's still not getting hot enough. I'm doing this in my workshop, which has got its own 20 amp breaker that nothing else is drawing power from. Ideas?

I've got another 7 3/4 pounds of raw coffee and I'd really like to have this mostly sorted by the end of it. Or maybe, if the coffee is good, it really doesn't matter. Thoughts?

Edit - 20 amp breaker. 10 was a typo.

becoming fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 7, 2014

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

becoming posted:

Roasted up 1/4lb of SM's Sumatra Mandheling the other night. Used an actual dog bowl this time and I put the heat gun right down into the bowl, probably not quite an inch from the beans. I had chaff flying after maybe two minutes, so I thought "yeah, this time, I'm gonna actually hit first crack." Didn't happen, or if it did, I couldn't hear it. I've been drinking coffee made from them and it's still pretty good, but I'm a little concerned that it's still not getting hot enough. I'm doing this in my workshop, which has got its own 10 amp breaker that nothing else is drawing power from. Ideas?

I've got another 7 3/4 pounds of raw coffee and I'd really like to have this mostly sorted by the end of it. Or maybe, if the coffee is good, it really doesn't matter. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I've roasted the same beans, but at least it was a Sumatra (also from SM, around 1/2 Cup not sure on the weight). Some varieties ARE quiet when they crack, but they're still audible. I've roasted in sub-zero temps in the garage and while it took longer, the beans still roasted like normal. I have the Wagner heat gun, and I believe a 10amp line. I use the bottom most switch position on the Wagner, which should be the hottest. How long after the chaff was flying did you roast for? I just noticed you said 1/4lb, and I'm going off times/behavior/sound for half cup, which I doubt is a 1/4 lb but maybe.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Anyone here use a moka pot? I do not have an espresso machine nor do I want to go down the espresso rabbit hole for the moment. I've been using one as a change from my french press and enjoying the more substantial body and increased viscosity.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

ThirstyBuck posted:

Anyone here use a moka pot? I do not have an espresso machine nor do I want to go down the espresso rabbit hole for the moment. I've been using one as a change from my french press and enjoying the more substantial body and increased viscosity.

I really enjoy moka pot coffee. At my last office I took in a hotplate and a 4-cup moka pot rather than drink the terrible autodrip coffee from the kitchen. I find the coffee from the smaller pots tastes better, the brew time is quick enough that you don't boil the coffee in the top portion before you've steamed all the water through.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat, finally broke out the aeropress and tried some coffee at the recommended 175 per the instructions. It was actually a really good cup- I was pretty surprised.

Still a bit too much concentration required to make it my go-to cup first thing in the morning, but it's definitely nice. The CCD still reigns supreme.