Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nostratic posted:

Epiphone Les Paul 100, obviously.

High five epiphone les paul 100 with buzzing strings buds. My buzz didn't go away even after the shop messed with it. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
$90 is too much. Can you ask any musicians you know, or post on craigslist if there are any independent guitar repairmen around? You are a musician now, you need to be more frugal with your money. That's about 4-5 cases of beer you are overpaying.

Even if you do the intonation yourself, it's always handy to know a guy that can do work for you, reliably. When your guitar is broke it is bad times.

If you have figured out that the intonation is out then you probably can do the rest.

BTW, when you change your string size you will need to intonate the guitar again. Figure out how to make it play right before you get too wild with it. Again, when you only have one guitar you need to be a little more conservative and just focus on making the thing work, IMO.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 10, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

It's been a very long time since I played nothing but Les Pauls for an entire evening. Neither are chambered or weight relieved either.

gently caress you, shoulder. gently caress you.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I just paid $50 for this apparently 1987 Ibanez - at least the neck and Edge tremolo look to be legit but the body is a mystery to me. Can anyone ID this for me and tell me what it is and how much the guitar might be worth?

See Imgur album for more pics

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
MY first thought is an RG550 that someone trimmed down and repainted. Serial seems fairly legit.

As far as what it's worth: probably more at parts with the body like that, but I don't know. The trick would be getting a buyer as is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Megiddo posted:

I just paid $50 for this apparently 1987 Ibanez - at least the neck and Edge tremolo look to be legit but the body is a mystery to me. Can anyone ID this for me and tell me what it is and how much the guitar might be worth?

See Imgur album for more pics

It appears to be a marble countertop.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

It appears to be a marble countertop.

I wanted to say that too.

Got a solid offer on my Hammond guitar amp thing. Guy's going to stop by tomorrow evening pick it up in exchange for a plain jane Squier Strat with hardcase. Nothing particularly valuable, but getting a good condition guitar for essentially free is awesome. :downs:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

iostream.h posted:

It's been a very long time since I played nothing but Les Pauls for an entire evening. Neither are chambered or weight relieved either.

gently caress you, shoulder. gently caress you.

It's been said that African tribes used to send their young boys out into the wild for two weeks with nothing at all but an unchambered les paul. If they survived, they were welcomed back as men.

Welcome, brother.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

It's been said that African tribes used to send their young boys out into the wild for two weeks with nothing at all but an unchambered les paul. If they survived, they were welcomed back as men.

Welcome, brother.

There's an old story about Anansi tricking a crocodile into not eating him by asking old Mr Gator to hold an unchambered Les Paul for a minute thus causing Mr Gator to sink to the bottom of the river, troubling Anansi never again.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

And yet the heaviest non-gimmick guitar I've ever strapped on was a knockoff hippie sandwich style one

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Mradyfist posted:

So, I'm pretty new to guitar in general but beyond that I've barely played any electric, doing mostly acoustic. I bought some .13s to put on this guitar because that's what I like to play on acoustic, and they have a wound G (unlike the strings that were on it when I got it). Once I put on the new strings I noticed that the top two unwound strings are seriously louder in output than the wound four, to the point where it's distracting when I play. Is that something normal? The shop told me to come back and get it set up again for free with the new strings on it, will that go away if I get it set up? Or maybe it's just my playing style? It seems much more severe on the single coil than on the humbucker, does that mean that I just need to adjust the pickup height?
Cool guitar!

Seems like an issue with the pickup height and, if so, it's easy to fix. Btw, 13s on a Tele (or any non-jazz electric) is IMO for crazy people - but different strokes, I guess. I also have 13s on my acoustic, but 10s and 9s on my electrics. Thinking about going down to 12s on the acoustic actually, to make the difference in tension smaller. If the difference is too big, it makes it more difficult than it has to be when you're going from the acoustic to the electric - or the other way around. More difficult because you'd want and need a lighter touch with the lighter strings, so a small(er) difference is usuaully preferable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

13s on a bolt-on 6-string neck is actually getting into "I'd be careful to make sure it's a well made guitar" territory to be totally honest. If it's using some of the better connection techniques like actual bolts instead of wood screws, or otherwise is just very well made and nice and firmly secured, less worry, but make damned sure it's not got a weak link in the chain and that your truss rod is up to snuff because that is a lot of tension to stick on a two-parter. Wouldn't be concerned if it were neck-through or even a long tenon set neck, but I'd be afraid to tune standard on 13s or higher on quite a few guitars.

Maybe I'm just not putting enough faith in their construction quality, just have had some less than awesome experiences running a slightly heavier tuned set of 12s (for a while I was putting my own string sets together and using really heavy strings before I settled back into Skinny Top / Heavy Bottom or B.B. King sig nickel wounds 10-13-17-32-45-54) on a strat copy that wasn't as well made as it could have been (think SX level quality, not the snazzy recent Squier CM or MIM Fender quality). Ended up warping the neck and the truss rod didn't have enough oomph to deal with the strings. That sucked.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
13s in standard tuning? Oh jesus you might as well play on a suspension bridge. Did you put bronze acoustic strings on an electric guitar? I can kinda go into the science of it but long story short that doesn't work since bronze isn't magnetic (nickle and steel are).

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I come to the guitar from other instruments and more generic musical training. I'm not a "guitarist" in the sense of being bathed in the blood of all things guitar, so my knowledge falls down now and then. It be falling now.

So last week I was practicing on my new amp and loving life. I'd found a super dynamic clean tone that I loved, found a couple driven tones of various types that I loved, etc... After a boatload of noodling I think I might be settled on something, but I gots questions.

I can get the bridge pickup (early 2000's MIM strat) to sound good on several settings on the new amp, but I think I just want something thicker, heavier. This is the one pickup that the previous owner replaced, and indicated it was a "Seymour Duncan" (the pickup itself doesn't seem to indicate... which). Obviously there are drop-in replacement stacked and rail-style buckers for strats... but do they compare to their full-sized brethren? Is there, say, a rail out there that would do the job, or is it just a pale comparison to it's full-sized counter part?

Do I rail, or do I route?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's probably routed to take a humbucker, for what it's worth. That said, a rail pickup can do the job nicely, depending on how far you want to go. Have you looked under the pickup? You can probably get a model number for it, which is a good starting point to move outwards from.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

muike posted:

It's probably routed to take a humbucker, for what it's worth. That said, a rail pickup can do the job nicely, depending on how far you want to go. Have you looked under the pickup? You can probably get a model number for it, which is a good starting point to move outwards from.

It's not routed for a full H. It's a total S/S/S route (I know from gutting the thing when I got it and replacing drat near every screw, pickguard, et al...). As for looking under the pickup... I didn't see anything when I was in there, as I checked out of curiosity so I could note the serial/model and look it up.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hm, alright then. In that case, I would go for a sc sized humbucker, yeah. Something with lower output than, say, a JB Junior. Will be warmer and fatter than a normal single coil, but without pushing the amp and getting too hairy.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I just put These in the neck and bridge of my strat, and I love them. Very cheap too.

I also agree with you that a standard strat bridge pickup is terrible. I've never been able to get a tone I like out of one.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

muike posted:

Hm, alright then. In that case, I would go for a sc sized humbucker, yeah. Something with lower output than, say, a JB Junior. Will be warmer and fatter than a normal single coil, but without pushing the amp and getting too hairy.

So in Seymour Duncan land, that'd be a little 59 then?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Alleric posted:

I come to the guitar from other instruments and more generic musical training. I'm not a "guitarist" in the sense of being bathed in the blood of all things guitar, so my knowledge falls down now and then. It be falling now.

So last week I was practicing on my new amp and loving life. I'd found a super dynamic clean tone that I loved, found a couple driven tones of various types that I loved, etc... After a boatload of noodling I think I might be settled on something, but I gots questions.

I can get the bridge pickup (early 2000's MIM strat) to sound good on several settings on the new amp, but I think I just want something thicker, heavier. This is the one pickup that the previous owner replaced, and indicated it was a "Seymour Duncan" (the pickup itself doesn't seem to indicate... which). Obviously there are drop-in replacement stacked and rail-style buckers for strats... but do they compare to their full-sized brethren? Is there, say, a rail out there that would do the job, or is it just a pale comparison to it's full-sized counter part?

Do I rail, or do I route?
Saw this so I took a couple of minutes and threw together a clip of a Red Lace Sensor for you as something to compare against.
There's a bit of clipping and it's pretty nasty but there y'go, the 2nd section is the same settings as the first, just with the guitar's volume rolled back a bit. Tone's on 10 on the guitar.

LS Demo
Edit: I DID see 'heavier' in the description. If you want to hear something different just ask.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 10, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Alleric posted:

So in Seymour Duncan land, that'd be a little 59 then?

Or a cool rails I guess. I dunno, I haven't played any of their SC pickups.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

iostream.h posted:

Saw this so I took a couple of minutes and threw together a clip of a Red Lace Sensor for you as something to compare against.
There's a bit of clipping and it's pretty nasty but there y'go, the 2nd section is the same settings as the first, just with the guitar's volume rolled back a bit. Tone's on 10 on the guitar.

LS Demo
Edit: I DID see 'heavier' in the description. If you want to hear something different just ask.

Thank you immensely for that. :)

Could you throw up a sample of something totally clean? The driven sound is quite what I'm looking for compared to the SD I have in the bridge right now to be sure. I do spend more time than not on clean tones though, so if you could throw something like that up it'd be killer.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Alleric posted:

Thank you immensely for that. :)

Could you throw up a sample of something totally clean? The driven sound is quite what I'm looking for compared to the SD I have in the bridge right now to be sure. I do spend more time than not on clean tones though, so if you could throw something like that up it'd be killer.
Sure thing, gimme a few minutes.

Edit: Well, more than a few minutes, sorry, my day blew up but I threw some crap down, it's bouncing over and uploading now.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2014

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world

Agreed posted:

13s on a bolt-on 6-string neck is actually getting into "I'd be careful to make sure it's a well made guitar" territory to be totally honest. If it's using some of the better connection techniques like actual bolts instead of wood screws, or otherwise is just very well made and nice and firmly secured, less worry, but make damned sure it's not got a weak link in the chain and that your truss rod is up to snuff because that is a lot of tension to stick on a two-parter. Wouldn't be concerned if it were neck-through or even a long tenon set neck, but I'd be afraid to tune standard on 13s or higher on quite a few guitars.

Maybe I'm just not putting enough faith in their construction quality, just have had some less than awesome experiences running a slightly heavier tuned set of 12s (for a while I was putting my own string sets together and using really heavy strings before I settled back into Skinny Top / Heavy Bottom or B.B. King sig nickel wounds 10-13-17-32-45-54) on a strat copy that wasn't as well made as it could have been (think SX level quality, not the snazzy recent Squier CM or MIM Fender quality). Ended up warping the neck and the truss rod didn't have enough oomph to deal with the strings. That sucked.

I actually like to keep my guitars tuned a half-step down from standard and then I capo up a fret. When I was learning guitar I had a limited supply of string sets for a long time and I kept breaking them on my acoustic (I think because the bridge was getting pretty notched) so I started tuning down just to save strings, and now I'm way more used to the fretboard when it's capoed up a step than when it's not.

My guitar's MIA isn't it? It doesn't specify anywhere on the guitar itself, but reading online it sounds like this series is all American made. Do I still have to worry about the strings messing it up? I don't know how to tell if it has actual bolts instead of screws on the neck without unscrewing them to see and I'm not sure I want to try that myself.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're probably screws. I wouldn't worry about it too much. At some point, the neck might need an adjustment, but if you have a dual-action truss rod (and I'd bet you do on an American tele) it's not a big deal.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Alleric posted:

Could you throw up a sample of something totally clean?
Here y'go man.
Don't laugh, I very rarely ever play pristinely clean, it's kind of startling to hear and I've not even really started setting up the SLO for anything other than crunchy and heavy, so I simply left the settings dialed in where they were before, flipped off the bright and crunch toggles and set preamp input to the same as the OD channel and drove the volume up to 8 into the same 4x10 (which I'm REALLY enjoying playing through, I may switch to it a lot more). Did zero volume or tone knob manipulation on the Strat this time, they're both at 10.

What amp are you playing through? I might have something a little closer to it here or, if you want me to do something more specific just lemme know.

Settings:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

muike posted:

They're probably screws. I wouldn't worry about it too much. At some point, the neck might need an adjustment, but if you have a dual-action truss rod (and I'd bet you do on an American tele) it's not a big deal.

This is accurate in all regards as far as I know. It would have had to have been modded with bolts after-market, very likely that it's the standard screws + retention plate setup, which only really starts to get weaker as you dick with it - I had to carve out, dowel, and re-drill holes for my MIM strat a long time ago because of a lot of neck fuckery, but never had to take the neck off of my MIA tele or MIJ strat even once and no strippage or anything going on there with them. The MIM strat had to be shimmed or I'd have left it alone, but that's a pain in the rear end so it was on and off a few times and that's about guaranteed to chew out the holes.

And, yeah, it's also very likely depending on year of manufacture that it has a dual-action truss, and those stabilize the neck against warping despite considerable tension.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 11, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

So has anyone used one a jellyfish pick before? Like it seems like a neat idea but I really not sure if it works as intended in real life or easily at all.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

So has anyone used one a jellyfish pick before? Like it seems like a neat idea but I really not sure if it works as intended in real life or easily at all.

A lice comb?

Huh, I've never even heard of those before now. I'm with you, seems interesting, but wrecks my brain to think about.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

I have used it, and it doesn't do at all what it claims to do. It's just difficult to play with, like using, well, a wire brush. Thing is not on my friendly list o' cool rear end picks.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

iostream.h posted:

A lice comb?

Huh, I've never even heard of those before now. I'm with you, seems interesting, but wrecks my brain to think about.

Looking at youtube videos of it they claim multiple purposes like give a chorus like effect and plucking and such. I don't think I could use it very effectively because I like to just jam my picks into the strings like a neanderthal.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Agreed posted:

I have used it, and it doesn't do at all what it claims to do. It's just difficult to play with, like using, well, a wire brush. Thing is not on my friendly list o' cool rear end picks.

That is what I thought. Thanks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Stravinsky posted:

I remember seeing those marketed a long time ago but had no idea they still existed. Its funny how stuff like that or the EBow stick around forever and not really evolve.

I mean they still sell this thing and it doesn't look like they have done a single thing to the design of even the headphones

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

I remember those, they've been around for awhile. What are they even intended to do?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

I mean they still sell this thing and it doesn't look like they have done a single thing to the design of even the headphones

They don't NEED to change anything about that, loved that thing when I was a teen, still do.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

I remember those, they've been around for awhile. What are they even intended to do?

Supposed to give you a 12-string sound or a chorus sound, but in reality it just sounds bad, like running a bunch of little wires over the string. It's basically just a crappy pick. I've heard arguments that you have to "learn how to play it" but, come on, I've got so many picks from .88mm to 14mm thick in shapes that defy sense, I have learned how to play everything under the sun, and no amount of turning your picking angle differently makes that Jellyfish thing actually do its stated job. It's just a crap pick, nobody buy it :mad:

iostream.h posted:

They don't NEED to change anything about that, loved that thing when I was a teen, still do.

No poo poo, the Rockman rules. I know, I know, Voxes little tiny amplug things are the new hotness or whatever, but the Rockman has been awesome forever :shobon:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JHVH-1 posted:

They did change those when Scholz sold out to Dunlop. And not for the better.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

They did change those when Scholz sold out to Dunlop. And not for the better.

They only make three out of the dozen or more that used to be made, too, which is a real shame. I think just the "Ace" series is still made, correct me if I'm wrong.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stravinsky posted:

These are dumb but if you really want one I'll send you mine.

JHVH-1 posted:

Its funny how stuff like that or the EBow stick around forever and not really evolve.

Hey, EBows are awesome!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
How hard is it to change the intonation on a CV50 Tele? I have been watching a few really lovely videos and a bunch of a vague internet posts, and it seems like a pain in the rear end. Right now my strings are really sitting high and it is starting to get on my nerves.