Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kintarooooo
Feb 10, 2004
SA > Fark > xians.
A Liberal MNA is already calling the upcoming election for the PQ, predicting a hold of 51-53 Liberal seats and a CAQ meltdown. Not entirely certain of a PQ majority though.

Is this kind of jaded prognostic normal for the second party "technically vying to form government"? (For a third party, it's normal, but the second is really surprising...) A stab at Couillard's leadership/effectiveness or were they planning for a lame duck opposition next mandate from the start?

Source from La Presse, Henri-François Gautrin (PLQ-Verdun) here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Helsing posted:

The poll numbers that get published in the paper's and the analysis of pundits may not be worth much, but the fact that Conservative strategy documents are focusing exclusively on Trudeau does not inspire confidence in Mulcair's ambition to become the next Prime Minister.

The lack of any sort of aggressive targeting of the NDP by other parties could potentially be a benefit going into an election.

I really do wish the NDP would at least give some lip service to Alberta. The Liberal brand out here is badly tarnished thanks to the NEP (and it's not like having a guy named 'Trudeau' is going to win them any favours). But there is a very strong progressive streak in the urban centres. Hell, Calgary just flew the pride flag for the Olympics and downtown is about to get criss-crossed with cycle tracks. There is a lot of opportunity to seriously wiggle in and provide an alternative to our mostly useless MP's.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
We'll have to wait and see what the NDP decides to roll out for election time. I hope to hell they don't wait too long (like in BC) to bother with ads concerning their platform, or attack ads.

Also didn't Trudeau initially say he wasn't going to go negative? Any word on whether that's still the case?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

JawKnee posted:

We'll have to wait and see what the NDP decides to roll out for election time. I hope to hell they don't wait too long (like in BC) to bother with ads concerning their platform, or attack ads.

Also didn't Trudeau initially say he wasn't going to go negative? Any word on whether that's still the case?
I think they're taking it easy. I mean, seriously, ATM fees? Is that the best you have, NDP? Oh, sorry, you've got an electoral reform platform that Scott has been flogging for months? And the tax reforms? A pledge to take a serious look at the TFW program's irregularities? You've been on the ball with the housing crisis since 2010?

It has to be done right, but it's not like they don't have grudging respect from some people right now.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Kafka Esq. posted:

We even have a massive financial crisis brewing on the horizon that is the direct fault of the Conservative fiscal policy.

Which one would that be? I can think of a couple but I'm not sure if it might just be my rabidly anti-Harper perception.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

Which one would that be? I can think of a couple but I'm not sure if it might just be my rabidly anti-Harper perception.

In order of short to long-term: there's the housing crisis covered by the other thread, which is tied to Canadian consumer debt, which is tied (sort of) to the decimation of Canadian manufacturing, which is tied to dutch disease, which contributes to the potential economic damage of climate change.

Believe in some, none, or all of them if you like!

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

eXXon posted:

I wonder what kind of government we would have if we had proportional representation, with non-voters electing empty seats. Imagine a house with a roughly 20-20-20 percent split between Liberal, NDP and Conservative, plus a few token Bloc or Greens, and a solid 40% empty seats.

How would this work? Would all non-voting eligible voters count as a vote for an empty seat? With Canada's voter turn out we have a mostly empty House of Commons. With a 61.1% turnout, we would have a majority government lead by no one. What happens in this case? Perpetual elections until enough people vote?

Fake e: I'm probably misunderstanding the math here.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
This is pretty great. "Pierre Poilievre denies criticizing the Elections Canada boss"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Looks like the PCs have identified their target in Niagara Falls.

Wanna vote for that candidate.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
He should play up the extreme angle at stump at the barrel museum. Hell, go over the falls - I'd vote for what's left of him.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Dreylad posted:

In order of short to long-term: there's the housing crisis covered by the other thread, which is tied to Canadian consumer debt, which is tied (sort of) to the decimation of Canadian manufacturing, which is tied to dutch disease, which contributes to the potential economic damage of climate change.

I'll take 4 out of 5. Climate change can only improve the liveability of much of our landscape, and an increase in extreme weather events will result in a boom for the construction industry putting poo poo back after it gets knocked down. There's also an opportunity to expand our military and associated industries as we'll need to shoot climate refugees from the unluckier parts of the globe. As long as we can fund it through oil I'm only seeing opportunities.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
He does sound kind of :rock: RADICAL :rock:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The NPC posted:

How would this work? Would all non-voting eligible voters count as a vote for an empty seat? With Canada's voter turn out we have a mostly empty House of Commons. With a 61.1% turnout, we would have a majority government lead by no one. What happens in this case? Perpetual elections until enough people vote?

Fake e: I'm probably misunderstanding the math here.

Well if we kept FPTP and let 'nobody' win, then 'nobody' would stand a great chance in tight two-way races (where it's about 27% vs 27% of the electorate for the top two candidates) and would win in tight three-way races. I assume you'd get about 40% of the house empty, so you'd need every remaining party to work together. In other words, nothing would ever happen and there would be perpetual gridlock.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Dallan Invictus posted:

Whichever CPC insider is leaking election strategy documents to the Star, please continue. It's like poli-sci nerd Christmas up in here. :allears:

THBQ Guy Giorno is a loving zen master at compliance issues. My fiancee went to a workshop he spoke at for charitable organizations - "I went to a workshop on the lobbying act with Giorno. He is SMART". The Tories picking him up as Compliance Guy was almost 100%.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Rust Martialis posted:

THBQ Guy Giorno is a loving zen master at compliance issues. My fiancee went to a workshop he spoke at for charitable organizations - "I went to a workshop on the lobbying act with Giorno. He is SMART". The Tories picking him up as Compliance Guy was almost 100%.

Dude also ran PMO like Sun Tzu was his pappy.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Well now I have to vote for Gates. I was disappointed that I can now no longer can vote for the Communist Party like when I lived in Toronto, but if he's just as radical....radical!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Want stronger unions and sweeping strikes in solidarity with communists, yes please.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

drat, I would vote for Radical Wayne in a heartbeat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

He's even rocking the Stalin-stache. We must elect this man.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Dreylad posted:

Stop, you're making me want to leave.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pinterest Mom posted:

A tweet every 10 minutes about the same topic seems like a good way to lose all your followers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, it really is every ten minutes. It's like that guy has a timer.

*ring* Did you know that radical Wayne Gates did a totally wicked jump over 15 union bosses on his skateboard? #2extreme4niagara

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ensign Expendable posted:

They just don't have a "humanise" function on their Twitterbot.

For that matter, they don't even have a botnet of fake Twitter accounts retweeting this. Have they learned nothing from the Republicans? Between that and the attack site (so 1990s), I have to wonder what moron they have running their web/social media campaign.

Also, didn't attack sites kinda go away as a concept because they generally cross the line into defamation and are thus illegal?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Not really, that 7 pm tweet didn't go out until 7:01. I hope they fired that guy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Whiskey Sours posted:

Not really, that 7 pm tweet didn't go out until 7:01. I hope they fired that guy.

A minute lost is a vote lost to Radical Wayne and his extreme agenda!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

They just don't have a "humanise" function on their Twitterbot.

You mean Hudak?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stay classy, NP:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

angerbeet posted:

He should play up the extreme angle at stump at the barrel museum. Hell, go over the falls - I'd vote for what's left of him.

I want to see him bungee jump off a tall building then slam dunk a copy of The Communist Manifesto, breaking the glass with followed quickly by fireworks.

Lester B. Pearson
Jul 4, 2007

Free Marc Emery
and all other
political prisoners!

*ring* Did you know that radical Wayne Gates did a totally wicked jump over 15 union bosses on his skateboard? #2extreme4niagara

Those tweets were during the final byelection debate, and the debate had a screen showing tweets with #NiagaraVotes

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

JoelJoel posted:

Stay classy, NP:

lol, already forecasting his inevitable downfall and tragic death too no doubt.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

That is god damned magnificent :golfclap:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I'm starting to feel sorry for the Ontario PCs.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Ontario PCs are currently holding a press conference in which they're showing some of Radical Wayne's interventions at CAW convention microphones.

This is great I love the PCPO.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Little Blackfly posted:

I'm starting to feel sorry for the Ontario PCs.

I won't feel bad for them until they are no longer in the conversation for electable provincial government parties.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I won't feel bad for them until they get a leader that doesn't suck at the nut of the Great Gipper.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In a vote between a man with a moustache and a man without, go for the 'stash.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So this is some poo poo that's happening.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I came here to post this. Apparently she's being held in the men's side of the prison. Legal representation from No One is Illegal is headed there for her 1:30-3:00 visitation. Cheri DiNovo's staff are also on the case. Hopefully she gets out today, or at least transferred to the women's detention.

Check https://twitter.com/beetrix for updates.

e: Maybe she doesn't have a lawyer still? Situation is fluid.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Where should a pre-op MTF be kept if not the men's section? Couldn't I as a man request to be kept in the woman's section too then?

• Locked thread