Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, I doubt Arthur will still be competing when my taping comes up. Unless he becomes the next Ken Jennings, I figure he's gone by now, taping-wise.

If, by whatever quirk of chance, he's still on, I doubt the Jeopardy casting people will let me compete against him, since then it'll be two Asian guys going against each other with another person thrown in the mix, which probably wouldn't look too good diversity-wise, if the casting directors of Jeopardy care at all about that... I'm not as fat as Arthur, but I can be a goony looking Asian guy with glasses easily enough. That might be bad for me, since if Arthur continues to win, it'll likely mean a wasted trip out to LA for me...

Not even sure if I'll be able to be on camera even when I do go out there. The lady I spoke to over the phone said that since I'm going to be flying so far across the country, they'll do their best to get me on camera, though she made clear that there are no guarantees. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be on, at least I hope so.

I dunno, I'm still trying to work out all the adrenaline that's going through my system now after I learned I was being called to do a taping. Nervous energy plus not enough sleep last night makes for a bad combination. Way too amped at the moment... Gotta calm down, and make sure I don't publicize what happened to me too much. Avoided directly referring to it on social media so far, but have been texting back and forth with friends and family, and of course, letting you goons here know. Shouldn't have run afoul of any rules yet, at least, I hope I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

We're all pulling for you, GS! That's so awesome.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bounce around the board and piss Alex off just like Arthur.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Mo0 posted:

Do they literally pull names out of a hat?

Not a hat, but they do put index cards face-down on a table and pick that way.

GhostStalker posted:

Not even sure if I'll be able to be on camera even when I do go out there. The lady I spoke to over the phone said that since I'm going to be flying so far across the country, they'll do their best to get me on camera, though she made clear that there are no guarantees. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be on, at least I hope so.

I'm pretty sure they just say that so if you get out there and start uncontrollably vomiting or something they can say "well, we told you there was no guarantee!" You'll definitely be on unless you really screw something up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Human Cow posted:

I'm pretty sure they just say that so if you get out there and start uncontrollably vomiting or something they can say "well, we told you there was no guarantee!" You'll definitely be on unless you really screw something up.

Well that's somewhat of a load off of my mind... Guess I should stop talking to other people about getting to go to a taping and maybe competing before they kick me off for breaking that rule.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
I dont get it, why would they call you and tell you a date and fly you over there but theres a chance you dont go on TV? Is there an extra elimination round or something. Seems dumb.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I dont get it, why would they call you and tell you a date and fly you over there but theres a chance you dont go on TV? Is there an extra elimination round or something. Seems dumb.

Pretty much yeah. I got called for kid jeopardy years and years ago and they basically make you take another online test to further weed down contestants (this is where I was eliminated). They only need like maybe 150 people per year.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Kick some rear end, Ghost Stalker. Make flash cards for the categories you're not too great with. J-Archive.com has thousands of games archived, and well, Jeopardy has a way of repeating its questions. Personally, I suck with opera, so I'd go on there and study all the key words and answers for the most commonly asked opera questions.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Do they pay travel? If i had no guarantee I'd get on tv I don't even think if bother making the travel.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
No, they don't pay travel. You'd think they could, given that they've been rolling in that Goldbond's Foot Powder money for so long.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Don't forget that Aleve money.

But yes. Not sure I could justify going without the guarantee I'd be on the show and thus not leave without that 1k.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Human Cow posted:

Jimmy from the Clue Crew was at my audition (they happened to be filming a bunch of clues in Tampa and St. Augustine that week) and did a bit of a Q&A for us while we waited on the tests to be graded and he addressed this question directly. There was a rather large group of people who were pretty livid about the whole "pay for your own travel but we can't guarantee it's worth it" policy.

It's true it's covering their rear end for legal, but it's not as shady as you think. They film the shows in batches over 2 or 3 days, I forget which, and they will call out the contestants they need. However, on rare occasions, there are these weird things called TIES that result in needing only ONE contestant for the following show, or in VERY rare cases zero. As a result, the rotation gets hosed up and you might not make it on camera.

If that happens, you're sent home....but they pay for you to return the following week. Same thing happens if you're a champion on the final taping for the week; you're sent home and they pay to fly you back for any additional tapings as long as you keep winning.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Btw there's a lot of information about Jeopardy behind-the-scenes and especially the importance of grasping the buzzer mechanics in Ken Jenning's book called Brainiac. He basically says something to the effect of: nearly all the contestants know nearly all the answers on a given show but it all comes down to how you work the buzzer.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

thathonkey posted:

Btw there's a lot of information about Jeopardy behind-the-scenes and especially the importance of grasping the buzzer mechanics in Ken Jenning's book called Brainiac. He basically says something to the effect of: nearly all the contestants know nearly all the answers on a given show but it all comes down to how you work the buzzer.

The show I was on wasn't Jeopardy but it was somewhat similar in that you had to beat your opponents to the buzzer in order to answer. Almost everyone knows the answer it is all about that extra fraction of a second it takes to buzz in, so I'd definitely say that would be the thing to work on.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Alan BStard posted:

The show I was on wasn't Jeopardy but it was somewhat similar in that you had to beat your opponents to the buzzer in order to answer. Almost everyone knows the answer it is all about that extra fraction of a second it takes to buzz in, so I'd definitely say that would be the thing to work on.

For sure, you get to go up there before all of the tapings to answer 4 or 5 questions, play with the buzzer, and get used to the environment. I just concentrated on buzzer timing during that and it seemed to really pay off during the actual game.

Also, that pen they give out during the auditions is about the same size as the buzzer, so it's great to practice with at home.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure buzzer technique is what I need to work on. I can get most of the answers correct when I'm just watching the show, but getting to buzz in first is pretty much what seems to be the most important.

I did a local school Geography Bowl thing like 15 years ago and they kinda had the same setup: you're unable to buzz in until they finish reading the entire question type deal and their buzzers were locked out for buzzing in until they did so. Won two years in a row (though it was a team competition) by being able to buzz in on time and answer correctly, so I guess if I remember how to do that well, I should be fine on the actual show.

The audition I went to last year also had a portion where you played a mock game, answering a few clues complete with buzzers that only worked after the question was fully read and the screen around it lit up, so I had some practice there.

escape artist posted:

No, they don't pay travel. You'd think they could, given that they've been rolling in that Goldbond's Foot Powder money for so long.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Jimmy from the Clue Crew was at my audition (they happened to be filming a bunch of clues in Tampa and St. Augustine that week) and did a bit of a Q&A for us while we waited on the tests to be graded and he addressed this question directly. There was a rather large group of people who were pretty livid about the whole "pay for your own travel but we can't guarantee it's worth it" policy.

It's true it's covering their rear end for legal, but it's not as shady as you think. They film the shows in batches over 2 or 3 days, I forget which, and they will call out the contestants they need. However, on rare occasions, there are these weird things called TIES that result in needing only ONE contestant for the following show, or in VERY rare cases zero. As a result, the rotation gets hosed up and you might not make it on camera.

If that happens, you're sent home....but they pay for you to return the following week. Same thing happens if you're a champion on the final taping for the week; you're sent home and they pay to fly you back for any additional tapings as long as you keep winning.

Yeah, they don't pay travel. The lady who called me told me that I would have to pay for my own flight over (reiterating what they told me at my audition last year), but if I was a returning champion and had to come back next week because I won on the last episode they taped on Wednesday (they tape on Tuesdays and Wednesdays), they'd pay for me to fly back out. Cheapest flights' I've found to LAX and back around my taping days are running around $310 (leaving on Monday afternoon, back on Wednesday night), plus fees, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Have to pay for my hotel as well, but the lady I talked to gave me the number of a hotel they have a deal with nearby, with a Jeopardy contestant rate, plus the coupon code with which to activate it. Apparently, they also have a shuttle bus to the studios in the morning. I was planning to stay with friends of family to save some money when I get out there, but I've been convinced otherwise, since according to the family member in question, they live far away from where the television studios are and the lady said that they start taping around 8am.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pretty much yeah. I got called for kid jeopardy years and years ago and they basically make you take another online test to further weed down contestants (this is where I was eliminated). They only need like maybe 150 people per year.

Pretty sure I'm already past that point, since I think that's what my audition last year was for. If I'm flying out there, it's for a taping, barring any unforeseen consequences as Vaderham alluded to above or something else where I managed to violate the rules by knowing a member of the film crew or blabbing all over social media that I was going to be on the show before they actually do my taping. That was one point that the lady who called me was absolutely firm about.

I'm hoping doing this actually doesn't count, because the lady said that they were afraid of me being contacted by the media and doing an interview before I'm actually on camera, in which case, they'd probably have to get their press or legal teams involved, and I don't want that to happen. I guess talking to you guys is cool, since none of you have any idea who I am IRL, unless you do some creepy internet detective stuff and I doubt you guys would risk a ban just to screw me over like that, at least I hope.

escape artist posted:

Kick some rear end, Ghost Stalker. Make flash cards for the categories you're not too great with. J-Archive.com has thousands of games archived, and well, Jeopardy has a way of repeating its questions. Personally, I suck with opera, so I'd go on there and study all the key words and answers for the most commonly asked opera questions.

I might look through J-Archive to prepare, but I'm still pretty busy with classes and work at the moment. Not sure how I'm going to prepare, maybe just by watching the episodes as they're airing and doing my best to answer the clues they offer. Final Jeopardy seems to be tripping me up lately, though I do get most of them if I think about them for a while, especially if I'm reading them in the New York Times.

I dunno, my Jeopardy watching cousin recommended I go through J-Archive and see what categories are popular for Double Jeopardy or Daily Doubles and work on my weaknesses, and I might do that if I have some free time, but that's looking unlikely what with all the stuff I have going on right now. I know some of my weaknesses include literature and especially religion and the Bible, so I think I'll look into working on that if I have the time. Opera, architecture, and botany seem like weaknesses as well, so I'll try and work on them if I do any reviewing. I'm pretty good with history and geography, and science stuff as well, and I think I'm pretty well versed on pop culture, so I should be ok there, except for maybe older movies, TV shows, and actors, and older/some current sports.

I have a month until my taping, so I guess anything can happen up until then. We'll see how this all turns out.

The Human Cow posted:

Also, that pen they give out during the auditions is about the same size as the buzzer, so it's great to practice with at home.

Bah, I think I have that away to a friend. I guess I should practice on something, but hopefully some muscle memory from way back when with buzzers comes back to me when it counts.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 8, 2014

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I feel like the best thing to practice timing would just be to try clicking in while watching episodes on TV. Watch the special retro episodes for the Decades Tournament guys that are online if you really want to overprepare. You'll have the awkward questions where nobody buzzes in for five seconds, but if you're buzzing in at the same second as everybody else, you'll be fine.

Or you can just be the current champion and mash the loving buzzer like crazy.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

thathonkey posted:

Without discounting the importance of the buzzer, I've always felt that Ken's own insane level of knowledge led him to overestimate his opponents' knowledge, and therefore to overestimate the role that his buzzer mastery played in his success. No one is going to be that good at buzzer timing to win 70+ games. Especially since early on they started having different people on the Jeopardy staff control the timing of when you can buzz in, just in case Ken somehow was unconsciously in sync with the guy who normally did it.

It's true that most of the contestants "know" most of the answers, because you need to score at least 70% on two tests to get on the show. However, I think there's more to it than that. On the tests, you can guess on every single question without penalty. In the game, you can only buzz in if you're willing to risk losing money with a wrong answer. Also, even though the tests have a time limit, you get several seconds longer to think of the answer (or guess) than you would on the show. Finally, on the tests, every question is worth the same--unlike the show, where the more difficult clues are worth much more.

There's a big difference between being able to guess the answer on a test within several seconds, versus knowing something cold, having total confidence in your answer, and being willing to buzz in right away to risk your money.

My own feeling is that Ken was successful because his level of knowledge really was on a much higher level than all of his opponents, in terms of the facts that he knew cold. That edge made an even bigger difference on the high-value clues, and his ability to be comfortable betting aggressively on Daily Doubles.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Has there been any talk about who is taking over for Alex when he retires, or is it just unsaid but accepted that it's going to be Ken Jennings?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Perfidus posted:

Has there been any talk about who is taking over for Alex when he retires, or is it just unsaid but accepted that it's going to be Ken Jennings?
That's the obvious move but the name that actually comes up for some reason is Matt loving Lauer.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Matt Lauer thing came from the New York Post so it's probably not even close to being true

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That's the obvious move but the name that actually comes up for some reason is Matt loving Lauer.

I've heard Anderson Cooper is also in the running.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Retail Slave posted:

I've heard Anderson Cooper is also in the running.

Dan Patrick is also a name that I've seen they're interested in.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Watson is also a strong candidate and can connect better with an audience emotionally than Lauer.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

Dan Patrick is also a name that I've seen they're interested in.

Only if Kenny Mayne replaces the Clue Crew.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I thought they were going back to regular games this week. It's the College Championship.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
This was the most shameful Final Jeopardy I can remember in a long time. Good grief. :cripes:

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
Yeah. That might have been the easiest FJ in history outside of a teen/kids/celebrity game and all three missed it.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What was it? I missed tonight's episode.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I get to miss Jeopardy for the entirety of the Olympics! :thumbsup:

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008

Perfidus posted:

What was it? I missed tonight's episode.

http://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-2-10-14/

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Oh wow, I saw complaining about that on Facebook, but I figured the music major complaining that nobody knew the composer of Bolero was talking about the Final Jeopardy.

Do college kids just not play Total War games or something? I feel like there's enough of an overlap between that series (heck, probably even Paradox mapgames) that at least one of them should've gotten it.

e: I get that "don't they at least play VIDEOGAMES" is pretty :goonsay: of me, but this is College Jeopardy we're talking about. Most of these kids are probably nerdier than we are, and we post in the Something Awful Jeopardy thread.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I didn't get it :(

If I ever get the call I'm studying geography like crazy.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

zakharov posted:

I didn't get it :(

If I ever get the call I'm studying geography like crazy.

it's opera and broadway for me. I am beginning to feel like I've been blacklisted like a commie.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
edit: whoops

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mennoknight posted:

it's opera and broadway for me. I am beginning to feel like I've been blacklisted like a commie.

Same here, although I also would have known about Sicily/Etna because it's a popular crossword clue/friends of mine are Palermo fans, and [i]ultras[i] of northern Italian clubs always talk about how they want another Etna to happen when Palermo goes up to Milan or Turin.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

On the Media had a fun interview with Arthur, which should really piss off you sperglords who hate him.

http://www.onthemedia.org/story/rabble-rouser-jeopardy/

Also, KenJen wrote an essay in Slate defending him.

quote:

It didn’t take long for Arthur Chu to become Public Game Show Enemy No. 1. Within days of his Jan. 28 debut on Jeopardy!, the 30-year-old Cleveland-area insurance analyst was making America very, very angry. “Arthur Chu is the worst jeopardy contestant of all time,” one viewer tweeted. “I can’t wait until someone beats his joyless, smug rear end,” seethed another. Even the JBoard, normally a collegial hangout for the top-rated quiz show’s most dedicated ex-contestants and fans, got ugly. “There is no need to disrespect the game,” one poster scolded Chu.

This all took me back to the heady days of summer 2004, when I began my own run as a Jeopardy! contestant and fans soon tired of my presence behind the leftmost podium. In ESPN the Magazine, Bill Simmons called me “a smarmy know-it-all with the personality of a hall monitor.” (My company is, to this day, called Hall Monitor LLC.) On Jeopardy!, a rigidly formatted show in its 30th year, the only real breath of fresh air is the endless parade of new contestants. Familiarity, on the other hand, quickly breeds contempt.

There’s an obvious racial angle to all the Chu-hate.
It’s true that Arthur Chu is a buzzer-waver, a button-masher, a Trebek-interrupter. But between rounds of gameplay and in the many subsequent interviews he’s done—Chu is clearly enjoying his 15 minutes—he comes across as perfectly pleasant, chatty, and self-aware. Given the low bar of Jeopardy!-contestant charisma, he is a normal, likable guy. The sudden wave of Chu-mosity is largely just a symptom of our modern news cycle, where one spate of hostile tweets can spawn a million repetitive reaction pieces before the feedback loop dies.

There’s an obvious racial angle as well. Chu, a bespectacled man with rumpled shirts and a bowl cut, plays into every terrible Asian-nerd stereotype you’ve ever seen in an ’80s teen movie. Charmingly, he seems to enjoy the role of the scheming outsider. In a recent Wall Street Journal interview, he pitted his own eccentric genius against me, “the angelic blond boy next door, the central casting ‘nice boy.’ ”

But in fact, plenty of nice white boys on Jeopardy! have been pilloried by viewers for using Arthur Chu’s signature technique: bopping around the game board seemingly at whim, rather than choosing the clues from top to bottom, as most contestants do. This is Chu’s great crime, the kind of anarchy that hard-core Jeopardy! fans will not countenance. The technique was pioneered in 1985 by a five-time champ named Chuck Forrest, whose law school roommate suggested it. The “Forrest bounce,” as fans still call it, kept opponents off balance. He would know ahead of time where the next clue would pop up; they’d be a second slow.

More recently, skipping around the board has evolved into an art form. Jeopardy! luminaries like David Madden (19-game winning streak, 2005) and Roger Craig (Tournament of Champions winner and single-day winnings record holder, 2010–11) have used “the bounce” as a strategic way to hack an underappreciated key to Jeopardy! success: the Daily Double.

In any game of Jeopardy!, three clues have been secretly earmarked as Daily Doubles. The player who finds each one can bet any or all of her winnings on responding to it correctly. By and large, Jeopardy! players are a risk-averse bunch. Unless a player is in need of a big comeback, the Daily Double wager is usually a smallish one.

Strategically, this is crazy. Like a poker player trying to increase the size of the pot when he has a good hand, Jeopardy! contestants should maximize their upside when the odds are in their favor. Historically, the odds of getting a Daily Double correct are very good: Between 65 and 70 percent. Too many players instead let games come down to Final Jeopardy, where conversion is much less predictable. (Less than half of all Final Jeopardy responses are correct.) Finding the Daily Doubles becomes more important the stronger a player you are, since it lowers the influence of chance on the outcome. Crunching some numbers, I see that my own Daily Double conversion during my Jeopardy! run was about 83 percent. In hindsight, my wagers were almost always too small.

So when Arthur Chu bobs and weaves around the board, he’s chasing those game-changing Daily Doubles. (The Jeopardy! contestant coordinators recommend playing the game in top-to-bottom order, mostly to make life easier on Alex Trebek and the techs who run the game board, but it’s not a requirement.) Hunting is possible because Daily Doubles may be hidden, but they’re not distributed randomly. For example, they’re much more likely to be in the fourth row of clues (36 percent of the time, in recent years) than the second row (just 10 percent). Roger Craig even discovered that Daily Doubles are distributed nonrandomly by column as well, and played accordingly. He put the 2011 Tournament of Champions away early with an incredibly ballsy pair of Daily Double bets that still makes my sphincters clench when I watch it today.

Arthur Chu has been lauded in headlines as the pioneer of Jeopardy! “game theory,” but Craig is the one who designed his own computer software from scratch to allow him to game Jeopardy! “moneyball”-style. Chu, by his own admission, just Googled “jeopardy strategy.” If he has seen more Daily Doubles than other men, it is because he stood on the shoulders of giants.

I was converted to Daily Double hunting during my 2011 match against the IBM supercomputer Watson. During a practice round, Watson took the clues in order, like a good citizen; I won the game in a runaway. But during the televised match, Watson’s minders switched it into “game mode,” which of course involved smart strategies like hunting for Daily Doubles. This time, Watson roared into a huge lead. I had a chance to come back near the end of the match when I found the first Daily Double in the round—but my next clue selection wasn’t quite the optimal one, and Watson found the second Daily Double instead. Lights out.

Arthur Chu is on the Jeopardy! bench for a couple of weeks while a college tournament airs, but he’ll back on Feb. 24, and the Daily Double hunt will begin anew. In sports, players and fans love it when teams shake up the game with new techniques: the basketball jump shot in the 1950s, the split-finger fastball in the 1980s, four-down football today. Why should Jeopardy! be any different? Strategic play makes for a more complex, exciting show. Don’t listen to the Internet kibitzers. Arthur Chu is playing the game right.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/02/ken_jennings_on_jeopardy_champion_arthur_chu_and_daily_double_hunting.html

Basically, Arthur owns.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
I watched one of Chuck Forrest's episodes on Crackle and I did not see any bouncing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

One of these students is wearing a bow tie with a sweatshirt. And he's from Texas A&M to boot. I really hate this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

"Candy Crush" is a category for Kids Week, not a competition for alleged adults.