Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

In the chapter two subquest where you fight the Summoner boss, is there any cue preceding when she's going to Summon Girtanbluflu or whatever his name is?

I think they act in a preset order? I just managed to one-round the boss using invigorated Moonbeam + 3 Hidden Dragons(only needed 1, but the other 2 ended up clearing out the soldiers) after leading in with Rapid Fire (or whatever the 2nd bow move was called) and 3 normal attacks on Edea with Fira on her bow with the hits doing 1100-1500 due to 8 hits + crits. Agnes did a followup with piercing bolt and 3 Thundaras that hit for around 1100 each due to thunder amp on gear + buffs.

Ringabell just kinda sat around curing the party. One turn he did have to raise Edea and double Cura though due to bad timing but he had the BP to burn since he got to default a few times.

Invigorate as a lead up to heavy hits is just too good sometimes. Thanks to the 400% crit bonus due to Edea acting first, Tiz crit on the Moonbeam for around 3700 and then each of his 3 followups at the end were doing around 1k on non-crits. The Hunter boss I did right after was much easier. Then I went and wiped to the summon because it did 1400 damage to everyone since I didn't realize until the 'fight' started that I was just going to get hit and didn't have water defense items/skills on.

SirBukkake posted:

I'm having a blast with this game and I'm only in Chapter 2. Without getting too spoilery, is there a class/job in the game that's similar to a Blue Mage or an ability to steal monster's moves?

I hope it's as fun/broken as Blue Magic in FF5. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Calaveron posted:

So am I right in assuming (big spoilers I think) D's journal belongs to Alternis Dim, who might or might not be related to Ringabel? I mean, their voices are identical and you see Alternis drawn in several pages throughout the journal

It's kind of given away if you look at the outfits for Dark Knight.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Victor and Victoria keep smoking me. I was thinking about using Abate Dark (dunno whichclass gives that) and whatever item nullifies poison.

Take out Victoria first. Focus all of your attention on her.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Victor and Victoria keep smoking me. I was thinking about using Abate Dark (dunno whichclass gives that) and whatever item nullifies poison.

If there's an Abate Dark I haven't run into it yet. You can definitely buy poison-nullifying accessories somewhere though, and they're pretty much mandatory for that fight

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

I said come in! posted:

Take out Victoria first. Focus all of your attention on her.

On my second try I went for broke and knocked her out with special moves but everyone was at -3 and poisoned at low HP, and Victor cleaned me up after. It was so close too :shepicide:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is there any downside to summoning besides feeling like a big cheaty cheater? Like do I get less XP or anything?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hivac posted:

It's kind of given away if you look at the outfits for Dark Knight.

I just started chapter 2, and (probably big spoilers anyway) Ringabel is conveniently offscreen the first time someone who sounds JUST LIKE HIM with a face-concealing helmet appears. Real subtle, Bravely Default.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm checking it out now using abilink with someone who has all jobs matched, and yeah time mage has no such ability. Black mage gets that ability but only for spells cast on enemies. I can't see any equivalent for spells cast on the party, but I guess one of the two jobs I don't have yet could have that.

I just got that ability and have been trying it out. There's definitely some localization issues in this game (such as the costumes which say they change as time goes on, because in the Japanese version they gave stats based on job and level, but that was removed) and this skill is one of them. Here's what I've sorted out:

Group-Cast All
"Enable group-casting even for normally non-group-cast magic. However, this does not apply to magic targeting yourself."
--Costs 3 points
--Does NOT make multi-target spells do single-target damage to everything (boo)
--Does NOT allow you to single-target spells anymore no matter what (boo)
--Does NOT work with self-buffs like Utsuemi (this is what the text of the ability is referring to, I think)
--DOES work with spells one would normally cast on allies (yaaaaaay!)

So for buffing/debuffing spells such as Protect, Haste and Slow this is a very good ability. For spells that could already be multi-target (most damage spells) there's no change, and since you can't single-target anymore it could even be detrimental in particular situations such as the wind crystal boss or anytime you just want to heal/nuke a single person. Overall at 3 points it feels overpriced to me, maybe useful for a specialized buff/debuff character but for the rest I value being able to single-target nukes/healing over doing group buffs/debuffs most of the time. If it still let you single-target I'd say 3 points for the ability was fine.

That said, I can think of a number of specific fights where it would be quite useful to swap in. Victor Victoria had me spamming Reflect to lock down all the enemy's attacks (blocks everything except Doom and Victor's melee), and being able to group-cast that would have left Ringsabell a chance to do something other than cast reflect during the fight.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is with 10 jobs mastered so far. :kiddo:

You know you can take a screenshot of that through your DS right.

Get the screen you want on the top screen, press home, press miiverse, post it to the community and make sure there's a little picture showing up, then copy it here or wherever.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

YggiDee posted:

I just started chapter 2, and (probably big spoilers anyway) Ringabel is conveniently offscreen the first time someone who sounds JUST LIKE HIM with a face-concealing helmet appears. Real subtle, Bravely Default.

They're not exactly the same person, though! Just really close! I swear!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

What does the Summoner support ability Friendship actually do? Also, some of the Norende items mention 'aggro level', is that encounter rate or something else?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Traxis posted:

What does the Summoner support ability Friendship actually do? Also, some of the Norende items mention 'aggro level', is that encounter rate or something else?

Aggro refers to how enemies choose their targets. Tiz with an item that lowers his aggro would be targeted less than the other guys for example. On the other hand you can stack abilities and equipment that increase your aggro in order to catch most enemy attacks, keeping your other guys safe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"Agnés wore sexy clothes. It was awesome."
Ringabel for character find of 2014.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Oh my god gently caress these slow moving door puzzles in the Twilight Ruins.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\
*Just* finished those. Seconding your disdain.

Calaveron posted:

"Agnés wore sexy clothes. It was awesome."
Ringabel for character find of 2014.

I literally laughed out loud at that, showed it to my girlfriend, and she did too. Some of his lines are really brilliant.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Eat poo poo DeRosa and your bullshit "I'm going to charm Ringabel on round 1, who will regen me which heals me for 600hp a round oh and it lasts forever on enemies so gently caress you" tactics. If you want to be cheap then two can play at that game.
*drops 9999 damage friend move 8 rounds after having doing 8-9k damage*

Christ that was an aggravating fight. I could've reset and changed Ringabell to a less team-screwing class but I was determined to kill this rear end in a top hat as-is.

e: Whomever called him a PUA is dead on he even drugged women to suit further his own goals.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 11, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I just got that ability and have been trying it out. There's definitely some localization issues in this game (such as the costumes which say they change as time goes on, because in the Japanese version they gave stats based on job and level, but that was removed) and this skill is one of them. Here's what I've sorted out:

Group-Cast All
"Enable group-casting even for normally non-group-cast magic. However, this does not apply to magic targeting yourself."
--Costs 3 points
--Does NOT make multi-target spells do single-target damage to everything (boo)
--Does NOT allow you to single-target spells anymore no matter what (boo)
--Does NOT work with self-buffs like Utsuemi (this is what the text of the ability is referring to, I think)
--DOES work with spells one would normally cast on allies (yaaaaaay!)

So for buffing/debuffing spells such as Protect, Haste and Slow this is a very good ability. For spells that could already be multi-target (most damage spells) there's no change, and since you can't single-target anymore it could even be detrimental in particular situations such as the wind crystal boss or anytime you just want to heal/nuke a single person. Overall at 3 points it feels overpriced to me, maybe useful for a specialized buff/debuff character but for the rest I value being able to single-target nukes/healing over doing group buffs/debuffs most of the time. If it still let you single-target I'd say 3 points for the ability was fine.

That said, I can think of a number of specific fights where it would be quite useful to swap in. Victor Victoria had me spamming Reflect to lock down all the enemy's attacks (blocks everything except Doom and Victor's melee), and being able to group-cast that would have left Ringsabell a chance to do something other than cast reflect during the fight.

The full-power groupcast spell is the White Mage level 13 spell (Epic Group-Cast), if I have my facts straight.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

underscoremx posted:

This game is awesome because I don't even remember the last time I used the "Defend" button in a jrpg.

It's super-important in Persona 4.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At what point does it become feasible to take a little time out and grind up JP for a while? By "feasible" I mean "relatively quick." I'm midway through Chapter 2 now and the best place I've found is Florem Gardens, with the little Alraune guys who show up in big groups, but those encounters are rare enough that it still takes a long time to get job levels.

I ask because I'm starting to eye up some nice support abilities that I want to make sure multiple characters have, but I'm not sure I have the fortitude to spend several hours making it happen right now.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm kind of confused as to why I can't seem to add more villagers to my town besides via the three you get when server time rolls over. I'm using Homepass relay and cycling through mac addresses to add people to my StreetPass Plaza but when I go back to BD and hit update StreetPass no one gets added. I know some of the people I'm adding have BD because it will show up as a favorite but it never actually adds them to my villager count.

What am I doing wrong?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Monster Mash posted:

So I'm kind of confused as to why I can't seem to add more villagers to my town besides via the three you get when server time rolls over. I'm using Homepass relay and cycling through mac addresses to add people to my StreetPass Plaza but when I go back to BD and hit update StreetPass no one gets added. I know some of the people I'm adding have BD because it will show up as a favorite but it never actually adds them to my villager count.

What am I doing wrong?

Potentially nothing. It could be just people who haven't turned on the option on their systems.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Alright, I trekked out in the snow last night to save this game from my mailbox. I got the collector's edition, and it being cramped in a mailbox crushed the box a little. Also I scratched the side of the jewel case trying to get the plastic off with a knife. :/

So, how does this friend code thing work? Do I just add you guys as friends? Mine is 2878-9601-4157.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The full-power groupcast spell is the White Mage level 13 spell (Epic Group-Cast), if I have my facts straight.

That is a really confusing naming scheme, and explains why they cost 3 points, so you can't have both.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does anyone have a good strategy for DeRosa? His whole fight seems way too luck-based.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Does anyone have a good strategy for DeRosa? His whole fight seems way too luck-based.

Get everyone to Summoner level 2, equip Abate Lightning.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Holy poo poo, this Water Temple boss is caving my skull in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

Most of his attacks are physical so do whatever you can to buff phys defense.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Semper Fudge posted:

That was a really hard fight that just about everyone I know had some trouble with. Look through your items and passive abilities, you can probably resist "Seep" on a few characters if you're getting OHKO'd by it like I was. I'm playing on hard mode and was actively avoiding anything close to grinding. Got to that boss at level 28 and was forced to grind a few levels. You can do it as low as level 30 (potentially lower) on hard mode.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Harrow posted:

Get everyone to Summoner level 2, equip Abate Lightning.

It's not really the lightning I'm having a problem with so much as the healing. Dread sucks too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You know you can take a screenshot of that through your DS right.

Get the screen you want on the top screen, press home, press miiverse, post it to the community and make sure there's a little picture showing up, then copy it here or wherever.

Ooh wow, I thought that only worked for Animal Crossing.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Icy Penguigo posted:

That was a really hard fight that just about everyone I know had some trouble with. Look through your items and passive abilities, you can probably resist "Seep" on a few characters if you're getting OHKO'd by it like I was. I'm playing on hard mode and was actively avoiding anything close to grinding. Got to that boss at level 28 and was forced to grind a few levels. You can do it as low as level 30 (potentially lower) on hard mode.

Yeah, I totally forgot White Mages get Abate Water and that I picked up a Water Resist Accessory somewhere down the line.

Even with all of this, that fight was absolutely brutal and the first in the game where I felt I had to use absolutely every tool necessary. Managed to eventually get it by hasting Edea (Valk/Spell Fencer) and Agnes (White Mage) pre-seep and then healing up immediately after and spamming Lightning Enchanted Crescent Moons immediately after the seep phase. It was the only way to clear the groups fast enough before they totally obliterated me.

Sharp
Oct 26, 2008
Question and setting up a send skill. Anyone know if i have buffed the party member and then send, will it include the buffs or does it send with base stats ?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So once I get Arcanist and Spiritmaster should I switch my WM/BMs to that?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

At what point does it become feasible to take a little time out and grind up JP for a while? By "feasible" I mean "relatively quick." I'm midway through Chapter 2 now and the best place I've found is Florem Gardens, with the little Alraune guys who show up in big groups, but those encounters are rare enough that it still takes a long time to get job levels.

I ask because I'm starting to eye up some nice support abilities that I want to make sure multiple characters have, but I'm not sure I have the fortitude to spend several hours making it happen right now.

Chapter 3, right outside the lava city has been my grinding spot for the moment. There's a fairly common encounter with two scorpions, who will eventually summon in two more. I've gotten 60 to 70 JP off each fight with them, one to two shotting them with my Summoner. The other fights seem to give about 30 JP a pop, as well. I've gotten quite a few jobs to level 9 pretty quick there.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This game is real fun, if not terribly easy. The only time I need to turn it off Auto is for the boss fights. Ablink and the Summon options are real neat too. Ringabel and Edea are the best characters.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So once I get Arcanist and Spiritmaster should I switch my WM/BMs to that?

Yes, keep white and black mage as the sub-job. The support job especially is the best in the game.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
The Pirate has the Berserk ability, which says that it increases physical attack by 50% and explicitly says that it doesn't stack with other P. Attack boosts. Makes sense, the cap is 150%. The thing is though, I noticed that after Adrenaline Rush triggered my pirate was at 200% attack boost. Does it actually stack with other multipliers, or am I potentially just reading it wrong?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm 4 minutes into the game and the opening is making me want to smash the screen. This better get better, cutesy JRPG stuff drives me crazy and between the annoying fairy and ending sentences with "eh?" I want to say no thanks but I'll try to push through.

Well anyway enjoy my 4 minute review.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, keep white and black mage as the sub-job. The support job especially is the best in the game.

So like, Spiritmaster with White Mage sub and Arcanist with Black Mage sub?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What do you have against Canadians, Louisgod?

• Locked thread