Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Got totally slammed tonight from all sides. Booked out completely, and my tongs kept getting pinched, constantly. I started with 4 floating about, and ended up with none after the first hour.

I think I need to reuse the bent-spoon-in-apron thing the first chef I worked under taught me.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I don't know if I should or just wait until a coworker retires at this point because yesterday one of my coworkers told me that I was being denied the dining aid position and forever stuck as a late pot because I have a Gordon Ramsey (tv version) temper even though i work twice as hard as she can and pay twice as much attention then she does on average and we get into a lot of arguments (just her, with others I have a lot more patience for) and I have contemplated leaving the position and going back to an unsteady paycheck while finding a new job. My alternative is to bargain with my boss to state my competence over her stating how I can do a better job than her and give me a second chance.

So what should I do at this point? Cut my losses or keep going as a competent but slightly dissatisfied potwasher until she quits 5-10 years later?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You should stop throwing tantrums/getting into arguments at work when you are merely a dishwasher (I think that's what 'pot' is?) If you're drama in your entry level position, why would anyone ever want to promote you?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You should stop throwing tantrums/getting into arguments at work when you are merely a dishwasher (I think that's what 'pot' is?) If you're drama in your entry level position, why would anyone ever want to promote you?

What is happening is that back then I was able to work in the dining position, I was unexperienced and green at that point and had a lot fear of doing things wrong. I jumped from position to position before being firmly set in the dishwasher position since I was a casual at that point and was hopping between washing pots and serving food. Of course over the last couple of months I have been paying a lot more attention than one of my coworkers who under portions the food and utensils (I work at a hospital) she rarely pay attention to even though I had at one point got a verbal complaint from a resident's husband for a screwup over utensils. With another coworker she lets me do it because I know everyone on that floor by name and their dietary requirements and I can do it a lot faster than she does.

My major issue is that I have an expectation of competence regarding people and they could at least aim to do better.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

gyrobot posted:

My major issue is that I have an expectation of competence regarding people and they could at least aim to do better.

As a dishwasher, don't worry about it. It's not your place to worry about it. All you're doing is making yourself look bad. Knock it off. Focus on working hard, and getting along with people. That will get you more places than throwing a fit and crying about lovely co-workers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

gyrobot posted:

Yes, that is your major issue, but not in the sense that you think. Your co-worker is not your problem and she's not your responsibility. Shut up about it and be glad she's not your problem.

If I had a dishwasher with a temper that even vaguely resembled Ramsay's TV persona I would be looking to replace him ASAP no matter how good he was at washing dishes.

If you can't handle working with someone who doesn't have your poo poo together, you have no place in a professional kitchen.

If you can't deal with the fact that you are not in charge no matter how "right" you might be, you have no place in a professional kitchen.

I suggest you find another line of work. Maybe start your own business. Working for others doesn't seem to be in the cards for you, friend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Wroughtirony posted:

If you can't deal with the fact that you are not in charge no matter how "right" you might be, you have no place in a professional kitchen.
:irony:

But they're right. The only good part about being a dishwasher is that it's not your problem or fault if things go poorly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Man, it's dishpit. Focus down, crank that poo poo out, and give no fucks. This is the only way to survive and thrive.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I work with some real fun mother fuckers.
I sit down with our chefs and a couple other co-workers for a meeting.

Chefs (all three...) Your duck confit has been coming out dry.
Me: Oh, why do you think that is?
Chefs: I think we need to start leaving them to cool in the oil overnight.
Me: Really? Did I not suggest that before we started making it anyways?
Chefs: ...
Me: Have you ever made Duck Confit before?
Chefs: ...

Didn't think so...

Also, I don't remember who recommended the "Who has two middle fingers and doesn't work here anymore? THIS GUY," i might use this at work really REALLY soon. Only thing that is holding me back is the possibility of getting a certain job in the tech industry.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 11, 2014

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
You said that outloud?

Where's a :balls: smilie when you need it?

For content, at work I would always repeat the mantra, "Our is not to wonder why, ours is just to do and die."

When it comes right down to it it's not your name on the menu. So long as you do exactly as your Chef asks it doesn't mater how the food come out. You exist only to be an extra set of hands for your Chef's vision.

By all means suggest ways food can be improved, but when refused or ignored just sigh and do as you are asked.

You are a tool. If a Chef utilizes their tools improperly, it is not the tool's fault. Collect your paycheck and drink away the pain.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Tweek posted:

You said that outloud?

Where's a :balls: smilie when you need it?

For content, at work I would always repeat the mantra, "Our is not to wonder why, ours is just to do and die."

When it comes right down to it it's not your name on the menu. So long as you do exactly as your Chef asks it doesn't mater how the food come out. You exist only to be an extra set of hands for your Chef's vision.

By all means suggest ways food can be improved, but when refused or ignored just sigh and do as you are asked.

You are a tool. If a Chef utilizes their tools improperly, it is not the tool's fault. Collect your paycheck and drink away the pain.

It was a fellow server who handles the portioning, our cooks are more cooperative than server. Mind I work in a hospital environment but I feel I should push myself hard as an example of dedication if I want to go elsewhere to work.

And yes I had that with coke...now when i think of it the energy rush was another problem since I was coming out of a sugar high.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

gyrobot posted:

It was a fellow server who handles the portioning, our cooks are more cooperative than server. Mind I work in a hospital environment but I feel I should push myself hard as an example of dedication if I want to go elsewhere to work.

By all means be an example. That is something we should all do. If there is a problem with a co-worker, try to find a constructive way to bring it up with management (after talking with the co-worker directly). Do everything in your power to make your place of work a better, more excellent, and more efficient place.

Everything within your power. When it comes right down to it, if after you've gone through proper channel the situation still does not change, you're best off just letting it go. So long as no laws are being broken, no one is being endangered, and it does not cause your paycheck to bounce, just let it go. Do your job quietly and quickly and laugh at what fools management are as you head to the bank. If it's a big problem start looking for other work. If it's something you can ignore and the pay is otherwise good, just grit your teeth, ignore it, and hum whatever music makes your workday go by.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
This is the most important thing. Do your job within reason, and improve within reason. If someone is doing the bare minimum, but meeting the job reqs, ignore them and move on, you will not beat that person. Do what you can, and try to improve, and let management know you are trying. If they don't acknowledge your improvement, or attempt to, get a new job until someone does.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Just looking for a bit of validation here. I've turned down jobs at my 2 favorite hangouts for the 2nd time today because I enjoy them too much as a customer. They're both really excellent places to work that both are near the top of their respective games for this city and having astoundingly good business.

I'm not being too stupid am I?

It depends on how acceptable your current position is. If you were looking to bail, or were out of work, I would totally go to your hangouts and get a job. But if your current gig is reasonable, I personally wouldn't jump ship to work at a hangout spot. There are only so many excellent spots to be a regular, and an almost infinite number of lovely-to-acceptable places to work.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This is the most important thing. Do your job within reason, and improve within reason. If someone is doing the bare minimum, but meeting the job reqs, ignore them and move on, you will not beat that person. Do what you can, and try to improve, and let management know you are trying. If they don't acknowledge your improvement, or attempt to, get a new job until someone does.

What about going from the fastest to slowest worker over the span of two weeks when your Regional ignores your requests for the promised performance review to return your pay to your previous wages?

Almost sounds like a good time to gently caress off.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ironsolid posted:

What about going from the fastest to slowest worker over the span of two weeks when your Regional ignores your requests for the promised performance review to return your pay to your previous wages?

Almost sounds like a good time to gently caress off.

Why would your wages be lowered in the first place? That seems like an even better reason to gently caress off.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Naelyan posted:

Why would your wages be lowered in the first place? That seems like an even better reason to gently caress off.

New job, was promised a review after 30 then another after 90.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
So, paychecks weren't in this morning. I'm starting to get the fear.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sorry to hear that, Liquid. Sympathy. As much as I miss the gross negligence and freedom of the bistro, I don't miss the sickness of having to fight for a paycheck every single week, and having it bounce.

Camping the schedules page paid off this morning. Grabbed no less than three shifts in one fell swoop, so now I got 7 this week, including a double on Valentine's Day, so hopefully the big buckos roll in. I need it, I'm still not fully paid for last month's rent, and this month is already half loving over. I'm getting terrified.

Had a nice night at least with some waiters after hours. Rumor is that the head manager put in his two weeks (not three months, two goddamn weeks), and I saw him wandering around drunk, drink in hand, minutes after we closed. The waiters were right in their advice; I didn't lie enough on my resume. My hope now is to get sneaky and ask the head manager for the chance to become a server before he vanishes, since the other two managers hate me. Well, one of them hates me because I'm not cute and don't put up with his casual sexual harassment, the other one hates everybody and nobody likes her, and the third manager has no political power to get anyone anywhere even if I like her a lot.

This place is hosed. Time to cook up a new resume with lots of pretty lies and starts slinging it out before the busy season starts and positions vanish.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, I've had my fill of overnights anyway. Five years between the datacenter and bakery was enough, getting talked back into it 'just to get us through the holidays' was my own dumb fault.

Starting to think about bar backing a couple nights downtown for spending cash, and finding a gig cooking lunch someplace.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Speaking of resume lying, what's the best way to go about that? I'm unfortunately honest to a fault and just plain bad at lying; while I've been tweaking my resume over the past few days I've just been unsure what to exaggerate, what to fabricate, and above all how to make it believable.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Ask yourself, "Can they in any way confirm what I am about to tell them?"

If not, lie.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ughhhhhhhh don't lie on your resume because you will gently caress over everyone else on your shift when you actually DON'T know how to do all the things that you supposedly did every day. I will hate you.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Ughhhhhhhh don't lie on your resume because you will gently caress over everyone else on your shift when you actually DON'T know how to do all the things that you supposedly did every day. I will hate you.

Not knowing how to do something sounds like a way for them to confirm you were lying and you shouldn't do it. I meant it more as a way to launder experience.

Know how to do something? Make up a story about how you learned it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What about, instead of lying about skills, responsibilities? One bind I find myself in is that everyone who started after me assume's I'm in a higher position than I am, just because I'm diligent and I know my poo poo, I guess? So while I can't list the higher position on my resume, could I just put down my real position and list the higher position's responsibilites and stuff in the description?

If I'm unclear let me know, I'm phoneposting on a subway and keep losing my signal so I might have over summed-up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

What about, instead of lying about skills, responsibilities? One bind I find myself in is that everyone who started after me assume's I'm in a higher position than I am, just because I'm diligent and I know my poo poo, I guess? So while I can't list the higher position on my resume, could I just put down my real position and list the higher position's responsibilites and stuff in the description?

If I'm unclear let me know, I'm phoneposting on a subway and keep losing my signal so I might have over summed-up.

No, that's perfectly reasonable.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I say lie when I more mean embellish. I'm not going to say I can be a manager of a 5-star joint. But I am going to embellish how much experience I have to meet the arbitrary thresholds places ask for, because I have already done what I'm signing up for and I know I can do it. I'm not going to waste time starting low on the totem pole and 'proving' myself and gently caress myself over. I'd never try for something that needs obvious expertise and experience without having actually earned it and done it. For example, I HAVE barbacked, but I have not bartended legitimately, so I would never lie and say I have bartend experience. For serving though, I have done that, and I'll gladly lie and say I have 2+ years experience if that's what needs to be said to even get my resume looked at. I'm clean, I always show up on time, I never drop shifts, I learn fast and well, and genuinely enjoy camaraderie and getting along with my coworkers. I have bills to pay and I'll lie through my rear end and my eyes to ensure I have a job that I can earn a living wage off of.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Last night was an Italian wine tasting with like 60 producers, then the after party at Spice Market, then the after after party with the boss buying falafel from Mamoun's. And now for whatever reason, we're off for Lincoln's birthday.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

So, paychecks weren't in this morning. I'm starting to get the fear.

Naw, that's compound exhaustion from prolonged third shift combined with early onset delirium tremens.

The recommended course of action is basically the same, though.

There are only two people I know IRL who approach your level of hosed By Culinary, both of them at my last job. The first one got cut to two days a week but doesn't care because he's selling weed until his probation's up and can leave the state, the other fell off the grid somewhere between Texas and Hawaii travelling back from a job that fell through, current status unknown.

Turkeybone posted:

And now for whatever reason, we're off for Lincoln's birthday.

Dont you talk poo poo about lincoln, dog *rolls up sleeve to reveal a Monty Python foot tattoo squashing the block-print words STATES RIGHTS*

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

Naw, that's compound exhaustion from prolonged third shift combined with early onset delirium tremens.

The recommended course of action is basically the same, though.

There are only two people I know IRL who approach your level of hosed By Culinary, both of them at my last job. The first one got cut to two days a week but doesn't care because he's selling weed until his probation's up and can leave the state, the other fell off the grid somewhere between Texas and Hawaii travelling back from a job that fell through, current status unknown.

It's entirely my fault for being too much a team player and not aggressive enough. Although it'd help if the job market here wasn't poo poo. :p

Going to go in early here in a few, and if pay didn't materialize in the last six hours, just locking up and tossing my keys in through the mail slot.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Tweek posted:

Ask yourself, "Can they in any way confirm what I am about to tell them?"

If not, lie.

I may or may not have just fibbed 4 years of work experience on my resume. Though, the company I "worked" for is run by a good friend of mine and can back up the fallacies. This will get me out of this god forsaken industry (I love the cook, but I'm sick and tired of working these horse poo poo hours for no pay) and back into the IT industry. White-collar here I come!

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

As long as you can actually do what you lied about learning, best of luck.

If you claim abilities you don't have, you're a poor bastard and a jerk.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

If you lie or are thrust into a new position you aren't completely prepared for, getting other people to show you something once without realizing they're actually teaching you how to do it is a good way to catch up. Also just plain faking it. Common sense can cover a lot of situations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh goody. Turns out one of our managers is a perc fiend and dealer who likes to sneak out for a half hour to go do a deal around the corner at an ice cream store.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
This is a serious question. Since Top Chef just ended I was wondering - do you kitchen goons see a bump in employment of people who have always dreamed of being a ~chef~ after/during seasons of that or other chef reality tv shows? I know I wish I could cook a millionth as well as any of them, but also have lurked in this thread long enough to know it's not the lifestyle for me.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No, but I get 20 million people asking if Chef is in and if he will come out and talk to them.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure that's how we ended up with this one kid. He started late summer last year, I think, and started culinary school soon after. He was consistently awful at everything, and didn't retain any criticism/correction. And I heard from another coworker who goes to school with him that he set the kitchen there on fire trying to smoke a rabbit with dry chips. He quit sometime before New Years. I'm pretty sure he's just a rich kid who watched too much Iron Chef/Chopped/whatever; he drove a BMW, and I once saw him wearing this watch that looked like it cost more than my car.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Chef teaches advanced pastry at the local culinary school off and on, so they always send out a gaggle of students to tour each fall. I enjoy their shock when he answers questions about money, and we take bets on which ones will quit first.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Liquid Communism posted:

Chef teaches advanced pastry at the local culinary school off and on, so they always send out a gaggle of students to tour each fall. I enjoy their shock when he answers questions about money, and we take bets on which ones will quit first.

How did getting paid / angrily quitting go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

GigaFool posted:

If you lie or are thrust into a new position you aren't completely prepared for, getting other people to show you something once without realizing they're actually teaching you how to do it is a good way to catch up. Also just plain faking it. Common sense can cover a lot of situations.

And the tried and true "I just want to be sure I do it the way you guys do it here" lie, too.

• Locked thread