Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Some of my internet friends had a baby.

I know the name is the point here but I keep getting stuck on "10lb 9oz", ouch.

Back when I worked in a bank I served a customer by the name of 'Conan Hammerstaff'. I remember jokingly texting my husband on my lunch break that I had to leave him as I had met a guy so manly he couldn't compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ms_hyena
Oct 10, 2012
Dr. Gross. He's a skincare doctor and, in fact, his clinic is Dr. Gross Skincare.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mark Diller Harder

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

That name is amazing, not terrible.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

I know someone named Richard Payne.

No, it never stops being hilarious.

I came to post this one but looks like I was beaten by over a year. The one I know was essentially Dr. Dick Payne - sadly not a urologist.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Macaronic
Dec 31, 2010
At the beginning of February my son's daycare will send out a list with all the kids' names on it, and there are always a few winners. This year there's:

Nonso, Reign, Kenzo, Charis, Declan, TWO Gage's, and the pièce de résistance, Roady.

Roady.

Roady.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

bringmyfishback posted:

I just started teaching in Korea...

[...]

Another teacher I met here has a student named I Die.

Hey, same intake haha (way late, I know).

I'm at a middle school in Korea. I've never brought up English names with my students and just use their Korean names. Some students, however, have told me that they already have English names they've chosen for themselves, such as

Heily (pronounced "highly")
Cinderella
Cutie Girl
Pretty Girl
Miss Korea
Hyuna (this is actually a Korean name, for a big-time celebrity here, but one girl decided that this is her "English" name)
White Princess
Hero
Six-Pack (kid is obsessed with six-packs)
Handsome

I think I have two students with actual English names, but the rest don't know how English names work.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mr. Belpit posted:

Abs or beers?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Mr. Belpit posted:

Want to hang out with this kid.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Another two I came across at work: Kevin Onions and Mercedes Lover.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hummingbirds posted:

Well this was in Florida so if that's where you met/heard of her, I guess it's probably the same person. I hope it was, because it would be really sad for two people to have that unfortunate name.

Nope, there must be two Vicki Hickeys, because I ran across mine in Kansas. I guess she could have moved, though...

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

SnafuAl posted:

Another two I came across at work: Kevin Onions and Mercedes Lover.

Those are the coolest names I have ever heard.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

Abs or beers?

Abs. Every time I run into him outside of class, he pats his belly and hollers "Yeah, six-pack!" or "Do you have six-pack?" I have several students who like shouting ridiculous poo poo at me and have weird fixations like his, but this isn't PYF poo poo ESL Students Say.

For content, in high school I knew a girl named Lotus. She had a brother named Summit and a sister named Emily.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Mr. Belpit posted:

Hey, same intake haha (way late, I know).

I'm at a middle school in Korea. I've never brought up English names with my students and just use their Korean names. Some students, however, have told me that they already have English names they've chosen for themselves, such as

Heily (pronounced "highly")
Cinderella
Cutie Girl
Pretty Girl
Miss Korea
Hyuna (this is actually a Korean name, for a big-time celebrity here, but one girl decided that this is her "English" name)
White Princess
Hero
Handsome

I think I have two students with actual English names, but the rest don't know how English names work.

Yo! How's tricks? Pop in the Korea thread if you haven't already.

Six-Pack is definitely the best I've heard.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
I was reading a local paper's New Babies from 2013 spread that they always do, and there were some interesting ones in there:

Girls named Azailia Chrisylee, Kiyon Nyx, and Dailyn
Twin girls named Arizona and Hali
And a little boy named Bruin

Plus a whole bunch of Liams, Aidens, and various flower names, as you'd expect.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Boob Dylan posted:

And a little boy named Bruin
That's badass.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I had an eye doctor named Dr. Commander, was really disappointed when he didn't bust down the door to the sitting room with a buoy knife in his mouth

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Boob Dylan posted:

I'm less surprised that her name is a state and more surprised that the parents didn't (at least obviously) try to give their twins some sort of matching/go-together names.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Boob Dylan posted:

Plus a whole bunch of Liams, Aidens, and various flower names, as you'd expect.

Liam isn't a flower name, it's the short Irish version of William.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mr. Belpit posted:

Abs. Every time I run into him outside of class, he pats his belly and hollers "Yeah, six-pack!" or "Do you have six-pack?" I have several students who like shouting ridiculous poo poo at me and have weird fixations like his, but this isn't PYF poo poo ESL Students Say.

Oh come on, just a few?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Liam isn't a flower name, it's the short Irish version of William.

Neither is Aiden, hence "and various flower names" not "and other flower names"

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Sometimes I look through the name change announcements in the Gazette to see what people are picking for names. Most are marriages or sex changes, but it's neat to see what names people actually pick for themselves.

Sometimes you find the person that's read Harry Potter a few too many times.

And sometimes you find someone that's sick of it being a 20 minute process to give their name over the phone.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sweeperbravo posted:

Neither is Aiden, hence "and various flower names" not "and other flower names"

Oh, okay. That's makes a whole lot more sense.

MorgaineDax posted:

And sometimes you find someone that's sick of it being a 20 minute process to give their name over the phone.

It's good to know that there's a potential light at the end of that tunnel.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

stubblyhead posted:

Oh come on, just a few?

We have a thread for that now! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597154

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That DICK! posted:

I had an eye doctor named Dr. Commander, was really disappointed when he didn't bust down the door to the sitting room with a buoy knife in his mouth

Bowie, or something floatier?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Mr. Belpit posted:

My life would be complete if I could watch this dude go up to people and ask if they have a six pack then when they say "no" say "You do now!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Local celebrity in New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_of_New_Zealand

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm less surprised that her name is a state and more surprised that the parents didn't (at least obviously) try to give their twins some sort of matching/go-together names.

The funny thing to me is that it's a Canadian newspaper :psyduck: Maybe they were going for a vague "locations in North America" theme after all, and Hali is referencing Halifax? The world may never know!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, this reminds me of the Ditch Witch of Hawaii who appears in Oahu phone directories.

She doesn't mean like the trenching equipment.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Axiem posted:

In the endless stream of pre-Superbowl coverage, they just talked to someone named Picabo Street, pronounced "peek-a-boo". According to her Wikipedia page:

Picabo Street was a top skier for years. Gold medals, the works.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Someone I know gave their child the middlename Melchior.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm assuming it's for the biblical reference rather than Chrono Trigger, but you never know...

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Boob Dylan posted:

I know a girl named Arizona. She goes by Zoey and I get the impression she's embarrassed about her name.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Amoeba102 posted:

Someone I know gave their child the middlename Melchior.

Supposedly one of my earliest ancestors in the States on my dad's side had this name. Came over from Germany in the mid-1700s. He definitely existed, there's just some disagreement on the genealogy once we hit the Civil War era.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that's just the worst name ever!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Say Nothing posted:

Well, that's just the worst name ever!

Sorry, brah: oval office Spunkfuckshitpiss debunked, but at least his actual name is Andreas Wank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'Wank', yeah, right. Who would believe that.