Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Team Captain announced that we might have a sponsor for the rest of this season providing $350/$400

That's always cool. One of the (I guess) former guys on our team lined up a sponsorship to help with the cost of our jerseys. Deal was we'd pay for the jerseys in full (with the sponsor logo on them) then we'd be refunded half of the cost or something like that. Well, we paid in full for the jerseys, got them, and the dude hasn't shown up since.

I mean, really the only thing we got ripped off was free advertising for them, but it still kinda pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The inspiration for Hans in the mighty ducks movies is closing his shop in the culver rink and is just retiring.

Graf skates marked down to $200, a pretty sizable discount. The rest of the gear isn't hugely marked down as that. If you're in so cal it might be worth a call.

Going in there I always wondered if he was the inspiration for that character. Turns out he was.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Thufir posted:

News: my team is coming up on a solid year since we've won a game

Views: goddamn.

Maybe I'm a bad beer leaguer, but I have to say I'd probably be looking for new team. Like, winning isn't everything, but I'm not sure I'd be able to take losing week in and week out like that and not even feeling competitive in the league.

As an aside, I bought an Apx2 stick the other day and I absolutely love it. It's the first time I've payed full price for a stick in a long time, but I've been making decent money lately so i figured I'd reward myself. It's release just feels so much snappier than my Total One (non NXG), and the moving kickpoint is great when you get used to where the stick wants you to put your lower hand for certain shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look Around You posted:

Maybe I'm a bad beer leaguer, but I have to say I'd probably be looking for new team. Like, winning isn't everything, but I'm not sure I'd be able to take losing week in and week out like that and not even feeling competitive in the league.

Note he never said they aren't competitive, just they aren't winning. :v:

I mean it's implied but it's super common to have a close, fun game and still lose.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

xzzy posted:

Note he never said they aren't competitive, just they aren't winning. :v:

I mean it's implied but it's super common to have a close, fun game and still lose.

Oh, yeah, I know, but still, you would figure at some point you'd win a game over the course of the year if you're consistently in close games, either through a shootout or the other goalie letting in a really soft joke of a goal in OT or at the end of the 3rd or whatever.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Oh yeah, we get pounded every game. We've talked about dropping down a league but the rink is closing for repairs in May so we can't do anything until the fall. I'm going to try to find a more reasonable summer team at another rink though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it skill or are the guys just not playing like a team?

I skated with my upcoming team the other night and we'll have a couple strong skaters, but I saw a lot of breakdowns.. forwards standing still on the breakout, everyone dogpiling the slot trying to make a defensive play. Stuff like that is going to make for some really bad games when we get put against teams that have been playing for a while.

You can compensate for a skill gap but bad teamwork is gonna accomplish nothing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Oh it's definitely lack of skill. We play in "Lower B" league. When I started on the team maybe half the team were decent players at that level, there were a couple good players, and the rest were marginal or should have been in a lower league (including me). That group was bad but we still won maybe 30% of our games. In the last year though all of our good players left (or got in arguments with the league director and were banned from the rink) and were replaced by guys from the "Upper C" league, and not particularly good ones even. Basically our rink director sticks free agents wherever without any thought to their ability and all the low-level leagues are full.

Anyway, it's pretty lovely for now but I still have fun playing. The rink is going to be closed all summer and a new rink is opening in town in the fall, so I'm thinking the beer league scene is going to be shaken up a bit so hopefully I'll be able to get on a reasonably competitive team somewhere.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Well there is always room for improvement. I joined the team I am on with a friend of mine after another league we were in folded. The team was coming off a perfect 0-25-0 from the last season before we joined. We joined in the second half of another losing season and helped the team "improve" to 0-23-2. The next year we actually won 2 games and since then we've been sniffing for a 10 win season though it hasn't happened yet. We are still either the 2nd worst or worst team in the league but we actually can play with everybody now. Our first year with them it was routine to lose 10-2 or 12-1 or something along those lines and I don't think we've given up double digits in like 2 years now and more routinely lose by 1 or 2 goals when we lose. We even finished third in our rink's spring tournament a couple years ago.

Its kinda fun to think back at how far we have come since getting on the team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

Oh yeah, we get pounded every game. We've talked about dropping down a league but the rink is closing for repairs in May so we can't do anything until the fall. I'm going to try to find a more reasonable summer team at another rink though.

I'm honestly surprised that the other teams don't make a stink.

We left a league because it wasn't worth putting on the pads for 50% of the games because the other teams would be so non-competitive.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

I'm honestly surprised that the other teams don't make a stink.

We left a league because it wasn't worth putting on the pads for 50% of the games because the other teams would be so non-competitive.

It's a big-ish league and we're by far the worst so they probably love the chance to work on their goal differential 3 times a year. Their goalies probably hate how little work they get though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
The Yeehaw v. xzzy preview happened today.

Safe to say that we were both sucking wind by the time we got to the contact drill we were paired up for. Didn't help that he had just come off a game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Stock-R...=item540475f42c

how

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

The Yeehaw v. xzzy preview happened today.

Safe to say that we were both sucking wind by the time we got to the contact drill we were paired up for. Didn't help that he had just come off a game.

Also I was running on 5 hours of sleep and I did lunges in the gym yesterday.. my legs are garbage right now.

That means I'll be tougher next time, right? :downs:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
goons who just ordered the RSII clearance deal, how's the stick hold up? My APX two piece needs a new blade soon and I almost can't pass up a shot at a high end stick for ~$100 off. Is the RSII similar to the APX?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I call for a stick check. No way that's legal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

goons who just ordered the RSII clearance deal, how's the stick hold up? My APX two piece needs a new blade soon and I almost can't pass up a shot at a high end stick for ~$100 off. Is the RSII similar to the APX?

A two piece is going to be fundamentally different than a one piece in my experience.

Also how would new buyers know how a stick they just got holds up? That being said I used mine today and it was great. I also just got an apx in the same deal and the pattern is different but I really like the rsII. I have no regrets given the sale price.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

lazerwolf posted:

I had a RSII before that broke when I got it jammed into the boards, that said it was a great stick for a very, very long time before it broke. I can't recommend it enough, which is why I ordered 2 more now that they're on sale everywhere.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I got to play with the RS II last night and I had a mixed time with it. I ended up cutting an inch off from where I had my other sticks cut after I realized I had them a little too long. That felt good, stick handling was much improved, and I shoveled a a nice goal top shelf in front of the net. I'm afraid to say I got used to the grip on the last stick and felt like I couldn't get anything on any of my wrist/snap/slap shots. I didn't have that problem with my first non stick RS so I just need to get used to it again. Also I'm going to re-tape the top as I made a change there that I'm not totally happy with. It sucks there is no stick and puck at all this week.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah thats pretty much the same pattern I have on my Warrior. It's hilarious.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Zip! posted:

Yeah thats pretty much the same pattern I have on my Warrior. It's hilarious.

Do you score goals or does everything just go high and wide?

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Had my first D league game yesterday evening. Was a mix of new players, D league regulars and some C leaguers who apparently couldn't find a team for this season. Bit miffed that they allowed some of those guys to play down (one had 4 of his team's 5 goals) but aside from that I had a blast. An hour and a half for drills and a game each Sunday plus stick and pucks is going to do me a world of good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loving bro hug posted:

Had my first D league game yesterday evening. Was a mix of new players, D league regulars and some C leaguers who apparently couldn't find a team for this season. Bit miffed that they allowed some of those guys to play down (one had 4 of his team's 5 goals) but aside from that I had a blast. An hour and a half for drills and a game each Sunday plus stick and pucks is going to do me a world of good.

The league I'm getting into fixes this by limiting the goals that players playing down can get. The ratings are a bit unusual.. a B player is basically anyone who played college or varsity high school, the guys that know how to skate. Everyone else is a C.

C3 teams are allowed to have 3 B players, and between them they can get 4 goals in a game. C2 is 2 B players, and they can have 3 goals, and C1 is 1 B player. If they score too much they can actually get minor penalties for it. The idea is to force them to help set up goals for the scrubs. Or they can just not play down and stick to the B league.

It's kind of a weird rule set but everyone I talk to seems to enjoy the setup.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do you have a min/max spreadsheet that charts how many goals each person can score and who can get the assists? How many boar pelts does it take to level up to C2?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Also I was running on 5 hours of sleep and I did lunges in the gym yesterday.. my legs are garbage right now.

That means I'll be tougher next time, right? :downs:

My whole body is burning right now. I have to cover a lot of stairs at my work and oh god the burn in my quads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do you have a min/max spreadsheet that charts how many goals each person can score and who can get the assists? How many boar pelts does it take to level up to C2?

Teams sign up for whatever level they want, mister snark. :colbert:

Assists aren't tracked, they limit scoring on the high quality players because it's supposed to be a low level recreational league but they wanted to leave room for friends to play together or get a taste of the higher skill levels if they want.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was just joking. It's a good rule, but seems kind of a pain in the rear end to track during the games. We got single-handedly beaten by a ringer last night. He had a hatty and assisted on the only other goal. We lost 4-2.

Our hockey director came up with a list of ringers who are getting bumped up after this season finally. He's on the list.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is a lot of work but that's on the score keeper, not the players. :v:

They've run the league this way for a long time and in the two years I've been skating at this rink I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it. The guy that runs the league claims he keeps the score sheet for every single game ever played, mostly for tracking suspensions.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Nice man keep at it. If you eventually feel comfortable enough maybe come suit up for the Saturday night pickup. There has been a few very new guys playing too. As for the C guys in your league someone mentioned that to me after I got screwed on the fall league, but I couldn't see how playing down in D would be enjoyable for me.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
My Sunday night clinic/game ( 1 hour each) is getting a bit congested, we had 17 people on each side last night. Combine that with Mr 7 minute shift and you get pretty cold sitting on the bench. Heckling your own players passes the time (' how about a liiiiine chaaaaange' ) but doesn't solve the problem.

Hopefully they start capping the number of attendees soon. Its too close to my house not to go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If it's a clinic why isn't there a coach out there yelling at people who do this?

If it's not an official league game I don't understand why they wouldn't just have the horn sound every 2 minutes to signal a line change

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My clinic has a coach who likes to be vocal.

We also do 1 minute mini games. Every minute the buzzer rings and the whole line changes

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You had 34 skaters?! I would honestly just leave. 24 is the absolute max for a decent drop-in. Any more than that and you're basically just paying to watch other people skate up close.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

sellouts posted:

If it's a clinic why isn't there a coach out there yelling at people who do this?

If it's not an official league game I don't understand why they wouldn't just have the horn sound every 2 minutes to signal a line change

Chewing tobacco stuck in the whistle?
Rumor is the cap on skaters is coming. This program stated out last year and we would be lucky to get 6 skaters. Is really taking off and football ending is only going to bump the numbers. Its either that or the 2 minute whistles start. They will have to do something soon.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

You had 34 skaters?! I would honestly just leave. 24 is the absolute max for a decent drop-in. Any more than that and you're basically just paying to watch other people skate up close.

Sometimes you have to take the ice you can get. There hasn't been a single drop in at a time I can go to since early December, I'd probably take a 34 skater session at this point :(

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Acquired a pair of T-Blade T-33s from my cousin this weekend for the great price of nothing...went to a regular old public on Sunday to try them out and had a blast. Still don't understand much other than going forwards and turning left with a cross over, but it is a start. Signed my girlfriend and I up for a learn to skate for Valentines Day that starts on the 19th. Super excited and I'm pretty sure the rink wraps the Basics of Hockey into that class. Promises to be an adventure :getin:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Thufir posted:

Sometimes you have to take the ice you can get. There hasn't been a single drop in at a time I can go to since early December, I'd probably take a 34 skater session at this point :(

This is surprising that they would even allow this. They cap drop-ins at 30 skaters at the places I skate at, minus goalies of course.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I play a Sunday night pickup that tells guys to go pound sand if we get over 20. If there are more than 2 lines for each side of the ice it really is as you described it, paying to watch people skate up close. And there are always those guys that take 10 minute shifts that are coming back into the defensive zone slumped over, sucking air, behind the play and still stay out there for another 5 minutes.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

EvilTwig posted:

My Sunday night clinic/game ( 1 hour each) is getting a bit congested, we had 17 people on each side last night. Combine that with Mr 7 minute shift and you get pretty cold sitting on the bench. Heckling your own players passes the time (' how about a liiiiine chaaaaange' ) but doesn't solve the problem.

Hopefully they start capping the number of attendees soon. Its too close to my house not to go.

That's a bummer...I was thinking about coming back to this now that football is over. Is the clinic as congested as the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

People really don't play hockey because football is on?