Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Skimming through it, I guess I'll wait until part 9. Don't want to break up the Chono scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Arm wrestling part was hysterical, really didnt expect ET to make a return to screw yamazaki over :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What a cruel place to end that episode.

The wait for part 9 is going to be hell, even if it's out tomorrow or the day after.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Even though I've complained about the formula being overly predictable, one thing I absolutely love is the look on Yamasaki's face once he realizes it's Chono time and all he's trying to do is figure out how/what they're going to blame him for something.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Also I loved the look of dawning realisation on everyone's faces as they put together how Yamasaki was going to be blamed this time

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've gotten kind of sick of them doing that joke every year but the way they set it up this year was just amazing. The Hospital version of it was always my favourite but I think this year topped it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love the creative ways Yamasaki tries to get out of it every year. It's not the slap, it's a chance for him to just improvise as much as he can to make the other guys laugh.

I think my favourite was from airport where he was trying to say his name in different ways so he wouldn't take the blame.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

I love the creative ways Yamasaki tries to get out of it every year. It's not the slap, it's a chance for him to just improvise as much as he can to make the other guys laugh.

I think my favourite was from airport where he was trying to say his name in different ways so he wouldn't take the blame.

Yamazaki Jose.

He definitely just gives in this year. The look on his face was incredible. It was pretty much "Welp let's get this over with." Just void of all emotion.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's the first time he's been double slapped, that's what killed him on that one. They double slapped a few years ago(Hotel, I think) but they lured Yamasaki into a false sense of security because Tanaka was the recipient of the slap and so when Chono came out again it was way worse. This time Yamasaki thought he got his out of the way early.

As much as these things have patterns the writers/staff are really good at using those patterns to trick the guys into falling for something even worse. I'd almost bet you money next year the DVDs in Tanaka's desk will get someone else kicked only to have another DVD later that eventually gets him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crotch Bat posted:

I'd almost bet you money next year the DVDs in Tanaka's desk will get someone else kicked only to have another DVD later that eventually gets him.

Tanaka gets away with the DVD, Chono comes out and slaps Yamasaki and on his way out, he just says "oh yeah, Tanaka, thai kick." :allears:

They can't possibly top this years Thai Kick DVD though, so maybe it really is time to give that one a rest.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
You gotta give it to the staff for relying on the group to make the best of things. They leave a lot of stuff up to chance each year, particularly with the drawers. They bank on certain things happening in order and if not they have to hope that the guys can still make it funny.

Like this year, Yamasaki wasn't meant to eat the rice cake, it was for the alien but because he opened it after the alien left Elite Salt became even more hilarious. You'd also have to assume they gave Endo two rice cakes in the hopes he'd share one with another member(my best guess if they didn't do a game for it would be Hamada, being the closest and also his senior). But Endo inhales both and Yamasaki enjoys his and the bit is even more hilarious and that still only works because they watched the Elite Salt DVD last.

I mean, the show is scripted improv so they could just as easily stop them and make them do it a certain way but it's very obvious the staff tries to be as hands-off as they can be and the show is still absolutely hilarious in every way and the goofs are often some of the funniest parts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, like if they thought "gently caress it, let's not do this scavenger hunt" which resulted in finding the Alien, the staff would definitely have told them to do it so that Chono still has his set up.

If they said "watch the DVD last" the 5 would be suspicious of it and it would lose its impact. They're excellent at what they do.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Crotch Bat posted:

As much as these things have patterns the writers/staff are really good at using those patterns to trick the guys into falling for something even worse. I'd almost bet you money next year the DVDs in Tanaka's desk will get someone else kicked only to have another DVD later that eventually gets him.

This time, when Tanaka opened his second desk's drawers I was expecting a DVD with another letter segment, but this time from Matsumoto's daughter or Hamada's kids... and then at the end it would have another 'P.S. Tanaka Thai Kick.'

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
I like that they're still so cautious when they open the drawers, even though there hasn't been a spring-loaded drawer or CO2 spray in them for years. Well, as far as I remember anyway.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There was a lot of CO2 spray this year though, even without the drawers. Five, if my count is right.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Planet Piss posted:

I like that they're still so cautious when they open the drawers, even though there hasn't been a spring-loaded drawer or CO2 spray in them for years. Well, as far as I remember anyway.

I'd just give a firm kick to the side of the desk. That should probably do it, right?

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Asiina posted:

There was a lot of CO2 spray this year though, even without the drawers. Five, if my count is right.

The C02 spray is basically a punchline at this point, it's wonderful.

Grawl posted:

I'd just give a firm kick to the side of the desk. That should probably do it, right?

Also, doing that would probably get a good laugh out of the other guys, so one of them should try it for sure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crotch Bat posted:

Yeah, part of the excessive formulaic nature of the Batsus is because the participatants of the game are members of the audience too, just stuck in the middle of it. So you've got to make them laugh, and they're all professional comedians. This is why there's such a heavy emphasis on anti-comedy, such as casting horrible actors like Shin Onii or thrusting celebrities into unsuitable roles like the dude with the super gravelly voice or pulling Egashira 2:50 to do something horrible.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Gaki-related tokusatsu spoilers:

I just want to point out that Itao appears to be the villain in the new Super Hero Taisen film (http://henshinjustice.com/2014/02/03/showa-vs-heisei-antagonist-revealed-preview-of-kamen-rider-fifteen/), which is awesome and will make me watch even though it'll be bad just like the others.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah, part of the excessive formulaic nature of the Batsus is because the participatants of the game are members of the audience too, just stuck in the middle of it. So you've got to make them laugh, and they're all professional comedians. This is why there's such a heavy emphasis on anti-comedy, such as casting horrible actors like Shin Onii or thrusting celebrities into unsuitable roles like the dude with the super gravelly voice or pulling Egashira 2:50 to do something horrible.

Actually, where the hell is Shin Onii this time?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Going back over the old games before they all started participating I started to wonder: the participating members always alternated, right? One member of Downtown and one member of Cocorico always got out of it. Were all the roulette games fake, then?

Nicke
Mar 10, 2004
Poor Yamazaki was in every of the larger batsu games.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KittenofDoom posted:

Going back over the old games before they all started participating I started to wonder: the participating members always alternated, right? One member of Downtown and one member of Cocorico always got out of it. Were all the roulette games fake, then?

Of course not. When they started the no-laughing series it featured a variety of rotations, the only provision they've ever had was it had to include a member of Downtown. The other 3 simply get caught in the crossfire and lose due to overwhelming odds. For example, No Laughing High School featured a roulette game before(the electricity one) and Endo, Tanaka, and Yamasaki were all out before Matsumoto got his shock.

After that came Police and then I think the staff realized they could create an even better special by just getting everyone there and so it turned into what we know today.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The pattern was pretty consistent, I mean. When it was Hamada and Matsumoto making bets in public, it was easy to keep it honest.

Excluding the High School game, Yugawara Hot Springs Batsu up until the Hospital Batsus always alternated between Hamada or Matsumoto and one of the Cocorico people sitting out. The roulette games would be easy to rig, and the cast may just be going along with it to make it seem accidental.

Poor Yamasaki indeed.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I did always enjoy the roulettes though, like literally plugging in your own pain (shock pads attached to your body) if it was the wrong cord, and wasabi hidden in food samples. If there is a stream repository of those somewhere I'd love to see them all.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KittenofDoom posted:

The pattern was pretty consistent, I mean. When it was Hamada and Matsumoto making bets in public, it was easy to keep it honest.

Excluding the High School game, Yugawara Hot Springs Batsu up until the Hospital Batsus always alternated between Hamada or Matsumoto and one of the Cocorico people sitting out. The roulette games would be easy to rig, and the cast may just be going along with it to make it seem accidental.

Poor Yamasaki indeed.

You're making up a pattern just to say it's there, though. You can't just throw away High School because it doesn't fit in.

Who's to say but considering the random attitude they've taken towards things across the show's history it'd be odd to see them start scripting who's in and out.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 11, 2014

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Does it really matter either way though? If you start thinking about the details and everything too much all you're doing in the end is detracting from your own enjoyment. Along with all the roulettes, there's a number of things in the different Batsu games that could potentially be fake as hell too. There's always the question of "Is the water REALLY as hot as they're pretending it is?" just to name one example. Or how everyone is always scared of even the tiniest noises or things happening but as soon as Heipo comes running, they're all suddenly perfectly fine and content kicking his rear end just to go back to being super scaredy cats afterwards.

There's a million different little things like that but once you start overanalyzing everything you'll just end up not enjoying the Batsu games as much. And nobody wants that!

On a slightly different note, they're sure taking their time for the last two parts. Not that I'm mad or anything, I was just really hoping to spend my weekend watching the rest of the Batsu and still nothing :(

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
They're also working on the cut material, thank gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Their Facebook mentioned that Part 9 will be the 23rd at earliest, by their estimation.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Told ya, real life can catch up quick.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

That's a little sad, though understandable. They had such a good start and there's "only" two more parts but, as you say, real life can catch up quickly and they're basically doing it for free so another week or two won't matter in the long run.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Well, I guess it stands to reason not everything goes perfect in a batsu game and they have to re-shoot things. Here's a rare example of it being spotted, though. Check out all the wet spots around Himura before the balloon bursts. Hard to say but you'd almost think given the size of the wet spots maybe the first balloon they tried was far too big.

Also of note is where Hamada himself says they had to re-shoot the ending to his Vladivostock batsu because the gang leader's Japanese was so bad(this led to Hamada being slapped over and over).

I'm guessing 95% of this stuff is one shot and fine as is or gets cut but I guess some of the stunts they do can go wrong and need to be done again if they feel it needs to be in the show.

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero
seriously if i have to wait any longer for the next part i will stuff myself into a drier while holding a bowl of hot ramen

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Make sure to set up a camera first.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They just uploaded parts 9 and 10:

http://www.teamgaki.com/batsu-2014-no-laughing-defense-force-part-9-2/
http://www.teamgaki.com/batsu-2014-no-laughing-defense-force-part-10/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Best Saturday of all time.

e: Was there no tally of most punishments or did I miss it somehow?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 22, 2014

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Aurain posted:

Best Saturday of all time.

e: Was there no tally of most punishments or did I miss it somehow?

Right after they crossed the line on their way out. Top recipient: Matsumoto @ 299

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Every batsu has a lot of little laughs for me and a few big ones. Heipo and Jimmy Ohnishi was definitely the latter. Part of the fun at that point is seeing Hamada restrain himself since he loves it so much.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Man I never thought I'd see "hench" in a fansub.

Also Tanaka is still a goat.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Best birthday present ever.