Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The best fight that never happened:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I loved the entire fight between Goku and Kid Buu. It was beautifully animated and really showcased the idea of two god-like beings going at each other.

That was a big reason why I was so disappointed with Goku versus Bills. The fight with Kid Buu really showcased what happens when two beings capable of bench-pressing planets fight, but Goku versus Bills was really toned down in comparison.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 8, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Best battle? Goku vs. Heart Disease.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Tae posted:

The best fight has to be Goku vs. Krillin.

This one's mine. There's a solid moment where there's no bells and whistles to their fight. They just brawl, and it feels good in a series that gets so ponderous about individual attacks. And the hits feel pretty good too, Krillin manages to legitimately out fight Goku before the lynchpin of his plan doesn't work. It's pretty good.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

I think that's what does it for me, in regards to Goku vs Cell. The moment Goku gets serious after the warm ups, and Trunks catches the tone of the battle immediately shifting, it's awesome. At this point, Cell knows that power wise, Goku couldn't beat him, but skill wise he is right up there. So he was enjoying the hell out of the fight.

Goku vs. Cell is among the best.

edit: awesome kick

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 8, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

Best battle? Goku vs. Heart Disease.

i cry erry tiem ;_;

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Goku vs Majin Vegeta has always been my favorite. It's always stuck out as one I remember from originally watching DBZ on Toonami as a small child. Despite how much I dislike the Buu saga, it had some neat fights...until most of the others ended in "Buu absorbs them".

This fight is great because it had the most buildup and was pretty much a good back and forth between two fighters of equal strength and skill. By far my favorite fight in the buu saga. Even if it is shown to be ultimately pointless.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Most of mine have already been mentioned, but I'm gonna also throw in Goten vs Trunks from the very start of the Buu saga. It's just oddly fun to watch, and the way even the crowd got into it made it feel a lot better than it would've done otherwise if they decrying it mostly as "trickery" and "smoke and mirrors" the entire time.

Really, Tenkaichi Budokai fights always rock because they don't have major stakes but you still have people giving it their all in amazing ways.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Actually, a neat one of those was (Future) Trunks vs Tien in the Bojack movie.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Monaghan posted:

This fight is great because it had the most buildup and was pretty much a good back and forth between two fighters of equal strength and skill. By far my favorite fight in the buu saga. Even if it is shown to be ultimately pointless.

Combat between equal fighters are fun to watch. Too many fights in anime are just throwing themselves at an enemy and then gasping in shock when they don't flinch.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Another one I enjoy is alternate Timeline Gohan vs the Androids. Even with one arm, he makes it interesting for a bit. And the resulting ssj transformation of Trunks was one of the more emotional moments of the series. Especially for just an animated special.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Vintimus Prime posted:

Another one I enjoy is alternate Timeline Gohan vs the Androids. Even with one arm, he makes it interesting for a bit. And the resulting ssj transformation of Trunks was one of the more emotional moments of the series. Especially for just an animated special.

The episode where Trunks goes back to his future and kills the androids (and cell) is so.. satisfying.
And not because it's an awesome fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug4MfzcC-jo
He really doesn't mess around. "This is for Gohan!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember liking Goku vs Ninja Murasaki, Goku vs Mercenary Tao and Goku vs King Piccolo from DB, and Raditz vs Goku and Piccolo, Nappa vs everyone and Goku vs Vegeta from DBZ.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Any moment where Gohan flips the hell out during a fight rules. I wish they made him a bit more useful before the Cell Games though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Any moment where Gohan flips the hell out during a fight rules.

GOHAN STRONGEST THERE IS is a pretty great moment in every fight. The best one was when he just bitch slapped Frieza (TWICE!)

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I was kind of fond of Goku vs. Pikkon. Probably when I got into DBZ and pretty fun to watch. I also liked Super Buu vs Vegito. Just something about the complete control Vegito had of the situation.

Also just got to the part in the Frieza saga when the Ocean dub went to the Funimation dub and totally forgot Funi didn't do jack poo poo to Schemmel's Goku voice to make it not sound terrible as compared to the episodes before where he sounded fine. They changed Vegeta's and Krillin's but Goku is so loving lifeless and monotone ugh.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Really, Tenkaichi Budokai fights always rock because they don't have major stakes but you still have people giving it their all in amazing ways.

Some people disagree with me about this - namely the pro-Z people who say DB wasn't better - but I think one of the best things about the World Martial Arts Tournaments was it gave everyone a chance to shine. Yamcha had his best fight in the series there with Tien at the 22nd and he even had a cool showing against Kami in the 2rd. Krillin never stood a chance against Goku in the 22nd Tournament but he still looked great.

In reality, every non-Goku person was just as useless in Z as they were in DB but the tournaments gave them opportunities to showcase their abilities. Whereas in Z we were constantly bombarded with how worthless they all are.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If I had to pick a fight, it would be Goku v.s. Piccolo. Granted I watched DB as a kid but I never got far to the when Goku grows up and fights Piccolo. It's kinda why in DBZ I was like whose this green yoshi alien that showed up.
Mostly because of how ruthless Piccolo was back then. Especially the fact that he had the ability to grow bigger and still be roughly as fast. I really enjoyed how Lord Slug Movie Abridged basically poked fun that this was a rehash Piccolo fight.
2nd best is probably Goku v.s. Cell. Even though Goku is outmatch, he still puts up a fight and Cell is enjoying it. Hell Goku goes for goddamn kill and still isn't enough.
Though he was a bit of a batshit crazy guy for giving Cell a senzu bean.
I really can't wait how Abridge handles it. It's going to be great seeing Piccolo rip Goku a new one.
Gohan's fights were ok, it just sucks that how he literally became the strongest in the universe and doesn't do crap.
Especially when he came back to fight Buu. I like and hate that one. One because Gohan was completely destroying Buu like he was nothing. The second was Buu outsmarting Gohan and absorbing him.
I guess you can say the only bad thing is all that offscreen training only for Gohan to be taken out.
That left a bad taste.

Ah yes the Gohan v.s. Goku gif. Too bad that was a fake Gohan made by Buu inside Buu.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I played the Battle of Z demo a week or so ago, and I thought it was pretty good, so I contemplated buying it, so I looked it up on XBox Live. £45? Hahahahahahaha.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BMB5150 posted:

I also liked Super Buu vs Vegito.

Super Buu vs. Candy Vegito :smug:

That was the best example of a power level difference in the entire series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Prison Warden posted:

I played the Battle of Z demo a week or so ago, and I thought it was pretty good, so I contemplated buying it, so I looked it up on XBox Live. £45? Hahahahahahaha.

I'm phone posting so I can't run a currency conversion right now, but that sounds about right for a new release on the 360. Are new games normally cheaper in £?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

jivjov posted:

I'm phone posting so I can't run a currency conversion right now, but that sounds about right for a new release on the 360. Are new games normally cheaper in £?
Yeah but it'll end up in the bargain bin within two months like most games based on existing franchises.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

jivjov posted:

£45 is about $74 US. It's on the upper end for new titles. For reference, most places were charging less than £40 for Skyrim on release.

But yeah, what soulcleaver said, I don't see how they can expect anyone to pay that. The game is already going for £10 less on amazon.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Anime based games always cost a fuckton here, and there's usually only ever 2 or 3 copies ordered in. I guess retailers just expect fans of the franchise are the only ones who'll buy them and if that's the case, they're likely to pay whatever. Dynasty Warriors games are the same.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I liked when SSJ Trunks fought Perfect Cell, sure he was physically stronger but it didn't matter if he couldn't hit Cell. Why Trunks and Vegeta didn't go back and train before the cell games for a rematch beats me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SirDrone posted:

I liked when SSJ Trunks fought Perfect Cell, sure he was physically stronger but it didn't matter if he couldn't hit Cell. Why Trunks and Vegeta didn't go back and train before the cell games for a rematch beats me.

They did go back into the time chamber individually during the 10 days, but I think they both knew it wasn't enough and they'd need a game changer.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

carry on then posted:

They did go back into the time chamber individually during the 10 days, but I think they both knew it wasn't enough and they'd need a game changer.

The time chamber is one of those things that, if it weren't a dumb fighty fight shonen manga, would be a really interesting thing to explore and the mindfuck it would have on the people who enter it. A year is a really long time to spend in a giant empty room by yourself or one other person. Like cabin fever or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe they get wi-fi in there. Wouldn't be so bad if they did. Hell, wouldn't even be that different for some people.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Szmitten posted:

The time chamber is one of those things that, if it weren't a dumb fighty fight shonen manga, would be a really interesting thing to explore and the mindfuck it would have on the people who enter it. A year is a really long time to spend in a giant empty room by yourself or one other person. Like cabin fever or something.

Piccolo trapping Buu in there was actually a really clever idea .

So clever, in fact, that Toriyama realized he'd written himself into a corner and had to Voice Ex Machina a solution.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Szmitten posted:

Piccolo could just download a bunch of aps before entering.

Speaking of that, I'm trying to remember. When did Nail actually stop surfacing in the series? (I know the TFS guys are going to have him stick around at least long enough for him and Kami to double team Piccolo.)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Speaking of that, I'm trying to remember. When did Nail actually stop surfacing in the series? (I know the TFS guys are going to have him stick around at least long enough for him and Kami to double team Piccolo.)

It's been forever ago since I watched DBZ, but I think Nail stopped being a deal the second he was absorbed by Piccolo, at least in the German dub. Same with Kami during the Android saga, they're just there to give Piccolo a power boost to stay competitive with Super Saiyans.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Speaking of that, I'm trying to remember. When did Nail actually stop surfacing in the series?

I don't think he was mentioned at all after the frieza saga.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

He never surfaced in the first place, and neither did Kami. Naturally for Abridged that means that once he absorbs Kami it's gonna be a three way.

EDIT: Conversation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Namtab posted:

I don't think he was mentioned at all after the frieza saga.

Dende still calls Piccolo Nail, and Piccolo doesn't seem to give a poo poo. That's all the mention he ever gets, though, similar to how Popo still calls him Kami.

Though I guess he doesn't even call himself Piccolo at that point. He's worse than Prince, honestly.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kamicollo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tsob posted:

Maybe they get wi-fi in there. Wouldn't be so bad if they did. Hell, wouldn't even be that different for some people.

Well the slow down factor means you'd be better off with dialup in the real world :v:

Also they definitely should have dealt more with the whole "being a year older" especially with Gohan, who spent 10% of his life up to that point in some white void.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Namtab posted:

Kamicollo

Kamicollail

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Namtab posted:

Kamicollo

Picolami. Nail wasn't mentioned after Dende was killed by Frieza I think. That or he makes a brief cameo back on Earth when Guru dies but Kami is gone except when getting drained by Cell. I hope Piccolo just loving snaps in TFS with Kami and Nail loving around in his head. That's going be great in 2 - 3 episodes from now.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
This may have been only in the original funimation dub, but Nail made a brief appearance after Dende remade the Dragon Balls where he went "Good job Dende"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8rTgO9h80 You can hear Nail and Piccolo both speaking at 3:30 in this video (couldn't figure out how to link to that time).

So, is anyone else purchasing DBZ on blu-ray? I tempted by the price of volumes 2 and 3 only being $17 on Amazon, but there's apparently a problem with Amazon's Volume 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Why would you buy Z instead of Kai or the manga? Even if Kai's disks are more expensive, you're basically getting more anyway with the filler cut out. And Freeza not sounding like an old woman.

• Locked thread