Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

TheKennedys posted:

Thanks for all the answers. :D Turns out her daughter's CT/xray/scans all came back clean, so she's not injured in any meaningful way outside of a general 2-year-old freakout, thankfully. I gave her the NHTSA info and poked her again about finding a free consult with a lawyer to find out if there's anything she ought to do in regards to the seat defect itself. The shelter she's staying at is actually replacing the car seat for free, because they're awesome like that, but I absolutely agree that it's something that the manufacturer should probably know about. :)

Why doesn't she just contact the car seat people herself and see what they say? I don't understand why going to a lawyer is her first step. I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't at minimum replace the car seat and pay to have her ship them the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Queen Elizatits posted:

Why doesn't she just contact the car seat people herself and see what they say? I don't understand why going to a lawyer is her first step. I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't at minimum replace the car seat and pay to have her ship them the old one.

Fair enough. She didn't think it'd do any good since it's being replaced by the shelter. I have the pregnant-brain, I've only got about two coherent thoughts to spare per day. >.>

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I received a letter (via certified mail) from a police department in a city I haven't been through in decades.

The text of the letter:

"This letter is in response to a leaving the scene case reported to the <city> Police Department on August 30, 2013. I am the officer assigned to investigate the case. A vehicle bearing the following license plate, Texas <my plate>, described as a gray Saturn 4 door was involved in this leaving the scene accident here in <city>. The registration return on the license plate shows your address and your name as the registered owner of this vehicle. Please contact this department and help us with this investigation if you can. If the vehicle is no longer yours, even that information would be helpful to us."

The plate is indeed the same as the one on my car, and I do drive a gray Saturn, though it's a "quad coupe" (coupe body style, 4 doors, but the back doors are suicide doors with no outside handles, and the front doors are the long style that you see on a typical 2 door car - the average person takes one look at it and says "oh, that's a 2 door").

It's on what appears to be the correct letterhead; the phone # listed to call them at shows up on the police department's website as being the desk phone for the person who signed the letter; it was sent certified, so I'm pretty drat sure it was actually sent by them.

So what now? I was over 300 miles away when this happened, and I haven't been within 100 miles of this city since 2000 (haven't actually been to that city since about 1985). I've been trying to call them nonstop since I got the letter last week, but haven't been able to reach the officer assigned to the case. I've left a couple of voicemails asking him to contact me, I've also emailed him twice, using the email listed for him on the police department web site. My car has had an active OnStar subscription since I bought it, so if worse comes to worse, I assume they can subpoena the location records, right?

Would I be correct in assuming they had a partial plate and a "gray 4 door" description, and just sent letters to anyone who matched? Seeing as it costs a decent bit to mail a certified letter, I would hope they wouldn't waste money sending a certified letter to anyone and everyone who owns a car matching such a generic description.

e: should be obvious, but this has me incredibly stressed out. especially since "leaving the scene" charges carry a pretty ugly penalty in Texas if the damage is >$200.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 5, 2014

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Something similar happened to my dad once. He got a call from the police in a city a couple hundred miles away saying his car had been involved in a hit and run there. He denied it (he hadn't been there in years), the cop asked if he'd be willing to drive his car there so he could take a look at it, my dad said no, and that was the end of the story. Probably someone got the license plate number wrong by one number.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sinding Johansson posted:

I live in Ontario in a condo with two other people with a lease that has all three of our names on it. I don't get along with my roommate but he wants to renew the lease. My landlord is sympathetic but says that if he wants to stay then there is nothing that can be done. Is this true?
IANAL, but you should always read your lease. Read your lease.

That being said, I cannot imagine a lease that forces you to stay against your will.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, but you should always read your lease. Read your lease.

That being said, I cannot imagine a lease that forces you to stay against your will.

No that's actually pretty standard. I mean the guy can't be forced to live there but depending on how the lease is worded the other roommate can renew it and the landlord isn't obligated to remove the other two people.

You are right of course, Sinding needs to read what his lease says about renewing it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If you want to leave, I would be astonished if you can't refuse to renew the lease. If you want to stay but want to kick the other person out, that'll depend on the lease terms. Generally, though, the landlord could refuse to renew the lease for all three of you, then relet to the two of you that want to stay. That requires getting the landlord to cooperate, and it sounds like the landlord doesn't really care.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Arcturas posted:

That requires getting the landlord to cooperate, and it sounds like the landlord doesn't really care.

That pretty much sums it up. There is certainly something the landlord can do, but doesn't feel like getting involved. I don't blame him. From his perspective, one of you is leaving and you're the one with the problem.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Arcturas posted:

If you want to leave, I would be astonished if you can't refuse to renew the lease. If you want to stay but want to kick the other person out, that'll depend on the lease terms. Generally, though, the landlord could refuse to renew the lease for all three of you, then relet to the two of you that want to stay. That requires getting the landlord to cooperate, and it sounds like the landlord doesn't really care.

In Ontario, the landlord actually can't refuse to renew the lease without a reason that is listed in the Act. It's super super difficult for the landlord to get rid of a tenant.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I guess you need to clarify your question; are you saying that you want to stay, and so does your roommate, but you can't kick him out?

Or are you saying that you want to move out but your roommate wants to stay, and you can't not renew the lease with him?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 5, 2018

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

In Ontario, the landlord actually can't refuse to renew the lease without a reason that is listed in the Act. It's super super difficult for the landlord to get rid of a tenant.

Huh, Ontario's weird.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sinding Johansson posted:

To clarify, I want to renew and my for my roommate to leave. The landlord tells me that the law in Ontario is that he has to give my roommate the option of renewing.

You don't need to renew, your lease is automagically converted to a month-to-month tenancy at the end of the year.

You can probably give 60 days notice for the entirety of the lease then sign a new lease with your new roommate, but that's a big pain for the landlord and he doesn't give a poo poo.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I paid my rent a day late but didn't include their 75 dollar late fee and was immediately served with a 3-day "provide covenant or quit" notice.

I've been rethinking about whether or not to live here for the full duration of my lease -- what would be involved in taking them up on the quit option and vacating the premises? Other than being a bad rental reference, if I tell them to go ahead and terminate the lease what sort of risk might I be facing?

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Has anyone gone through the trouble of taking someone to small claims court? I am in Virginia and the person who sublet my apartment left with like 6 months left on the lease and I might be looking at 2-3k of rent owed to the rental company.

I had them sign a sublet agreement/application all through the company but for some reason they thought they could just leave and make me pay the rent throughout the remainder of the lease. I'm just wondering if there are any goons with good tips to share.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowHawk posted:

I paid my rent a day late but didn't include their 75 dollar late fee and was immediately served with a 3-day "provide covenant or quit" notice.

I've been rethinking about whether or not to live here for the full duration of my lease -- what would be involved in taking them up on the quit option and vacating the premises? Other than being a bad rental reference, if I tell them to go ahead and terminate the lease what sort of risk might I be facing?

What does your lease say about it? Where are you located?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

baquerd posted:

What does your lease say about it? Where are you located?
California, and it's a year long lease.

I'm actually still looking for my lease document but there is boilerplate language about the amount of the late fee being defined.

I guess my specific question is if the quit notice can be interpreted as my landlord offering to terminate the tenancy or if I'd still be liable for the entire duration.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm actually still looking for my lease document but there is boilerplate language about the amount of the late fee being defined.

I guess my specific question is if the quit notice can be interpreted as my landlord offering to terminate the tenancy or if I'd still be liable for the entire duration.

Find your lease.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
"Typically" a lease doesn't just let you off the hook for the cost of a late fee. More typical is either 1-2 months to buy out, or sometimes you're just on the hook for the entire amount until the landlord finds a new renter (he is not obligated to show your unit first, he can rent out others preferentially). At least in my jurisdiction.

But your lease is all that matters.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The other thing, though, is that if your landlord is hitting you with a 3-day notice to pay or quit after your rent is a single day late, there's something else going on there. Either they're huge sticklers and jerks, or they want you out anyways. Give them a call and see if they'll let you out of the lease.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Arcturas posted:

The other thing, though, is that if your landlord is hitting you with a 3-day notice to pay or quit after your rent is a single day late, there's something else going on there. Either they're huge sticklers and jerks, or they want you out anyways. Give them a call and see if they'll let you out of the lease.

Going full nuclear is the MO of large, lovely management companies. In college I had one late payment (1 day after their grace period) in three years due to USPS being off for a holiday. I had a letter under my door, a letter in my mail, a cerified letter in the mail, and a certified letter sent to my parents, the cosigners. It was a joy renting from them.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I've been in a similar situation. The "fun" part is that the lease will often say the tenant is responsible for the landlord's costs and attorney's fees, so you owe the late fee plus $300 (plus postage!) for some schmuck to take five minutes to change the address on a form letter and have his assistant send certified copies.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Arcturas posted:

I believe it is a requirement of the eviction process. Any credible large scale operation will send these out like they are nothing.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

A notice to perform covenant or quit means you have a curable breach of the lease. If you cure the breach, i.e., pay the late fee, within the three-day window of receiving the notice, then nothing happens. If you don't, then your landlord can begin an unlawful detainer action and have you legally evicted.

Keep in mind that there are statutory requirements the notice must meet in order to be valid. Also be aware that being evicted isn't a get out of your lease free card: your landlord can sue for rent, court costs, possibly attorney fees (find your lease agreement!), and possibly statutory penalties as well. Evictions don't look good on your rental history.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

ibntumart posted:

A notice to perform covenant or quit means you have a curable breach of the lease. If you cure the breach, i.e., pay the late fee, within the three-day window of receiving the notice, then nothing happens. If you don't, then your landlord can begin an unlawful detainer action and have you legally evicted.

Keep in mind that there are statutory requirements the notice must meet in order to be valid. Also be aware that being evicted isn't a get out of your lease free card: your landlord can sue for rent, court costs, possibly attorney fees (find your lease agreement!), and possibly statutory penalties as well. Evictions don't look good on your rental history.

I've rented to people with distant-past felonies and ridiculously bad credit reports, but I absolutely will not rent to someone with an eviction on their record. I'd pay up.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ibntumart posted:

What if I move out (quit) as requested before the unlawful detainer is even filed? Surely you can't evict someone who doesn't possess the premises.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Your lease will spell it out in more detail, but that's generally still counted as an eviction when someone calls to check on your rental history. They asked you to leave due to unpaid rent, you left. It's legally your living space until they get a court order to evict, unless both parties agree to anything else, in writing.

The slightly less worse option is they send you to collections for whatever they think you owed - this happened to me for different reasons (slumlord that raked every tenant over the coals for random reasons after move out; in my case, it was because the electricity was still on when I turned in the keys... there's not enough :wtc: in the world for that) and still shows up on my credit as money owed to a property. Haven't been able to rent from anything more than mom and pop since then, aside from the apartment I'd already lined up before they pulled that poo poo; thankfully it drops off my credit in a couple more months (7 years).

You really should talk to the property manager ASAP.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

The slightly less worse option is they send you to collections for whatever they think you owed - this happened to me for different reasons (slumlord that raked every tenant over the coals for random reasons after move out; in my case, it was because the electricity was still on when I turned in the keys... there's not enough :wtc: in the world for that) and still shows up on my credit as money owed to a property. Haven't been able to rent from anything more than mom and pop since then, aside from the apartment I'd already lined up before they pulled that poo poo; thankfully it drops off my credit in a couple more months (7 years).

You should really dispute that. It doesn't cost you anything but time, and while it won't count into your FICO, it may still be visible to anyone who pulls your report.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've disputed it several times with the big 3; unfortunately, it's been long enough that I don't have a copy of the lease anymore, nor do I have the final electric bill showing when the power was turned off.

It's been almost 7 years, and I'm not moving until the fall; it'll be easier to just get it removed when it hits the 7 year mark.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Last night me and my boyfriend were in a cab that got into an accident. Our car was going through an intersection on a green light when a car turned directly into us while turning left. It was clearly the other driver's fault. It happened around 2am and was really rainy at the time. Tbh, the other driver seemed drunk but the cabbie just wanted to get the insurance info and leave without calling the cops. We got a pic of the offending driver's license and his insurance info, as well as the cab driver's badge number and cell.

Neither of us was wearing a seatbelt and we're both really stiff today in the neck/back. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. How do I go about making a claim if there is something wrong? Is there anything in particular I need to know or document? Not really sure how to proceed.

This happened in San Francisco, if that matters.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

close to toast posted:

Last night me and my boyfriend were in a cab that got into an accident. Our car was going through an intersection on a green light when a car turned directly into us while turning left. It was clearly the other driver's fault. It happened around 2am and was really rainy at the time. Tbh, the other driver seemed drunk but the cabbie just wanted to get the insurance info and leave without calling the cops. We got a pic of the offending driver's license and his insurance info, as well as the cab driver's badge number and cell.

Neither of us was wearing a seatbelt and we're both really stiff today in the neck/back. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. How do I go about making a claim if there is something wrong? Is there anything in particular I need to know or document? Not really sure how to proceed.

This happened in San Francisco, if that matters.

I don't know the specifics of No Fault In CA but I worked in No Fault specifically for livery and for hire vehicles, you need to make a claim with the cab drivers insurance company and they will tell you what is required or get it themselves.
Call the insurance company asap, the driver hopefully already made a claim, but you need to be associated with it if he already has and doesn't have your information to give them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am currently one of two people living in an apartment in Phoenix, Arizona. Maricopa County. I haven't really rented with a roommate before so I don't understand a lot of what is going on here. I moved in last September (2013) and originally was just going to be added as an "occupant" but then the apartment complex had me undergo a background check and then I signed onto the lease. I am assuming that this makes me a co-tenant, not a sub-lessor. I need to go to the office tomorrow to confirm this.

Anyhow, tonight my roommate comes to me out of nowhere stating we aren't "compatible" and won't elaborate at all beyond that. She wants me to move out, but I signed onto the lease as far as I am aware until August of 2014. If we are co-tenants, then I am not obligated to move and since I keep the place clean and pay all my bills on time there's no way I could be evicted, right?

EDIT: This discussion was entirely verbal, I e-mailed her after and requested any further communications about this to be delivered via e-mail.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 10, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

FordPRefectLL posted:

... and then I signed onto the lease. I am assuming that this makes me a co-tenant, not a sub-lessor. I need to go to the office tomorrow to confirm this.

... there's no way I could be evicted, right?

Hopefully you kept a copy of the agreement (hopefully a lease) that you signed. Finding your copy or getting a copy is crucial.

Assuming you are on the lease, it will tell you lots of ways that you can be evicted. For example, there's a good chance that if your room mate never pays her share of the rent, and you don't pay for her, then you will both be evicted. Also, it would be very weird for one room mate to have the power to evict the other if both are on the lease. Subleasing is different though.

Over all, it is most likely that you and your room mate are stuck with each other until August unless you reach some sort of agreement.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have a copy of the lease, digital and physical. I'm on there and it says I can only be evicted under the terms of the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, which fortunately appears to require me to not pay rent or commit a crime in order to be evicted.

It also includes:

quote:

ASSIGNMENT, SUBLETTING. Resident shall not sublet or assign all or any portion of the premises without consent of Management. Management may assign this Lease Agreement and it shall inure to the benefit of its assignees and successors in interest.

I don't understand this, but the front page of the lease has me as an "add-on" and I have signed and initialed everything she has.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have a copy of the lease, digital and physical. I'm on there and it says I can only be evicted under the terms of the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, which fortunately appears to require me to not pay rent or commit a crime in order to be evicted.

It also includes:

I don't understand this, but the front page of the lease has me as an "add-on" and I have signed and initialed everything she has.

Did you get your rental crap all setup through the landlord or the roommate?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The landlord.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is a Mafia group/street gang said to have corporate property?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they are incorporated yes.

Most states wont allow you to incorporate for unlawful reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

FordPRefectLL posted:

The landlord.

You don't need to worry about subletting.