Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Oldstench posted:

So, you've lined them up in the Arrange view like so:

And exported like this (sample rate, bit depth, etc. might be different, of course):

And still get a different sound when you play the exported WAV file?

Turns out I'm just an idiot.

When I was testing the clap I exported, I was just playing it from the desktop through VLC and it sounded like poo poo. It sounds fine when I put it in Ableton, though.

This raises another question - how different will a finished song sound once it is exported? Or even just this one clap in a finished song...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
It should sound exactly the same. Do you have some sort of plugin in VLC that affects the audio?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Oldstench posted:

It should sound exactly the same. Do you have some sort of plugin in VLC that affects the audio?

~Check your levels~

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

khysanth posted:

Turns out I'm just an idiot.

When I was testing the clap I exported, I was just playing it from the desktop through VLC and it sounded like poo poo. It sounds fine when I put it in Ableton, though.

This raises another question - how different will a finished song sound once it is exported? Or even just this one clap in a finished song...
Ah! VLC cuts off the first 1/4 second or so when playing back files. It is annoying as hell and has tripped me up in the past, too. I now use Foobar2000 as a replacement for VLC; loads quick and doesn't cut off the start of samples.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

CoasterMaster posted:

Newbie question alert :). How the hell does warping work in Ableton? I have kind of a vague notion of what it does and I'm able to warp songs decently as long as they are electronic music and have a pretty distinct kick drum in them keeping the beat. The trouble comes when I want to warp full songs that aren't electronic. I've watched a bunch of videos and done some reading, but I still don't get what goes on 'under the hood.' What does a warp marker (and transients) actually do? I want to try my hand at remixing and making mashups (loop based a la Girl Talk and otherwise) and this seems like a crucial step :). Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Honestly, you're probably going to have to keep reading analogies until one clicks. Hopefully one posted in here does!

I think of a warp marker as an anchor point. Imagine that same rubber band analogy, but you also pinch off a number of places so that the warping applied on one side of the marker doesn't affect the other. Ultimately, you're trying to make up for the variable timing in human response: you want to even out those tempo changes. Warp markers let you adjust the tempo between them.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I've been building risers using operator/analog/massive run through an FX chain of delays, filters, etc. I've noticed that the recipe to building tension is sound source + delay + pitch bend, etc. is there a way I can capture live audio (like from vocals or someone playing a guitar or keyboard), loop it, and then apply my FX chain to it and create a buildup on the fly?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ZeldaLeft posted:

I've been building risers using operator/analog/massive run through an FX chain of delays, filters, etc. I've noticed that the recipe to building tension is sound source + delay + pitch bend, etc. is there a way I can capture live audio (like from vocals or someone playing a guitar or keyboard), loop it, and then apply my FX chain to it and create a buildup on the fly?

Can't you use a return track and sends to accomplish that?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ZeldaLeft posted:

Have you checked out Live's built-in Looper device? It's perfect for your stated requirements (possibly in conjunction with triggering a dummy clip to automate a pitch rise).

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Picked up Dark Synth today. It chews the poo poo out my system, and I'm rocking a brand new top 2.3 i7.

Sounds awesome though. Way cool.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a series of tutorials or videos that would be especially helpful for a brand new Ableton user with only moderate DAW experience in the past?

I've been meaning to learn this for a while and have decided to stop procrastinating.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Tom Cosm's Ableton videos are pretty good and helped me get to grips with things. He did a really good 10-part series on building a song, the first and second of which are on youtube and the rest are available if you get a subscription to his site. They're a few years old now so they don't cover anything in v9, but that shouldn't matter too much to a beginner. There's a few other videos on his youtube channel that go over Live-9 specifics, and he's been saying for a while that he plans on re-doing the whole series in Live 9 some day.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Seriously, I can't recommend Tom Cosm's tutorials enough. It's worth the ten bucks or whatever. He goes through Ableton top to bottom, using almost every component and explaining how it works, what it does, and what its role in a song might be. Even if you don't want to create his style of music, I think it's invaluable for understanding many of the nuts and bolts if you've just bought Ableton. With Cosm's tutorials as a base, you can then find a million free YouTube tutorials for making Dubcoregrindstep or whatever specific passion is.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok thanks guys, you've got me convinced! I was hesitant to drop the :10bux: but it sounds worth it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The LFOs in Bitwig will likely make me jump ship from Live. I'm tired of pissing about setting up and routing additional modulation plug-ins for something as simple as a midi LFO. Ableton should have sorted this out ages ago.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Max has one right there for ya. Envelope follower too.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Snowy posted:

Ok thanks guys, you've got me convinced! I was hesitant to drop the :10bux: but it sounds worth it.

Is it working right now? Because I get worried when I see a bunch of error messages on a page for two days in a row. (in the "Tutorial Videos" section)

If that's just an "I'm not subscribed" thing, I'll check them out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Rob Ford, meet Ableton Push:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qbf4i3afoE

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
How the heck do you clear automations on arrangement view in Ableton 9?

I googled it and got helpful answers like "right click the track and select 'clear envelopes'" but I don't see that as an option.

e.g. how do I remove that track volume automation?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Select and Ctrl-Delete should work.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What in the world is going on in Toronto.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I don't pop molly I rock Rob Ford.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So... Push. Worth the money? Should I wait for a Push 2.0?

Now that 9.1 is out, I am thinking about upgrading and just wondering if Push is really worth it. I have a Novation Launchpad, but... I have a really soft spot for well-designed native technology.

vvv Ok. :kiddo:

Siets fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 12, 2014

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Siets posted:

So... Push. Worth the money? Should I wait for a Push 2.0?

Now that 9.1 is out, I am thinking about upgrading and just wondering if Push is really worth it. I have a Novation Launchpad, but... I have a really soft spot for well-designed native technology.

Push is loving rad and worth every penny.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just now realized Ableton has actually implemented envelope curves in Live 9 (which was one of my biggest problems with Live), but am I just stupid or is the "knee" of the curve fixed?

vvv :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 12, 2014

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Your Computer posted:

I just now realized Ableton has actually implemented envelope curves in Live 9 (which was one of my biggest problems with Live), but am I just stupid or is the "knee" of the curve fixed?

Well, holding and dragging changes it from expo to linear to log shaped. But you can't move the weights (or whatever the points that affect the location of the curve start are called).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Anal Surgery posted:

Seriously, I can't recommend Tom Cosm's tutorials enough. It's worth the ten bucks or whatever. He goes through Ableton top to bottom, using almost every component and explaining how it works, what it does, and what its role in a song might be. Even if you don't want to create his style of music, I think it's invaluable for understanding many of the nuts and bolts if you've just bought Ableton. With Cosm's tutorials as a base, you can then find a million free YouTube tutorials for making Dubcoregrindstep or whatever specific passion is.

You made me interested, so I went to the site, read through the "why become a pro member" thingie, clicked the ' Click here to become Pro for only $10 '... It does work, huh.. That's strange.
Go back to home page, click the Pro Resources dropdown and "Become a Pro Member"..
50$ for 6 months. That's not 10$ and for a limited subscription that's expensive :(

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Compare that $50 to any college level education and consider what you are getting. Education can be expensive, because knowledge often is worth it. The guy is widely regarded as a fantastic resource for a reason. He knows his stuff and has a strong talent for teaching.

Plus, I wouldn't be sweating $50 at all when Ableton and Push are setting you back a cool $1200.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Siets posted:

Plus, I wouldn't be sweating $50 at all when Ableton and Push are setting you back a cool $1200.

Nice assumption

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Nice assumption

Feel free to elaborate I guess?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That most people who use ableton dropped a cool grand on it... as opposed to dropping by their latest black label website and grabbing it free of charge

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

That most people who use ableton dropped a cool grand on it... as opposed to dropping by their latest black label website and grabbing it free of charge

Or, y'know.. used the student discount.
Also, I don't own a Push. And I really don't think you can compare a handful of tutorial videos to a college education.

It still looks interesting though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Said black label website enthusiasts probably shouldn't be whining about price then if that's how they prefer to go about things. Sorry, I have little respect for people who complain about a dude who is clearly trying to make something for himself, asking for a relatively small amount, and doing a really good job of it to boot. An equivalent audio production course and/or Ableton course at a teaching facility or online can often cost as much as 5 grand.

But yeah, "gently caress me for assuming" I guess. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

echinopsis posted:

Nice assumption

Even if you're the piratest pirate who ever pirated you still are spending hundreds of dollars on the hardware, unless you also enjoy shoplifting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Siets posted:

Said black label website enthusiasts probably shouldn't be whining about price then if that's how they prefer to go about things. Sorry, I have little respect for people who complain about a dude who is clearly trying to make something for himself, asking for a relatively small amount, and doing a really good job of it to boot. An equivalent audio production course and/or Ableton course at a teaching facility or online can often cost as much as 5 grand.

:ughh: I was kinda trying to say, maybe that's why they're sweating 50 bucks

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

:ughh: I was kinda trying to say, maybe that's why they're sweating 50 bucks

Ah, I read it as a "please sir, think of the pirates!" post. :shobon:

While we are talking learning resources, what is out there for teaching Push's capabilities? Live has always had pretty good documentation, but I wonder if there are other good resources out there? Lots of cool demo videos all over Youtube, but I'm looking for more of a "here is how you get proficient playing it like an actual instrument" step-by-steps.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Siets posted:

Ah, I read it as a "please sir, think of the pirates!" post. :shobon:

It's all good man. There is so much love here sometimes I can't contain myself

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Siets posted:

Holy crap 5 grand. Are these types of courses .... good? Right now I've been learning from mostly YouTube stuff (I've found that Sadowick's videos really helpful). Tom Cosm's videos also look great and I'll probably check them out.

(And I got my Push used off eBay, while we're on the subject... :smug:).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone else tend to find instructional videos frustrating as gently caress because they take 30 minutes to explain 1 or 2 ideas that could have been written down and subsequently read in 5 minutes?

What I really need to learn is how to actually have musical talent and how to force myself to spend more than an hour on a track.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

echinopsis posted:

Does anyone else tend to find instructional videos frustrating as gently caress because they take 30 minutes to explain 1 or 2 ideas that could have been written down and subsequently read in 5 minutes?
It really depends on the instructor.

The MacProVideo courses on Ableton Live 8 (the current version at the time I watched them) really were a huge help for me. I had them playing on one screen while I had my DAW up in another, and I paused and took a lot of notes.

They have a couple courses on the Push: Push 101 & Push 201, but not being a Push owner I haven't checked 'em out.

The dude who does their Cubase and WaveLab videos is really good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lynda.com also has Ableton tutorials but I haven't tried them yet. They often have free trials where you can download everything you need.