Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Well your average Rhineland peasant with his farm somewhere around Baden has never even heard of, much less seen a "Mongol", so why should he care about silly rumours of a "Golden Horde" bearing down on eastern europe? Now the Duke of Baden, there's a guy he knows and owes a great deal to. There's a Strong and Just man he holds in great esteem. If he asks for his support to overthrow the Emperor...why not? The sod is Craven and Slothful, and there are rumours he is a homosexual. He's only had 1 kid in 25 years of marriage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a way to change the date of a game, via console or some other way? I'd like to jumpstart the Mongol invasion but I don't feel like waiting a hundred more years :saddowns:.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Reveilled posted:

You could switch the Empire to be elective!

You could also give those Kingdom titles out if you felt like it. You'd be surrendering your right to revoke ducal titles at will, and create some pretty hefty vassals which could be problematic in rebellion, but there are advantages too. A smaller number of vassals means fewer people to keep happy, so though rebellions might be more dangerous, they may be less frequent. Centralised kingdoms make preparing your realm for war a metric fuckton easier, since you can raise the whole kingdom's levy in one place. Vassal kings are also usually strong enough to fight wars outside the realm, they can conquer new areas for the empire without your lifting a finger. Even better still if you can get your family in charge in all Kingdoms, then they are all allies, and your entire realm can go to war with their own full troop complements while you sit back and drink piņa coladas on an Italian beach.

Vassal kings are like fugu paper clips. Deadly when prepared improperly, but brilliant for organising your admin busywork.

I managed to get Italy up to medium crown authority, caught them when no one was warring, and switched it to elective and immediately destroyed it. Now I'm slowly destroying kingdoms, not too much at a time so I don't get big factions.

I'm trying to get the SPQR achievement but I was dumb and didn't turn off the Aztec Invasion DLC. The Aztecs have half of Iberia, all of France and Germany and Hungary under their control. Right now their troop levy is low, 40k vs 150k, but I have less than 200 years in the game and I have to conquer all of Iberia, France, and England up to Hadrian's Wall and I think I'd have to break a whole bunch of truces with them to make it in time. Since breaking truces now hurts really bad, that might stop me from getting the achievement.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Node posted:

That sucks. I'm not trying to game here, but oh well. I can destroy some of my kingdoms like Greece and Anatolia, and Navarra and a few random ones for some reason, but Egypt can't be destroyed because Italy is Gavelkind. Weird.

Its a big mistake to create kingdom titles in an empire, especially if you're the Byzantines or Romans, because if you have a child get born in the purple, they will inherit the Empire, but your other first heir will inherit every single kingdom that is primo because they don't care about born in the purple. I've had to stab two children to prevent this so far.

Pretty sure there's an honorary title Byzantine rulers can give to their non-Born in the Purple children that has exactly the same effect as "Born in the Purple", allowing you to circumvent that issue. Don't know for sure, though, none of my rulers so far have lived long enough for their heir to have kids before ascending to the throne themselves. Deliberately creating kingdom titles is still worse in Byzantine because you lose out on the benefits of the free ducal revocation.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Pretty sure there's an honorary title Byzantine rulers can give to their non-Born in the Purple children that has exactly the same effect as "Born in the Purple", allowing you to circumvent that issue. Don't know for sure, though, none of my rulers so far have lived long enough for their heir to have kids before ascending to the throne themselves. Deliberately creating kingdom titles is still worse in Byzantine because you lose out on the benefits of the free ducal revocation.

Yep. Despot title.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
Gotta love when the son of a genius and strong character is like a stupid dwarf hunchback with a lisp... best genetics system.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The only places I don't make kingdoms as the Byzantines are Greece and Anatolia. Having kings as vassals makes it much easier to respond to unexpected invasions because you can just call up all their troops in one place. I gave out Kingdoms 50/50 to distant family members or unlanded men with high stewardship. I married off princes and princesses to all of them over time so that they were always related to the emperor's family in some way. I couldn't care less if some duke in a vassal kings realm became too powerful. Eventually you will have so many vassal kings that there is no way there will ever be enough of them colluding together to be a threat to you. Especially not with your by now huge retinue army in addition to your personal levies and your remaining vassals.

My emperors were well bred though and usually had good traits so nearly everyone liked them. I think I had maybe one or two rebellions tops through 500 years.

I don't see how you can possibly expand into the middle east as the Byzantines and NOT make kingdom vassals there. Otherwise most of your levies are at risk of being obliterated the second you call them up as the very close Arab armies stream across your borders. It's convenient being able to call up 6-12k troops a piece in Jerusalem or Damascus.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously Darkrenown, tell the CK2 team that if they make a real indepth Byzantine expansion they could charge $25 and it would sell like gangbusters.

I love playing as Byz but I wouldn;t pay any more than $5 for an update to DLC I already own.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I love playing as Byz but I wouldn;t pay any more than $5 for an update to DLC I already own.

You would pay and you would hate yourself for doing it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Achievement Unlocked: Create the State of Israel 622 years early

And I know, I'm three counties too wide, but it's so close! I've even got a teeny tiny little West Bank!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 11, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fool_of_sound posted:

Id pay it and love myself for doing it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

You're probably right since I paid $13 or whatever for SoA even tho I had no interest in it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mustang posted:

The only places I don't make kingdoms as the Byzantines are Greece and Anatolia. Having kings as vassals makes it much easier to respond to unexpected invasions because you can just call up all their troops in one place. I gave out Kingdoms 50/50 to distant family members or unlanded men with high stewardship. I married off princes and princesses to all of them over time so that they were always related to the emperor's family in some way. I couldn't care less if some duke in a vassal kings realm became too powerful. Eventually you will have so many vassal kings that there is no way there will ever be enough of them colluding together to be a threat to you. Especially not with your by now huge retinue army in addition to your personal levies and your remaining vassals.

My emperors were well bred though and usually had good traits so nearly everyone liked them. I think I had maybe one or two rebellions tops through 500 years.

I don't see how you can possibly expand into the middle east as the Byzantines and NOT make kingdom vassals there. Otherwise most of your levies are at risk of being obliterated the second you call them up as the very close Arab armies stream across your borders. It's convenient being able to call up 6-12k troops a piece in Jerusalem or Damascus.

I haven't had much trouble calling up my troops as Byzantium, actually. Except for Anatolia and Hungary, almost everything you have or that's convenient to conquer at first is mostly coastal, and almost all my dukes have their capitals within one province of the ocean, so mustering my troops is as simple as hitting the "raise all levies" button, hitting the "raise all levy fleets" button, telling each army to board the ships docked in their province, and then directing all the fleets wherever they're needed, at which point I merge them into a doomstack. Then again, I haven't expanded very far to the east yet, I imagine it'll be tougher once I get away from the coast.

Vassal kings are one of my biggest internal problems right now, but that's mostly because I didn't get to pick the kings, so they ended up in the hands of particularly problematic dukes. One duke took enough provinces on the Hungarian border to usurp the king title, one held enough counties in newly-conquered Georgia that he was able to usurp the title a month after I put a dynasty member on the throne, and my 23-year-old ruler died before I could get newly-conquered Italy off elective succession (the newly-conquered dukes all hated me too much to vote for my heir). So they're all constantly joining factions against me and I can't really do anything about it anytime soon.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Mustang posted:

Those are pretty much ideal circumstances though and must require considerable luck and careful play. I've had kings die young either through disease, battle or natural causes. My virtuous and carefully selected tutors during the following regency have still given me poo poo like arbitrary, cruel, craven and slothful, sometimes all at once.

In those situations it won't be long before the megadukes of the realm conglomerate into a dark machine of naked ambition and pure hate whose only goal is to mess you up. It's usually those points where you wish you didn't have such powerful vassals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

As the Byzantines I literally don't use levies unless I have no other choice. Otherwise I use my Cataphract doom stacks. I had over 65k by the end of my game. Also I had just 17 rulers over 500 years, most of them geniuses with great traits. In ironman mode.

It was cool until I did something real dumb and it all blew up.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, I rose from Count to Duke of Aquitaine to King of Aquitaine. I destroyed the Kingdoms of France and Brittany so that I only have to contest two titles (the Kingdom of Aragon and Aquitaine) on a regular basis.

And then, through a series of weird marriage sheningans, King Lengunc came to power. King Legunc's mother inherited the Kingdom of France, then died in childbirth, leaving the young Kings father (who was also his half-great-uncle :psyduck:) as Regent. Literally not even three months after the young Queen ate the biscuit, I had to fight a civil war for Aquittane, accumulating many dukes in prison. Then I inherited West Francia (aka France), fought two more civil wars over it, and then I had to fight another civil war over Aragon.

So by then, I had a fair accumulation of Dukes stuffed into jail. I decided "gently caress it", and now I've imprisoned every single duke, and every single direct count in prison with the exception of one Bishphoric who has never given me trouble, in my Kingdoms. Yeah, my levies are wrecked, but my retinue is 6k strong, and I've guaranteed at least some stability in the Kingdoms until all the dukes currently in jail die out:colbert:. I have massive tyrant modifier (-330), but GODDAMN did it feel good to make every single motherfucking count my bitch.

Edit: I should also mention that I granted some of the King's demense off to his father during the regency because I had too many counties. Of course, during the second civil war, the goddamn father of the king, who had fought the first civil war, tries to overthrow his son to get his own rear end on the throne. Good thing he died in prison shortly after the war, because I would've gotten the kinslayer trait over executing him.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 11, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As the Byzantines I literally don't use levies unless I have no other choice. Otherwise I use my Cataphract doom stacks. I had over 65k by the end of my game. Also I had just 17 rulers over 500 years, most of them geniuses with great traits. In ironman mode.

It was cool until I did something real dumb and it all blew up.

What the hell did you do that 65k Cataphracts couldn't save you?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SeaTard posted:

What the hell did you do that 65k Cataphracts couldn't save you?

I got cornered by two 200k doomstacks at once. It wasn't pretty. How the AI spawned that many troops in an independence revolt I have no loving idea. And this was just last week not pre patch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I got cornered by two 200k doomstacks at once. It wasn't pretty. How the AI spawned that many troops in an independence revolt I have no loving idea. And this was just last week not pre patch.

If you can field 65k Cataphracts I am sure you can raise at least 200k levies, right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

If you can field 65k Cataphracts I am sure you can raise at least 200k levies, right?

A half to 2/3 of my vassals were rebelling so no, I couldn't. Normally I could though. It doesn't matter, I raged quit and am waiting for the Indian expansion to do a new Roman campaign. Meanwhile I'm loving around as a Hapsburg count.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you outnumber a revolting vassal by too much, they'll get the "Rebels Flocking to Your Banner" event or something like that, which spawns them a bunch of event troops that amounts to (like most in-realm event troops) a certain percentage of the total available levies of their liege. Also, don't forget that vassals can raise much more of their own levies than you can unless your crown laws are set very high, so they'll contribute many more troops to a rebellion than they ever contributed to you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In the mongol game I just finished, I learned the best way to deal with independence factions is just to let them go and deal with them at your own pace. I had 2 fire during one ruler's life time because he sucked (forgot to switch from ultimo, heirs were getting killed and changing on the reg before I learned to deal with it). The first one got rebels flock and had war score up to 100 by the time my retinues in the NEtherlands even got a third of the way to Turkestan, the second one I let go immediately. All provinces were hoovered up with 2/3 of my doomstack touring the steppe and Europe. All provinces were sieged down and the former vassals were unceremoniously dumped into the wilderness. This tactic may or may not work without the Invasion CB :)

edit: Also, if the revolting vassal is a duke and of the same culture, they will rejoin you if you ask nicely. No bloodshed needed.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does your location relative to your wife/concubine matter when spawning a endless stream of babies? Like say if my wife is back home in Norway and my ruler is off waging war in Ireland, does the game care about that and shut down babymaking?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sperm in CK2 is magical and will teleport instantly to anywhere in the world. Except through the walls of prison.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Does your location relative to your wife/concubine matter when spawning a endless stream of babies? Like say if my wife is back home in Norway and my ruler is off waging war in Ireland, does the game care about that and shut down babymaking?

Nope, hence the jokes about teleporting sperm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I still like it better this way compared to how it is handled in some mods. There you have a fertility penalty when you go to war and are leading armies.

Genghis Khan was waging war his whole life and had a huge number of children. Time spent on coding different mechanics for nomadic cultures and the rest could be used better for other things (like working on a China expansion), and didn't some nobles take their wifes with them when they campaigned anyway? How did the Muslims handle it?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Rynoto posted:

Sperm in CK2 is magical and will teleport instantly to anywhere in the world. Except through the walls of prison.
Straight-up immaculate conception is also possible, since two chaste people can produce a child. In the early days of GoT you could have Hodor, with his -10000% fertility sire multiple children. I think it might have been a floating point error or something? Or just that a percentage multiplier like that cannot ever remove the base chance in totality. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Straight-up immaculate conception is also possible, since two chaste people can produce a child. In the early days of GoT you could have Hodor, with his -10000% fertility sire multiple children. I think it might have been a floating point error or something? Or just that a percentage multiplier like that cannot ever remove the base chance in totality. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

There are events that result in pregnancy for wife/lover and don't check fertility or even the celibate/eunuch traits. There are also more recently added infidelity events where child isn't really his but shows as his.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

In earlier versions of CK2 so was it impossible to reduce fertility to 0 so celibate characters could have kids. They fixed that though.

But yeah, nowadays so is it just a few remaining events that doesn't properly check for fertility/traits and the infidelity events.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Vassal kings do have one nice little thing you can do with them. If you want three duchies of land without the opinion penalties strip all but one of the de jure provinces away from the Duke in question then transfer his vassalage to the Vassal king in question so long as they are not their de jure liege. For example taking Constantinople and Thrake and transferring the Duke of Thrace to some useless Kingdom such as Serbia or Taurica.

I fell backwards into this arrangement through lucky inheritance so I don't know if the AI will refuse this setup, but you get an angry Duke who can't do anything to you, an impotent king who doesn't do anything to the Duke, and an extra chunk of land without pissing off anyone.

Presumably you can also just destroy the title and not remake it, but I forget if non de jure vassals to the destroyed title get angry with you.

Authorman fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 11, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

How can I tell what county a character lives in or what his capital is? I want to use "sow dissent" and "build spy network" on the Duke of Verona, but I'm not sure which county to put my guys in. The duchy's emblem appears on the map within the county of Verona, so that's my best guess.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Parallax Scroll posted:

How can I tell what county a character lives in or what his capital is? I want to use "sow dissent" and "build spy network" on the Duke of Verona, but I'm not sure which county to put my guys in. The duchy's emblem appears on the map within the county of Verona, so that's my best guess.

The emblem does in fact denote the capital, so Verona is probably right. If you want to be sure, bring up that character: It'll have a thing saying where they are and what they're doing right now ("leading troops in London", "at court in Jerusalem", "reigning in Verona"), so you can double-check. You can also right-click on their portrait and there will be an option to go to that character, which will bring the map right to them. Handy when they're reigning in bumfuckistan and you don't know where that is.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

The emblem does in fact denote the capital, so Verona is probably right. If you want to be sure, bring up that character: It'll have a thing saying where they are and what they're doing right now ("leading troops in London", "at court in Jerusalem", "reigning in Verona"), so you can double-check. You can also right-click on their portrait and there will be an option to go to that character, which will bring the map right to them. Handy when they're reigning in bumfuckistan and you don't know where that is.

Thanks. He's leading troops right now so I couldn't use that method in this case.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Not necessarily. People in CK2 have learned to be in multiple places at once-even though they are leading troops, they can still be affected by things like Sow Dissent, Build Network, and so on. As long as you're targeting his home province, it'll work.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
New developer diary up for Rajas of India, looking at the Indian religions http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?755281-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-2-Indian-Religion

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Authorman posted:

Vassal kings do have one nice little thing you can do with them. If you want three duchies of land without the opinion penalties strip all but one of the de jure provinces away from the Duke in question then transfer his vassalage to the Vassal king in question so long as they are not their de jure liege. For example taking Constantinople and Thrake and transferring the Duke of Thrace to some useless Kingdom such as Serbia or Taurica.

I fell backwards into this arrangement through lucky inheritance so I don't know if the AI will refuse this setup, but you get an angry Duke who can't do anything to you, an impotent king who doesn't do anything to the Duke, and an extra chunk of land without pissing off anyone.

Presumably you can also just destroy the title and not remake it, but I forget if non de jure vassals to the destroyed title get angry with you.

You can't transfer dukes to a king unless it's their de jure liege, though. The only way to do it is to revoke the duchy and then grant it to the king -- and since they now have the duchy and no imperative to give it out, they'll dislike you for holding some of their de jure territory.

Non-de jure vassals do not get mad at you for destroying titles, no.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Unless its changed recently "build spy network" definitely does not increase assassination chances against someone out leading troops if put in their home province, you'd have to actually put it in the one they are leading troops in.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010

Dwarf posted:

Is there a way to change the date of a game, via console or some other way? I'd like to jumpstart the Mongol invasion but I don't feel like waiting a hundred more years :saddowns:.

Gonna quote this again. Is there a way to console-gently caress so that the Mongols come in early? Maybe an event code?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TheBlackRoija posted:

Unless its changed recently "build spy network" definitely does not increase assassination chances against someone out leading troops if put in their home province, you'd have to actually put it in the one they are leading troops in.

I want to gently caress his life up in general, so if my spymaster can spread some rumors that's cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Dwarf posted:

Gonna quote this again. Is there a way to console-gently caress so that the Mongols come in early? Maybe an event code?

Edit: The event id is 60000 for Rumors of a Steppe Menace
60001 for Arrival of the Ilkhanate
60002 for the Golden Horde

You may have to do them in order if they haven't already triggered

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread