Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
For any nerds who complain about Morrowind needing a permanent GameFAQs tab open, when I first played Morrowind the world map window never appeared, so I finished the game on directions given by quest givers and my own exploration alone. But I was also harassed by invisible cliff racers and poo poo, and wondered if I'd accidentally gotten a CD with a dev/beta build or something.

Also, re unarmed: punching Vivec, Almalexia, Dagoth Ur and Hircine to death along with everyone else in the game is the raddest, most metal way of playing Morrowind.

By the way, the real way to begin every Morrowind game is to give Fargoth his ring, then wait til 11pm on top of the lighthouse, steal his stuff from the trunk, and sell it. And you know it. :colbert:

Crewmine posted:

The best quest in the game was the one you get from the legion officer where he tells you a "little story" about how the good policeman wants to make everyone happy but needs the "bad people" to go away first, and it basically translated to busting into a bar and murdering everyone inside then hoofing it back to the legion castle before the guards imprison you forever.

Being able to intimidate dudes into attacking you so you could murder them in 'self defense' was a great mechanic.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Black Pants posted:

By the way, the real way to begin every Morrowind game is to give Fargoth his ring, then wait til 11pm on top of the lighthouse, steal his stuff from the trunk, and sell it. And you know it. :colbert:

Doing this and the tax collector quest so you can buy a sabre and a few spells from Arille is still the exact way I play the first ten minutes of Morrowind to this day.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Yaldabaoth posted:

"We're too lazy to fix it so the dark elves treat you differently if you play as one of them, let's just make up some dumb story-related excuse that's never once mentioned in the game itself"

Actually, it is mentioned in conversation early in the game that Dunmer who grew up outside of Morrowind weren't exposed to the constant ash of the Red Mountain all their lives and so don't have the rough gravelly voices or accents of native Dunmer. :colbert:

Found that out by replaying years after being confused why Dunmer in Oblivion didn't have the rough voice of those in Morrowind.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Crewmine posted:

The best quest in the game was the one you get from the legion officer where he tells you a "little story" about how the good policeman wants to make everyone happy but needs the "bad people" to go away first, and it basically translated to busting into a bar and murdering everyone inside then hoofing it back to the legion castle before the guards imprison you forever.

True - you actually get a skill book as an extra reward if you manage to do it discreetly (i.e. taunt all the n'wahs in there until they attack you :v: ) which I didn't know until my most recent playthrough.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Being able to intimidate dudes into attacking you so you could murder them in 'self defense' was a great mechanic.

this is known as trayvoning the npc

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cannot Find Server posted:

Yep. If you're playing an Elder Scrolls game for the quests, you're playing the game wrong. Although the Tribunal Temple line was actually pretty good after you got past the absolutely retarded pilgrimage quest.

WHAT! Every time I play Morrowind, I always join the temple for the sole reason of this 1 quest as soon as I get to Balmora. It's a nice way to uncover some of the map and transportation routes while having an RP reason to do so (especially if you play Dunmer)

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Black Pants posted:

God I figured this out like two hours before I finally beat the main quest. Next time I play I'm going to have to seriously think about whether I do it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Chum Scandal posted:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Broken Box posted:

Enchant Almalexia's soul into a pair of pants for comedy option or if you're a pragmatic jerk for spell charges on a Daedric Tower Shield

THEN put Vivec's in Azura's Star with the rest of the named Dagoths and also the souls of named ghosts and poo poo because gently caress ARKAY

^^^^^^:respek: never not enchant her poo poo soul into useless enchanted undergarments

I miss having 300 equipment slots, all of which work with enchanting

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Dr. Lenin posted:

Also alchemy being hilariously broken was awesome, I fortified my intelligence so high that I was able to create a fortify strength for 100000000000 points potion that would last until the heat death of universe

Pro: One shot Dagoth Ur with so much damage you bypass his auto heal
Con: You break your weapon after each hit

That's why throwing weapons are the best.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

hexic posted:

i don't think so, CHIM

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tribunal wasn't super well thought out for new characters due to the stupid dark brotherhood assassins.

You sleep the first time and hey a guy with a free set of nearly the best light armor in the game shows up, and you either get a ridiculously nice set of armor one day in or a big pile of money you didn't even need to steal.

Then if you tried to do the original quest or bloodmoon or just gently caress off doing whatever for a long time the assassins got annoying as poo poo since they'd start showing up with jinkblades and later daedric weapons and loving instant-death ebony darts.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Tribunal wasn't well thought out in general. "You know that open world gaming thing we're famous for? Well scrap that and set everything in a closed-off city with an improbably large sewer system filled with level 40 monstrosities."

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Chum Scandal posted:

:thurman:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My brother played a hand-to-hand Argonian and I once watched him spend about 3 minutes slowly beating an assassin to death at level 1 in a tiny shack in Seyda Neen.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Hey, did you nerds know that if you manage to sneak up on sixth house creatures (ash servants/zombies/priests/vampires and ascended sleepers) that you can enter into conversation with them and hear their mad rambling? Because you can, and it's pretty fuckin' cool.

morrowind rules get owned loving peasant scrub games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Tribunal wasn't well thought out in general. "You know that open world gaming thing we're famous for? Well scrap that and set everything in a closed-off city with an improbably large sewer system filled with level 40 monstrosities."
yeah I really liked tribunal when I was, like, 12, because I thought it had a well-written political story and I love fleshed-out city settings. replaying it in later years it was pretty much terrible in every way apart from some cool sidequests. Not sure what was the worst out of the monumentally stupid writing/plot, the monumentally bad balancing and the monumentally bad sewers

Bloodmoon was good fun even if it gels incredibly weirdly with the rest of the setting and seems more like a self-contained wacky viking adventure in another universe altogether

Dec 26, 2012

Chum Scandal posted:

lmao

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
Peter, John and Mary Magdalene murder Jesus at the Last Supper in exchange for immortality, blame it on Judas, and then declare themselves living gods. Also Peter is a hermaphrodite.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Started playing Morrowind again with the 3.0 overhaul today, looks very pretty. :)

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

YourHealthyColon posted:

Peter, John and Mary Magdalene murder Jesus at the Last Supper in exchange for immortality, blame it on Judas, and then declare themselves living gods. Also Peter is a hermaphrodite.

peter was a huge rear end in a top hat, unlike vivec, who

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

YourHealthyColon posted:

this but they became gods by eating on Loki's heart which was ripped from his body by a collection of all the gods who were mad at him for tricking them into creation in the first place

basically creation was the original mistake and everything after that just compounded the clusterfuck

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jesus comes back and kills them all, then a meteorite destroys the middle east.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My favorite character was an unarmored, unarmed dude with Illusion, Mysticism, Alteration, and Restoration. Charm people to do what you want, fortify personality to taunt people to attack you, cure any disease or blight you may get, absorb enemy strength/agi/speed and punch them until their brains turn into soup. Open any door, travel quickly via jump/slowfall spells, levitate to make sure you get all the cool poo poo in dungeons, and use Telekinesis/Feather spells to make sure you get every piece of poo poo iron armor in the dungeon for mad $$$. The non-destruction schools of magicka were great in Morrowind and if you never tried them and instead just threw fireballs or whatever you are missing out. Also if you want to be a fighter still get magic because you can conjure unholy demon weapons at level 1 that don't weigh anything and make it easier to hit things.

naem
May 29, 2011

sounds p good and stuff

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why have fun things when you can have boring rear end dragons and only 3 stats?

Dec 26, 2012

the lack of stats wasnt the issue, everything being dull as dishwater was

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I mean the last dragonborn, who is either a mortal personally blessed by akatosh himself, an avatar of Lorkhan, or some combination of those, should have been a figure of legendary import. The Nerevarine reunited the squabbling factions of Morrowind and the Ashlander tribes together, waged war against a mad god, and judged three old ones, then defeated a Dawdric price at his own game. The Dragonborn killed some dragons and Alduin but the people of Skyrim did not unite behind him in the same way. Basically, the world of Skyrim just didn't recognize what a godly badass you were. Meanwhile in Morrowind once you killed Dagoth Ur people would greet you on the street with "Holy poo poo, the Nerevarine?! You're a god drat hero!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cantorsdust posted:

Chemua could give butts stomach aches

Your copy of the sermons is corrupt and forbidden by the tribunal!

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
there will never be a polearms class in a TES game again :(

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

FreudianSlippers posted:

Elder Scrolls game on a console just seems silly. I mean sure these days they are pretty much created specifically for the console market but a TES game without mods is just stupid.

If you had a modded (even soft-modded) Xbox, you could actually put mods/plugins on the HDD and play them. The Xbox only had 64 MB of RAM, though, so it wasn't really worth it if you planned on playing with more than two or three mods. IIRC, not only did the game save locations of chests/items, but also open doors. If you planned on playing the game for more than 40 hours, you had to close doors behind you or else your game saves would wind up corrupted.

The first time I played Morrowind, I rented it and spent the entire time playing in Seyda Neen because I didn't realize there was any more to the game. I eventually bought my own Xbox and the game in late 2002. Wound up sinking at least 2,000 hours into it. When I finally bought it for the PC and realized loading screens were nearly non-existent on 7,200 rpm HDDs with 512+ MB of RAM, I hated life and stopped playing the game altogether. Then I played Oblivion, which really disappointed me because all of the cities were their own maps rather than being part of the overworld.

Best thing to do in Morrowind is command creature/humanoid for 1440 sec and create your own army to raid Vivec.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Your copy of the sermons is corrupt and forbidden by the tribunal!

Curse my cloud to butt extension!

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Twelve

As the Hortator pondered the first lesson of ruling kings, Vivec wandered into the Mourning Hold and found that Ayem was with a pair of lovers. Seht had divided himself again. Vivec then leapt through into their likenesses to observe, but he gained no secrets that he did not already know. He left a few of his own behind to make the journey worthwhile.

Then Vivec left the capital of Veloth and wandered far into the ash. He found a span of badlands to practice his giant-form. He made of his feet a less dense material than the divine to keep from falling waist-deep into the earth. At this point the First Corner of the House of Troubles, the Prince Molag Bal, made his presence known.

Vivec looked on the King of Rape and said:

'How very beautiful you are, that you do not join us. '

And Molag Bal crushed the warrior-poet's feet, which were not invulnerable, and had legions cleave them off. Mighty fires from the Beginning Place were brought like nets to hold Vivec and he let them.

'I would prefer,' he said, 'some kind of ceremony if we are to be married.'

And the legions that took the feet were summoned again and ordered to begin a banquet. Pomegranates sprang from the badlands and tents were raised. A throng of Velothi mystics came, reading the passages of the severed feet on the ground and weeping until the scriptures were wet.

'We must love each other briefly,' Vivec said, 'if at all. I am needed to counsel the Hortator in more important matters because the Dwemeri high priests stir up trouble. You may have my head for an hour.'

Molag Bal rose up and extended six arms to show his worth. They were decorated in runes of seduction and its reverse. They were decorated in the annotated calendars of longer worlds. When he spoke, mating monsters fell out. 'Where must it go?' he said.

'I told you,' Vivec said, 'I am meant to be the teacher of the king of the earth. AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME.'

With these magic words, the King of Rape added another: 'CHIM,' which is the secret syllable of royalty.

Vivec had what he needed from the Daedroth and so married him that day. In the hour that Bal had his head, the King of Rape asked for proof of love.

Vivec spoke two poems to show him such, but only the first is known.

I'm not sure just how much glass it took to make your hair
Twice as much, I am sure, as the oceans have to share
Hell, my sweet, is a fiction written by those who tell the truth
My mouth is skilled at lying and its alibi a tooth

The sons and daughters of Vivec and Molag Bal number in the thousands. The name of the mightiest is a string of power:

GULGA MOR JIL HYAET AE HOOM.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

this but they became gods by eating on Loki's heart which was ripped from his body by a collection of all the gods who were mad at him for tricking them into creation in the first place

basically creation was the original mistake and everything after that just compounded the clusterfuck

Lorkhan did nothing wrong. He ensured the creation of the world so that everyone could have the chance to achieve Amaranth and sacrificed himself to do it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
RIP levitate and mark/recall

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Cannot Find Server posted:

Doing this and the tax collector quest so you can buy a sabre and a few spells from Arille is still the exact way I play the first ten minutes of Morrowind to this day.

Don't forget raiding a shelf in the census building, putting everything down before the officer scolds you for stealing, then picking everything back up without the stuff showing up as stolen. Gives you enough loot to buy a weapon and some armor.

This game :allears:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Also if you specialized in swords and didn't get the Daedric Crescent ASAP you hosed up

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Dr. Lenin posted:

Also if you specialized in swords and didn't get the Daedric Crescent ASAP you hosed up

I used Chrysamere, is that bad?

also my favourite morrowind memory is loading up all my enchanting gear, using it all at once in the menu, and killing Dagoth Ur in 2 hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dr. Lenin posted:

Don't forget raiding a shelf in the census building, putting everything down before the officer scolds you for stealing, then picking everything back up without the stuff showing up as stolen. Gives you enough loot to buy a weapon and some armor.

This game :allears:

Did you get the key near that one guy who takes your papers and gives you the orders to go to Caius Cosades's house? If so, you can break into the warehouse right across from the Census building and rob it of all the armor, moon sugar, and skooma inside of it.

• Locked thread