Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Basically to explain Chaos because it's a bit (a bit!) poorly explained:

FFXIII has a Physical World and a Spirit World/Afterlife/Whatever. The Afterlife is made of Chaos and human hearts/souls are made of Chaos. When someone dies their soulstuff goes back to the afterlife where it is eventually reborn as a new person. However since poo poo Be hosed, the afterlife is basically devouring the physical world unchecked. Since the goddess who regulated life and death is dead, nobody can be born or age anymore but they can still die from basically anything else, and once they're dead there's not really any way for them to be reborn so their souls just kind of hang out in the afterlife in eternal writhing torment.

Cool, thanks! No wonder everyone is so gloomy now. Apart from that weird NPC in the chocobo bikini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brasseye posted:

Cool, thanks! No wonder everyone is so gloomy now. Apart from that weird NPC in the chocobo bikini.

Her deal is explained in the last game. It's pretty dumb. She is an actual Chocobo who was granted the power to turn into a human after she fell into a time hole. To be precise she's the chocobo who lived in Sazh's Afro.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Polite Tim posted:

And instead say Paradox every other word...

No, no, we've moved on from that. Now it's Chaos every other word.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Her deal is explained in the last game. It's pretty dumb. She is an actual Chocobo who was granted the power to turn into a human after she fell into a time hole. To be precise she's the chocobo who lived in Sazh's Afro.
They ruined Frocobo!? :cripes:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Chocolina is cool. Don't hate. :colbert:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ImpAtom posted:

C'mon. That's ridiculous enough to be funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chocolina is basically the best character in FFXIII-2, don't hate.

Anyways, apparently you're supposed to get Lightning's previous two costumes if I have FFXIII and XIII-2 Data, is there a certain place I transfer data at or is it supposed to just be there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Anyways, apparently you're supposed to get Lightning's previous two costumes if I have FFXIII and XIII-2 Data, is there a certain place I transfer data at or is it supposed to just be there?

There's a "Barter Shop" that appears in the menu once you get past the tutorial. All DLC items, Achievement-unlocked items and so-on appear there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sex_Ferguson posted:

13-2 just detected the save itself on start.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Wait so there's no Mog throw in Lightning Returns?

This is bullshit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I rented 13-2 but couldn't get through the standard hour or two before the game actually starts. Is it with it to try again? What I played of the demo didn't seem too bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

There's a "Barter Shop" that appears in the menu once you get past the tutorial. All DLC items, Achievement-unlocked items and so-on appear there.

Yeah it was on this, thanks.

Aphrodite posted:

13-2 just detected the save itself on start.

I didn't see a save detect, but I wasn't really paying much attention to the opening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dreffen posted:

Wait so there's no Mog throw in Lightning Returns?

This is bullshit.

Don't worry. There is. Not as a mechanic but there is.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ImpAtom posted:

Don't worry. There is. Not as a mechanic but there is.

Good! There were some missteps 13-2 had. Mog throwing wasn't one of them!

e: Hope talking about Hope was is some serious snake eating it's tail poo poo.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 11, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dreffen posted:

Good! There were some missteps 13-2 had. Mog throwing wasn't one of them!

Mog's voice on the other hand...

Also saying kupo

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mog's voice on the other hand...

Also saying kupo

KUPOkupo?~~~~~~~ :keke:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

dreffen posted:

KUPOkupo?~~~~~~~ :keke:

Of the myriad atrocities perpetrated by FFXIII-2 this was definitely the worst. "Kupo" works as bizzare onomatopoeia, it does not work as a loving verbal tic (at least not in English).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mog throwing was great, because you got some neat stuff out of it and by making Mog as annoying as possible it gave you an incentive to want to do it in the first place. That it let you get something as ridiculously strong as Chichu later on was just a nice bonus.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fedule posted:

Of the myriad atrocities perpetrated by FFXIII-2 this was definitely the worst. "Kupo" works as bizzare onomatopoeia, it does not work as a loving verbal tic (at least not in English).

They just used it wrong.

You need to use it in the place of expletives.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is probably an obvious answer, but is it possible to unlock locked abilities on garb or do I have to deal with the fact that attack seems to be an ability that is not locked on every garb?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Fedule posted:

Kupo kupo.... :sigh:

I'm sorry. God that whole Mog thing besides the throwing was so weird.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc

Should have used this Mog voice.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Who is that commercial for?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dreffen posted:

Who is that commercial for?

Fans of JRPGs and the film "My Cousin Vinny"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This is probably an obvious answer, but is it possible to unlock locked abilities on garb or do I have to deal with the fact that attack seems to be an ability that is not locked on every garb?

You can't unlock it. "Attack", it is worth noting, is just the default name for "mid-tier physical attack." You'll get a crazy number of things that replace it and do its job better.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Barudak posted:

Fans of JRPGs and the film "My Cousin Vinny"

Turns out I'm the target demographic and I didn't even know it!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

You can't unlock it. "Attack", it is worth noting, is just the default name for "mid-tier physical attack." You'll get a crazy number of things that replace it and do its job better.

I figured as much. I equipped the Siegfried and the attack that one came with just started doing crazier damage than I did with the basic one, it's a bit of inconvenience for certain garbs I guess, but it's not like I won't unlock individual abilities to make up for it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Mog throwing was great, because you got some neat stuff out of it and by making Mog as annoying as possible it gave you an incentive to want to do it in the first place. That it let you get something as ridiculously strong as Chichu later on was just a nice bonus.

Chichu is ridiculous. Nothing that goofy-looking should be that lethal, and I say this as someone who fully intends to get a Tonberry in his lineup.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting looking at some of the review scores for Lightning Returns. Feels like there's tons of variance. Mind you, the only one I really pay much attention to besides Giant Bomb is Eurogamer, and they gave it an eight.

If I unironically liked the previous two games, is there any reason I won't like LR?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

If I unironically liked the previous two games, is there any reason I won't like LR?

The rather different battle system maybe, given that it's nearly as much of a departure from the previous two games' system as they were from previous FF games' systems. Other than that, I guess you would dislike it if you have an irrational hatred of Lightning but liked the other characters. Or if you're astraphobic.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you like that the 13 story is nuts, you will like LR. I also liked 13, really liked 13-2 and I'm currently liking LR for what it's worth.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Let's be honest: if you liked FF13 you'll like anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

But mostly Datalogs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chumbler posted:

The rather different battle system maybe, given that it's nearly as much of a departure from the previous two games' system as they were from previous FF games' systems. Other than that, I guess you would dislike it if you have an irrational hatred of Lightning but liked the other characters. Or if you're astraphobic.

Astra actually helps you resist phobia effects.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

Interesting looking at some of the review scores for Lightning Returns. Feels like there's tons of variance. Mind you, the only one I really pay much attention to besides Giant Bomb is Eurogamer, and they gave it an eight.

Play the demo and find out.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Defiance Industries posted:

That seems unfair. I didn't like Mystic Quest!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dreffen posted:

Liking FF13 I can forgive, but this is just plain heresy. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought Mystic Quest was a fun, relaxing game.

I don't know. XIII-2 has a lot of problems yes including some tedious sidequests but I can't bring myself to dislike it more than XIII which bored the hell out of me because there was nothing to the game but the combat system and pretty visual corridors that quickly become very dull visually looking corridors with annoying characters talking about how they need to keep running and save Cocoon for the entire game.

What are the sidequests like in Lightning Returns? Does the game's dungeons or combat areas feel as gated as the demo implied?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dreffen posted:

Turn in your gamer card and go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is me as well. I really enjoyed the first two... no reason for me not to enjoy this, regardless of review scores. Also, I liked FFX-2 and the Garb system seems like dressspheres 2.0. I'm fine with this.