Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZZ breaks Gundam history by having the second OP being way better than that 'Anime ja nai!' rubbish.

That said, if they spend one more episode stuck in this stupid desert, I may give up on the whole thing.

Edit: Maybe it's just because I'm tired or because I hate stuff happening to little sisters but Leina's death was one of the most depressing things I've seen in a Gundam show. Also, Roux was a total oval office about it, even if she ultimately meant well.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man I like Silent Voice and all, but It's Not Anime is by far the better song. Those lyrics man.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
F91 was the poo poo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

"Where are you spacemen?"
"Lieutenant, they prefer to be called "spacenoids" sir."
"Good, sounds even stupider."

Hey, I agree with the worst character. I don't remember the term "spacenoid" ever being brought up in MSG and that's probably a good thing. Man that sounds dumb.

So yeah, 4 episodes into 0083. Gatomade me think of Manfred von Karma for some reason and that is only a good thing. However, yet again just like back in MSG, the story isn't making it easy to like the Federation over Zeon. Kou is doing nothing for me and everyone else is annoying me to Hell. Also if the writers intended me to hate Zeon for shooting down their own spy when he attempted to locate and contact them, they failed. The idiot deserved to be shot down. Way to compromise your entire cause with the worst timing ever.

On the dub front, not as good as 08th MS Team. The narrator is Nakago from Fushigi Yuugi, the giant woman is Wendee Lee I'm sure (that's always good in my book), Nina is Kaouru from Rurouni Kenshin (that poor lady just can't catch a break with terrible females) and Gato is Kirk Thornton aka Saito Hajime/Hotohori/Captain Mathews/a billion other roles.

I love the opening song though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Man I like Silent Voice and all, but It's Not Anime is by far the better song. Those lyrics man.

Hey, if you want to talk lyrics, Silent Voice scores major points for being Haman's big villain song.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

Different show but: :black101: Men of Destiny. :black101:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

NikkolasKing posted:

However, yet again just like back in MSG, the story isn't making it easy to like the Federation over Zeon. Kou is doing nothing for me and everyone else is annoying me to Hell. Also if the writers intended me to hate Zeon for shooting down their own spy when he attempted to locate and contact them, they failed. The idiot deserved to be shot down. Way to compromise your entire cause with the worst timing ever.

As we keep saying, they don't want you to like the Federation. Both sides of this conflict are assholes.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Nikkolas, I think if you keep wanting to make it so black and white between the two that you may not enjoy the show moving forward at all. Just my two cents.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
The real gundam enemies are adults.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AzraelNewtype posted:

As we keep saying, they don't want you to like the Federation. Both sides of this conflict are assholes.

hallo spacedog posted:

Nikkolas, I think if you keep wanting to make it so black and white between the two that you may not enjoy the show moving forward at all. Just my two cents.

The first part of my post wasn't about liking the Federation government, I was referring to liking the protagonists as characters. Kou and Nina and Keith and the old lecherous rear end in a top hat veteran pilot who keep making GBS threads on Kou because why not. I'm not really feeling attached to any of the heroes was my point. So far in this show, just like with MSG, I find that Zeon has more appealing representatives.

Also I enjoyed MS Team precisely because of how gray it was compared to the original MSG where Zeon was quite clearly evil. If the series keeps up with the moral ambiguity, I will be happy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 11, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well, 0083 is only memorable for eye candy, the writing and plot and everything else can be safely thrown away into the garbage can. On the other hand, you can now watch Zeta which is literally the best UC Gundam series. Also the one where you hear KONO PURESSHA the most times (this may be linked???)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ah, yep in that case carry on, you're just experiencing a normal human reaction to how terrible everyone is in 0083!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gato is easily the best part of 0083, not that this is hard mind you but the dude is one of the few cool characters.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, he's too bland and idiotically devoted to be cool to me. Cima, Kelly and Burning are about it. And Kelly is only in it for one or two episodes I think. Cima is easily the best of them, especially when taking in the cut backstory to account. Monsha could have been funny/cool if he hadn't ran over the line in to recklessly endangering his friends and crewmates lives because Nina chose Kou instead of him and he couldn't handle it. He left the line so far behind he couldn't see it from atop the Dendrobium with binoculars and a map. He's an interesting character because he's so consumed by his jealousy for several episodes, but not a cool one, and sadly not even very funny he takes it so far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zedd posted:

Gato is easily the best part of 0083, not that this is hard mind you but the dude is one of the few cool characters.

Gato is amazingly quotable, but as a character he's ridiculously loving wooden and boring. He's basically a blindly loyal cardboard cutout of a person with no personal flair of his own. Norris did the "ridiculously terrifying Zeon ace" thing with a lot more character.

It's not really Gato's fault, almost all the characters in 0083 are terrible and he's better than most of them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There's not a single character in 0083 that rises above cardboard-cutout level (possibly excepting the two leads, both of whom are unlikable shitheads.) Even the appealing ones are nothing more than rote cliches – the grizzled yet softhearted veteran! The disgraced but noble ronin! The "scorned woman" seeking revenge! etc. etc. loving etc.

It really is too bad, because the broad outlines of the story are fairly solid. I like all the double-dealing and political intrigue going on as well as the fact that the protagonists are completely blind to it until it's all over with. It might have made an excellent addition to the series if the character writing wasn't so bloody awful. As it is, I'm just glad they didn't try to stretch the thing to 25 hours because I couldn't even make it through six.

(I really wanted to like Cima - with her throw rugs and bridge beefcake and gently caress-the-world attitude she came close to having an actual personality – but ultimately she's just the same tired-rear end "evil woman" trope we've seen a hundred times and I'd rather see ambitious failed writing than this no-effort poo poo)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 12, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The most enjoyable part of 0083 is watching everyone's faces get ridiculously detailed whenever they scowl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gundam 0083 has like two things going for it, the first OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA450yRJ6Cs

and how the beam sabers have a cool flarey look to them, that's about it. I guess some of the fights are pretty good too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That is a really loving awesome song. Best Gundam opening I've seen thus far.

And while Norris had more character than Gato, they're very different. Yes they are "Zeon aces" but Norris' whole thing was his samurai demeanor. He was less loyal to Zeon and more loyal to Aina and Ginias. He never struck me as a fighter for ideals or a cause. Gato is a true believer of Zeon and while I've seen all this before (I can't help but think of the beginning of MGS2 with Colonel Gurlukovich trying to steal Metal Gear RAY to revive Soviet Russia in comparison to Gato stealing the new Gundam to try and revive Zeon), I am enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to see where the Cima thing goes. The foreboding music and her bitchy attitude and the whole "EVIL" vibe from her kinda conflicts with the Zeon remnants' idealistic crusade.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It also has arguably the best and most consistent mecha design in the entire franchise – its one and only positive feature, really.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Gundam 0083 has like two things going for it, the first OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA450yRJ6Cs

and how the beam sabers have a cool flarey look to them, that's about it. I guess some of the fights are pretty good too.

How about the designs? For me the GP03 is tied with the Mk.II for best looking gundam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm looking forward to see where the Cima thing goes. The foreboding music and her bitchy attitude and the whole "EVIL" vibe from her kinda conflicts with the Zeon remnants' idealistic crusade.

There was some back story for Cima that doesn't reflect well on Zeon command but makes her more sympathetic and understandable, which was unfortunately cut. Rumor mill says it was cut because the makers wanted Zeon to come across better since they were fanboys. I don't know how true it is, but regardless you can find it easily enough if you Google around or hit up with Gundam Wikia once you're done since it sheds some light on her character.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

There was some back story for Cima that doesn't reflect well on Zeon command but makes her more sympathetic and understandable, which was unfortunately cut. Rumor mill says it was cut because the makers wanted Zeon to come across better since they were fanboys. I don't know how true it is, but regardless you can find it easily enough if you Google around or hit up with Gundam Wikia once you're done since it sheds some light on her character.

I think the best thing to come out of 0083 is the Gerbera Tetra, and that only once you read the suplimentary material and realized it was originally supposed to be the GP-04 Gerbera. There is something just so hilariously bad about Anaheim realizing they can't sell a design, changing the look of the armor and selling it to Zeon instead.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Totally love 0083 songs and its Top Gun vibes. Men of destiny is a great loving song.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cima could have easily been the main character in a tragedy. Her backstory is pretty good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there much Gundam content on any streaming services? I rented a bunch of DVDs (the original movie trilogy, CCA, Stardust Memory and F91 I think) through LoveFilm here in the UK, would be nice if I could watch the other UC OVAs and some of the other stuff I've not seen yet. Sadly none on Netflix UK, I don't know if US Netflix is different.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
GundamInfo's YouTube channel has a few Gundam series (but just 00, AGE, the SEED and Destiny HD remasters, Build Fighters, and Unicorn AFAIK). Last time I checked I think AnimeChannel had MSG and Zeta on Youtube as well. Dunno if you can watch them in the UK.

Also, I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll has Gundam Wing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daisuki.net has ZZ Gundam.

https://www.daisuki.net/movies/watch/LDc/sEc

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
I dont think Unicorn is available on Youtube for the US

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ethiser posted:

Cima could have easily been the main character in a tragedy. Her backstory is pretty good.

IIRC, isn't Cima the one who piloted the Zaku I that gassed Shiro's colony in 08th MS? I remember reading somewhere that her superiors had told her it was sleeping gas instead of a nerve agent, and she had a full-scale breakdown after learning she had just massacred a million people (which of course leads to her turning on Delaz in 0083).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

3 posted:

IIRC, isn't Cima the one who piloted the Zaku I that gassed Shiro's colony in 08th MS? I remember reading somewhere that her superiors had told her it was sleeping gas instead of a nerve agent, and she had a full-scale breakdown after learning she had just massacred a million people (which of course leads to her turning on Delaz in 0083).

That's pretty much the long and short of it, yes. Also I believe Cima's colony was one of the ones that was gassed as well, but don't quote me on that.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Kanos posted:

That's pretty much the long and short of it, yes. Also I believe Cima's colony was one of the ones that was gassed as well, but don't quote me on that.

Nah, Gihren just turned her colony into a giant laser, that's all.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

tsob posted:

It was also included in the intro to her story mode in Encounters in Space.

Caros posted:

I think the best thing to come out of 0083 is the Gerbera Tetra, and that only once you read the suplimentary material and realized it was originally supposed to be the GP-04 Gerbera. There is something just so hilariously bad about Anaheim realizing they can't sell a design, changing the look of the armor and selling it to Zeon instead.
Also, it's actually a plot point in SD Gundam Force.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Her unit was also scapegoated as committing war crimes forcing them to roam as space pirates because they couldn't return to side 3. Too bad they didn't include this in 0083 to balance out the Zeons.

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 12, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Why didn't we get Cima's Counterattack? She really deserved revenge of some sort.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 12, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Why didn't we get Chima'a Counterattack? She really deserved revenge of some sort.

That is what 0083 was.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That is what 0083 was.

True but the Universal Century still found a way to screw her in the end.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I don't remember, did he gas that colony too? It sounds like a Gihren-y thing to do. And I adore the Gerbera Tetra purely because of the Sturm Booster, something about a ludicrously huge rocket engine planted on the back of a robot just makes me happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

True but the Universal Century still found a way to screw her in the end.

It isn't like Char succeeded at his Counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i was gonna ask about this after finishing 0083 but hell, I'm only three episodes away and the topic of CCA has come up. (in a way)

A guy elsewhere said I should just skip Zeta because Char's actions in the movie line up more with how he was in MSG and not at all with how his character developed by Zeta. True or false?

Also I do not plan to skip Zeta. Zeta has been more or less the main goal of starting with UC. I am eager to see the legend and judge it for myself. I should def be starting it tonight and I won't lie, I'm very excited.

• Locked thread