Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Indians will be able to choose their preferred heir. I'm guessing that this will launch a half-dozen new attempts at an Imperial China mod.

Also, Indian religions localise Piety as Karma. :allears:

e: I really can't tell whether it's orientalist or earnest. Anti-Christs already being the game notwithstanding, I hope they don't get too metaphysical with religion.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Indians will be able to choose their preferred heir. I'm guessing that this will launch a half-dozen new attempts at an Imperial China mod.

Also, Indian religions localise Piety as Karma. :allears:

e: I really can't tell whether it's orientalist or earnest. Anti-Christs already being the game notwithstanding, I hope they don't get too metaphysical with religion.

Blow up Megaton: -1000 Karma. :smith:

Seriously speaking, I am thrilled at the modding potential of "designates_heir=yes" in religions.txt. That's just gonna be great for making cool mod stuff.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
I thought there was a "Designate Heir" option in the Merchant Republic's already? Was it broken in some way?

Also, speaking of modding hows your mod going, DrSunshine?

Ageofbob fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 11, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
What I find the most interesting about the upcoming religion mechanics is the heresy-less way they split up the Indian religions. Imagine the mods you can make by taking the "what god do you identify with?" trait as far as you can. It'll certainly give the modder behind Ancient Religions a whole lot of poo poo to do (Identify with Ares, get +2 Martial :black101:).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ageofbob posted:

I thought there was a "Designate Heir" option in the Merchant Republic's already? Was it broken in some way?

It worked perfectly for anyone in the patrician_elective government type, what this should do it let it be used everywhere. Hopefully this also means that we might get more government modification options, so we can do things like matri marriages as a republic.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

didn't some nobles take their wifes with them when they campaigned anyway? How did the Muslims handle it?

Eleanor of Aquitaine actually went on the Second Crusade with King Louis. She was actually responsible for some of the worst screwups in Anatolia.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

YouTuber posted:

Eleanor of Aquitaine actually went on the Second Crusade with King Louis. She was actually responsible for some of the worst screwups in Anatolia.

Of course, the worst screwup being the sacking of Constantinople. By creating the Empire of Latium, they probably hastened the death of the Byzantine Empire by 200+ years.

On that note, I've noticed that the Latium vs Byzantine scenario is surprisingly lacking. Latium is titular empire, so the Empire of Byzantium just grinds it down to nothing.

The CK2+ mod really expanded on it with a few events plus also adding in a few new kings, plus the Empire of Nicea. Unfortunately, when I used the CK2+ mod (a while ago) it ran like poo poo and was kind of buggy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A religion dedicated to peaceful building? Where can I sign up?

Seriously, the religion mechanics sound all kinds of awesome. Add nice events like reincarnation into the mix and I can already tell that this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

A White Guy posted:

Of course, the worst screwup being the sacking of Constantinople. By creating the Empire of Latium, they probably hastened the death of the Byzantine Empire by 200+ years.

On that note, I've noticed that the Latium vs Byzantine scenario is surprisingly lacking. Latium is titular empire, so the Empire of Byzantium just grinds it down to nothing.

The CK2+ mod really expanded on it with a few events plus also adding in a few new kings, plus the Empire of Nicea. Unfortunately, when I used the CK2+ mod (a while ago) it ran like poo poo and was kind of buggy.

That was the fourth crusade, not the second.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A White Guy posted:

The Second Crusade has King Conrad and Louis VII of France marching through Anatolia and getting trounced by the Turks. Both the First and Second Crusade lost a good half if not 2/3rds of their men blundering around Anatolia because they were too cocky to listen to their Byzantine guides like Tatikios who had spent a lifetime fighting the Turks.

Eleanor of Aquitaine got about five thousand people in the baggage train killed because she ordered the first part of the army that was split into thirds moved off a windy plateau and into a valley of some sort if I recall. The general she had move the army never bothered to notify the other second segment of the army who proceeded to get ambushed by the turks. The second segment had enough brains to send people to alert the third portion of the army who then had to climb mountainous passes fully armored on horses to fight in the battle which nearly got Louis VII killed in the battle.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 11, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
That dev diary sounds great, though I wonder how many different gods they would include as your personal deity and how that works (I assume it would be in the intrigue menu).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Straight-up immaculate conception is also possible, since two chaste people can produce a child. In the early days of GoT you could have Hodor, with his -10000% fertility sire multiple children. I think it might have been a floating point error or something? Or just that a percentage multiplier like that cannot ever remove the base chance in totality. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

As far as GoT fertility bugs go, nothing will beat this:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I just picked up the collection for this game on the humble store, and I've put in about 12 hours as house Ua Brian. I've successfully united Ireland under one long ruler, and now his son is still holding things together, but he has a landed ambitious brother and eight siblings. I've enacted primogeniture but there's not enough land in Ireland to go around. What exactly do I do next? My goal was to become the king of ireland and now that I've done that and established a reasonably okay house I'm not sure what to do next.

Whats a more fun/less isolated but still not incredibly difficult faction to try? I was thinking about Kiev with the Rurikind duke.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Torrannor posted:

A religion dedicated to peaceful building? Where can I sign up?

As much as I like the thought of this, this also....concerns me. Everything to do with expanding the realm is pressed via war. The only way to get enough money that you can do all the improvements you want is by expanding the realm. Republics have Trade Posts, but these are more often than not a means to get a claim, and also a source of squabbling and murder to get the things to change hands. Getting tech that doesn't take forever and random chance(That is, the Spymaster 'Study Tech' and the associated event that gives you tech points) means holding a Duchy or better. Which usually means war.

How are they going to WORK?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bloodly posted:

As much as I like the thought of this, this also....concerns me. Everything to do with expanding the realm is pressed via war. The only way to get enough money that you can do all the improvements you want is by expanding the realm. Republics have Trade Posts, but these are more often than not a means to get a claim, and also a source of squabbling and murder to get the things to change hands. Getting tech that doesn't take forever and random chance(That is, the Spymaster 'Study Tech' and the associated event that gives you tech points) means holding a Duchy or better. Which usually means war.

Well, it seems as if you still get normal inheritable/forged claims, and de jure claims, only that you get basically no religious wars. It will probably be like playing a Catholic in a wholly Catholic world before SoA introduced begging the Pope for claims.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Does the Sunset Invasion DLC being activated guarantee that there will be an Aztec invasion, or is there only a chance it will happen? If I turn it off, will I have to start a new game or can I keep going?

Screenshot/map of my current game:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cityinthesea posted:

That dev diary sounds great, though I wonder how many different gods they would include as your personal deity and how that works (I assume it would be in the intrigue menu).

(note: this is based on 20th/21st century hinduism)

The "safe" option, which is probably the most reasonable and a good chance they'll do it, would be to restrict it to Shiva, Vishnu, and Shakti, who represent the most dominant devotional aspects of Hinduism. I'm not sure that it's worthwhile to try to explain, let alone implement, devotional worship of, say, Kali or Durga, who are aspects/forms of Shakti (except possibly as event scripts, which would be cool). On the other extreme, if they want to gently caress up really bad they'll include Brahma as an option.

Bloodly posted:

I think part of the idea with the Indian religions is that conversion between them won't be very hard, and that you can kind of adopt them as it fits your needs, if only on a ruler-by-ruler basis.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Does the Sunset Invasion DLC being activated guarantee that there will be an Aztec invasion, or is there only a chance it will happen? If I turn it off, will I have to start a new game or can I keep going?

In vanilla they will always invade, but if you're using CK2+ it's just a chance that it happens.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Bigger demense and happier vassals means you'll be able to extract more money from the realm you already have than other religions would, and you'll still be able to push claims to expand into your neighbors through marriage and occasional war. You'll just have to pay piety for your wars and deal with not having Holy Wars to make expansion super-easy. And if you really need it, characters can switch between the three religions via once-per-lifetime decisions.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You're guaranteed to have Aztecs if it's activated. If you turn it off before the event fires you won't get any Aztecs.

If I remember correctly the event starts sometimes around the 1340's or 50's.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mustang posted:

You're guaranteed to have Aztecs if it's activated. If you turn it off before the event fires you won't get any Aztecs.

If I remember correctly the event starts sometimes around the 1340's or 50's.

Does that apply if you're playing from the 860 start date? Since you get some events firing there about the Aztecs kidnapping Leif Eriksson and studying viking long boats.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Allyn posted:

You can't transfer dukes to a king unless it's their de jure liege, though.

I guess I just got lucky then. The Duke of Thrace was a vassal of the independent king of Georgia in my byz game and Georgia auto joined the Empire when one of my kinsmen inherited the throne. It stayed in the Empire even after the kinsmen was overthrown.

Sort of like how I got free navies forever from the Norse prepared invasion event when my ruler died during the preparation.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

Any other changes in exististing religions? (Beside the decadence fix)

Doomdark posted:

Quite a few little things. For example, Nestorianism is no longer a heresy, and has its own holy order.
Gonna be awesome.

Also, the de jure views are lovely. Totally going to crusade in the Orient and keep on crusading eastwards until I'm King of Bengal.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

TGLT posted:

Does that apply if you're playing from the 860 start date? Since you get some events firing there about the Aztecs kidnapping Leif Eriksson and studying viking long boats.

Yeah I'm pretty confident that as long as no Aztecs are already in your game that if you turn it off they won't invade.

Has anyone ever played around with a Roman cultured custom ruler? And if so were you able to get Roman culture to spread? I know there's a console event you can fire that switches your capital to your rulers culture.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Mustang posted:

Yeah I'm pretty confident that as long as no Aztecs are already in your game that if you turn it off they won't invade.

Has anyone ever played around with a Roman cultured custom ruler? And if so were you able to get Roman culture to spread? I know there's a console event you can fire that switches your capital to your rulers culture.

Yep. Just like you said, that event fired for me and I was able to spread my culture. I started as a hellenic roman Almos Arpad and was able to spread my religion all across Europe and the culture a bit too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mustang posted:

I had a custom Romanophile count overthrow Alexius I shortly after the Alexiade start and then gradually re-Latinized the Byzantine Empire while simultaneously conquering drips and drabs of Italy. I got as far as Romanizing Thessalonica before the Fourth Crusade happened (old CK2+ game) and I got my rear end kicked. Ended the game as a bitter Orthodox Roman Emperor in Ravenna, waiting for the right moment to kick the Pope's rear end when no one was looking.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of Roman Empire games, I have a question regarding one I'm doing right now. It started as a mere Wales game (Old God Start) with the idea of simply making Britannia. Things went normally, I took Ireland and then started slowly pushing into Scotland when one of my marriages laid claim to the Byzantine throne in the 1130s. I jumped at the chance and actually ended up winning the claim. Since then the Welsh Byzantine Empire grew and has become the Welsh Roman Empire. This is how it stands in 1321

Now, part of me wants to go maximum Trajan which would mean:

It'd be a bit of a rush but I could do it, but I want to take this into EUIV and while said game is a lot more painting your borders on the map than CK2 is in some ways; I don't want to just be broken as poo poo right from the start. One idea I had was something like a the tetrarchy that Emperor Diocletian had (2 Augustus and 2 Ceasers). It bordered the Roman Empire like this:

The problem is, I am not sure if that'd translate into EUIV that well.

So should I just consolidate what I have or should I just go for a mad push into France/Spain and take the remainder of the former Roman Empire?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
You could go maximum Trajan and then switch to another country in EU4, taking on the monstrosity you've created.

If you want to do the tetrarchy in EU4 you could use the Clauswitz scenario editor to make the Augustus regions independent but allied, with the Caesar regions vassals under their respective Augustus.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 11, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

How would ANYTHING be able to be a threat in EU IV with a fully reformed Roman Empire? I'd be they'd easily have more manpower than the next 10 nations combined.

However what's weird when I import a Roman Empire save into EU IV and turn on spectate the AI uses the decision to remake it back into the Byzantine Empire and then never fights any wars even though they have CBs.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mustang posted:

How would ANYTHING be able to be a threat in EU IV with a fully reformed Roman Empire? I'd be they'd easily have more manpower than the next 10 nations combined.

The AI would probably run it into the ground. If not, then hey at least it'll be a challenge!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

The Paradox Dev Diary posted:

This system limits your marriage options

I'm very hopeful about this, that it will allow you to set marriage maluses by trait. Not for the European aspects, but for mods that feature multiple races- like keeping Argonians from marrying non-Argonians in Elder Kings (because they can't have children, thus the line dies out).

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Farecoal posted:

If you want to do the tetrarchy in EU4 you could use the Clauswitz scenario editor to make the Augustus regions independent but allied, with the Caesar regions vassals under their respective Augustus.

How well would that work in being a balancing factor?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Farecoal posted:

How do you save a map image like this?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

How do you save a map image like this?

F10, it will save it in the Paradox Games Folder in Documents. It will be saved as a bmp file so convert to PNG or w/e before uploading.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Fandyien posted:

So I just picked up the collection for this game on the humble store, and I've put in about 12 hours as house Ua Brian. I've successfully united Ireland under one long ruler, and now his son is still holding things together, but he has a landed ambitious brother and eight siblings. I've enacted primogeniture but there's not enough land in Ireland to go around. What exactly do I do next? My goal was to become the king of ireland and now that I've done that and established a reasonably okay house I'm not sure what to do next.

Whats a more fun/less isolated but still not incredibly difficult faction to try? I was thinking about Kiev with the Rurikind duke.

Conquer Scotland! If you don't have enough troops right now, save money for mercs. Mercs + your troops should be enough for Scotland to bow down to your knees. Try to fablicate claims for duchies as this will speed things up enormously. To have a chance at claiming a duchy first get a skilled advisor (Requires 15+ diplo), then post him at duchy that is fully under control of one person (As in for example a duke completely owning Flanders by having Brugge and Gent as personal holdings, and the rest of it as vassals) and put it on the Duchy capital.

Once you have conquered Scotland, England will not be a problem. If you still have trouble though save money for mercs again and conquer England. Once you own all of it, become the emperor and hand out king titles for extra difficulty/fun as I personally tend to get bored once I've become the emperor of Brittania.

As for other fun/less isolated starts I would NOT suggest the Rurikid's. They all have claims on each other and it will require a lot of intrigue on your part to survive/conquer your claims. Instead I suggest the Hungarians in 867, they start with a massive army and will have no problem conquering neighbours for the coming years, which should get you enough land to survive once the army from the start is depleted.

In the 1067 start I suggest Matilda of Tuscany. You start with a TON of personal holdings and you will be an absolute powerhouse. You should aim to get all of Italy. Once you've got that become the king/queen of Italy and try to succeed in a indepence revolt or go and conquer Africa! She has a lot of interesting oppurtunities.

If you like conquering and managing a large empire, def. go for the Hungarian start. If you like to learn intrigue and go less easymode choose Matilda.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ageofbob posted:

I've put it aside for now, as I'm waiting for RoI to drop. I don't really want to add too much, because I'm afraid of feature/event bloat and stuff being broken by the patch.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Also bonus culture map. I think I've ruined the world a little:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SkySteak posted:

Also bonus culture map. I think I've ruined the world a little:

Yes, your Welsh ruined to world, pay no heed to the terrifying nomadic steppe warriors rampaging through Europe and the Middle East, nothing to see here.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The way they're balancing Jainism seems a little concerning, specifically the whole "flat bonus to vassal opinion" thing. That seems like the kind of thing that could be very hard to balance between uselessness and being OP. Not to mention that it kinda begs the question, if you have less options for wars, and internal strife is less of an issue, what exactly are you supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Yes, your Welsh ruined to world, pay no heed to the terrifying nomadic steppe warriors rampaging through Europe and the Middle East, nothing to see here.

I think the only real AI thing that could dampen the Ilkhanate would be the Timurids. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I may seize one more title then semi fracture the Empire. Despite it's early importance and mid game focus, Britannia being neglected a bit could prove to be a interesting reason for area to break off and be its own horrifying hybrid.

• Locked thread