Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
No problem. Oddly enough, I've just finished a rewatch of Ultraviolet. It still holds up very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

zombieman posted:

No problem. Oddly enough, I've just finished a rewatch of Ultraviolet. It still holds up very well.

Yeah, this is definitely it, thank you. Just found the scene towards the end of the first episode. The aesthetic is not exactly what I thought it was (the opening stuff is... interesting), but I'll give it a watch because it looks pretty well acted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zombieman posted:

And it crosses over with True Blood!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

b0nes posted:

The other one was maybe set in France(?) this composer hires an assistant and the assistant kills him. They may have been lovers.

Going to guess 'Merci pour le chocolat'- concert pianist goes back to first girlfriend after his wife's mysterious death. Brings along his son. Girl appears, claiming to be the pianist's daughter. Poisonings may or may not ensue.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ok I think this one may be a doozy because my memory of it is extremely vague. Probably early to mid 80s, and all I seem to remember is a quasi-futuristic setting, and this guy playing the piano while the protagonists were stuck in something like quicksand. I almost think the piano had something to do with them sinking. Feel free to declare me insane.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Barbarella maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J04gTJvynjg

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Hello. I was hoping there would be a thread of this kind because a certain film has been bugging me.

I only saw the last 5-10 minutes of it some years ago so I cannot give too many details. The film is in color. Judging by the visuals it was made in the 90s or early 00s. The little dialogue that I saw was probably in Italian, Spanish or Portuguese. Then again I could be completely wrong and it might have been an English language film. Anyway I gather it was a gangster film of some kind.

Now as I remember the events: the setting of this end sequence was a rural village, most probably in southern Europe. There is a man, who I assume was the main character, and a funeral going on. He approaches the casket lying on a table outside. He is an uninvited guest, the people attending the funeral a short distance away. An old woman, the mother of the deceased, cries out in anguish "he is defiling the memory of my son!" (presumably a reference to something that happened earlier). One of the men, a guy with long curly hair, perhaps the brother of the dead man, approaches the first man and stabs him. All the men are wearing black suits. The picture has a heavy sepia tone throughout.

Now, as far as I remember, the rest of the movie, some several minutes, consist of a somewhat surreal scene of the first man hobbling and crawling through the deserted village, bleeding heavily. Probably he dies in the end.

Almost any part of what I said above could be false as my memory of it is somewhat dreamlike by now. Thanks for reading and thanks for anyone who could suggest what the film was.

EDIT: Replying to below: unfortunately not; I saw the part a few years before that film was made.

d64 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 31, 2014

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

d64 posted:

Hello. I was hoping there would be a thread of this kind because a certain film has been bugging me.

I only saw the last 5-10 minutes of it some years ago so I cannot give too many details. The film is in color. Judging by the visuals it was made in the 90s or early 00s. The little dialogue that I saw was probably in Italian, Spanish or Portuguese. Then again I could be completely wrong and it might have been an English language film. Anyway I gather it was a gangster film of some kind.

Now as I remember the events: the setting of this end sequence was a rural village, most probably in southern Europe. There is a man, who I assume was the main character, and a funeral going on. He approaches the casket lying on a table outside. He is an uninvited guest, the people attending the funeral a short distance away. An old woman, the mother of the deceased, cries out in anguish "he is defiling the memory of my son!" (presumably a reference to something that happened earlier). One of the men, a guy with long curly hair, perhaps the brother of the dead man, approaches the first man and stabs him. All the men are wearing black suits. The picture has a heavy sepia tone throughout.

Now, as far as I remember, the rest of the movie, some several minutes, consist of a somewhat surreal scene of the first man hobbling and crawling through the deserted village, bleeding heavily. Probably he dies in the end.

Almost any part of what I said above could be false as my memory of it is somewhat dreamlike by now. Thanks for reading and thanks for anyone who could suggest what the film was.

Kind of a long shot, but it wasn't The American starring George Clooney was it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440728/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

This is probably what it was. What I saw as a kid (why the hell was I watching Barbarella?) was most likely censored too.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ZenMaster posted:

This thread has given me the answers to my greatest mysteries, and I thought of one more: probably 80s and very early 90s. A village of people [possibly Tahiti or some other tropical place] is sick with some disease and everyone is burning up with fever. A doctor is caring for the people and they all decide to run down the beach in the night and jump in the ocean to cool off. The doctor is yelling and begging them to stop but they don't and all start swimming. Then it cuts to the next morning and their bodies are all over the beach. Seemed to be about the doctor, no idea if it a true story or not. Ideas? Haunts me to this day...

Sorry if I missed it, I read through all of the most recent pages since my post, just seeing if anyone else might know what this movie was... thanks!

Just random googling leads me to this: http://treatyrepublic.net/node/651

Which sounds similar to what happened in the film, but I can't find a film about that incident.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 3, 2014

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

d64 posted:

EDIT: Replying to below: unfortunately not; I saw the part a few years before that film was made.

I want to say there was a scene like that in Zorba the Greek.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0057831/

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Help me out with this one, please, should be easy. An old movie about a boy whose only accomplishment over the summer was he developed his ability to hold his breath for a long time, gets caught in some kind of espionage scene, his ability to hold his breath winds up saving his life, ta-da, hero. Probably 1960s or so. Could even be Disney for all I know.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

SnakePlissken posted:

Help me out with this one, please, should be easy. An old movie about a boy whose only accomplishment over the summer was he developed his ability to hold his breath for a long time, gets caught in some kind of espionage scene, his ability to hold his breath winds up saving his life, ta-da, hero. Probably 1960s or so. Could even be Disney for all I know.

You might be thinking of "How I Spent My Summer" from 1967. Can't seem to find a proper plot synopsis except for this one, but the comments do mention that one of the main plot points is the main character's ability to hold his breath.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

General Venereal posted:

You might be thinking of "How I Spent My Summer" from 1967. Can't seem to find a proper plot synopsis except for this one, but the comments do mention that one of the main plot points is the main character's ability to hold his breath.

Yes indeed, you're good. This appears to be it, also apparently known as "Deadly Roulette, How I spent my Summer Vacation". Only copy I see for sale offhand is on ebay, $39, not even TCM is selling it. Made for TV in 1967, good job finding that joint for me. Oh, and the review you linked links to another review, maybe more informative. Starring young Robert Wagner and Jill St. John. Haven't actually seen it, just had it described for me years ago. Nice job.

ED: Sorry if I spoiled it, I was just reciting what little I could remember.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 7, 2014

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--
Okay, this one's a really fuzzy memory from about 20 years back. It was this cartoon we watched in health class where a boy and possibly a dragon learned about the dangers of alcohol (and possibly other drugs). I remember what I'm almost certain was a female blue bird singing in a raspy Marlene Dietrich voice this song where she just kept crooning "ALCOHOOOOOOL!" I also seem to remember the boy and his companion then singing about the walls crumbling down and the bar around them collapsed. Huge points if you know what in the world this cartoon that has haunted me for years is.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Line from a movie that's been in my head. I think maybe Samuel L Jackson is being held at gunpoint when his phone rings. The other guy says not to answer it, they argue, and finally SLJ (if that's who it is) says "Shoot if you're gonna shoot, I have to answer this call".

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

That's from Die Hard 3, he has to answer the payphone in the subway to stop a bomb.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Line from a movie that's been in my head. I think maybe Samuel L Jackson is being held at gunpoint when his phone rings. The other guy says not to answer it, they argue, and finally SLJ (if that's who it is) says "Shoot if you're gonna shoot, I have to answer this call".

It's Samuel L. in Die Hard With A Vengeance.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

drat, double answered in 4 min. Thanks!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok, so I just watched The Breakfast Club. I was enjoying it as usual and was bracing for the emotional impact when one of the kids died. Boy was I thrown for a loop when the credits started rolling and nobody had died. I seemed to remember the ending being similar, but as Bender walked into the sunset they faded in a memorial page in the school yearbook for one of the kids who had died earlier in the film as Don't You Forget About Me was playing in the background. Normally I would have chalked this up to just remembering wrong, but I can't explain how I remember this imagery so clearly.

My question is, Does anyone know of a movie similar to Breakfast Club, except someone dies and they show a memorial yearbook page as the final shot? Sorry if this is an odd question, but it's really killing me.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Less than Zero?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh, it wasn't a movie. It an old episode of Family Guy that parodied Breakfast Club. That explains why I thought it was from the movie. I seriously could have sworn that the geeky kid died toward the end. Figures I would remember where it was from an hour after I posted a question about it in the thread.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I watched Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon at the recommendation of a friend. Great movie that really hits all the right notes as a meta-commentary of the slasher genre. My favorite part was the one chick yelling out "So this is my fault because I'm sexually active?.

The thing is though that I think my friend might have been confused about it because he told me things happened in the movie that I never saw. He said it was a tongue in cheek documentary about their tricks of the trade for slashers.

How they look like they're walking after their victim but the moment the victim looks away the killer starts sprinting or pulls out a skateboard. What movie was he talking about?

Edit:
There was a Freddy Kruger cameo mentioned as well. A clip of a man hidden under shadows for anonymity. Says something like "I can't tell you who I am or I'd be in big trouble." He then goes to ash a cigarette and you can see the claws of his glove.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 9, 2014

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Volume posted:

So I watched Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon at the recommendation of a friend. Great movie that really hits all the right notes as a meta-commentary of the slasher genre. My favorite part was the one chick yelling out "So this is my fault because I'm sexually active?.

The thing is though that I think my friend might have been confused about it because he told me things happened in the movie that I never saw. He said it was a tongue in cheek documentary about their tricks of the trade for slashers.

How they look like they're walking after their victim but the moment the victim looks away the killer starts sprinting or pulls out a skateboard. What movie was he talking about?

Edit:
There was a Freddy Kruger cameo mentioned as well. A clip of a man hidden under shadows for anonymity. Says something like "I can't tell you who I am or I'd be in big trouble." He then goes to ash a cigarette and you can see the claws of his glove.

I haven't seen it, but there's a Belgian movie with a similar plot called Man Bites Dog. I have no idea about the Freddy cameo though.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The walk-run thing is in a deleted scene on the DVD. Maybe your friend watched it and misremembered it as being in the film itself. Robert Englund is in the movie, not as Freddy, but as someone hunting down Leslie Vernon. Maybe the Freddy thing happened in another movie and your friend put it in this one because Englund is in it and also because of the nature of the film.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've never seen the whole movie, just a scene on Youtube and now I can't find it at all. It's a black and white comedy that takes place during WW2. A truck full of soldiers are passing through an American checkpoint and they have to prove they're not Germans, so the guards manning the checkpoint pose a bunch of questions about American pop culture like "What's Ted Williams' batting average?" or "What's a jalopy?"

I want to say Sterling Hayden is in that scene, but I'm sure that's just Dr. Strangelove screwing up my memory.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Lester Shy posted:

I've never seen the whole movie, just a scene on Youtube and now I can't find it at all. It's a black and white comedy that takes place during WW2. A truck full of soldiers are passing through an American checkpoint and they have to prove they're not Germans, so the guards manning the checkpoint pose a bunch of questions about American pop culture like "What's Ted Williams' batting average?" or "What's a jalopy?"

I want to say Sterling Hayden is in that scene, but I'm sure that's just Dr. Strangelove screwing up my memory.

This is a scene from Battleground. Not a comedy.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Which movie ends with a scene where the guy shoots the villain with a flare gun and they explode, and then it freezes on the explosion and text comes up explaining that the main character turned himself into the police, roll credits?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Which movie ends with a scene where the guy shoots the villain with a flare gun and they explode, and then it freezes on the explosion and text comes up explaining that the main character turned himself into the police, roll credits?

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ32JchVno

I think the film is Blood Debts.

Bonus clip from a different film starring the guy with the flare gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqql30HE0To

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I'm looking for 70s-80s era movies with night-time explosions. Preferably, a house exploding. Think Lethal Weapon house explosion, only not in the middle of the day.

So far all I can think of are The Thing and First Blood, neither of which are houses, but they'll work in a pinch. Any ideas?

vvv Yeah 90s is cool too.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 10, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Slim Killington posted:

I'm looking for 70s-80s era movies with night-time explosions. Preferably, a house exploding. Think Lethal Weapon house explosion, only not in the middle of the day.

So far all I can think of are The Thing and First Blood, neither of which are houses, but they'll work in a pinch. Any ideas?

Commando has dozens of buildings exploding. Here's a clip from Last Action Hero with an exploding house. 90s but probably still counts.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Slim Killington posted:

This clip from Phantasm II has a night-time house explosion at around the 04:20 mark.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That wide shot is exactly what I need – thanks a lot!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SaintFu posted:

This is a scene from Battleground. Not a comedy.

That's it, thanks! I guess it was funnier in my head.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Slim Killington posted:

What About Bob has a house explosion at night.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

codyclarke posted:

What About Bob has a house explosion at night.

Nice, I'll pull it and scrub for that part tonight. Thanks!

Helicoprion
Oct 31, 2010
Im looking for the name of a movie late 90s early 2000s. Its about a young guy,hes running from the police for the murder of his girlfriend(I think) he meets a black dude who says he will help him out. but the black dude turns out to be the real killer and tries to pin the murder or murders on the young guy. I also remember it ends with a train in the snow. Its kinda like the Hitcher but its not.

I would be really gratefull if someone could id this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slim Killington posted:

Thief has a house exploding and a bar exploding, both at night. It happens about 8-10 minutes before the end of the movie.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's not at night (unless you want to do some colour tinting) but, gently caress yeah, the ending to Antonioni's Zabriskie Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvqZPyFng0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

I have a very vague memory of a movie from the early-to-mid 80s featuring two people skiing down a hill, one chasing the other. The guy in back has a sickle (the handheld kind) and might be dressed kind of like the Grim Reeaper. There's a close up of the sickle held up against the sky and then it descends. I know I never watched the whole movie, that was just a clip they showed in a commercial on HBO for a Month of Horror Movies. I also "remember" the victim's head rolling down the hill, but since all I saw was a clip in a commercial, that's almost certainly my young mind filling in the blanks. In any case, that clip scared the crap out of me and I always had to close my eyes whenever that commercial played.