Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Mendrian posted:

You have to tell me now. I have to know, so I can then go back in time and stop it.

Having never read any Homestuck, from what I've seen said elsewhere, the way they describe Ligier the Green Sun in one of the shards is a Homestuck reference. Something about being green, and bigger than the universe, and so far away from the universe that it will end before it's light ever reaches it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lioness posted:

If I was writing Sidereals 3rd edition I'd consider removing Shun the Smiling Lady for the same reason as Raksi's baby eating because seriously 90% of the time I see "I hate Sidereals" it's that charm front and centre.

If I was writing Lunars 3rd, I'd keep Baby-Eating Raksi. She's really, really hateable. I'd just have her be utterly shunned by the Silver Pact because she eats loving babies, what are you stupid? And if they heard about some Solar/Lunar/Dragon-Blooded/Whatever that had just run in, punched her to death, and tossed her body off the balcony to be devoured by jungle-beasts, they'd send someone over with coffee cake and beer and say 'Wow, good job, we've hated that psycho bitch for a thousand years. You wanna be an honorary Lunar? We have really cool parties."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

I think I saw like one strip of this and it was a joke about Exalted martial arts training involving punching a river in half. What horrors am I missing?

I'd like to know as well. I read and actually liked Keychain.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

slut chan posted:

Having never read any Homestuck, from what I've seen said elsewhere, the way they describe Ligier the Green Sun in one of the shards is a Homestuck reference. Something about being green, and bigger than the universe, and so far away from the universe that it will end before it's light ever reaches it.

The actual quote, from the Exalted Modern shard, first paragraph under the header Ligier:

"The Demon Emperor's impossible heart, a green sun twice the mass of the universe, blazes outside the bounds of time and space. Every other star in the cosmos will dwindle to an icy cinder before a single ray of its emerald light reaches Creation."

As Homestuck references go it is fairly badass, and hell, Ligier was a green sun ages before Andrew Hussie put cursor to Photoshop. (Wow. Literally. I just checked -- Hussie did Jailbreak in 2006; Games of Divinity came out in 2002.) I don't think we have anymore planned, though. And, yeah, I may joke about kawaii ugu (or whateverthefuck) on the Internet but I don't do it in the books.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 11, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

I think I saw like one strip of this and it was a joke about Exalted martial arts training involving punching a river in half.

That'd be this one then.

I loved Keychain of Creation back when it was updating, but I'll try not to sperg out too much. My avatar is from here, and my favorite one is probably the end of this one.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I too have no idea what this misanthrope has against Keychain. Please make Peregrine Kaan the new Signature Daybreak.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 11, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

ActingPower posted:

That'd be this one then.

I loved Keychain of Creation back when it was updating, but I'll try not to sperg out too much. My avatar is from here, and my favorite one is probably the end of this one.

My favorite was the fair folk story arc

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

My favorite was Revlid's fancomic about Flame.

Lioness
Feb 6, 2014

Ratoslov posted:

If I was writing Lunars 3rd, I'd keep Baby-Eating Raksi. She's really, really hateable. I'd just have her be utterly shunned by the Silver Pact because she eats loving babies, what are you stupid? And if they heard about some Solar/Lunar/Dragon-Blooded/Whatever that had just run in, punched her to death, and tossed her body off the balcony to be devoured by jungle-beasts, they'd send someone over with coffee cake and beer and say 'Wow, good job, we've hated that psycho bitch for a thousand years. You wanna be an honorary Lunar? We have really cool parties."
I probably wouldn't find that a productive use of space in the book. I mean unless you went full Deathlord with her but that has its own problems.

Lioness fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 11, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think there's room for "Raksi the depraved and debauched elder Lunar sorceress-queen who rules through fear and intimidation and whose dark appetites are an affront to those who still possess any scrap of decency, civilized or Wyld-man alike," and who exists to be a threat that players will gladly aim themselves towards as Step X of making Creation a less lovely place.

I think there's room for "Raksi the cunning manipulator who weaves a guise of theatrical barbarity to fool those who would work against her into underestimating her intellect and calculating ruthlessness," and who exists mainly for the reason above, though this also opens certain less immediately-violent avenues.

In neither case do you need to go into any sort of specific detail re: atrocities and the exact nature thereof.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lioness posted:

I probably wouldn't find that a productive use of space in the book. I mean unless you went full Deathlord with her but that has its own problems.

I don't know. I don't find the idea of a monster/monstrous person that eats children as something particularly terrible, if only because when I think of her my mind goes to the witch from Hansel and Gretel. Is a woman that entraps children with promises of candy, before killing and eating them problematic? Very much, yes. But its also been deemed fit to be to told to children since the 1800s.

Its not nearly as bad as say, a lot of other stuff in Exalted, I think.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Well at least baby-eating isn't as bad as all the rape and bestiality." While perhaps technically correct, when you've reached the point where this is a thing that you're having to argue, when "baby-eating" is the hill you've decided to plant your flag on, that's maybe when you should know it's time to step back and reassess some things.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

"Well at least baby-eating isn't as bad as all the rape and bestiality." While perhaps technically correct, when you've reached the point where this is a thing that you're having to argue, when "baby-eating" is the hill you've decided to plant your flag on, that's maybe when you should know it's time to step back and reassess some things.

I'm planting flags? The point I'm trying to make is that even small children are exposed to stories about monsters eating children. It's kind of a thing with fairy tale crap, Kai. The monsters tend to kill and/or eat children. And even when they don't succeed, its implied that they kind of have a history with this sort of thing.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Is anyone actually planning on playing 3rd edition when it comes out?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sexpansion posted:

Everyone except Stephenls.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sexpansion posted:

I'd love to, if I had any idea when it was going to come out or any concrete examples of what it was supposed to look like when it eventually does. Right now I just have a post-it note that says "Liminals will be cool. 2016?18?dead?" as a campaign framework, though.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Sexpansion posted:

The moment I have a set of rules in my hands, my group is ready to go - they've already got character ideas prepared. Where's my "will stab people for playtest access" sign?

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Sexpansion posted:

I'm playing in a game that's been going on for 5-6 years now. Frustration with the 2E engine went high enough that we jettisoned it for FATE, but it's within the realm of possibility that we could go back to 3E if the mechanics are really good and I don't have to rewrite half of all Lunar mechanics for my character to be functional as something other than a raging barbarian werewolf. We'll see.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Sexpansion posted:

I have a bunch of stuff I've been working on so I can run a Solar game on the Blessed Isle when it comes out. In fact, I was planning on starting it two months ago.

Lioness
Feb 6, 2014

Bedlamdan posted:

I don't know. I don't find the idea of a monster/monstrous person that eats children as something particularly terrible.
That's not the reason I wouldn't give her space in the book.

Bedlamdan posted:

if only because when I think of her my mind goes to the witch from Hansel and Gretel. Is a woman that entraps children with promises of candy.
That's very close though.
The Lunar elder who is a monster without any redeeming characteristics to the point that the Silver Pact would respond to you killing her by congratulating you? That belongs in a monster manual equivalent rather than stealing book space from the Lunar Exalted you can actually interact with.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

I would like to, if only to test drive the new mechanics. We had an Apotheosis-style game revolving around Gem that never got off the ground, and a joke one-shot that we called "The Arborean Age" that was going to be our 3E test; the new map actually put a giant ocean in the south-east right where we were planning to set things, which got a few laughs at the time.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Sexpansion posted:

Hopefully.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sexpansion posted:

Well, I'm already playing testing it right now so I hope so.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sexpansion posted:

Yep. Playing, running, the whole gamut. Unless the mechanics are trash in which case I'll just do a FATE hack in the Exalted setting :p

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Yep. Playing, running, the whole gamut. Unless the mechanics are trash in which case I'll just do a FATE hack in the Exalted setting :p

This. I've got a 6 year campaign worth of backstory to build on in-case the included fluff is poo poo, but I am curious to see if StephenLS et al come up with some interesting riffs for me to steal appropriate for my 4th age game. :shobon:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Sexpansion posted:

I'll probably give it a shot. If it turns out I can't get down with the rules, I've always got my Cortex+ hack to fall back on.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

Got a chronicle ripping off the premise but not the boring execution of the Aeneid ready.

e: btw that's my major problem with the tropes and keychain of creation; read a chapter book Exalted creators/writers like an adult and not an internet person.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 12, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mexcillent posted:

Got a chronicle ripping off the premise but not the boring execution of the Aeneid ready.

So making it more like Homestuck then?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

So making it more like Homestuck then?

Yes.

Wait they're refugees from a destroyed city in Homestuck?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know we're all talking about third edition, but I'm wondering if someone could tell me how 1st edition is. I've never played Exalted before, but I've heard alot about it. Someone is selling alot of their rpg books in the SA Mart, I noticed the Exalted Player's Guide was available -- which I assume is all you need to play the game if you're ok with just being a Solar -- and thought "hey, probably cheaper there than else, why not try it?" I've also heard the mechanics for 2nd edition were very wonky so I'm just wondering if 1st edition was better somehow. You know, if anyone doesn't mind filling me in.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mexcillent posted:

Yes.

It's a destroyed reality, but close enough, really

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Mexcillent posted:

Yes.

Gotta be honest, I don't really even know what Homestuck is. Just that it's apparently it's more epic than Gilgamesh.

Covok posted:

I know we're all talking about third edition, but I'm wondering if someone could tell me how 1st edition is. I've never played Exalted before, but I've heard alot about it. Someone is selling alot of their rpg books in the SA Mart, I noticed the Exalted Player's Guide was available -- which I assume is all you need to play the game if you're ok with just being a Solar -- and thought "hey, probably cheaper there than else, why not try it?" I've also heard the mechanics for 2nd edition were very wonky so I'm just wondering if 1st edition was better somehow. You know, if anyone doesn't mind filling me in.

1st was better in a lot of ways IMO, but the Players Guide is definitely not all you need yo play. You want the core rulebook for that. The Players Guide is a bunch of optional extras.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 12, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

poo poo double post sorry.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Mmmmmaybe, there was talk in the group to restart an old Solar campaign we were doing for a while before the ST lost his notes but I don't think we have anything solid planned just yet. I guess it all depends on when the thing actually comes out and how it looks.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's a destroyed reality, but close enough, really

God drat it.

e: I'm not saying that I think my E3 game will be more epic than the Aeneid only that it sucks compared to the Iliad and Odyssey.

e2: Has anyone ever had the idea of making the entirety of Heaven/The Unconquered Sun/Games of Divinity/Hell/Yozi/etc. a huge elaborate Sidereal lie put together after the First Age?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Yeah, I'll probably run a thing for my group in 3e. I like a lot of the setting stuff they've presented, been profoundly disappointed by some of it, like a lot of what they've been implying about the system. I'm not going to totally write the thing off until I try it for myself. My group all like the general premise of Exalted, that hasn't changed. The chronicle will be about, if my pattern recognition for who I play with is working correctly, about former child soldiers, ex-slaves, dispossessed serfs, oppressed minorities, etc., how they gain incredible power, and how they use that power to strangle kings with the entrails of priests. If 3e lets me do that without throwing the book at the wall, I'll be good.

So, yeah. 3e is when they get to try, for one last time, to convince me that FAE/FATE is not my preferred system for the setting.

Mexcillent posted:

e: btw that's my major problem with the tropes and keychain of creation; read a chapter book Exalted creators/writers like an adult and not an internet person.

Or to be pithy about it: Less Final Fantasy's Ultima, more Bless Me, Ultima.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

BryanChavez posted:

Or to be pithy about it: Less Final Fantasy's Ultima, more Bless Me, Ultima.

That's Mage, though.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Sexpansion posted:

Plan to run a bunch of mortals doing odd-jobs for a wizard in a big city. Test out if the base game's been made truly fun.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

First edition Exalted was, in my opinion, better than 2nd Edition though it absolutely had its flaws too. The big advantage, to my mind, is that 1st Edition's setting and fluff wasn't "overengineered" the way it became in 2E, where the writers seemingly had a mandate to elaborate on things in exhaustive, frequently unnecessary or unhelpful detail, along with ramping up the whole "magitech" angle to the point where instead of being a clever little detail of First Age society that apparently some of the advanced magic was indistinguishable from technology it turned out the First Age was a sci-fi setting of motonic physics and AI robots. Also 1st Edition more openly acknowledged inspiration from sources like the Mahabharata, Greek myth, Heroes of the Water Margin, etc. while 2E leaned more closely towards "You like anime? Have some anime!"

1E felt "cleaner" in a lot of ways, and I don't mean content-wise (though it was that too...no Lillun, though it still had some issues elsewhere), not as trod-upon. Mechanically it was...the Storyteller system trying to do high wuxia fantasy action, so it wasn't significantly better in that regard. Lunars in 1E were something of both a mechanical and conceptual low-point, a book full of disappointing, lackluster charms with Exalted's very own "Prone Shooter" analogue, and a presentation that boiled down to "Rarrrr barbarianssssss oh also bear rape in mind." The other Exalt tomes were generally considered decent to good.

I don't think I could go back to Exalted 1E even though, at the time it was new, I was a huge fan. Between generally having been much of my enthusiasm eroded over the years and the fact that it is still a clunky, chunky system for something that needs to be fast-paced and action-packed, I don't think I'll be looking to revisit it as a nostalgia trip or something. Still, my memories of 1E Exalted are on the good end of things, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
The big problem of 2e, in my estimation, is that they thought people really loved the setting and decided to just keep banging on the same setting elements again and again and again until it became really clear that intense scrutiny/self referential writing and rewriting the same NPCs and locales isn't worldbuilding but literally just like huge gross and awful fan culture generation.

If there's an Exalted4 I'm pretty sure it will run Exalted3 into the ground.

• Locked thread