Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

From wikipedia:

Oh jeez this does not look good for you my friend. Are you sure it's wikipedia's definition that is "moronic" and not your own? Why do you disagree with them on this? I'm not sure you understand what "definition" means here. The "definition" of a word isn't what you and you alone think the word means. Society as a whole has to come together and agree on what a word means. That is how the definition gets made. It doesn't matter if you think it means something different.

Look, I'm sorry "middle class" doesn't mean what you what it to mean, and the rest of the world has a different definition. That is not my problem. Are you sure it's everyone else but you that is a moron here though?

A household (of two) where each person makes between $10-$45 an hour is "middle class".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

A household (of two) where each person makes between $10-$45 an hour is "middle class".

Yeah, I don't get what this low effort post means. Are you agreeing with Wikipedia? Are you disagreeing? Help me out here.

\/\/\/ "Middle Class" is an economic term with a very real and important definition. computer parts was confused as to what it meant, so I posted wikipedias definition for him. He never asked me "my opinion" on anything, he asked for an actual definition. If he wants to critique wikipedia definitions that's fine, but I don't think this is the right thread. There is a "conspiracy theory" thread somewhere in D&D he might feel more comfortable in.

GuyDudeBroMan fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 12, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Remember, internet discussion forum... Please share YOUR opinions, not cut/pastes off wikipedia.

lol, well played

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Look I get it you guys. The argument here is that "ideological consistency has no place in formulating government policy. It is far more important to be able to smoke weed right now today than to have to worry about things like legal precedent, or being ideologically consistent"
If spewing this patronizing bullshit doesn't get you probated right after you got through dismissing my painstaking attempts at explaining dual soverignty with "hurf durf who cares about legal precedent I want opinions man" then seriously, why the gently caress do we have mods. Does it take goatse these days, or is it like CNN where if we're hard up for dissent on a given subject poo poo posters get graded on a curve?

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 12, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If I were a mod when I made the initial belittling and dismissing response to gaydudebro, I would have probated him for a week and banned anyone who responded to him.

C'est la vi! I guess.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Elotana posted:

That hasn't been my only argument at all. I've already given you the Con Law 101 lesson on how cannabis federalism is going to work and why it is or isn't distinguished from other issues you posed under current law under very basic, well-known 10th and 14th precedent. I haven't said a single thing about my personal ideology. Try reading instead of projecting.

(The answer is yes, unless X is something that is not merely permitted federally but declared a basic right such as contraception drugs.)

No one asked you for a con law 101 lesson. That is you butting into our discussion on how we think an ideal society should be set up. Why won't you tell us your personal opinion? Again, discussion board, not r/con_law_study_guide. Tell us your opinion so we may discuss it.

Federal Government passes a law legalizing gay marriage. Colorado passes a law saying gay marriage is illegal. Forget what would happen right now today in the USA. Tell us what you think SHOULD happen in an ideal society. No need to patronize us and cut/paste poo poo from Wikipedia. Tell us YOUR opinion.

\/\/\/ I guess I'm just having trouble seeing things from the eyes of a Ron Paul libertarian. Does calling Elizabeth Warren a conservative happen a lot in r/libertarianism?

GuyDudeBroMan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 12, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I kinda giggled at the hilariously transparent attempts at blending into a conservative's distorted idea of a liberal hive-mind believes (let's ban private schools, Saint Elizabeth Warren, etc)

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Federal Government passes a law legalizing gay marriage. Colorado passes a law saying gay marriage is illegal. Forget what would happen right now today in the USA. Tell us what you think SHOULD happen in an ideal society. No need to patronize us and cut/paste poo poo from Wikipedia. Tell us YOUR opinion.
My ideal society would still include a 14th Amendment or substantive equivalent, so that's not going to save you from reading my posts I'm afraid. Sorry :(

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2014

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Elotana posted:

My ideal society would still include a 14th Amendment or substantive equivalent, so that's not going to save you from reading my posts I'm afraid. Sorry :(

Holy cow, an opinion! Awesome!

1) Federal government creates law making X illegal. State passes law making X legal.
2) Federal government creates law making X legal. State passes law making X illegal.

How would your version of the 14th amendment deal with these contradictions? (jeez I'm gonna have to ctrl c this question. I keep asking it an no one wants to answer)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Federal government creates law making X illegal. State passes law making X legal. How would your version of the 14th amendment deal with this contradiction?
It's impossible to answer that question without knowing what X is. Federalism should be trumped, not by FEELS, but by equal protection, due process, and whatever else you want to incorporate into your own Bill of Rights. If X is, say, a Jim Crow law legalizing racial discrimination in hiring, then the state law is denying federal equal protection rights and should be nullified, by force if necessary. If X is, say, a ballot proposition legalizing the possession and sale of small amounts of cannabis, then the state law doesn't have any effect on federal rights and should stand, and in that case I basically agree with Printz where enforcement is concerned.

You aren't going to find many people here who would prefer a Constitution without at least equal protection, due process, and freedom of religion in the basic federal guarantees, so your slavery/gay marriage/creationism analogies are still pretty dumb from a "hey lets discuss our ideal society" perspective. Which you might notice is not the title of this thread.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 12, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Holy cow, an opinion! Awesome!

1) Federal government creates law making X illegal. State passes law making X legal.
2) Federal government creates law making X legal. State passes law making X illegal.

How would your version of the 14th amendment deal with these contradictions? (jeez I'm gonna have to ctrl c this question. I keep asking it an no one wants to answer)

Because different laws affect different things and the idea that the Federal Government should be in control of ALL LAW or NO LAW is so loving absurd oh god I can't believe I'm even replying to your stupid troll posts.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Also the Martian Federation The Democratic Republic Of Kaskadija (Seattle is an eternal part of Greater Kaskadija) is governed according to Full Communism as well as a degenerate Juche ideology, taking the procedural form of a coalition of the various First Nations, workers soviets, and local women's' councils, who work together to coordinate agricultural and industrial planning. In practice however the coalition is dominated by the relatives and allies of the Generalissimo.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Elotana posted:

It's impossible to answer that question without knowing what X is. Federalism should be trumped, not by FEELS, but by equal protection, due process, and whatever else you want to incorporate into your own Bill of Rights. If X is, say, a Jim Crow law legalizing racial discrimination in hiring, then the state law is denying federal equal protection rights and should be nullified, by force if necessary. If X is, say, a ballot proposition legalizing the possession and sale of small amounts of cannabis, then the state law doesn't have any effect on federal rights and should stand, and in that case I basically agree with Printz where enforcement is concerned.

You aren't going to find many people here who would prefer a Constitution without at least equal protection, due process, and freedom of religion in the basic federal guarantees, so your slavery/gay marriage/creationism analogies are still pretty dumb from a "hey lets discuss our ideal society" perspective. Which you might notice is not the title of this thread.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's almost like your saying we have a body of existing law and judges to interpret whether federal or state law takes precedent?? And imagine if we have a democratic system to pass such laws in the first place. That poo poo would be crazy.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
GuyDudeBroMan's hypo is especially obnoxious because it insists we consider things from first principles but then presupposes that everything would be functionally identical to the situation we find ourselves in, if we did so. As analysis it's useless because its completely ahistorical. As "pure theory" it's also useless because despite being ahistorical, it hews to its own history and ignores the broad spectrum of possibility. What a weird mistake to make.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
It's a very simple line of attack. He wants you to say that you either support Federalism and therefore support federal laws taking precedence over state laws, or he wants you to say you support "states' rights" and support state laws taking precedence over federal ones. If you support Federalism, then your position on state legalization of marijuana is irrational, and if you support "states' rights" then you're a racist who believes in slavery.

He keeps asking the question because he won't accept the answer of "I don't care about adhering to a strict Federalism or states' rights platform, I only care about the results or policies produced." And that is what everyone is responding with in one way or another because they are rational human beings that can accept shades of grey, especially in politics.

There, I have summarized and ended the derail. Now we can all ignore the troll and move on.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

He keeps asking the question because he won't accept the answer of "I don't care about adhering to a strict Federalism or states' rights platform, I only care about the results or policies produced." And that is what everyone is responding with in one way or another because they are rational human beings that can accept shades of grey, especially in politics.

He acknowledges it, he just turns it into this pile of poo poo:

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Look I get it you guys. The argument here is that "ideological consistency has no place in formulating government policy. It is far more important to be able to smoke weed right now today than to have to worry about things like legal precedent, or being ideologically consistent"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I actually do care about federalism to some extent, but his understanding of it is quite literally infantile. He also seems to think I'm a Paulbot because I called him out on his "I'm totally a liberal just like you guys!" overacting, which would be valid if this was the year 2007 (in which case I would still be a mod of D&D and could HIT THE GOD drat PROBATION BUTTON)

Elotana fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 12, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gaydudeman is completely unaware that our justice system is literally racist and thinks that adults smoking cannabis are a a much worse thing than blighting entire communities using the War on Drugs.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Actually he's probably loading a fat bowl before typing up his next response to you retards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

GuyDudeBroMan's hypo is especially obnoxious because it insists we consider things from first principles but then presupposes that everything would be functionally identical to the situation we find ourselves in, if we did so. As analysis it's useless because its completely ahistorical. As "pure theory" it's also useless because despite being ahistorical, it hews to its own history and ignores the broad spectrum of possibility. What a weird mistake to make.

It's almost like he's just trolling and you guys keep falling for it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seriously, I thought this thread was going to be a happy place where I can live vicariously through Co and Washington goons. Did you all lose your loving ignore button?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

\/\/\/ I guess I'm just having trouble seeing things from the eyes of a Ron Paul libertarian. Does calling Elizabeth Warren a conservative happen a lot in r/libertarianism?

The only thing that bothers me about your arguments is that you keep bringing up politicians that have nothing to do with legalization of pot in Washington or Colorado. Who cares what either of those politicians that shouldn't have any more say over popularly passed initiatives in states they have no reason to even be in.

What politicians say has almost nothing to do and almost nothing in common with what the general population usually actually wants, which is pretty evident by legalization of pot passing in these two states and other initiatives moving forward fairly rapidly in others. If you chose to base your opinions and ideas solely on what some politicians tell you than it doesn't matter what those ideas or opinions are, they are wrong regardless.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Reason posted:

The only thing that bothers me about your arguments is that you keep bringing up politicians that have nothing to do with legalization of pot in Washington or Colorado. Who cares what either of those politicians that shouldn't have any more say over popularly passed initiatives in states they have no reason to even be in.

What politicians say has almost nothing to do and almost nothing in common with what the general population usually actually wants, which is pretty evident by legalization of pot passing in these two states and other initiatives moving forward fairly rapidly in others. If you chose to base your opinions and ideas solely on what some politicians tell you than it doesn't matter what those ideas or opinions are, they are wrong regardless.

He wants everyone to be an unflinching ideologue without capacity for context & nuance, of course he's fascinated with authority figures.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Reason posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

It seems to be taken care of, now. Thanks evilweasel.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
The $7 million in state redcard money will be earmarked for research in marijuana therapeutics. I am looking forward to writing one of those grants and it makes my head absolutely spin. I care about stupid rear end legislation that is based on nothing and marijuana legislation is the peak of that. I care about examining it using evidence and then seeing it changed based on that evidence. It looks like we are going to have a chance to look at many of the positive claims that have been made in a rigorous way an report the results WITH the support of industry. That's huge but its because Colorado understands that doing it right RIGHT NOW will end this stupid argument once and for all.

This is an amazing time to be in Colorado.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Meanwhile, a small group of representatives are submitting a letter to the President asking for Holder to re-schedule or delist.

http://blumenauer.house.gov/images/stories/2014/02-12-14%20Blumenauer%20Rescheduling%20Letter.pdf

quote:

Classifying marijuana as Schedule I at the federal level perpetuates an unjust and irrational system. Schedule I recognizes no medical use, disregarding both medical evidence and the laws of nearly half of the states that have legalized medical marijuana. A Schedule I or II classification also means that marijuana businesses in states where adult or medical use are legal cannot deduct business expenses from their txes or take tax credits due to Section 280E of the federal tax code.

We request that you instruct Attorney General Holder to delis or classify marijuana in a more appropriate way, at the very least eliminating it from Schedule I or II. Furthermore, one would hope that your Administration officials publicly reflect your views on this matter. Statements such as the one from DEA chief of operations James L. Capra that the legalization of marijuana at the state level is "reckless and irresponsible serve no purposes other than to inflame passions and misinform the public.

Apologies for any typos.

I personally don't think anything will come of this, but I'm hopeful that more reps can throw their support behind re-scheduling.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Wouldn't marijuana have to be de-scheduled entirely in order to legalize it for recreational use? I thought the scheduled drugs, except for Schedule 1, were prescription only.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

rockinricky posted:

Wouldn't marijuana have to be de-scheduled entirely in order to legalize it for recreational use? I thought the scheduled drugs, except for Schedule 1, were prescription only.
Schedule V simply requires:
edit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/21/829

quote:

No controlled substance in schedule V which is a drug may be distributed or dispensed other than for a medical purpose.
To my knowledge this doesn't require a prescription necessarily, but states have their own schedule system (that typically mirrors the federal one), and I believe states sometimes require prescriptions. As an example, Washington allows purchase of Schedule V drugs without a prescription, but there are a bunch of rules that you have to follow found here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=246-887-030

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Schedule V is indeed not entirely prescription-only; some states make it such, which totally invalidates the point of Schedule V, but it's not required under federal law. That's why codeine cough syrup is available in some states with no prescription but not in others.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

rockinricky posted:

I'm interpreting "delist" as de-schedule from the letter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jazerus posted:

Schedule V is indeed not entirely prescription-only; some states make it such, which totally invalidates the point of Schedule V, but it's not required under federal law. That's why codeine cough syrup is available in some states with no prescription but not in others.

Arguably marijuana would belong in Schedule III or IV just based on its actual characteristics though.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Is alcohol scheduled at all or is it handled seperately entirely? what about tobacco? I've often wondered this. Could cannabis simply be placed in the same category as caffeine, nicotine, or tobacco?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is alcohol scheduled at all or is it handled seperately entirely? what about tobacco? I've often wondered this. Could cannabis simply be placed in the same category as caffeine, nicotine, or tobacco?
Neither alcohol or tobacco are on the scheduling system whatsoever, they have entirely separate legal rules. Cannabis could easily occupy a similar category, but it would require both the federal and state governments to move it off of the scheduling system first.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

computer parts posted:

Arguably marijuana would belong in Schedule III or IV just based on its actual characteristics though.

I disagree. There are still no recorded cases of death by marijuana overdose, which automatically makes it safer than every scheduled drug.

Marijuana does not belong in the same category as cocaine(II), ketamine(III), valium(IV), opium(V), or any other chemical regulated by the controlled substance act, period.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

RichieWolk posted:

I disagree. There are still no recorded cases of death by marijuana overdose, which automatically makes it safer than every scheduled drug.

Marijuana does not belong in the same category as cocaine(II), ketamine(III), valium(IV), opium(V), or any other chemical regulated by the controlled substance act, period.

How is ketamine higher than opium or Valium? Wtf.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RichieWolk posted:

Death is not the qualifier for being on the Controlled Substances Act.

goodness posted:

How is ketamine higher than opium or Valium? Wtf.

It's a date rape drug.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

computer parts posted:

It's a date rape drug.

Ha! What a load of poo poo.

The 'date rape' label is used primarily as a method of justifying the prohibitions on the non-therapeutic use of these substances.

Other labels that are used to scare the ignorant masses include:

Hard drug
Club drug
Designer drug
Synthetic drug

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 14, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

computer parts posted:

It's a date rape drug.

Just like alcohol is a date rape drug. There are a lot more things that would be better to use AND easier to get if you were going to do that.

It's more a club drug for raves or at higher doses for spiritual journeys/out of body experiences.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In other news, there's some buzz in the statehouse about legalization here in Illinois. We're so broke that it might be considered if medical goes well.

quote:

State Rep. Lou Lang (D-Skokie) said the state has to prove it can handle medical marijuana first after it was enacted last year.

“I would prefer to wait, just to make sure this rolls out correctly,” Lang said, after the huge tax revenues brought in by Colorado with the new year reignited the debate over legalization last week. “If this doesn’t roll out right, there’s no way full legalization is going to roll out.

“There will be some who want to jump the gun and propose it,” Lang added. “And there are some proposing a middle ground, where we don’t legalize it, necessarily, but we decriminalize it and make it a small misdemeanor. So there are a lot of different ideas out there.”

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

computer parts posted:

You're right, it's based on their potential to lead to physical dependence. I don't believe the crankiness of a heavy marijuana-user who quits cold turkey counts as physical dependence; not like what happens when someone addicted to opiates like codeine or vicodin goes through withdrawal. The potential for physical dependence isn't even close.

Compared to every other scheduled drug, marijuana is harmless. Marijuana has a slight risk for abuse, but probably not more than alcohol, which society is already fine with. Why shouldn't it be legalized and treated like another intoxicant for adults, why's it gotta be in a schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The qualifiers for being on the controlled substances act are basically cultural and historical more than anything. There's no rhyme or reason to it at all, just tradition. Addictive drugs ought to be controlled but legal and good treatment freely available to those who need it. Perhaps reroute money that goes to police attempts to eradicate the drugs into developing widespread education and addiction treament and research.

• Locked thread