Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

That Old Ganon posted:

I bought this game not too long ago and next thing I know I've sunk 40 hours into it. I've only got the Wall of Flesh left for bosses pre-hardmode, and I would like advice on what to prepare/stockpile before attempting that boss and activating hardmode.

The only thing I've been doing is planning the move of the house from underground to a bit into the sky.

For the love of god prepare your main biome to protect it from hallow/corruption. This involves digging/bombing a 3 tile wide (make it 5) gap separating your main biome from the rest. You see, when you kill the Wall of Flesh, two wide bands (one corruption, one hallow) will spread from the center of hell. Corruption and hallow will go overdrive. Corruption will actually tunnel below your sunflowers and start contaminating the underside of your biome.

You could make a castle in the sky but if you go too high you'll run into wyverns.

A couple of friends and me just entered hard mode for the first time and I have to admit it feels amazing going in this mad rush to try and quarantine biomes. We had two bomb statues on repeaters making bombs and just cut holes in biomes. We gave up trying to save anything but our main biome.

The herb garden idea is good. If you plan to use potions regularly, you'll need that. Just stash a chest full of components next to it. Remember some potions require ORE and not bars.

I would also create a water, honey, lava duplicator so you don't have to fiddle around with pumps too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
If you're apprehensive about starting hard mode it's worth rolling a new world and just blitzing through to the Wall of Flesh.

I wouldn't worry too much about gearing up for hard mode really, it'll be rough at first but I honestly didn't even have half the problems people seemed to be warning everyone about.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Hardmode is a good punch to the gut at first, but it's not bad for long. The two or three times I went through it, I just fought my way to the demon altars (with the occasional death or two), then mined down, found one ore, mirrored back to make a better drill, then repeated two more times before bothering with armor or anything. A hellevator is 90% of the mining infrastructure you need to get through the hardmode ore progression.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Enallyniv posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about gearing up for hard mode really, it'll be rough at first but I honestly didn't even have half the problems people seemed to be warning everyone about.
Same. The mushroom spear and frost armor set, which are pretty easily obtained right from the get go, will get anyone through a lot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

1.2 really killed the hardmode progression that everyone talks about preparing for.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got a Razorpine from my first go at the Frost Moon which summarily fueled my next goes at the Frost Moon and also the Pumpkin Moon and now I finally have the spider pet I wanted.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I feel like progression in general is kind of hosed in 1.2. 1.0 was interesting because no matter what area you were in, or what you were fighting, you were essentially gathering component parts to build something better. The "advanced" armors weren't strict ore tier progressions, and offered options for builds.

1.1 made everything very stratified, and took out a lot of the variety in builds by giving three different helmets for each set. 1.2 just sort of threw in a bunch of really cool stuff, but tied it all to the RNG instead of making it craftable.

At least with the 1.0 stuff like Jungle Armor, I could spend 2 hours in the Jungle and get enough Stingers/Pollen/whatever to craft a full set of whatever I wanted. Now with the 1.2 stuff, I can spend 2 hours in a biome and come back empty handed, just because the RNG decided not to play ball. :\

Edit: spelling.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 31, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jungle Armor was Cobalt Armor in 1.0 and getting it was entirely up the the RNG.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sort of, Cobalt armor was patched out 2 weeks in and Jungle armor was made craftable a couple weeks later. The big 1.1 update didn't hit for another 6 months. Hell, most people probably wouldn't even recognize the game pre 1.06, when damage types, critical hits, regenerating mana and potion sickness were added, and that was well after release.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 29, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pretty sure mana regen was always in. They just changed how it works because it wasn't originally based on max mana, which also wasn't so variable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nope, you only regenerated mana with a band of starpower.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are you sure you aren't thinking of health?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the advice in what I should do. I hadn't considered making an herb garden or isolating the main biome. I had focused on making a mushroom biome on the surface already because when I first came across one underground, I thought: "I like the music here, but I don't want to come all the way back down." That's when I saw the screenshot of the mushroom surface biome and the rest is history. It's cool to know there'll be an actual use for it, though.

Enallyniv posted:

If you're apprehensive about starting hard mode it's worth rolling a new world and just blitzing through to the Wall of Flesh.

So the one character I have I can get to go to other worlds besides the first one created?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

That Old Ganon posted:

So the one character I have I can get to go to other worlds besides the first one created?

Yes, and this is quite usefull. You can do so to make a storage world, raid special areas in other worlds, clear cutting, ect. Its quite usefull to take advantage of.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is cool to know. Now I can commence planning my own cloud fortress by strip-mining foreign floating islands.

Just out of curiosity, what's the multiplayer like?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

That Old Ganon posted:

It's pretty great if you play alongside a friend or three, but the game doesn't lend itself to big, persistent, public servers anywhere near as well as something like minecraft. Connecting to people can also be a hassle since it's all done by direct IP and will likely require some port forwarding. Some people even have to set up hamachi to get it working.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

This is cool to know. Now I can commence planning my own cloud fortress by strip-mining foreign floating islands.

This was literally the first thing I did when 1.2.x added Cloud blocks to floating islands.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would using dungeon brick and wall for construction spawn monsters within the new building?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

That Old Ganon posted:

Would using dungeon brick and wall for construction spawn monsters within the new building?

The game considers player placed and generated dungeon brick/wall to be entirely separate items, so it shouldn't. If you pasted it in with a world editor and didn't take care to use the player placed variant, I imagine it would.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

That Old Ganon posted:

I built my house out of dungeon brick, no monsters yet.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I let the Hallow grow around my house, it isn't that bad. Not like anything there can open doors!

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GenericOverusedName posted:

I let the Hallow grow around my house, it isn't that bad. Not like anything there can open doors!
Speaking of which, I entered hardmode for the first time and holy moly, that Hallow is spreading like a wildfire. Does it spread so quickly in one direction, or both? Because I noticed that it overtook this desert in no time and it's going to start creeping on the jungle any second now, whereas on the other side, it seems to be taking its time. Then again, there's a natural cave there or something.

And there's nothing like minding my own business in the underground jungle and just barely seeing This is going to be a terrible night...

"What was that? Eh, whatever."

Then I get mauled by two eyeballs.

Or, You feel the air growing cold around you.

"Oh, is that new for the underground snow areas? :downs:"

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

That Old Ganon posted:

Speaking of which, I entered hardmode for the first time and holy moly, that Hallow is spreading like a wildfire. Does it spread so quickly in one direction, or both? Because I noticed that it overtook this desert in no time and it's going to start creeping on the jungle any second now, whereas on the other side, it seems to be taking its time. Then again, there's a natural cave there or something.

And there's nothing like minding my own business in the underground jungle and just barely seeing This is going to be a terrible night...

"What was that? Eh, whatever."

Then I get mauled by two eyeballs.

Or, You feel the air growing cold around you.

"Oh, is that new for the underground snow areas? :downs:"

Hallow won't spread into jungle but corruption or crimson will.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also Hallow spreads really fast along the surface, but pretty slow underground. Corruption/Crimson works the opposite way.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009
I've been pretty obsessed with this game lately, and just finished the Pumpkin Moon solo, with a melee build. I basically just stood still and let my Cursed Flames imbued Vampire Knives shred the Pumpkings to pieces. After about a dozen tries, and a bit of optimization, I finally got both the Pumpking and Mourning Wood trophies.

Is there any point in trying to solo the Frost Moon? The few times I've tried, I think I've killed maybe two Ice Queens.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Frost Moons are definitely meant for multiplayer. By yourself, you just can't do enough damage fast enough to make much progress before morning comes and ends the event. I had to have two friends help me in order to farm the Ice Queen's drops, and even then I don't think we ever reached the final wave.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, the FQ can drop some amazing stuff. The spear can carpet bomb an area, the blizzard staff is ridiculous and can let you solo the Pumpkin moon to the point where you get 30+ trophies in one go, the snowman cannon sounds like a homing rocket launcher, and there's also a festive mobility enhancer.

If nothing else, you can likely get a razorpine and the Santa tank drops to improve your damage in magic and ranged, respectively.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I've been getting back into this now that I can play the PC version. I've been doing an online game with a couple of my friends, and it's super fun with three cooperative people. It's kind of hard to find Hearts with all of us digging at once, but we're otherwise just rolling in raw materials and accessories. Our house is getting weird as hell, too, because we just keep haphazardly gluing NPC apartments and storage rooms onto it.

Also we have a gigantic cemetery in our yard from the time my friend accidentally woke up the Queen Bee while we were still using copper/tin items.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

Frost Moons are definitely meant for multiplayer. By yourself, you just can't do enough damage fast enough to make much progress before morning comes and ends the event. I had to have two friends help me in order to farm the Ice Queen's drops, and even then I don't think we ever reached the final wave.

You can solo them with some "help" just set a server for you and use the command to make it dusk, but even there killing the ice queen is a chore. so yes better with some friends.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I dunno if this has been talked about yet, but some upcoming balance changes:

The Terraria Reddit posted:

• Drastically increased the drop chance of keymolds.
  • Ice Golem now drops a Frozen core that is used with Hallowed Bars to craft Frost Armor.
  • The Pickaxe Axe now requires 1 soul from each Mech boss to craft.
  • Plantera bulb's don't spawn until all 3 mech bosses are defeated.
  • Chlorophyte doesn't spawn until one of the mech bosses are defeated
  • You cannot summon the golem until after plantera has been defeated.
  • Mech bosses are now slightly more difficult.
  • The Golem has had its life, defense, and damage increased slightly.
  • The Golems attacks now penetrate walls.
  • The Golem now shoots 2 beams if you are directly above or below him.
  • Wasp gun damage increased by 3.
  • Golden shower debuff time was reduced to 10 seconds as well as its damage.
  • Golden shower now only penetrates 5 targets.
  • Golden Shower now does slightly less damage.
  • The Mushroom Spear can now only be obtained once you have killed all 3 mech bosses.
  • The Mushroom Spear has had its sale price increased.
  • The Mushroom Spear has had its damage decreased to 50.
  • The Hammush can now only be obtained once you have killed a hardmode boss.
  • Souls now sell for less.
  • Gungnir now sells for less.
  • The Hammush has had its sale price increased.
  • Nerfed poison staff and Frost Staff
  • Chlorophyte is slightly more rare and grows slower.
  • The Rod of Discord now takes 1/6 of your life rather than 1/5.
  • The Rod of Discord debuff now lasts 8s down from 10s.
  • Decreased the drop rate of the Poison Staff.
  • Slighty buffed shotgun, marrow, and ice bow.
  • Slightly buffed repeater damage.
  • Rainbow Rod has been buffed slightly.
  • Rainbow gun's rainbow now lasts 10 seconds.
  • New hardmode ore spawns slightly less and is slightly harder to craft.
  • Palladium pickaxe can no longer mine Adamantite and Titanium.
  • Meteor heads no longer drop loot in hardmode.
  • Increased lost girl spawn chance.
  • Scourge of the Corrupter does slightly more damage.
  • Chlorophyte bars need slightly more chlorophyte ore to craft.
  • Corruption, crimson, and hallow grass wall spreads further.
  • Frostburn debuff now does more damage over time.
  • Added spectre mask and spectre damage set bonus.
  • Nerfed spectre healing helmet.
  • Retinazor shoots lasers a bit slower, and they do slightly less damage.
  • The North Pole now does less damage and has a cap on its projectiles.
I don't want to say it, but I hate almost all of these changes.

There's almost nothing I agree with and what's there is really minor. Meanwhile more items are being nerfed to the point of uselessness and gameplay restrictions continue to be mistaken for balance.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It looks like they just weakened all the things people actually use and didn't add anything or buff anything to compensate. What's the point? None of those changes are going to make the game any more fun and they're just going to screw over new players who don't already have the stuff.

-Weakened all usable weapons
-Made bosses harder

~balanced~

I don't think they understand why people play the game. Terraria is becoming the GTA to Starbound's Saints Row. Except it doesn't have the story or production values to make up for the less crazy and varied gameplay.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't want to say it, but I hate almost all of these changes.

There's almost nothing I agree with and what's there is really minor. Meanwhile more items are being nerfed to the point of uselessness and gameplay restrictions continue to be mistaken for balance.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I haven't touched the game in a while, but these proposed changes make it increasingly unlikely that I'm going to pick it back up. About the only worthwhile change is the key molds having a "drastically increased" drop rate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, that's enough to make me bite the bullet and uninstall Terraria (and, by extension, unsub from the Terraria thread). See ya, space cowboy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The patch notes gave me high hopes especially because it started out with "key molds drop way more often" but it was just downhill from there.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It looks like they just weakened all the things people actually use and didn't add anything or buff anything to compensate. What's the point? None of those changes are going to make the game any more fun and they're just going to screw over new players who don't already have the stuff.

-Weakened all usable weapons
-Made bosses harder
To me the even bigger crime is that a lot of weapons that might have served as alternatives are being made rarer or weaker. In hardmode, the poison staff was an unlikely contender, especially with all the other really powerful weapons I was using, but it somehow muscled into a spot on my hotbar because it was just unorthodox enough in its own way to compete with some real heavy-hitters. It felt nice having a sort of side-grade weapon, and using the staff not because it was more powerful, necessarily, but because in some situations it just worked better. Now it's weaker and even rarer and that whole thing goes out the window. Even if I did get it now, it's not going to compare in damage to other weapons I'll already have, and its increased rarity means I'll likely get it later and have even stronger weapons by then to outclass it with.
It seems like "balance" just means eliminating weapons people might have used instead, because there's only one way you're supposed to choose and they just weren't playing it right! Better just stick to the weapons that were designed to be the best, and not let anything else take their spotlight!

Also a lot of the serious nerfs/buffs seem to be based around the idea that everyone is an experience Terraria player, knows the ins and outs of each weapon and the best synergies of any equipment, and has a handle on every boss. It's like all the rebalances are trying to stay ahead of the curve, made solely to prevent exploiting in a small group. Like Redigit just watched one of those pro-gamer "all bosses at once speed rush no damage!" youtube videos and tried to use that as the example to balance against. If someone's a more casual gamer or is only just picking up Terraria now, all these weird, pre-emptive rules are just going to make things less fun.
Best example of this point I can think of: the Hammush is now not only weaker and more expensive, but also only available after having already killed hardmode bosses in the first place.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Also a lot of the serious nerfs/buffs seem to be based around the idea that everyone is an experience Terraria player, knows the ins and outs of each weapon and the best synergies of any equipment, and has a handle on every boss. It's like all the rebalances are trying to stay ahead of the curve, made solely to prevent exploiting in a small group. Like Redigit just watched one of those pro-gamer "all bosses at once speed rush no damage!" youtube videos and tried to use that as the example to balance against. If someone's a more casual gamer or is only just picking up Terraria now, all these weird, pre-emptive rules are just going to make things less fun.
Best example of this point I can think of: the Hammush is now not only weaker and more expensive, but also only available after having already killed hardmode bosses in the first place.

As far as I can tell the vast majority of the players the devs are actively in contact with are ones who have 1000s of hours in Terraria, so I'm not surprised. You see this kind of thing all the time.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Based on the difficulty of Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon, that's exactly how they've been trying to tune the game. It happens in MMOs a lot, but usually because those people are the ones who will subscribe for years and keep playing. Terraria has no subscription so no reason to appeal to the diehard min-maxers, so it just looks like they're making these changes because they don't like people being able to do that rather than trying to balance the challenge for them.

It's all terrible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
And here I had reinstalled Terraria because it's, you know, a finished game compared to Starbound. Where I'd have more bosses to fight and dungeons to work my way up to.

I haven't played since well before the big content update (and never really made it that far past building a few bits of meteor gear, hope that doesn't feel as RNGish as it used to?), but this does not look to bode well for my "I just play myself offline from time to time" playstyle if they are nerfing all the new toys people fought the new bosses with. I really don't get the "It is a raid boss and needs raid boss gear" mentality for this sandboxy stuff, and I really hope Starbound's plans for "Sector X is PvP default endgame zone where multiplayer people can make guilds" doesn't end up the same way.

Nevermind the fact that for what little is in Starbound, it has forever ruined me when it comes to digging one block at a time in Terraria :suicide:

Tl;DR: I like the style of 2D sandboxy stuff, but I am very boring preferring nice subteranean log cabins to massive skybridges and lava duplication machines as I slowly work my way up to the "end" by myself. Because these games are totally balanced for taking on every boss yourself with enough hard work and dedication right? :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 12, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lordy, I was excited at first to see a post full of changes since that was one of the last things I was expecting, but that's terrible. Not even sure what the point is anymore, really, when I can just play Starbound and screw around with neat mods/whatever.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Our nearly complete and rarely updated game has too many people using powerful things instead of following a strict progression of tech!! Quick, make a bunch of stuff less fun to use in this aggressively non-competitive game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
What gets to me the most are the recipe changes that prevent you from skipping tiers. For me, most of the replay value came from the whole process of becoming experienced and knowledgeable enough to find cool ways of defeating enemies I'd normally not be powerful enough for.

• Locked thread