Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AnonSpore posted:

There are people who like the Dungeon Keeper mobile game?

It would be just fine if it weren't the most insanely overpriced IAP in human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Does Puzzles and Dragons not work with root?

Only in Japan. I can run the US version fine and haven't heard anyone complain about the Euro version.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

There are people who like the Dungeon Keeper mobile game?
Didn't you see all the 5 star reviews, everyone loves it!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Apparently the 1-4 Stars option goes to an EA feedback form.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Malt posted:

I look forward to trying Dungeon Keeper a few months from now when the whole game is redesigned like PvZ2 was.

There's not much gameplay in there. It mostly is just waiting for timers. People act like if you had unlimited gems you'd find a decent game but that isn't really the case.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

hahaha no loving wonder

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Present posted:

I like this. What's the point of all those brigades you can buy in the store? Hope it doesn't mean that people that spend actual money on the game have an inherent advantage.

They do don't they.

Short answer yes, long answer it's more of a speed thing as you can get small amounts of silver by doing missions. But yeah they are better than the starting brigades, mainly because they usually come with a hero leader with a powerful ability. The nun in the medical tank is amazing

Of course that said you won't need any of that to beat the missions, but once it comes to pvp you'll get hammered. Though with THAT said, you start off with enough silver for one brigade, and since you'll be bringing two brigades to battle that's halfway there

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Not available in the US. What the hell Lucasarts?
They did that with Tiny Death Star too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

datajosh posted:

They did that with Tiny Death Star too

Is that any good?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

precision posted:

Is that any good?

It was ok. I made all the levels without any IAP and then my phone broke and gently caress starting again.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

precision posted:

Is that any good?

I thought it was terrible, myself. That being said: I never played Tiny Tower, so that may have had an effect. Once I got to the point where my timers were longer than my shift at work (only a few days), I decided that I thought it was poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

I see after being named the worst company of the year for two years in a row, they now pay much more attention to users' feedback. Good to know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kind of surprised Google let the app stay up when doing that, I thought that attempting to rig the rating process was something of a big no-no.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

If you haven't, report the App. There is an other selection. Explain how they rig the rating process.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Dungeon keeper mobile is terrible and nothing at all like the original. I think its possible to play the original on DOSbox turbo but I cant imagine it would be playable on anything smaller than a galaxy note or maybe even a tablet.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So apparently EA updated PvZ2 and now you have to do things like pay their lovely currency to get any used lawnmowers back. So, in other words, pay money for a basic gameplay feature.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Did the pocket knight thread get made?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gonkish posted:

So apparently EA updated PvZ2 and now you have to do things like pay their lovely currency to get any used lawnmowers back. So, in other words, pay money for a basic gameplay feature.

Hahaha, really? Half the internet was just talking about how much better its model was than Dungeon Keeper, too. Sometimes I wonder if these choices aren't partially sabotage, to prove that there's no market for mobile games or something.

milward posted:

Did the pocket knight thread get made?

Yeah, a while back - the OP is here.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Niton posted:

Yeah, a while back - the OP is here.

Thanks, did not see any link the last few pages.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Niton posted:

Hahaha, really? Half the internet was just talking about how much better its model was than Dungeon Keeper, too. Sometimes I wonder if these choices aren't partially sabotage, to prove that there's no market for mobile games or something.

It seems like they're proving the opposite - that mobile gaming is nothing but a market. It's not even a gaming platform!

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Do you mean within the same level, where you couldn't get them back normally anyway, or to replace from one level to the next?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Excalibur_Z posted:

Do you mean within the same level, where you couldn't get them back normally anyway, or to replace from one level to the next?

From what I read on reddit, if you lose a lawnmower, you never get that lawnmower back throughout the entire game unless you pay for it.

Edit: even levels you've already completed

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ha, who loses a lawnmower? Before any changes they made, I got all the way up to the pirate ship without ever losing a lawnmower and without ever needing to buy anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SlayVus posted:

Ha, who loses a lawnmower? Before any changes they made, I got all the way up to the pirate ship without ever losing a lawnmower and without ever needing to buy anything.

Same, but the big update made the game a lot tougher, and losing a lawnmower or two on a level was a regular occurence for me.

Holy poo poo though, that is bullshit. I was fine with the first model, getting stars and poo poo. The second was duller and harder, and now this? Wow.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I just spent a half hour up voting one star. Reviews and downvoting obviously bought five star ones. I also put in numerous complaints with Google. I recommend you do the same. At least the complaint part.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

coyo7e posted:

I thought this was kind of interesting - apparently Molyneux doesn't like the Dungeon Keeper mobile game, much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033685

The Jimquisition link in there rules. :rant:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is Galaxy on Fire 2 not optimised for phones/HD res/both or what?

All the buttons are crazy loving tiny. Like, 1-3mm on my 5" screen tiny.
Can't find a way to adjust it either. :sigh:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Mister Macys posted:

Is Galaxy on Fire 2 not optimised for phones/HD res/both or what?

All the buttons are crazy loving tiny. Like, 1-3mm on my 5" screen tiny.
Can't find a way to adjust it either. :sigh:

Likely a game made with tablet gaming in mind.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, but it's like it was made for tablets still using 1024 x 768/600.
There's tons of wasted space around the menus.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, but it's like it was made for tablets still using 1024 x 768/600.
There's tons of wasted space around the menus.

well it was in the Tegra zone for the TF101, so yeah. it was designed for the first run tablets.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm looking for turn-based games for my new android phone, there's any good games? Also, what people think about FreeCiv? Maybe I should install DosBox Turno and just play civ II and MoO2 over and over.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm looking for turn-based games for my new android phone, there's any good games? Also, what people think about FreeCiv? Maybe I should install DosBox Turno and just play civ II and MoO2 over and over.

This question keep coming up in this thread. I wonder if there could be a market? Shame that 99% of all games made for android are lovely cashgrab iap 'games'.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phrosphor posted:

This question keep coming up in this thread. I wonder if there could be a market? Shame that 99% of all games made for android are lovely cashgrab iap 'games'.

There is a couple of nice turn-based games in OP, but some more could be added, I reckon. Speaking of which...
I've played Dice Heroes for about an hour and it seems like a nice turn-based game. It starts off with too much random and general unfairness but when you get to properly customise your characters, you can see balance emerging and some basic strategies of dealing with different enemies. Definitely worth a try if you can bear with it for several levels where it's just a game of chance with absolutely no tactical thinking involved.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Same boat. Just got a Nexus 5 and I want to try it out. I'd happily pay up to :10bux: for a quality RPG free of IAPs but absolutely everything just seems to be a lovely cash grab or Bejeweled. OP looks like it's not been updated for 2 years if the 'Last Editted By' is anything to go off of...

How do emulators work on phones, by the way? I saw the ePSX emu on the store for like $3. Do I just copy over games to my phone and then just deal with touchscreen controls for the playstation buttons?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 12, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sab669 posted:

Same boat. Just got a Nexus 5 and I want to try it out. I'd happily pay up to :10bux: for a quality RPG free of IAPs but absolutely everything just seems to be a lovely cash grab or Bejeweled. OP looks like it's not been updated for 2 years if the 'Last Editted By' is anything to go off of...

How do emulators work on phones, by the way? I saw the ePSX emu on the store for like $3. Do I just copy over games to my phone and then just deal with touchscreen controls for the playstation buttons?

Don't know about the epsx emu, but I downloaded one for the GBA (freeversion) to play advanced wars and tactics ogre and I'm quite happy with it. This one just put's the button layout of the GBA on your screen and you just touch them as if they were the real thing.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Unless you connect a ps3 controller to your phone you are pretty much limited to RPGs and other turn based stuff because the on screen buttons don't give you anything close to the level of precision needed to play an action game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Angry Lobster posted:

Has anyone here played Battle for Wesnoth? Someone mentioned it a few pages back, and I went ahead and dropped $1.70 on a whim. Looks like a turn-based strategy game with some RPG leveling. What caught my eye is that it is an open-source game (the $1.70 is basically a thankyou to the modder for putting together an APK) with multiplayer and a lot of user-created content, and what looks like a small following, enough for a couple wikis. Very good reviews, and supposedly some strong single-player campaigns. I've had a lot of time standing around jobsites the last couple days able to read about it but not play. :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Brasseye posted:

Unless you connect a ps3 controller to your phone you are pretty much limited to RPGs and other turn based stuff because the on screen buttons don't give you anything close to the level of precision needed to play an action game.

Has anyone tried tilt controls for things like driving games? I know PPSSPP has that as a setting but I don't have anything to try it out with :shobon: Seems like an interesting idea anyway. Can't be any worse than the original Dual Shock analogue sticks

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phenotype posted:

Has anyone here played Battle for Wesnoth? Someone mentioned it a few pages back, and I went ahead and dropped $1.70 on a whim. Looks like a turn-based strategy game with some RPG leveling. What caught my eye is that it is an open-source game (the $1.70 is basically a thankyou to the modder for putting together an APK) with multiplayer and a lot of user-created content, and what looks like a small following, enough for a couple wikis. Very good reviews, and supposedly some strong single-player campaigns. I've had a lot of time standing around jobsites the last couple days able to read about it but not play. :(

It's really good, go and play it. Everything you've read about it is true. There's a lite version for both unofficial Android ports so you could have tried them first before deciding which one is better and if you're into this game at all, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd pay $5 or $10 for a version that had very well done touch-optimised controls and art, polished up.

• Locked thread