Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I broke scripting. Chapter 5 sidequest spoilers I think it's really cool that the bosses have revamped conversations and are aware of the time loop going on, but when I got to the Time Mage and Spellsword it played the exact same cutscene as the first time around, they said the exact same things and everything that happened was the exact same. Were they supposed to be slightly different or did a bug happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Gyre posted:

Yeah, this is why I've been sticking to it, because usually you get an ~evil church~ (which has its own issues).
The story beats in the game are all pretty well-worn so far but I'm intrigued by the way the pieces fit together. They're lampshading the hell out of Eternia's opposition to the crystals so I'm already expecting (still in chapter 2 fwiw) they'll turn out to be at least partially correct. At the same time it's clear that the crystals going dark turned the world to poo poo, which makes opposing 'Crystalism' a dead end. Yes, you'll free the world from the grip of benighted superstition... and into the grip of starvation because there's no wind, the ocean is dead and sinkholes full of monsters are opening. God only knows what the Fire crystal's schtick is; probably makes things colder now or some drat thing.

Combine that with Ringabel's journal and the little cutscene you get from using the AR card from the quickstart manual, and it's clear that there's something going on beneath the surface of JRPG 101.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like waking up to my village having upgrades, and new villagers added. :unsmith:

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Ok, so I just started the game and everything seems to be progressing fine. I downloaded all of my friends, got 20 or so villagers in Norende and have unlocked a bunch of stuff I haven't played with yet. I'm right before the first dungeon Ruins of Centro Keep. All of the fights in the overworld are easy enough, hitting for 5 or 10 at most, I'm doing the same.

I unlock the ability to ablink, do so with a higher level friend on my monk. I walk into the Ruins and suddenly all the monsters are hitting for 100 to 180 and I'm still doing 10 points of damage except on the monk, who is now hitting in the 20s. Is this intended when you ablink? I turned it off and went back in and the monsters are still hitting that hard.

I was playing too conservatively, now I'm wrecking them easily enough before they can hit me more than a few times. Still not sure if ablink fucks up monster difficulty, though.

AngstPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 12, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Ablink doesn't affect difficult. The orcs are just jerks.

You'll find a very good fist weapon in the ruins. Use it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Orcs were consistently oneshotting Agnes through a default if they focus fired her. I got pretty mad at that but then the game gave me good items and really nothing else has been consistent with that power level.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ugh, I'm at chapter 4, and it really feels like the enemies are now just asking me to cheese them. My usual setup gets plastered by some of the enemies even though I'm around level 55 (which I suspect is incredibly overleveled), so either I'm bad at RPGs (which is probably the case), or I'm not abusing Ninjas. I don't want to abuse ninjas though, but any other setup I try just gets me killed, as I can't heal enough to offset the damage I'm taking.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So I'm probably going to pick this up today for the long snowed in weekend.

Any tips for someone picking this up?

I kind of perused the last couple of pages and saw to turn off exp for grinding job points, what's that about?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

omnibobb posted:

So I'm probably going to pick this up today for the long snowed in weekend.

Any tips for someone picking this up?

I kind of perused the last couple of pages and saw to turn off exp for grinding job points, what's that about?

Late game stuff. Don't worry about it. If you progress through the game naturally you shouldn't really ever have to play with the settings.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I thought Chapter 2 was dark, but the first dungeon in Chapter 3 involves a ghost retelling the story of How he, his comrades, and his duped enemies were massacred by chemical weapons.

This game doesn't gently caress around.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does Belphegor have a 'base' level? If so, what is it? I beat a level 20 version with a level 22 party, but it took building custom specials for the fight and burning through nearly every attack item I owned. I don't see how Firaja is meant to be survivable at level 20 unless your entire party is Spell Fencers with the Abate Fire support ability. I guess that's fair for an optional boss, but unless you've sent your party down that incredibly specific and specialized path, it would take a ton of grinding.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Hazdoc posted:

Ugh, I'm at chapter 4, and it really feels like the enemies are now just asking me to cheese them. My usual setup gets plastered by some of the enemies even though I'm around level 55 (which I suspect is incredibly overleveled), so either I'm bad at RPGs (which is probably the case), or I'm not abusing Ninjas. I don't want to abuse ninjas though, but any other setup I try just gets me killed, as I can't heal enough to offset the damage I'm taking.

Yeah I hit Chapter 4 at level 48 and while I just beat Victor and Victoria no sweat, Im having a LOT of trouble with the normal fights. Plus I finally got the -aga spells but levelling up my jobs to actually use them is a distant dream. The bears can one shot any one of my characters at any time with Bare Claws, shield or no. Goodness!

I've been trying to earn enough pg to get the Growth Egg and get some of my jobs levelled up, but holy poo poo is it expensive. I've been trying to abuse an abilinked Big Pharma, but I can't seem to make much money from it--is there a trick I am missing? Does Healing Lore effect it?

Also how does Millionaire work?

bennyfranks fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 12, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hazdoc posted:

I don't think you're overlevelled, I was around there when I started that chapter and finished around 60. Get the Healing Lore ability off salvemaker for your healer, with that I was able to keep everyone alive with just Cure most of the time, only needing Cura for really big group heals. Did you stock up on new armour at the town?

If you're having trouble with groups of enemies, sleep (or silence on casters) works wonders. Performer is also great for increasing everyone's defence easily.

Edit^ Bare Claws ignores armour, so you need other ways to deal with that. Damage Dispersion to spread damage, or have a swordmaster or ninja draw attacks to themselves with the pirate's Provoke or performer's Catch Me and reduce the damage with Nothing Ventured or evade it with Utsusemi. If there's more than one bear then holy poo poo sleep one of them and keep it that way until the other's dealt with.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 12, 2014

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Annnnd I just realized I got no EXP for fighting Belphegor because I had it set to off. :suicide:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Annnnd I just realized I got no EXP for fighting Belphegor because I had it set to off. :suicide:

To be fair, the main reason to go after Nemeses is their buns. Also if everyone could properly use Nemesis for singular and Nemeses for plural that would be wonderful (I don't think I've seen it in this thread but if you just read stuff on Nemesis fights the misuse is kind of spooky).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mokinokaro posted:

Ablink doesn't affect difficult. The orcs are just jerks.

You'll find a very good fist weapon in the ruins. Use it.

Also Ablink a friend that can let your monk use Natural Talent. I was one-shotting the orcs in that area and the first weapon actually lowered my attack. I was able to wear armor with it though so it wa worth the switch.

Rangpur posted:

Does Belphegor have a 'base' level? If so, what is it? I beat a level 20 version with a level 22 party, but it took building custom specials for the fight and burning through nearly every attack item I owned. I don't see how Firaja is meant to be survivable at level 20 unless your entire party is Spell Fencers with the Abate Fire support ability. I guess that's fair for an optional boss, but unless you've sent your party down that incredibly specific and specialized path, it would take a ton of grinding.

I don't think it's the level they suggest for you to fight it but the monster's own level, because at level 10 beelzebub will still wreck your poo poo without a ton of luck/ablink help. Spell Fencer is great for dismantling Belphegor. Tiz and Edea both have sword magic on and Tiz has thievery with ablink access to Godspeed, which on non-crits would still do 7-8k damage with the right -ra blade setup while Ariel Slayer let Edea do 4-5k hits. I could see beating him around 20 but you'd definitely need abate fire or fire resist accessories to avoid getting one-shot by magic.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone who's beat the game tell me if I hosed up big time. Kinda big, big spoilers.

Was going through chapter 5 and reawakening the crystals and Airy told me to stop. I accidently pushed the button again and noticed I could keep going. What the heck I just saved let's see what happens.

Now Airy is a disgusting monster and I'm at the finale?? I uh... I skipped a few steps didn't I.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone who's beat the game tell me if I hosed up big time. Kinda big, big spoilers.

Was going through chapter 5 and reawakening the crystals and Airy told me to stop. I accidently pushed the button again and noticed I could keep going. What the heck I just saved let's see what happens.

Now Airy is a disgusting monster and I'm at the finale?? I uh... I skipped a few steps didn't I.

You've just unlocked the "regular" ending. If you hadn't destroyed the crystal, you would've eventually come to the true ending.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just keep playing. After you finish the "normal end" the game will dump you in the dungeon before you destroyed the crystal

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FrickenMoron posted:

Just keep playing. After you finish the "normal end" the game will dump you in the dungeon before you destroyed the crystal

Given the length of the game it's really good that they let you do this instead of trying to go through everything afterward without saving.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Airy is telling me it's good that I've gotten so powerful, meanwhile I'm getting my poo poo pushed in by every bear in the woods.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Rangpur posted:

The story beats in the game are all pretty well-worn so far but I'm intrigued by the way the pieces fit together. They're lampshading the hell out of Eternia's opposition to the crystals so I'm already expecting (still in chapter 2 fwiw) they'll turn out to be at least partially correct.

My personal theory at this point is that the former vestal there decided she could get stuff by threatening people with her crystal's power. There's also the possibility that (spoilers for FF 3) having light all the time is a bad thing, and what's happening is stress as the crystals change into dark ones for the next few thousand years. The world is called Luxendarc, after all.

Edit: I'm also guessing that using asterisks drives you slowly insane.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 12, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you go all the way to the final chapter (which involves sliding to a different universe like 3-4 times and never breaking a crystal) you get the third form and the true final boss afterwards.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm in Vampire Castle right now, and Lester's backstory is really drat interesting. I guess it IS here that you learn that the orthodoxy isn't all sunshine and daisies.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Can someone Covering an attack for their teammate evade that attack?

edit: Yes they can!

bennyfranks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 12, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got the normal ending. Final boss spoilers Airy is way harder in the true ending right? Read that there's a third form but man, Tiz just guzzled down elixers while dual wielding axes as a pirate and just a constant stream of 9999. I killed the second form right after it healed itself. Also Airy's trash talk is hilarious

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In chapter 3 I was doing the subquest involving the fog, but I accidentally hit the "let it pass" option and now the fog won't respawn..Do I have to do something special?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got the normal ending. Final boss spoilers Airy is way harder in the true ending right? Read that there's a third form but man, Tiz just guzzled down elixers while dual wielding axes as a pirate and just a constant stream of 9999. I killed the second form right after it healed itself. Also Airy's trash talk is hilarious

Also final boss spoilers: In my opinion, third form Airy is THE toughest non-optional boss in the entire game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, this Red Muleta accessory you can buy in Norende. The description says it "increases your aggro level." Does that mean enemies are more likely to target the character that has it equipped?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In chapter 3 I was doing the subquest involving the fog, but I accidentally hit the "let it pass" option and now the fog won't respawn..Do I have to do something special?

I did the same thing and it respawned the next night in a totally different spot. First time was south of Caldisla and the second was way further south.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

So, this Red Muleta accessory you can buy in Norende. The description says it "increases your aggro level." Does that mean enemies are more likely to target the character that has it equipped?

Yup

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Question about sending attacks: I hit 4500+ by targeting an aerial enemy with the lv. 1 bow special keyed to its elemental weakness plus the anti-aerial add-on. If someone else uses this attack, does it do the flat 4500 damage, or is it reduced according to the different elemental weakness/monster types?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Rangpur posted:

Question about sending attacks: I hit 4500+ by targeting an aerial enemy with the lv. 1 bow special keyed to its elemental weakness plus the anti-aerial add-on. If someone else uses this attack, does it do the flat 4500 damage, or is it reduced according to the different elemental weakness/monster types?
Everdraed and I actually tested this, I sent out a fixed 5000 dark damage item (boosted to 7500 with a passive) on an enemy weak against Dark. For me, it dealt 9999 damage and said as much on the Summon, but for him on something not weak against Dark it only did 7500. :(

So, the power value that is sent will say 4500 but the damage dealt will be a lot less unless the victim is also elementally weak and a flier.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 12, 2014

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
I'm still only in Chapter 1. Just bought the Angel Bow and am absolutely annihilating dudes. That's with a bow that I purchased though, not found. Does the game provide opportunity later for side exploration that rewards you with cool poo poo? I mean, the game obviously takes some of the best stuff from old FF games, so I'd imagine yes. But so far the stuff in chests has been not very good. I just remember how much fun it was to hunt down the crazy powerful items in FF6.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I'm still only in Chapter 1. Just bought the Angel Bow and am absolutely annihilating dudes. That's with a bow that I purchased though, not found. Does the game provide opportunity later for side exploration that rewards you with cool poo poo? I mean, the game obviously takes some of the best stuff from old FF games, so I'd imagine yes. But so far the stuff in chests has been not very good. I just remember how much fun it was to hunt down the crazy powerful items in FF6.

To be fair, you didn't find ludicrously powerful stuff in ff6 either until you hit the second half of the game. There are usually one or two items that punch above their weight class for the area that you're in, and a scattering of useful accessories laying around that can be effective in various situations. I'm only just starting chapter 4 though, so I haven't seen anything too crazy endgame except for a shield that nullifies two elements.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I think the kind of stuff you're thinking of is mostly down hidden passages, but I don't think there are many of those. I'm on Chapter 4 and I've only found three so far. Maybe I've just not been finding them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a way to cheese the secret boss?

It's just occurred to me that other than the autosave, there's no actual save if i die.

I've been ploughing through all of the bosses with the Knight/freelancer supercharge & mimic combo to deal out 9999 damage for every attack, but i've been reading up on the Adventurer and he has something like 500,000 HP and a parter that constantly revives him unless you kill him too.

Oh and he apparently revives his parter if you kill that first.

I'm level 99 with every job mastered with every character and about 2.5 Mil in pg if there's some way to cheese him with the merchant.

I've only got 1sp too if there's some way i can use that to abuse some kind of super attack that will kill them both in one turn. (i could probably go into deficit with this too).

I figure i'd use the SP with something but don't want to waste it on doing it wrong as it's probably going to be necessary to beat him easily.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Loving the design of the Summons so far. The way they gradually assume more bestial forms just strikes me as a nice touch. As for earning the Summoner job...

:stare: Jesus Christ.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Rangpur posted:

Loving the design of the Summons so far. The way they gradually assume more bestial forms just strikes me as a nice touch. As for earning the Summoner job...

:stare: Jesus Christ.

Seriously, is this Final Fantasy or Drakengard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rasamune posted:

Seriously, is this Final Fantasy or Drakengard

Why can't it be both?

• Locked thread