Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I think she'll be ready for comp school :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I like how casual about it he was. Just briefly glances in the mirror and that's it

He must play a lot of Forza.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

https://vimeo.com/14489137#at=0
Jesus fuckballs that was close.
drat that would have been one hell of an impact.

Muffinpox posted:

He must play a lot of Forza.
Or he's raced in chump/lemons/spec/etc before. I should dig through the hours of video from last years races and put together a compilation of people doing stupid poo poo and nearly taking us out. It gets to a point where you just laugh then get back to figuring out how to get around the slow guy in front of you.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Meanwhile in Canada,

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 2, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

There's pavement visible, booo. This is where I play in the winter:

It's a flooded ice track. Snowcross + winter driving schools. :getin:

How'd you place? I'm assuming that's a snowcross of some kind you're at.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 2, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There clearly wasn't any timing. And I wasn't really going fast down the straights. So I guess I did poorly?

(Like I care.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Having a snowbank catch your tail out drift is on of the best feelings.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, with the first prototype unveiled at the annual Entropy Racing party, I can now show off Entropy Racing's latest project, the Electric Vehicle Sports Racer.

The EVSR is a electric sports race that has been built by Entropy Racing, my stepdad's race business. So far the first car is completed and work has begun on the second car.

You can check out more about it here. The two cars are slated to hit the track this upcoming season so the northeastern US racers here have a pretty good chance of seeing them, especially at an IMG event.
http://evsr.net/

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 4, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get one of those to iRacing, please.

That's really cool. Any expectation on how far you'll be able to go at race pace on a full charge?

The bodystyle makes it even more like it's a full scale version of the old 1/12 scale pan cars I used to race :)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I believe the goal was a couple of full sessions a day on one charge. Not 100% sure though. I will have to get back to you on the exact length of the charge.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Any idea what what the pit charging setup will look like? Giant generator on a trailer?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That is a good question. We normally just hook our trailer up to the tracks power sockets with an extension cord, but I don't think that that is how these will be charged. I will let you guys know though.

Here is a good picture of the Entropy Racing fleet of Spec Racer Renaults. These are actually rental cars. My stepdad hauls these cars to the track and rents them to customers.

The main hauling vehicle is a 1951 LaFrance Foamite Ladder truck converted into a car hauler. We also have a Freightliner with trailer, the Chevy truck in the background which pulls a trailer, and an ambulance which is now used by the Independent Motorsports Group, a group that my stepdad is the race chair of, and helped start. C355n4 might know more since he probably spends more time at the shop than I do. The Toyota Sports Racer and Caterham Super 7 are customer cars that Entropy Racing maintains and hauls to the track as well.

I will be talking to my stepdad tomorrow about the EVSR so that I can give you guys more information about it, as well as how we are going to charge them at the track.

Here is the website which has more pictures.
http://entropyracing.net/

http://imgracing.com/

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 4, 2014

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Looks super interesting, keep us posted!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'll see what info I can fill in about the EVSR. I'm not privy to all the information; but, here is a dump of what I do know. The ballpark is to be able to run the car for a full race day without needing to fully charge. So essentially 3 x ~20 minute sessions. Practice, Qualifying, and a Sprint Race. The car itself is powered by two electric motors and they are de-rated from their maximum output. The plan is to be able to run competitively with other ESRs and the Spec Racer Fords. With the addition of a nifty push to pass button and brake regeneration.

IOwnCalculus - A few of us want to play with the bodywork and aero; but, that will have to wait for the next iteration. It is more important to get a racing and running car.

Next time I'm up at the shop, I'll try to get more pictures for you guys and information. I was hesitant to take pictures of some of the innards.

Edited - removed some incorrect information.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 4, 2014

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Your ESRs appear to be ex-SCCA Sports Renault racers. I'm racing the "updated" Spec Racer Ford this year. They have a massive rear weight bias which makes the car a amazing hoot to drive. Also, there is also nothing like having your head sticking out of the top of a car at 100+ mph.

I'd really be interested in seeing what a EV version would be like. Enough torque to actually spin the rears?

Aurune fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 4, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yup, they are former Spec Racer Renaults. We used to have some Fords a few years ago, but they were sold off and more Renaults were purchased and made into ESRs.

Thanks for the quick write up c355n4, you have actually seen the car more than I have and know more about it at this time.

I suggested that they mount a thick fake antenna on the rear of it, complete with one of those rubber knobs, but it looks like my idea for them to make it look like an RC car was ignored.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Oh that EVSR is very cool and I really look forward to seeing how those thing progress and work on the track. I've played with a few homemade karts adapted to electric and they were very fast and scary as hell to drive but duration was always an issue. Now I'm kind of looking at building my E21 to electric for short range commuting or track duty depending on battery pack.

Keep us updated. Will these be available for rental similar to the Spec Renaults?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Aurune posted:

Your ESRs appear to be ex-SCCA Sports Renault racers. I'm racing the "updated" Spec Racer Ford this year. They have a massive rear weight bias which makes the car a amazing hoot to drive. Also, there is also nothing like having your head sticking out of the top of a car at 100+ mph.

I'd really be interested in seeing what a EV version would be like. Enough torque to actually spin the rears?

I can't give exact numbers; but, the power output is more than the SRFs.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that EVSR is very cool and I really look forward to seeing how those thing progress and work on the track. I've played with a few homemade karts adapted to electric and they were very fast and scary as hell to drive but duration was always an issue. Now I'm kind of looking at building my E21 to electric for short range commuting or track duty depending on battery pack.

Keep us updated. Will these be available for rental similar to the Spec Renaults?

I don't know their long term plans; but, they won't be for rent this year. We have two test drivers who will be campaigning it this year.

Someone snuck some video of the sound - http://instagram.com/p/j5TJ2Mr-gO/

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 4, 2014

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bondurant is having a special for a Formula Mazda lapping day:

quote:

Bondurant’s Spring, 2014 Formula Car lapping session is now open for enrollment. “Formulas@Bondurant” will be held Saturday & Sunday, March 8th & 9th , with 4 sessions offered each day.

Event is $499 per person, licensed drivers 18yrs. and up, manual transmission only, each session includes coaching and three 25min. lapping sessions.
If you've never driven a formula car before, you should try it. There's nothing compared to how immediate the car feels, how it disappears around you. Until you change directions quickly and your bruised legs slam into the metal frame again.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
That sounds like an awesome deal, where do I sign up? I don't see it on the site

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm an alum so I guess they send out flyers in email. Their site never seems up to date.

I think you just need to call/email. Here's the full text:

bjiran@bondurant.com posted:

Bondurant’s Spring, 2014 Formula Car lapping session is now open for enrollment. “Formulas@Bondurant” will be held Saturday & Sunday, March 8th & 9th , with 4 sessions offered each day.

Event is $499 per person, licensed drivers 18yrs. and up, manual transmission only, each session includes coaching and three 25min. lapping sessions.

A great Valentine’s Day gift, gift card idea, employee reward incentive, or just a downright good excuse to get yourself into a race car at our best price!

Call now to book as the event has been known to sell out. We hope to see you down here, or again, for all of the speed junkies out there

Brenan Jiran
Sales Associate
W: 480.403.7623
C: 480.406.0813

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

I'm an alum so I guess they send out flyers in email. Their site never seems up to date.

I think you just need to call/email. Here's the full text:

drat, that sounds awesome. I have a buddy in Phoenix I could probably stay with...

Though it is confusing what you actually get. 4 sessions a day, then it says each session has three 25 min. sessions? What safety equipment is required? I don't have a HANS but have all the other poo poo (suit, helmet, socks, etc).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 5, 2014

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I got one of the wait list spots for The Drivers Edge event in Cresson this weekend. Now I just need new tires, alignment, tech inspection, and oil change by Friday. No problem I guess... This will only be my second weekend on the track though, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I forget if I or Fatcow has posted the THSCC schedule, but

April 5-6: VIR North Course
June 7-8: Carolina Motorsports Park
Sept 6-7: VIR Full Course

Everything is on motorsportreg.com

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Larrymer posted:

drat, that sounds awesome. I have a buddy in Phoenix I could probably stay with...

Though it is confusing what you actually get. 4 sessions a day, then it says each session has three 25 min. sessions? What safety equipment is required? I don't have a HANS but have all the other poo poo (suit, helmet, socks, etc).

They have everything there. When I took the class, we only needed a neckbrace for the formula cars.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Anyone going to chuckwalla for the nasa event this weekend? I'll be there drinking/helping.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

Ziploc posted:

There clearly wasn't any timing. And I wasn't really going fast down the straights. So I guess I did poorly?

(Like I care.)

Now where's the gopro highlights? Make sure to cut out all my spins :ssh:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That Subaru driver needs to learn the scandinavian flick.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

jamal posted:

That Subaru driver needs to learn the scandinavian flick.

He did alright later on:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

choo choo posted:

Now where's the gopro highlights? Make sure to cut out all my spins :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETeAD4n56A

Those are my highlights.

I have your runs unedited up on the youtubes choo choo. Pmed you links.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I thought I saw talk about 4 point harnesses that use the stock mounting points and buckle in this thread, but I can't find it. Does anyone have experience with those systems? I want to see if there is one compatible with my car.

Edit: Apparently my google was broken last night. Found what I was thinking of.

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

SpaceRangerJoe fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I thought I saw talk about 4 point harnesses that use the stock mounting points and buckle in this thread, but I can't find it. Does anyone have experience with those systems? I want to see if there is one compatible with my car.

The Schroth harnesses are popular in the Subaru world but I can't speak to what quality or safety they are.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Multi-point harnesses are pretty useless without the crotch strap, and unless you have the hole in the seat pan (never put it in front of the seat), its probably dangerous. A CG-Lock and the stock seatbelt is a decent bet. This is why lots of dedicated track cars have racing seats with the aforementioned crotch strap hole.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
For what it's worth, I love my CG-Lock.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've seen people use schroths for autoX, but not really for the track. They do keep you planted really well but obviously its just a 4pt harness.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Seat Safety Switch posted:

For what it's worth, I love my CG-Lock.

I as well.

I can see people wanting more secure-ness with a 4pt. Is a 4pt actually less safe than a 3pt?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Ziploc posted:

I as well.

I can see people wanting more secure-ness with a 4pt. Is a 4pt actually less safe than a 3pt?

Why would it be?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only 4 point harness "worth" buying is the Rallye one by Schroth.

Safety goes 6 points > 5 points > 3 points > 4 points. Your factory restraint system is actually pretty drat robust and trying to split the difference without going the whole hog with a 5/6 point setup is somewhat dangerous. There is definitely a nonzero chance of you submarining in an accident and turning a bad situation to a worse situation with a 4-point setup.

The rule of thumb for safety is to spend as much as you want on it that makes you feel safe and comfortable. When I first started out, I felt OK with a rollbar and stock seats. After I got my suspension, I didn't feel comfortable with having stock seats and driving the car was becoming increasingly difficult (even as a slow driver). Now I have seats, harnesses, a HANS, and the rollbar. I feel fairly safe, but I am looking at getting a cage within the next year or so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, in my opinion there is nothing in between all factory safety stuff and roll bar + seat + 5/6 pt + hans.

With a 4-point you are more likely to submarine under the harnesses and you are held upright in a roll over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
You're more than likely to get partially ejected in a 3 point than being able to fold up like a delicate origami crane and be protected than a 4 point.