Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like trying to stick Michael Bay specifically with the prurience and tastelessness of the true crime genre is hilariously disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I just watched Trollhunter because of this thread and I swear, this is movie is set dead right in the Supernatural universe. Hans is like Bobby Singer's Norwegian penpal. Just awesome.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
This thread is morphing into Netflix Streaming: Getting Your Seven Loonies Worth

:911:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Monkeyseesaw posted:

This thread is morphing into Netflix Streaming: Getting Your Seven Loonies Worth

:911:

Netflix: Even lovely Movies Have a "Best Of lovely Movies".

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

It's a pretty solid early 90s style comedy. Group of average joes gets to push the envelope, ensemble cast, lots of physical comedy. Better time waster than most comic book movies released last year.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

drunken officeparty posted:

They're both in the same genre about criminals who don't know what they're doing I guess? What makes P&G great isn't that it has the most amazing and original storyline. That's like comparing Requiem For A Dream and Mac & Devin Go To Highschool because they are both about drug users.

A movie actually based on the events that inspired 30 Minutes or Less instead of the idea of it would probably ended up closer to Pain and Gain.
In real life the dude that had the bomb strapped to his neck was in on the heist the whole time. He didn't know it was a real bomb though or that the other two always planned to detonate it after the cash hand off. The other two were finally caught like 4 or 5 years later after one was overheard bragging about.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Definitely read up on the whole thing. The one guy died of cancer awaiting his trial and the insane woman had an ex boyfriend chopped up in the freezer of the first guy's house.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I have to stop watching movies Netflix recommends me. Unicorn City, Cockneys vs Zombies, and Cottage County are such milquetoast pieces of poo poo.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

Skywalker OG posted:

I have to stop watching movies Netflix recommends me. Unicorn City, Cockneys vs Zombies, and Cottage County are such milquetoast pieces of poo poo.

There are also quite alot of direct DVD releases on netflix i never heard about... pretty much the only reason i do have it as some of those can be quite entertaining to some levels

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Bad movies can be a lot of fun but a lot of bad movies are just bad movies.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Watching The Brady Bunch movie due to all the recommendations it got, and it's funnier than it has any right to be. Jennifer Elise Cox should have gotten an award for her performance as Jan, she just nailed it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

battle posted:

There are also quite alot of direct DVD releases on netflix i never heard about... pretty much the only reason i do have it as some of those can be quite entertaining to some levels

This is pretty much the attitude that allows deliberately bad-on-purpose "cult movies" to get made and turn a modest profit. Someone comes up with a dumb premise out of their rear end (sharks in a tornado!) and then spends as little money and time on it as possible, shits it out on video or Netflix and then sits back and waits for the money to trickle in.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King Vidiot posted:

This is pretty much the attitude that allows deliberately bad-on-purpose "cult movies" to get made and turn a modest profit. Someone comes up with a dumb premise out of their rear end (sharks in a tornado!) and then spends as little money and time on it as possible, shits it out on video or Netflix and then sits back and waits for the money to trickle in.
I hate this, but I want this career.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

King Vidiot posted:

That seems to be Asylum's entire business model lately. I actually kind of miss when they just did lovely knockoffs of major movies, now they're milking this whole "you gotta watch this, it's so ridiculous" trend, but it's completely manufactured and stupid. It's like trying to create and market a meme.

It's apparently a very profitable business though. They claim to have always broken even, at the least, on everything they've released.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can i get recommendations for late night comedies? Examples i unironically enjoy are orange county, meatballs/wet hot american summer, national lampoons stuff like senior trip and dorm daze, bio dome, night at the roxbury, etc etc

E: i also really like black comedies like how high, friday,how to be a player, house party

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 13, 2014

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is there a single Asylum movie worth watching?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Yaws posted:

I know that Paranormal Entity has fans around here.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I

King Vidiot posted:

I'm waiting to see where exactly the upcoming "Zombeavers" falls in this bad-on-purpose spectrum. I'm really hoping it comes to Netflix.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

A MIRACLE posted:

Can i get recommendations for late night comedies? Examples i unironically enjoy are orange county, meatballs/wet hot american summer, national lampoons stuff like senior trip and dorm daze, bio dome, night at the roxbury, etc etc

E: i also really like black comedies like how high, friday,how to be a player, house party

Klown - it's crude but absolutely hilarious. Kind of like Curb Your Enthusiasm meets Road Trip.

edit: Oh god, the low star reviews of Klown are kinda hilarious:

quote:

This director endorses rape with this movie. You have these old men trying to f%## high school girls, then when the guy is turned down- we find him in the next scene running away naked while the high schoolers are chasing them and yelling rape. He says "I didn't have sex with her, I just tried to have sex with her" (An old man, naked in a high school girls tent, trying to have sex with her). This is supposed to be funny. Then, we see a scene of explicitly consensual sex, yet the next day the woman says she was sexually abused in that act. In this fictional situation, we know that a rape didn't occur (since the director shows this), yet the woman says she was basically raped. This scene is meant to call rape claims into question.I not only found the characters despicable, I found the filmmakers despicable as well.My experience with Danish culture leads me to believe that the above is very much apart of their culture. I'm biased though, maybe.

quote:

To say this movie is in bad taste is a vast understatement. If you think child abuse, misogyny, and shallow ugly people are funny, you might like this, but I thought it was very poorly done. It's not even funny in the least. It's appalling and disgusting and not even entertaining from that aspect. What is done to this child would have someone put in prison in this country. Shame on the Danish for producing this atrocity. What a waste of time.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 13, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

How the gently caress did you make it through Biodome?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That was definitely the weakest among the list I mentioned. But to answer your question I think my roommates and I were drinking Delsym that night.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yaws posted:

The Sherlock Holmes movie with dinosaurs and a robot was mildly amusing

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mod sassinator posted:

Klown - it's crude but absolutely hilarious. Kind of like Curb Your Enthusiasm meets Road Trip.

edit: Oh god, the low star reviews of Klown are kinda hilarious:

Man speaks truth. Klown is hilarious. The series is pretty funny too

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Man speaks truth. Klown is hilarious. The series is pretty funny too

Is the series subtitled in english? I saw some clips on youtube that looked hilarious, but no subtitles. :/

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mod sassinator posted:

Is the series subtitled in english? I saw some clips on youtube that looked hilarious, but no subtitles. :/

It's free on Hulu, all subtitled.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d78253d1cd/merry-christmas-frank

If the above doesn't make you laugh, it's probably not your type of show. It really is just a raunchier Curb your Enthusiasm, but I'm fine with that.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2014

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yaws posted:

For a while there when it was obvious they were just making knock offs (I don't know what they have now that's on Netflix, and I'm lazy), none of them were really worth watching. For some reason though I loved to watch them for just how terrible they were.

I would also play a game where I would count how long it was before there was a topless woman for no real reason.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yaws posted:

Mega Piranha, and Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies are both pretty awesome.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's free on Hulu, all subtitled.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d78253d1cd/merry-christmas-frank

If the above doesn't make you laugh, it's probably not your type of show. It really is just a raunchier Curb your Enthusiasm, but I'm fine with that.

Oh drat, thanks! Very happy to see this show is available in english!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Here's a whiny article about Netflix.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

I've already seen a couple, "I'm staying home, drinking, and watching House of Cards on Valentine's Day!" Facebook posts, which makes me think Netflix knows exactly what they're doing.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Jesus Christ that's stupid. WHY WON'T THEY GIVE ME THINGS EXACTLY WHEN I WANT THEM

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Would be a great PR move, though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Erebus posted:

Jesus Christ that's stupid. WHY WON'T THEY GIVE ME THINGS EXACTLY WHEN I WANT THEM

Your attempt at sarcasm has outlined their actual argument verbatim.

A Worthless, Whiny rear end in a top hat posted:

Film reporter Charles Thorp saw some irony in Netflix's decision: "So Netflix deciding to not give us what we want, when we want it? Isn't that their whole business model?" he tweeted.

He's got you dead-to-rights, Netflix! With logic!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I don't know if it's been brought up, but please no one watch Texas Chainsaw. Even if it's out of curiosity to see how bad it's gonna be, because it's really loving awful.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My wife and I have started watching Bones on Netflix after seeing a few reruns on Ion. So we started tonight and have watched the first three episodes. She is a little cold and really attached to her work, but not the emotionless, abrasive, autistic robot who doesn't understand people's emotions toward their loved ones, constantly talks without a filter, etc. that we've seen in reruns.

The other night there was one where she was at a funeral, I believe, and says something to the effect of "I don't understand these people's emotions" in regard to them crying over their lost one. Does something happen down the line or did the writers just completely ramp up her "oddness"?

The early episodes remind me of real people who work around death and are just desensitized. The later ones make me wonder when they'll peel her skin back to reveal that she is a cyborg.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

My wife and I have started watching Bones on Netflix after seeing a few reruns on Ion. So we started tonight and have watched the first three episodes. She is a little cold and really attached to her work, but not the emotionless, abrasive, autistic robot who doesn't understand people's emotions toward their loved ones, constantly talks without a filter, etc. that we've seen in reruns.

The other night there was one where she was at a funeral, I believe, and says something to the effect of "I don't understand these people's emotions" in regard to them crying over their lost one. Does something happen down the line or did the writers just completely ramp up her "oddness"?

The early episodes remind me of real people who work around death and are just desensitized. The later ones make me wonder when they'll peel her skin back to reveal that she is a cyborg.

Generally the first season of a long running series is so different from the present day as to be unrecognizable. You also see this with (e.g.) NCIS, where Gibbs actually acts like a human being (though to be fair his shift happened right after he saw one of his agents die right in front of his face).

The exception to this is Supernatural which has been about the bro-angst since the very beginning and never let up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've inadvertently been exposed to more Bones than I care to admit, and they actually seem to be writing her much less robotic lately, what with the having a baby and all that. She still talks and acts like a dumb person's parody of a smart person a lot though. I couldn't remember any of the really annoying quotes but they all basically come down to "beep boop, humans are so irrational, everyone should be smart and logical like me" and pretty much every conversation has her spouting out encyclopedia facts laden with unnecessary information no one cares about to highlight how smart she is.

"The dissolution of marriage has been in practice for countless centuries. In fact, in Christian Byzantium, a woman could divorce her husband for a number of medical reasons including leprosy or impotence." Cut to a shot of the person she's interrogating looking confused and her partner mugging and rolling his eyes. She's so smart but she just doesn't understand people!

Oh and here's one about love I looked up, it's actually from an early season. Just imagine some variation of this, creaking under the weight of the scientific terms the writers googled, every time the subject is brought up.
Booth: Well, I'm just saying, you believe in love don't you?
Brennan: I believe that dopamine and norepinephrine stimulate euphoria because of certain biological triggers like scent, and symmetrical features. :spergin:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Yaws posted:

It's not on netflix anymore but I recommend Sex Pot to everyone. It's an extremely weird movie, basically like what would happen if an alien with no real comprehension of human interaction or culture watched a stoner teen comedy and decided to try and make one himself. In this movie the main character accidentally fucks his sister but gets over it in a matter of seconds. The same thing happens when he sucks his best friend's dick by mistake. It is a great movie

A CRUNK BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 14, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

It's not on netflix anymore but I recommend Sex Pot to everyone. It's an extremely weird movie, basically like what would happen if an alien with no real comprehension of human interaction or culture watched a stoner teen comedy and decided to try and make one himself. In this movie the main character accidentally fucks his sister but gets over it in a matter of seconds. The same thing happens when he sucks his best friend's dick by mistake. It is a great movie

Oh my god according to the Wikipedia article, he has sex with his 14-year-old sister.

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

How do you suck a dick by mistake?

• Locked thread