Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Cantorsdust posted:

reminder that in skyrim you kill the goddamned emperor and literally nothing comes of it

reminder that in morrowind you can break into god's house and kill him if you want because why the gently caress not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

smokyprogg posted:

reminder that in morrowind you can break into god's house and kill him if you want because why the gently caress not

he aint got th the chim no more. the reigning king took it from he bitch rear end

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
All I'm saying is there wasn't much separation between oblivion and skyrim, in terms of how much fun I had playing them.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

literally i think the only reason i played oblivion was because it looked nicer than morrowind. skyrim is now out and looks nicer and is also a moderately better game, so there really is no reason to play oblivion any more. i went back recently and was like "lol no".

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

oblivion was ok until you realized there wasnt anymore to it and that everybody was pie faced

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Blue Raider posted:

oblivion was ok until you realized there wasnt anymore to it and that everybody was pie faced

this was my experience moving to the midwest

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

also if you never went into more than 1 cave

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

All I'm saying is there wasn't much separation between oblivion and skyrim, in terms of how much fun I had playing them.

Skyrim was a more flavorful oblivion, but I agree, mostly. Now go play Morrowind and report back.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i loved morrowind, liked skyrim a lot, and disliked oblivion.

thts how it goes

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

thts how it goes

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

Skyrim was a more flavorful oblivion, but I agree, mostly. Now go play Morrowind and report back.

tell that nigga not to make a magic a major skill

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Oblivion had adoring fan and skyrim had this dumbass talking dog. Hopefully they continue the trend of annoying characters that follow you around and teleport out of nowhere.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Oblivion had adoring fan and skyrim had this dumbass talking dog. Hopefully they continue the trend of annoying characters that follow you around and teleport out of nowhere.

fargoth gonna get ya

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Crewmine posted:

fallout 3 might have had a retarded "no but you see you HAVE to die it's FATE" ending, but at least it had a proper setpiece at the end with the giant Americabot hurling miniature nukes quarterback-style at the enemy.

F3 was loving stupid because you had two companions who were completely immune to radiation who could have set the thing off without any danger to themselves or anybody else, but they both politely declined because "It wasn't their place".

Gobblecoque posted:

yeah, bethesda spent pretty much all of their voiceactor budget on sean bean and patrick stewart so they had like two guys and a chick voice literally everyone else lol

They got so ripped off by Pat Stew. He said like ten lines and then he died *not even half way through the Prologue* I mean, the hype surrounding "Patrick Stewart is going to play the Emperor" was one of the first and biggest marketing points of the game. I didn't even know Sean Bean was going to be in it until I met his character.

SunAndSpring posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkdbntfiSM

Actually in retrospective Morrowind is poo poo.

The best part: http://youtu.be/BPkdbntfiSM?t=1m, especially the Skyrim combat he compares it to! A "Shameful 8/10".

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

tell that nigga not to make a magic a major skill

Best set of skills:

MAJOR:

Hand to Hand
Unarmored
Restoration
Alteration
Illusion

MINOR:

Mysticism
Conjuration
Alchemy
WILD CARD
WILD CARD

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also motherfucker that talking dog was cool

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Because of you N'wahs now I want to play Morrowind again. But just to spite you I installed Skyrim and I am going to do something wild and dangerous - play with no mods. :smuggo:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

Best set of skills:

MAJOR:

Hand to Hand
Unarmored
Restoration
Alteration
Illusion

MINOR:

Mysticism
Conjuration
Alchemy
WILD CARD
WILD CARD

best major skill is acrobatics because jump jump jump

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Blue Raider posted:

thts how it goes

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

also motherfucker that talking dog was cool

His coolest attribute was continuing a normal conversation while we were being attacked and getting our asses kicked.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

His coolest attribute was continuing a normal conversation while we were being attacked and getting our asses kicked.

see he didnt give a poo poo about your poo poo. he was a chill god hound

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

see he didnt give a poo poo about your poo poo. he was a chill god hound

Yeah I guess he was pretty cool

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've never gotten past the 3rd quest in the main quest line and just chill in Balmora and gently caress around with mods.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The only decent parts of obliv was the shiv.isles and the nocturnal cowl gimmick.

Guard sees you wearing it, enters pursuit, *remove cowl*, baffled guard forgets why he was chasing you.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

best major skill is acrobatics because jump jump jump

this and also the city of vivec is the best acrobatics trainer in the game

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I've never gotten past the 3rd quest in the main quest line and just chill in Balmora and gently caress around with mods.

This is okay because Caius Cosades explicitly tells you to go spend some time freelancing before returning to him. Incidentally, he says a different line if you go to him as a higher level, maybe 10+ I think? He says that one look at you and anyone can tell you're an experienced adventurer, so that will be your cover. It's little things like that that add to the feel.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Actually now that I think about it I'm really confused about the playerchars whole relationship with the empire at the beginning of the game. Like, you're a prisoner? But then they release you to go do freelance work and report in (or don't lol) at your leisure to a washed out drug addict?

Empire runs a tight ship I tell ya

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Sixteen

The Hortator wandered through the Mourning Hold, wrestling with the lessons he had learned. They were slippery in his mind. He could not always keep the words straight and knew that this was a danger. He wandered to find Vivec, his lord and master, the glory of the image of Veloth, and found him of all places in the Temple of False Thinking. There, clockwork shears were taking off Vivec's hair. A beggar king had brought his loom and was making of the hair an incomplete map of adulthood and death.

Nerevar said, 'Why are you doing this, milord?'

Vivec said, 'To make room for the fire.'

And the Hortator could see that Vivec was out of sorts, though not because of the impending new power to come. The golden warrior-poet had been exercising his Water Face as well, learned from the dreughs before he was born.

Nerevar said, 'Is this to keep you from the fire?'

Vivec said, 'It is so that I may see with truth. It, and my place here at the altar of Padhome in the house of False Thinking, serve so that I may see beyond my own secrets. The Water Face cannot lie. It comes from the ocean, which is too busy to think, much less lie. Moving water resembles truth by its trembling.'

Nerevar said, 'I am afraid to become slipshod in my thinking.'

Vivec said, 'Reach heaven by violence then.'

So to quiet his mind the Hortator chose from the Fight Racks an axe. He named it and moved on to the first moon.

There, Nerevar was greeted by the Parliament of Craters, who knew him by title and resented his presence, for he was to be a ruling king of earth and this was the lunar realm. They shifted around him in a pattern of entrapment.

'The moon does not recognize crowns or scepters,' they said, 'nor the representatives of kingdoms below, lion or serpent or mathematician. We are the graves of those that have migrated and become ancient countries. We seek no Queens or thrones. Your appearance is decidedly solar, which is to say a library of stolen ideas. We are neither tear nor sorrow. Our revolution succeeded in the manner that is was written. You are the Hortator and unwelcome here.'

And so Nerevar carved at the grave ghosts until he was out of breath and their Parliament could make no new laws.

He said, 'I am not of the slaves that perish.'

Of the members of Parliament only a few survived the Hortator's attack.

A surviving Crater said, 'Appropriation is nothing new. Everything happens of itself. This motif is by no means unassociated with hero myths. You have not acted with the creative impulse; you fall below the weight of destiny. We are graves but not coffins. Know the difference. You have only dug more and supplied no ghosts to reside within. Central to your claim is the predominance of frail events. To be judged by the earth is to sit on a throne of wonder why. Damage us more and you will find naught but the absence of our dead.'

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morrowind was cool back in the day but the hardcore fans are just bitchmade nerds.

Know that I say this with the Water Face, fuckers

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

Actually now that I think about it I'm really confused about the playerchars whole relationship with the empire at the beginning of the game. Like, you're a prisoner? But then they release you to go do freelance work and report in (or don't lol) at your leisure to a washed out drug addict?

I'm replaying it now for the first time in more than a decade, and I never made it far the first time. So it's pretty much new to me. Modded up. Love it.

Everything I've encountered so far is that the Empire is a total basket case. Everyone is on the take from someone else. Their proxies from the native population on the island are slave-owning mafioso landlords. There's an attempted coup back in the capital. It's like the Austro-Hungarian Empire about to poo poo itself.

So you have a bunch of ne'er-do-wells and prisoners you want to get rid of. Easy peasy, you ship them off to colonize the backwater island of Vvardenfell and hire them as low-budget informants.

For a sorta real-life equivalent, there was a story not long ago about how in the early years of the revolution in Syria, Assad deliberately released a bunch of jihadists from his prisons. Just let them go. There were hard-wired Al Qaeda types that other rebels knew were in prison before the revolution now popping up in charge of the jihadist brigades. It's like: "what are *you* doing here?" The answer was: they're here so the U.S. isn't. And to allow Assad to get away with leveling your city and salting the earth. They weren't necessarily working directly with the regime, but they were getting used by it.

Oh God what is happening to me.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 13, 2014

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Real Talk: If I grab morrowind again and play it will the graphics make me throw up and the mechanics play like poo poo compared to skyrim? I haven't played it in maybe 10 years and I suspect if I try to play it again all of my great memories will be destroyed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yesterday I tried to play skywind but when I got off the boat everyone but the guards was naked, went to balmora and same thing, and the guards kept yelling at me to put some clothes on like I was the pervert (I was wearing a shirt at least)

it was like a bad dream

installing Morrowind Overhaul 3 now instead, lets do this

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
seriouspost but what happened between morrowind and oblivion? morrowind , while lacking in graphics, had some really cool aesthetics with its own style and "culture" making the world actually look foreign and interesting while oblivion was just dull as gently caress as everyone knows. skyrim too. did people quit working at bethesda or something??

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Real Talk: If I grab morrowind again and play it will the graphics make me throw up and the mechanics play like poo poo compared to skyrim? I haven't played it in maybe 10 years and I suspect if I try to play it again all of my great memories will be destroyed.

check the morrowind modding thread there's some really great mods out there that can make your game to look very very good

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Texture overhauls have done an amazing job of keeping Morrowind pretty. What does look pretty horrible are the animations. But between overhauls and Morrowind Graphics Extender providing distant land and modern shaders, Morrowind can look pretty drat good today.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

seriouspost but what happened between morrowind and oblivion? morrowind , while lacking in graphics, had some really cool aesthetics with its own style and "culture" making the world actually look foreign and interesting while oblivion was just dull as gently caress as everyone knows. skyrim too. did people quit working at bethesda or something??

Kirkbride, their crazy alcoholic writer, left. And Oblivion actually sold better than Morrowind. And of course Skyrim sold even better. So I wouldn't expect them to ever return to Morrowind's exotic style when the market has taught them that they can just keep pushing bland crap. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll farm an Elder Scrolls game out to Obsidian again?

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Skrill.exe posted:

this was my experience moving to the midwest

so true, also moved to the midwest, need to break into more peoples houses

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh i also gave up weed a couple of years ago after being a heavy user so now i'm a big lame-o. this game is still amazing but i think it was meant to be played high. there are giant mushrooms growing out of the ground for gently caress's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpt9iicEow

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Cantorsdust posted:

Kirkbride, their crazy alcoholic writer, left. And Oblivion actually sold better than Morrowind. And of course Skyrim sold even better. So I wouldn't expect them to ever return to Morrowind's exotic style when the market has taught them that they can just keep pushing bland crap. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll farm an Elder Scrolls game out to Obsidian again?

not that i really mind skyrim gameplay but the world just became so incredibly boring to look at after a while. it must be possible to mix crazy style with vanilla dull fantasy style to cater to both the unimaginative crowd and the crazy goon crowds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

The Protagonist posted:

you pretty much fit the bill for the nerevar, but the thing is so did like 100 other people who all got smashed by dagoth ur. teh only problem with this plan is they probably let 900 other dudes go, who just hosed off into the wilderness

they're just throwing poo poo at vvardenfell's blight problem because their prisons are filling up and gently caress the dunmer lol

• Locked thread