Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Powerslave isn't horrible, though the Sega Saturn version is better (and arguably a completely different game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, Powerslave is actually pretty cool in the grand scheme of things, but Extreme Paintbrawl? Holy moly. I remember one of my friends bringing a copy over (he got it for his birthday, if I remember correctly) and we installed it on my PC. In theory, it sounded pretty cool: A team-based FPS game that was built around arenas (sort of like UT'99 before UT'99 existed) with singleplayer support in a day and age when I didn't have the internet in my room. Most FPS games from that period involved you versus the entire world and had friendly NPCs conveniently dying before they could fight alongside you, so having an entire friendly team was going to be awesome.

But it was like a bad acid trip. It didn't seem like there was any real concept of a "team". NPCs of various colors glitched around aimlessly, getting stuck on obstacles, randomly shrinking/growing, and disappearing/reappearing. Retarded hillbilly butthole-rock blasted from my speakers. Sometimes an awful grinding sound, like somebody had thrown ping-pong balls in a blender, would play. All of it drove us mad, and we pounded on the keyboard and monitor like a pair of chimps.

EDIT: Also, for some reason I got it in my head that JoWooD Enertainment was responsible for this abortion.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 13, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Powerslave isn't horrible, though the Sega Saturn version is better (and arguably a completely different game).

Yeah, the Saturn version is pretty much Metroid Prime years before its time. Platforming elements, metroid-style exploration and using new powers to open areas, etc. Pity it was on the Saturn, so nobody played it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, the Saturn version is pretty much Metroid Prime years before its time. Platforming elements, metroid-style exploration and using new powers to open areas, etc. Pity it was on the Saturn, so nobody played it.

Weren't the Saturn and Playstation versions pretty much the same and the PC version the odd one out? Ugh, the strafing speed in the PC version is the worst.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dominic White posted:

I liked Brahma Force on the Playstation, an incredibly Japanese Genki/Jaleco 2.5D FPS with platforming, big sprawling levels, and creepy voiced exposition.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

catlord posted:

Weren't the Saturn and Playstation versions pretty much the same and the PC version the odd one out? Ugh, the strafing speed in the PC version is the worst.

The console versions run on an original 3D engine, the PC version runs on a pre-DN3D version of Build. Even so, there are are significant differences between the console versions, too - different/modified levels, different enemies, modified powerup behaviour, etc.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Also, for some reason I got it in my head that JoWooD Enertainment was responsible for this abortion.

To be fair JoWood was responsible for most abortions, but then they'd occasionally release something good just to piss everyone off.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I liked Brahma Force on the Playstation, an incredibly Japanese Genki/Jaleco 2.5D FPS with platforming, big sprawling levels, and creepy voiced exposition.

But before that they were responsible for Kileak: The DNA Imperative, which is easily the worst FPS I've played. I forgave them after playing SLAI though. That's not a game for this thread though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CoarsestGrate posted:

If you haven't already got it, next to the secret is a raised platform with a single rocket. Press the platform to lower it, then get on the platform, turn left, press the wall, and enjoy your box of rockets.

Wow I sure am dumb :downs:. There's a switch near there that lowers an elevator with a Hell Knight and two Chaingunners on it. It also lowers a fast floor. I could hear it but couldn't find it anywhere and it was driving me mad. I was fixated on the secret being related to that switch somehow.

I've started playing the PSX Doom TC. At first it was just for yucks, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot. I know all of Doom's levels like the back of my hand so the added darkness, new monsters, and slightly-altered level design is a nice change. Is there any way to get the Shotgun/SSG on the same button like in the original Doom? The Shotgun and Super Shotgun occupy independent slots (3 and 4 respectively) in PSX Doom and it's loving annoying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, yeah I picked that up on a whim a while back and was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty cool game!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I must be the only one who really likes Nam. WW2 GI is poo poo undisputedly, but I found Nam to be an interesting Build game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Powerslave on the Saturn is really interesting because both the Duke 3D and Quake Saturn ports run on Slavedriver. Slavedriver was also pretty advanced, supporting colored dynamic lighting, full 3d, and even sorta-translucent water (they cheated by using a checkerboard effect).

I want to do an LP of Powerslave one of these days. After I get off my rear end and finish my Jazz series LP.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I've started playing the PSX Doom TC. At first it was just for yucks, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot.

Have you tried Threshold Of Pain? Based on PSX Doom, but it's a very modern-style campaign.

Apparently there's a sequel in the works now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dominic White posted:

Have you tried Threshold Of Pain? Based on PSX Doom, but it's a very modern-style campaign.

Apparently there's a sequel in the works now.

Sweet, I didn't know about this. Thanks!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Randomly stumbled across this "Doom Mod" called Total Chaos. I guess it's built (most recently) on the Zandronum engine, and has been "upcoming" for years now. It looks like a PS2 era game, though, which is a pretty cool demonstration of the engine's capabilities.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
Going live with the first of my (mostly) blind stream of Blood in a few minutes. Anyone in here who's familiar with the game is welcome to either help me out or laugh at my ignorance.
https://www.twitch.tv/cyraptor

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What difficulty are you tackling it on?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Holy crap and I thought I was bad with quicksave scumming. :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ, save save save save.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry I suck so much guys. It's literally my first time playing the game and it's got a hell of a learning curve, so I had to rely on savescumming as a crutch more than I'd liked to have. In my defense though, the alternative would be me replaying huge swaths of the levels, which seems like it would be even less fun to watch. I felt like I had a pretty good handle on the combat by the end of the episode though, so hopefully tomorrow night will go a little smoother. I'm still Brad at games though, so I can't promise anything.

P.S. I have no absolutely regrets about cheating to kill that final boss. Jesus Christ.

Incidentally, would you guys prefer if I posted in this thread before I go live? I feel like that'd be unnecessarily spammy and pluggy but I also don't want people who might be interested to miss the live recording. I already post in the Let's Stream thread in the LP forum which seems good enough for me but I dunno how much crossover there is between here and there.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Holy crap and I thought I was bad with quicksave scumming. :v:

To be fair, Blood is a real pain in the rear end when you first start out. Once you get a decent stockpile of TNT, things get a bit easier.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CyRaptor posted:

Incidentally, would you guys prefer if I posted in this thread before I go live? I feel like that'd be unnecessarily spammy and pluggy but I also don't want people who might be interested to miss the live recording. I already post in the Let's Stream thread in the LP forum which seems good enough for me but I dunno how much crossover there is between here and there.
Hey, go ahead. It's retro FPS stuff in the retro FPS thread.

And yeah, Blood is nightmarishly difficult. You really need to get a good grip on TNT to get far reasonably unscathed.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

And yeah, Blood is nightmarishly difficult. You really need to get a good grip on TNT to get far reasonably unscathed.

I can't ever replay Blood because of how ridiculously difficulty it is. You really have to be in a certain mindset to play it. If I'm in the mood to blow some dudes up, I pick the original Shadow Warrior because it's much easier and gives you a ton of effective explosive weapons to dick around with.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Blood is such a ridiculously difficult game until you realise that TNT and the flare pistol are the strongest weapons by a long way. Even then you can be killed by almost anything in seconds so savescumming is almost mandatory.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Convex posted:

Blood is such a ridiculously difficult game until you realise that TNT and the flare pistol are the strongest weapons by a long way. Even then you can be killed by almost anything in seconds so savescumming is almost mandatory.

Yeah, that's what puts me off. TNT and Flare Gun spam is fun, but the really annoying hitscan enemies are just too much for me unless I really, really put my mind to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's also why I can't fully enjoy Shadow Warrior. The default enemies have automatic weapons and explosions loving HURT to the point where those suicide guys can knock you from 100 to 0 health thirty feet away. And who's idea was it to make shurikens that ricochet back in your face? Why I would I ever want to use them?? Oh, because I ran out of uzi bullets and my sword isn't good enough against a mob of enemies. Thanks.

I don't understand how Duke3D got everything right on the first try. Every other build game is janky in comparison. Then you have the opposite with the Lithtech engine starting out pretty lovely and getting progressively better through No One Lives Forever.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Segmentation Fault posted:

Powerslave on the Saturn is really interesting because both the Duke 3D and Quake Saturn ports run on Slavedriver. Slavedriver was also pretty advanced, supporting colored dynamic lighting, full 3d, and even sorta-translucent water (they cheated by using a checkerboard effect).

I want to do an LP of Powerslave one of these days. After I get off my rear end and finish my Jazz series LP.

I'd love to see this. I had the Saturn version, so I can't vouch for the others, but it was one of the best FPSs around at the time, and to my knowledge the first to use power ups to progress, Metroid style. The engine was probably the most powerful on the Saturn outside Sega's own. I remember being blown away by the coloured lights from enemy fireballs. And the level design was great - the stand out for me was one of the cave levels, where you progress vertically to the top.

I remember the mags at the time saying the Saturn was better for FPSs because it drew 3D objects out of squares rather than triangles, and that games like Quake basically weren't possible on the Playstation. This was total BS of course, because Exhumed and Quake 2 came out on the PS, but there was quite a gap before that happened if I recall correctly, and PS Exhumed still wasn't as smooth as the Saturn version and was missing some lighting effects.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
CyRaptor what I was trying to tell you to do with the TNT was to light it with alt-fire and then throw it with regular. This lets you create time-detonated dynamite that you can throw around corners so it's GREAT for all those cultists and such hiding everywhere. The time you tried you alt-fired to throw it which yeah, drops it at your feet. That's mostly for laying remote bombs and prox mines.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvilGenius posted:

I remember the mags at the time saying the Saturn was better for FPSs because it drew 3D objects out of squares rather than triangles, and that games like Quake basically weren't possible on the Playstation. This was total BS of course, because Exhumed and Quake 2 came out on the PS, but there was quite a gap before that happened if I recall correctly, and PS Exhumed still wasn't as smooth as the Saturn version and was missing some lighting effects.

This was actually kinda true. Although both the Saturn and PSX had problems with textures warping, the quadilateral system used in the Saturn greatly reduced those effects of textures warping and poo poo . There was also a bug in default PSX rendering and rounding that would often lead to visible gaps between polygons and the Saturn simply didn't do that.

On top of that, the lighting system built into Saturn hardware was a bit harder to start programming, but was way more flexible for dynamic lighting effects. (I think it was multiplying light mixing versus additive and subtractive light mixing, but I don't remember which console had which)

And fundamentally, the N64 had a way better 3D engine, but it was handicapped by the combination of very small texture cache memory (leading to most games having very small textures) and of course the cartridges not having much storage.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 16, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm trying to find a "sweet spot" for running Alien Trilogy in DOSBox and having some trouble doing so. Turning up the cycles gets smooth FPS in most parts but still some slowdown any time I turn to look at something like a bunch of barrels & crates staked up, and max cycles just makes it overall too drat fast. Any pointers?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Alien Trilogy simply did have slowdown on the computers it was designed for. You can try putting the CPU setting to "Dynamic", but this makes the game more crashy.

Alien Trilogy is honestly pretty weird like that. You'd think a game released in 1996 wouldn't have the "runs way too fast on fast CPUs" problem anymore, because most developers had figured that out by then. Yet there it is, being a pain in the rear end.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Post here, its not spammy, and I don't follow the streaming thread

Also Blood is annoying as poo poo, I played one ep somewhat recently to try it out and gave up on it after that. Every level was hiding behind cover, ducking out for a few shots, then hiding again. If I wanted that elegant gameplay, I could play any modern fps.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yesterday I played through Cyriak's WAD Going Down and it was a god drat blast. It's the definition of short and sweet. Those of you that enjoyed Claustrophobia 1024 should give it a try as it's designed around a similar concept. The soundtrack is certainly... interesting, but that's not surprising considering who made it.

EDIT: Blood talk: I've tried many times to play through Blood and I just can't. The game is so incredibly frustrating. I tend to play all videogames by a simple "No Playing on a Difficulty Setting Lower than Normal" rule, but for Blood I really have to make an exception if I want to get through it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

The soundtrack is certainly... interesting, but that's not surprising considering who made it.

It's the soundtrack that convinced me that "mouldy" was indeed Cyriak. It's just so Cyriaky.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

It's the soundtrack that convinced me that "mouldy" was indeed Cyriak. It's just so Cyriaky.

Yep. Apparently he's aiming for another episode worth of levels soon, but he's been getting a lot of work lately, so Doom stuff tends to be low-priority.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Alright, going live with Episode 2 of Blood in a few minutes. I made a few control/sound tweaks since last night, so hopefully it should be a slightly better experience for all involved.
My channel again is http://twitch.tv/cyraptor

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

It's just so Cyriaky.

No kidding! He even reused Map04's track for the video he released last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBvXth-O_g

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

al-azad posted:

It's also why I can't fully enjoy Shadow Warrior. The default enemies have automatic weapons and explosions loving HURT to the point where those suicide guys can knock you from 100 to 0 health thirty feet away. And who's idea was it to make shurikens that ricochet back in your face? Why I would I ever want to use them?? Oh, because I ran out of uzi bullets and my sword isn't good enough against a mob of enemies. Thanks.

Once you get an explosive weapon, SW is much, much easier. The key behind SW is to use explosive weapons on everything, from cannon fodder ninjas to adult Rippers. Only use the shotgun or Uzis if you run out of explosive ammo.

The early levels have a lot of hidden explosive weapons. Use the secrets guide at http://www.3drealms.com/sw/secrets.html to find them. You can get a grenade launcher within 30 or so seconds of starting the map 1, which is a huge help. The first map in the second episode also has a hidden grenade launcher you can get as soon as the stupid boat sequence ends.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Once you get an explosive weapon, SW is much, much easier. The key behind SW is to use explosive weapons on everything, from cannon fodder ninjas to adult Rippers. Only use the shotgun or Uzis if you run out of explosive ammo.

The early levels have a lot of hidden explosive weapons. Use the secrets guide at http://www.3drealms.com/sw/secrets.html to find them. You can get a grenade launcher within 30 or so seconds of starting the map 1, which is a huge help. The first map in the second episode also has a hidden grenade launcher you can get as soon as the stupid boat sequence ends.

The problem is the explosive radius is huuuuuge and it's very easy to hit a wall or blow yourself up because an enemy is too close. This was never an issue in Duke3D, it's almost like for Blood and Shadow Warrior they purposefully increased the radius to piss you off.

I don't think I ever damaged myself in Duke3D with pipe bombs or the rocket launcher but I can't prevent it if I try in SW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's because Duke3d has a different weapon balance where your battle horse is the shotgun. Blood and SW rely on explosives to not get hosed up.