Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

We have this big project that needs to spin up tomorrow. Here's the server we need. High priority.
"Here's the big IT project management has been planning for six months. Except we didn't tell anyone in IT. And here's three weeks of work for you, have it done by yesterday."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

"Here's the big IT project management has been planning for six months. Except we didn't tell anyone in IT. And here's three weeks of work for you, have it done by yesterday."
"That's not physically possible. By not providing us enough notice, you ruined your own timeline. Either you can give us an appropriate amount of time to implement a proper solution, or you can find someone else to do it, but either way this is not happening on the schedule that you planned. Please discuss the two options among yourselves and let me know how you'd like to proceed."

[NINJA EDIT] And yes, I've had to say that very thing a number of times to various clients, losing a fair amount of business in the process, but as I've said before I'm not about to make my employees suffer because someone else hosed up. Their well-being is infinitely more important to me than keeping a client who has proven that they have unrealistic expectations.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 12, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mad.radhu posted:

Office 365 support is a goddamn joke.

I wonder what sort of information is passed on through the admin panel when you put in a support ticket? Number of user licenses? Is the text I put in even passed on?

We've been experiencing an extremely aggravating problem where users have their credentials randomly dropped, prompting them to re-enter their subscription information. For one guy this happened after his battery ran dry over the weekend. Our COO had it happen three times in three days with no discernible cause. Putting in a detailed description through the Administration panel and filing a ticket literally just dumped a 'call this guy back I guess' ticket into the general microsoft user support queue, prompting some rear end in a top hat to call insisting a screen share was the only way he could troubleshoot, and wouldn't believe me when I said I was talking about our users, not myself. It's as though he didn't even have access to the ticket I submitted, he was taken aback when I told him I was using OSX, something I specified in the text.

Please don't use Office 365.

There's quite a few of us here on O365 and this is not a normal situation. I've personally had nothing but good experiences with Microsoft Support. O365 does have some limitations due to it's hosted and shared nature, but those are things you deal with when you outsource something.

Maybe it's because I'm with a bigger enterprise and we spend a million a year on O365 E3 licenses but Microsoft support has been good when we have an issue. I usually don't even bother engaging our MS TAM.

The constant credential prompting is not normal. You should double check that machine and make sure the appropriate patches and supporting software are installed. It's picky about having the right Outlook patches installed.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Che Delilas posted:

Sounds like they're paving the way for the bus that you're getting thrown under.

Oh no doubt.

My first entry in this ticket:

"Note: I was assigned this ticket on 2/12/14. - Agrikk"

But I'll be lucky as hell if I get these servers built in Q1.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

The constant credential prompting is not normal. You should double check that machine and make sure the appropriate patches and supporting software are installed. It's picky about having the right Outlook patches installed.

Yeah it's been vexing us for a few months. It happens on multiple machines, to multiple users, and there isn't any real commonality between them besides Office 365. We don't use outlook. One was running 10.8, One had 10.9.1. One was fine for months, then suddenly prompted for reentering credentials, and it's been fine for about a month. Like I mentioned one had it happen every morning for three days (and counting, actually.) One was a Macbook Pro, two of them have been Airs. If I had any other things I could try I would have done that and wouldn't have put in a ticket.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON
A ticket came in!

We finally got hit by that cryptolocker malware. Somebody set it loose in one of our remote office fileshares. ~600 gb, so not too big of a share.

The powers that be decided to just build an entirely new server, restore all of the data, then overnight the server to the remote office. I suppose that's one way to deal with it.

For a corporation with ~15,000 users all with local admin rights, I'm really shocked that we have as few problems with malware as we do. I only get pulled in to repair fileshare incidents about once a year.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in.

I am being voluntold to pull cables for the phone guys tomorrow afternoon.. woooo.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Ticket came in

"Smoke and possible fire, HVAC of server room"

:negative:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in.

I am being voluntold to pull cables for the phone guys tomorrow afternoon.. woooo.

Verify there's no asbestos in the building, this may be a murder attempt.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

nexxai posted:

[NINJA EDIT] And yes, I've had to say that very thing a number of times to various clients, losing a fair amount of business in the process, but as I've said before I'm not about to make my employees suffer because someone else hosed up. Their well-being is infinitely more important to me than keeping a client who has proven that they have unrealistic expectations.

Its nice to be there. At the small local shop I worked at, I had to fire a few clients. That being said, sometimes its do it or you are unemployed...which sucks, but not everyone can say "Stuff it you idiots", no matter how politely. Or sometimes things just really are an honest-to-god emergency and, well, you gotta deal.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A call came in.

CEO thanked me for helping her set up her computer and recovering her data after the encryption that got pushed out broke her stuff. It took literally my entire day yesterday trying to get that data.

:unsmith:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Siochain posted:

Its nice to be there.
That's exactly what I want to hear from the guys that work for me. I don't want them to hate coming to work, which is almost guaranteed when you let poo poo like bad timelines or budgets become commonplace. This is one the main reasons I initially went into business for myself - I was tired of my old boss accepting clients just because they walked in the door. He sacrificed his employees for bottom line and finally I had enough and left. Last I heard, every single technical employee that I worked with there has since left usually for the same reason, along with a number that were hired after I left.

I make it a point to treat my employees like the gold they are, and in turn I haven't had a single person quit on me and I have a stack of resumes waiting to be looked at.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

skipdogg posted:

We once had a laptop returned to us from an Indian gentleman that had curry smell just embedded into the plastic. It wasn't coming out and stank up a good chunk of the office. We just wiped it and tossed it, it wasn't fit to be reused.
RE: Indian food smells in equipment. This happens way too much at my work.

A former telephony tech retired and he was a chain smoker. His laptop and everything was disgusting. We threw it in a bag and won't touch it. Cables, laptop, router, phone, etc.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Back when I worked in a mom and pop store the policy was to refuse to work on physically filthy computers. If we got one with a guy/gal who chain smoked at their computer or had real bugs in it we'd charge $50 and return the computer. Great for morale at least since popping one smoker's computer open was enough for me. I knew something was up with that thing when the dude rolled in and I could drat near smell him from another room.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in.

Now see, I would refuse this mainly on the grounds that I will probably gently caress up the cable and the walls trying to do this.

So what I'm telling you to do is gently caress everything up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nexxai posted:

If it's such a big project, why wasn't the project given enough time to procure assets? What happens if Lenovo can't deliver next day due to weather issues?

I work for the government. Lots of people up high make decisions and then a ticket comes down to me. I often have no idea what's going on aside from "give this thing network connectivity." It's best when I set it up the way I'm told and try to troubleshoot why it doesn't work. I call up some other guy someone tells me about and he says the whole thing is wrong.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Baby Town Frolics posted:

A former telephony tech retired and he was a chain smoker. His laptop and everything was disgusting. We threw it in a bag and won't touch it. Cables, laptop, router, phone, etc.

You think a chain smokers poo poo smells bad, you should handle some gear that's been in a cigarette production facility. The tobacco dust gets into every possible nook and cranny and it smells like rear end, it's also ever so slightly sticky, thus killing the lifespan of anything with a switch or slider. Add in a slight sting of menthol aroma as well, it's loving awful and I hate when we get a box that's been sent to the factory first, stinks up the office for days. God help you if you have to go to the factory, that smell carries on your clothes and gets in your car and you catch whiffs of it for days. The facilities that pre-process the tobacco, especially for smokeless, are even worse.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What is the polite way of telling someone in a ticket that their English language skills suck poo poo and they need to go find someone else to communicate with you instead of submitting gibberish?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sylink posted:

What is the polite way of telling someone in a ticket that their English language skills suck poo poo and they need to go find someone else to communicate with you instead of submitting gibberish?

Translationparty

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

vosk posted:

A ticket came in!

We finally got hit by that cryptolocker malware. Somebody set it loose in one of our remote office fileshares. ~600 gb, so not too big of a share.

We got hit by this about a month back. I was surprised it took so long for us to get hit considering how big our user base.

Luckily we back our file shares up. Only thing people will lose is anything on the laptop (and a stern encouraging to use the file shares).

I've been looking at the new nasty piece of work from the back door thread. Amazing piece of work.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

guppy posted:

I may have mentioned this some time back, but I was once asked to deal with a computer that literally had organic matter growing on it. I told them I wasn't touching it until it had been cleaned and disinfected.

It always amazes me how clumsy people can be when it comes to spilling things on laptops or somehow getting poo poo in every nook and cranny. I've dealt with clients who accidentally spilled beer on them, a woman who caked on so much make-up near her laptop that various products caked up the keyboard and somehow got into the vents/fan, guys working for a construction company that had all sorts of dirt and junk caked on their laptops, but never had anything that was considered biohazard or "growing".

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
A rejection came in... No :yotj: for me this week :smith:.

The president of the company my friend + his boss said I was a shoe-in for a position at has decided to merge the position I was being considered for with the other position they were hiring for, which apparently requires a voice wizard with tons of experience with freeswitch. The rest of the company agrees they need somebody with my skillset, yesterday, but he'd rather search high and low for a candidate with both skillsets than hire the guy who's right here, and have to hire a different person to do a second, unrelated job, I guess.

I posted in the Job Fair thread but I'm not optimistic; are there many success stories in there? Anybody know of a place to look for technical jobs in the GTA area that isn't craigslist, or know of any companies hiring technical people in the GTA? At this point I might even aim for somewhere like Bell/Telus/Rogers/Primus and start way low on the totem pole. Currently I am very eager to just to get the heck out of this increasingly precarious and erratic 100 user, 3 site, 1 IT person environment. I thought that was going to happen this week and now my mind is set on it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

Yeah it's been vexing us for a few months. It happens on multiple machines, to multiple users, and there isn't any real commonality between them besides Office 365. We don't use outlook. One was running 10.8, One had 10.9.1. One was fine for months, then suddenly prompted for reentering credentials, and it's been fine for about a month. Like I mentioned one had it happen every morning for three days (and counting, actually.) One was a Macbook Pro, two of them have been Airs. If I had any other things I could try I would have done that and wouldn't have put in a ticket.
We've had users experience that same thing on Outlook 14.3.9 as well as Mail.app. One person got it to go away by opening Calendar and removing all of the travel time entries on events. That would only help for your 10.9.x users through, and would be a long shot.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Migishu posted:

We got hit by this about a month back. I was surprised it took so long for us to get hit considering how big our user base.

Luckily we back our file shares up. Only thing people will lose is anything on the laptop (and a stern encouraging to use the file shares).

I've been looking at the new nasty piece of work from the back door thread. Amazing piece of work.

I feel that my company is unusual in the fact that we back up all of our employee's laptops and don't use the fileshares for that purpose. We currently use autonomy's connected backup to grab all ~15k laptops that float around all of our campuses. It's surprisingly not much more expensive than doing it in house, although that may change as HP makes its ownership felt upon Autonomy.

I actually do backups as my primary responsibility, which ends making me a strange hybrid of DBA, sysadmin, and network engineer. At least I don't have to deal with tapes.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
"Is there a way to prevent Windows from ever force restarting for updates? I lost a bunch of work from last night because of it. It’s not the first time."

The general consensus was telling him we could put him on a Linux machine and make him learn a new OS (and not be able to use most of our applications), or start saving his work when he leaves for the night.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Theresa Frontpage posted:

I posted in the Job Fair thread but I'm not optimistic; are there many success stories in there? Anybody know of a place to look for technical jobs in the GTA area that isn't craigslist, or know of any companies hiring technical people in the GTA? At this point I might even aim for somewhere like Bell/Telus/Rogers/Primus and start way low on the totem pole. Currently I am very eager to just to get the heck out of this increasingly precarious and erratic 100 user, 3 site, 1 IT person environment. I thought that was going to happen this week and now my mind is set on it.

Sign up for this. There's a free trial. It's an absolute godsend for job hunting in Ottawa and Toronto.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

skipdogg posted:

We once had a laptop returned to us from an Indian gentleman that had curry smell just embedded into the plastic. It wasn't coming out and stank up a good chunk of the office. We just wiped it and tossed it, it wasn't fit to be reused.

Back when I worked at the help desk in college we got merged with the AV rental desk which included checking out laptops to students. There was a decent sized population of Nepalese exchange students (which seemed odd given the school was in Northern Missouri) and most, if not all, of them checked out laptops constantly. As a result they all smelled like curry, mainly the laptop bags, and so did the entire help desk area since they just sat in a cabinet in the back. The IT department soon had a monthly Frebreze budget the Frebreze barely did anything.

Also having to check out and in all the AV equipment and test it each time to ensure it was in working order didn't slow ticket flow- down at all, nope :v:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Featured Creature posted:

"Is there a way to prevent Windows from ever force restarting for updates? I lost a bunch of work from last night because of it. It’s not the first time."

The general consensus was telling him we could put him on a Linux machine and make him learn a new OS (and not be able to use most of our applications), or start saving his work when he leaves for the night.

The best users, especially if it prompts to restart every 60 minutes and they keep canceling it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Not a ticket but...

I just got an email from glassdoor with some new "Systems Administrator" jobs in my area. One of them stands out a bit though.

I think I may apply for that one, I think I have the required experience down.

None of those are really System Admin job but that is to be expected from glassdoor, at least in this area.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Regarding the whole "need servers yesterday thing" I have been guilty of that recently, although I just asked the server team to spin up ~10 VMs*, they bitched and whined that we should plan ahead.

Funny story, we did plan ahead, we planned on running a new version of the site on the current architecture, but the powers that be decided that they wanted to have the new and old site running at the same time last week and they want this in less than two weeks.

* A VM environment that is exclusive to us but they still don't give us access to vSphere to spin up our own poo poo, all they literally had to do was spin up 10 VMs and configure their network (info which we get from the network team for them), we take care of everything after that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A knowledge base article came in...

From 2005!

When you're importing old poo poo into your new KB (Which can be awesome, don't get me wrong. Yay, preservation of information!) please try to get the proper dates on it so that I'm not clicking on something that says 2012 and getting something from 7 years and 3 versions prior.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trastion posted:

Not a ticket but...

I just got an email from glassdoor with some new "Systems Administrator" jobs in my area. One of them stands out a bit though.

I think I may apply for that one, I think I have the required experience down.

None of those are really System Admin job but that is to be expected from glassdoor, at least in this area.

Whats the job market like in GR these days for Sys Admins and other IT positions? I can't stand the high COL or renting anymore where I am now and would love to move back.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sirotan posted:

Whats the job market like in GR these days for Sys Admins and other IT positions? I can't stand the high COL or renting anymore where I am now and would love to move back.

Very lovely unless your a programmer. Or if you want to work for an MSP or one of the 3 or 4 call centers in town now. I work for a small company and I like my job and the people but I want a raise and the only way I am getting that is jumping ship. I am being picky though so it may not be too bad if you need something and aren't as picky.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Some contractor companies will let you choose your assignment, see if you can start working for a bunch of high profile companys. I guess I'm lucky that I've worked for a handful of Global 500 companies, looks good for HR fodder.

Too bad it'll only help to get other Helpdesk like positions, but you never know.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 13, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A ticket went out...

Our extensions at work are ringing with calls from themselves. That is, ext 827 will get calls form 827, randomly. If the line is picked up, it is dead. If it goes to voicemail, it's empty and about 3 seconds long.

This is happening with every extension.

It really sucks for me because I work from home. My work phone will just start ringing at like 2am. I've taken to unplugging it at night.

I asked our IT guy what's up, and he said it's a "hacking attempt" on our PBX system.

I think that's bullshit, but I can't find anything.

Does anyone have any idea?

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
A ticket came in...

from 911.

To dial out on my phone I have to hit 9, and I always hit 1 before the area code out of habit. Accidentally hit a second 1. Noticed immediately, and hung up. Apparently not fast enough. Got a voicemail a moment later from a dispatcher telling me they'd gotten a hung up call and were dispatching an officer. Had to call back.

Oops.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Malkar posted:

A ticket came in...

from 911.

To dial out on my phone I have to hit 9, and I always hit 1 before the area code out of habit. Accidentally hit a second 1. Noticed immediately, and hung up. Apparently not fast enough. Got a voicemail a moment later from a dispatcher telling me they'd gotten a hung up call and were dispatching an officer. Had to call back.

Oops.

Yeah, if you accidentally dial 911, stay on the line and let them know that it was an accident. They'll be annoyed but understand.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, if you accidentally dial 911, stay on the line and let them know that it was an accident. They'll be annoyed but understand.

Truth. Much less annoyed than an officer who has to show up.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whenever we bring up a new set of lines to our PBX we have to test 911 functionality. Dialing 911 or 9911 has to ring emergency services so we get to call them twice. They always sound grumpy when we do it, but it's better than a false alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

Whenever we bring up a new set of lines to our PBX we have to test 911 functionality. Dialing 911 or 9911 has to ring emergency services so we get to call them twice. They always sound grumpy when we do it, but it's better than a false alarm.

Here's what I do whenever I am putting in a phone system and have to call 911: "Hi, this is X calling from Y, we are testing 911 on a new phone system. Could you give me the displayed address for this phone number? I want to make sure we have the right address listed, per 911 requirements."

They're usually happy to help!

• Locked thread