Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Going to throw this out there because its almost Valentine's Day.

Best Valentine's Day episode of anything ever:

30 Rock season 3, "St. Valentine's Day"
Jon Hamm, Maria Thayer (the redhead from Eagleheart) and Salma Hayek guest star. Liz meets Dr. Drew's mother, Jack goes to confession and Kenneth dates a blind girl. This is 30 Rock firing on all cylinders and has a ton of amazing one-liners and gags. Just about a perfect half hour of comedy.

That Supernatural VD episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

That cold opening was something else.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

Some people think it improved, but it still felt mediocre to me.

Well that's disappointing. :sigh: I guess I'll hope I end up in the former category. I really want to like it. I think the cast is good and I'm interested in where it's going, but I think its presentation is pretty lame so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought s2 was streets ahead of s1, fwiw.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The episode White Tulip is completely self-contained and probably one of my favorite time travel stories ever.

Sure, yeah, White Tulip is amazing, but X-Files has like, five episodes as good. And I've only gotten halfway through the fourth season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regy Rusty posted:

Well that's disappointing. :sigh: I guess I'll hope I end up in the former category. I really want to like it. I think the cast is good and I'm interested in where it's going, but I think its presentation is pretty lame so far.

It's pretty much the exact same; included treating the viewer like an idiot. I got kind of bored of it come the middle of Season Two.

However just to trump the last CONTROVERSIAL OPINION about Fringe I think it basically went downhill from the last episode of Season Two and never recovered, which is a shame, because the first and (majority of the) second season were amazing.

Also LEGO is fun to type in all capitals because it's a fun brand and gently caress it - LEGO. LEGO.

Now, TV QUESTION TIME; I've just finished watching Rectify with my girlfriend and I'm trying to think of another series to watch with her. I've seen a lot of the big shows and loved them, but I'm still unsure what I should recommend next.

She liked Breaking Bad and Mad Men, she liked Rectify and LOVED Friday Night Lights. Comedy isn't something she's a big fan of, we watched some of Community and Parks and Rec but she stalled out. She likes The Vampire Diaries and Fringe, but I'm kind of bored of science fiction at the moment myself so I'm looking more for drama, preferably short seasons or something that there's a lot of to binge.

I was thinking Game of Thrones but I'd love other recommendations based on the above.

Thanks guys!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The HBO pantheon is the go-to for GF related binge watching.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I thought s2 was streets ahead of s1, fwiw.

Do you mean streets ahead legitimately, or streets ahead as in beating a dead horse?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

The HBO pantheon is the go-to for GF related binge watching.

If she loved Friday Night Lights, then maybe he should skew younger. Something like Gossip Girl, The O.C. or Glee.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Irish Joe posted:

If she loved Friday Night Lights, then maybe he should skew younger. Something like Gossip Girl, The O.C. or Glee.

PriorMarcia sounds like she is into some sick and depraved poo poo considering whom she's dating, so she'd probably love the likes of American Horror Story and The Bridge.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Orange is the New Black. Louie. Orphan Black is sci-fi, but really good drama as well. Hannibal.

And FNL is a drama for adults, doofus.

EDIT: It never concentrated enough on the typical CW love triangle bullshit to ensnare the younger crowd demographic, anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Joramun posted:

PriorMarcia sounds like she is into some sick and depraved poo poo considering whom she's dating, so she'd probably love the likes of American Horror Story and The Bridge.

Is this just because you don't agree with my opinions?

Shageletic posted:

Orange is the New Black. Louie. Orphan Black is sci-fi, but really good drama as well. Hannibal.

And FNL is a drama for adults, doofus.

EDIT: It never concentrated enough on the typical CW love triangle bullshit to ensnare the younger crowd demographic, anyway.

These are really good suggestions, thank you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Do you mean streets ahead legitimately, or streets ahead as in beating a dead horse?

Nah I thought it was a lot better.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yoshifan823 posted:

I know you all feel about Girls the way I feel about... something I really don't like, whatever, but this weeks episode has two things going for it:

1). It features the quote, "Fedoras are worse than genocide"
Jesus, worse than genocide? Sounds a little too edgy for me, but I do admire they were bold enough to go after the fedora crowd.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bash all you want, but I know that if Peralta had said that exact line to Boyle in B99 there would be 5 of these:

quote:

fedoras are worse than genocide!!!

back to back to back to back to back in that thread.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

But all 5 of them would be from Maxwell Lord.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Genocide can have material or social benefits for the stronger group looking to exterminate the weaker group, there is no excuse for fedoras.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Some would argue that those who don fedoras are actually signalling their status as acceptable genocide targets.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are fedorable.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You guys are fedorable.

I think you mean fedorkable.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 13, 2014

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least sporks serve a useful function.

edit: Complaining about typing it LEGO in the subforum that typed LOST itt

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

precision posted:

Two, even.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Are you suggesting birth control is not a useful function?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fedora is better than the pork pie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Let's just admit that hats, as a general rule, are terrible.

Except cowboy hats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baller hat wearers: Raylan Givens, ????

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Now, TV QUESTION TIME; I've just finished watching Rectify with my girlfriend and I'm trying to think of another series to watch with her. I've seen a lot of the big shows and loved them, but I'm still unsure what I should recommend next.

She liked Breaking Bad and Mad Men, she liked Rectify and LOVED Friday Night Lights. Comedy isn't something she's a big fan of, we watched some of Community and Parks and Rec but she stalled out. She likes The Vampire Diaries and Fringe, but I'm kind of bored of science fiction at the moment myself so I'm looking more for drama, preferably short seasons or something that there's a lot of to binge.

I was thinking Game of Thrones but I'd love other recommendations based on the above.

Thanks guys!

I'm late but watch Hannibal. First season is 13 episodes and you'll be all caught up to watch season 2 when it starts in 16 days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Fedora is better than the pork pie

I still can't get over how goddamned ridiculous she looked wearing that hat in that show.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

zoux posted:

Louise Belcher

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Indiana Jones.

Sebastian Stan in Once Upon a Time.

The Cat.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Carl

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Let's just admit that hats, as a general rule, are terrible.

Except cowboy hats.

Only hat that doesn't signify a broken person* under regular circumstances is a snow hat, and only when it's really loving cold.

* Especially cowboy hats.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Comcast is buying Time Warner Cable

I'm not kidding

DAVID FABER ‏@davidfaber
Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable in all stock deal worth $159 per $TWC share- sources. Deal set for tomorrow morning. Ratio is 2.875 $CMCSA.

Comcast will indicate willingness to divest 3m subs from combination with $TWC- sources.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How the gently caress are the feds gonna allow that?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Where's FDR when you need him

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Shageletic posted:

I'm imagining a show about a dangerous outbreak of ghost herpes and refuse to be disabused of the notion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vertical Lime posted:

Comcast is buying Time Warner Cable

I'm not kidding

DAVID FABER ‏@davidfaber
Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable in all stock deal worth $159 per $TWC share- sources. Deal set for tomorrow morning. Ratio is 2.875 $CMCSA.

Comcast will indicate willingness to divest 3m subs from combination with $TWC- sources.

Yay monopolies!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

How the gently caress are the feds gonna allow that?

Yeah, I'm not sure why they think it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Only hat that doesn't signify a broken person* under regular circumstances is a snow hat, and only when it's really loving cold.

A friend of mine in the Navy gave me a peacoat and one of those Russian style fuzzy hats for Christmas, I like to wear them both and walk around calling everyone comrade.

On that note, there's about a foot of snow outside and it just keeps coming. SNOWBALL FIGHT!

• Locked thread