Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What he should've done is play the Rin marriage totally straight :v: and had it be appropriately sappy with Toriko giving it more than 2 seconds of thought and no one being confused about it.

Then when some fan inevitably asks him about the hundreds of pages of homoerotic tension and dong imagery he could be like ":confused: Huh? Toriko is like the exemplar of manliness, of course he's straight!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

That hermit nitro was totally the one right after the president in the historical lineup

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fabricated posted:

What he should've done is play the Rin marriage totally straight :v: and had it be appropriately sappy with Toriko giving it more than 2 seconds of thought and no one being confused about it.

Then when some fan inevitably asks him about the hundreds of pages of homoerotic tension and dong imagery he could be like ":confused: Huh? Toriko is like the exemplar of manliness, of course he's straight!"

I dunno, I kinda like "what does that have to do with this? :confused: " in regards to his combo with Komatsu.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Toriko kind of fascinates me from a cultural studies perspective. The homoerotic and homoromantic themes are so in your face that I have a hard time believing that any of it is unintentional - but since I'm not Japanese I dont have the cultural context required to understand it. It's a blatantly gay series running in a mainstream magazine marketed towards young boys within a cultural context that, until now, I understood to be less than accepting of homosexuals. I constantly feel like I'm missing some vital part of the puzzle.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Law Cheetah posted:

Toriko kind of fascinates me from a cultural studies perspective. The homoerotic and homoromantic themes are so in your face that I have a hard time believing that any of it is unintentional - but since I'm not Japanese I dont have the cultural context required to understand it. It's a blatantly gay series running in a mainstream magazine marketed towards young boys within a cultural context that, until now, I understood to be less than accepting of homosexuals. I constantly feel like I'm missing some vital part of the puzzle.

It's not gay when it's manly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

It's definitely surprising in some ways. To quote the first Google result for "toriko homoerotic," "Y'know for a manga made by a guy who had his last manga end by sleeping with a 16 year old [female] prostitute, Toriko is pretty drat homoerotic sometimes." In general, though, at least some segments of Japanese culture are OK with homoerotic stuff as long as it's presented in a deliberately unrealistic way.

(Linked for being slightly NSFW)

http://i.imgur.com/yRvYvJn.jpg

It works much the same way with lesbians and yuri.

That doesn't fully explain Toriko, though, because the "manly" elements make it closer to "real homos" than fujoshi tend to like.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

What's this from, pray tell? Is the rest of it as good as that page?

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Whatever the really big twist of Toriko is it's going to be ridiculously over the top, hilarious and probably pretty awesome at the same time.

I mean at this point the gourmet cells are basically like the symbiotes from Spider Man. All those times Toriko has spoken with his goofy battle-demon image weren't just figurative hallucinations of him reasoning with his Id or whatever; he's literally talking to an alien organism that's renting his body.

Isn't this most likely exactly it? - gourmet cells are fragments of some interstellar gourmet monster that eats worlds. It "seeded" earth with a giant gourmet asteroid so all sorts of delicious food would evolve by the time its main body arrived. Nitro are previous victims of the monster from another galaxy and "Final Land" is some alien cooking weapon developed by ancient Nitro scientists to destroy the monster. Alternatively, the monster is the meteorite, hibernating beneath the surface of the world.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silento posted:

What's this from, pray tell? Is the rest of it as good as that page?

Not sure. I first saw it posted by someone else on SA (possibly in one of the PYF mock threads).

YourHealthyColon posted:

Isn't this most likely exactly it? - gourmet cells are fragments of some interstellar gourmet monster that eats worlds. It "seeded" earth with a giant gourmet asteroid so all sorts of delicious food would evolve by the time its main body arrived.

Have you been reading a certain web serial (the tesseract beings from Worm), or was this concept already a cliche before that? Not the planet-eating part (I already know that's a fairly common concept) but the seeding powers that would evolve and be reabsorbed part.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Toriko is actually about Lavos.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Silento posted:

Toriko is actually about Lavos.

I was just about to post about this. Chrono Trigger had an alien being that landed on a planet like a meteorite and guided the evolution of life on that planet with the intention of eventually emerging and consuming everything. Final Fantasy 7 also had a "Calamity From the Skies" with a similar goal, minus the guided evolution part.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 13, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Law Cheetah posted:

He may not have intended it originally but he definitely realizes it now and pokes fun at it. I mean look at the jokes in the current chapter. He's gotta be self-aware.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Law Cheetah posted:

I was just about to post about this. Chrono Trigger had an alien being that landed on a planet like a meteorite and guided the evolution of life on that planet with the intention of eventually emerging and consuming everything. Final Fantasy 7 also had a "Calamity From the Skies" with a similar goal, minus the guided evolution part.

Kill la kill does too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Kill la kill does too.

Can't believe I forgot that one.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

YourHealthyColon posted:

Isn't this most likely exactly it? - gourmet cells are fragments of some interstellar gourmet monster that eats worlds. It "seeded" earth with a giant gourmet asteroid so all sorts of delicious food would evolve by the time its main body arrived. Nitro are previous victims of the monster from another galaxy and "Final Land" is some alien cooking weapon developed by ancient Nitro scientists to destroy the monster. Alternatively, the monster is the meteorite, hibernating beneath the surface of the world.

I've said it before, but Galactus sends Lavos to Earth in order to make the planet more delicious when he arrives to consume it.

They are going to find GOD (Lavos) but then find out that Lavos was only the appetizer, and that Galactus, who has done this spanning countless eons, is the real main course, and that he is going to be loving delicious.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Can't believe I forgot that one.

Well it was only revealed last week.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Not that we discuss the anime much in this thread, but if you have watched 142, you realized they went WAY off script.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Seebach posted:

Not that we discuss the anime much in this thread, but if you have watched 142, you realized they went WAY off script.

It's also ending in April, or at least its losing its timeslot for the new season of DBZ Kai.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Yeah they changed a ton of stuff. I have to believe that the anime is going to finish out the arc and then go on hiatus so the manga can get a healthy lead. The end of the first season of Magi did the same thing and when season 2 started it went on as if the filler end crap didn't exist. Beelzebub is another example which I really hope will come back.

At least we get to see Jiro bust out

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

bondster posted:

It's also ending in April, or at least its losing its timeslot for the new season of DBZ Kai.

Yeah I figured it was ending so they could get some time between.

But seriously, that script jump was just crazy.

Reiche posted:

At least we get to see Jiro bust out

I'm sad he didn't blow the nitro's head off though.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

I'm sad he didn't blow the nitro's head off though.

It wasn't even that graphic in the manga. It's head just pops like a bubble.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
:parrot:New Chapter:parrot:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

That's the cutest most ugliest bird ever :3:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Best chapter ever.

Food rube goldberg.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I like how the last step was :byodood:FEAR:byodood:.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Such a great chapter.

As I go back and reread it however, there is terminology that has changed, and now makes it feel a bit weird to read.

Bishokukai is being translated into "Gourmet Corp", and Chefs are now translated into cooks.

So the 2nd time I went and read it, all I could think of, "Jesse, we need to cook".

Seebach fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 19, 2014

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Man. This is why I started reading Toriko, and this is why I could never let it go. I wonder what kind of face they'll make the first time they try the awful bird.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

Such a great chapter.

As I go back and reread it however, there is terminology that has changed, and now makes it feel a bit weird to read.

Bishokukai is being translated into "Gourmet Corp", and Chefs are now translated into cooks.

So the 2nd time I went and read it, all I could think of, "Jesse, we need to cook".

Did you read Mangastream's version? They've decided to start releasing Toriko again. The one who has been releasing it (Hiwamatanoboru) uses Bishokukai and chefs, etc.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Reiche posted:

Did you read Mangastream's version? They've decided to start releasing Toriko again. The one who has been releasing it (Hiwamatanoboru) uses Bishokukai and chefs, etc.

For the lazy

Awesome chapter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I feel kind of bad for Livebearer, not even hearing the voices of ingredients anymore.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when the earth is overrun by Billion Birds?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

I feel kind of bad for Livebearer, not even hearing the voices of ingredients anymore.

Did he ever? I thought he, and most chefs at that, didn't/couldn't, and Komatsu was the exception rather than the rule. Edit: Thoguh some of the other great chefs here obviously can, given what they're saying.

On that topic, rereading the chapter it's hilarious how Livebearer knows exactly what needs to be done, but just watches everyone act like idiots instead of telling them what to do.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 20, 2014

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't feel too bad for him, because whereas he doesn't hear voices, he's already tasted the data of countless foods that may put most others to shame.

Reiche posted:

Yes I did read Mangastream. I know I'm nitpicking this, but it just feels weird after so much time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pawl posted:

Isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when the earth is overrun by Billion Birds?

This really is a short-term plan until they can get the ecosystem back into balance through gourmet-magic. The billion bird seems to only be able to breed through a specific environment and fear. Given how blasted out the rest of the human world is, and that the billion bird has no natural predators to incite fear it should only be able to reproduce as long as humans need it too.

The real mission now is making it tasty enough for people to accept into their diets.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This is the goofiest ingredient yet.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

This really is a short-term plan until they can get the ecosystem back into balance through gourmet-magic.

This reminds me.

What happened to the lakes, rivers, and seas that are made up of ingredients?

Or Booze.

Did Meteor Spice evaporate it all?

Isn't there an island made entirely of rice? Or a landmass that is chocolate pudding or some other nonsense.

I mean how did this attack destroy every possible food outcome in human world to require such a measure as the Billion Bird?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Brought To You By posted:

This really is a short-term plan until they can get the ecosystem back into balance through gourmet-magic. The billion bird seems to only be able to breed through a specific environment and fear. Given how blasted out the rest of the human world is, and that the billion bird has no natural predators to incite fear it should only be able to reproduce as long as humans need it too.

The real mission now is making it tasty enough for people to accept into their diets.

There are 30 billion hungry predators for the newly introduced, and literally, only food source in the entire human world. Also, they literally say " give birth under any conditions in any environment", so don't know exactly where you got that part from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are also the underground and aquatic ingredients. For that matter, why was every single seed, egg and embryo destroyed? It is kind of a silly situation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

There are 30 billion hungry predators for the newly introduced, and literally, only food source in the entire human world. Also, they literally say " give birth under any conditions in any environment", so don't know exactly where you got that part from.

When they want to trim the bird population they can just get Zebra to yell at them a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

The chapter says that only eggs from the original parent hatch immediately, which unless there's another catch, means that only 1 of those birds is capable of flooding the planet with instant chicks. The rest of the eggs from the children will still need a tree and nest from Ichiryuu's full course to hatch so it should be relatively easy to control the population.

• Locked thread