Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I ran a somewhat casual Izzet deck pre-BNG, here's a slightly more serious take I plan on putting together soonish with BNG cards. It plays the control role against aggro and can burn out control, but can stumble against midrange decks that drop fatties and turn them sideways. Overall it's a bit lower on the curve than Ramos's list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Any reason you're running Inspiration over Divination? I can't see needing to give your opponents more cards.

e: Ah perhaps instant speed works better with the Guttersnipes. I understand it.

Yeah, turn 3 always goes to Guttersnipe. Otherwise, I want to take my turn at the end of my opponent's turn.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I ran a somewhat casual Izzet deck pre-BNG, here's a slightly more serious take I plan on putting together soonish with BNG cards. It plays the control role against aggro and can burn out control, but can stumble against midrange decks that drop fatties and turn them sideways. Overall it's a bit lower on the curve than Ramos's list.

I still need to check out Satyr Firedancer. How is he?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I did not get to playtest much with him and I only had one in my deck but every time I drew him I was ecstatic. It's basically a reverse Guttersnipe, possibly even better if you're playing mostly burn spells.

edit: against creature-heavy decks, that is. Against control decks or if you're running counters and bounce spells it'll be less spectacular.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 13, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I'm going to assume this is the announcement for Conspiracy but I'm just going to wait for someone else to figure it out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

I'm going to assume this is the announcement for Conspiracy but I'm just going to wait for someone else to figure it out.

WE'RE GOING BACK TO PHYREXIA?! :supaburn:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even without translating a few things are clear.

June 6 release, MSRP of 3.99, so it's boosters not a fixed set.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 13, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
If they can make a draft set half as fun as MMA with twice the availability I will be pretty jazzed.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Older than Heliod, the supposed Zeus of this Pantheon?

drat :stare:

Zeus got his position not by being the oldest, or even the most powerful, but by being the most wily. Hades is actually stated to be the most powerful of the Olympians, which is why him getting tricked into getting the "worst" dominion is funny.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

BXCX posted:

Googling a tiny bit, the name is "Conspiracy", and it uses the same cipher code that Cogwork Librarian did. So, this should be trivial to decode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Zeus got his position not by being the oldest, or even the most powerful, but by being the most wily. Hades is actually stated to be the most powerful of the Olympians, which is why him getting tricked into getting the "worst" dominion is funny.

I always thought Zeus got his position by being the one to not get eaten by his daddy.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Suenteus Po posted:

Googling a tiny bit, the name is "Conspiracy", and it uses the same cipher code that Cogwork Librarian did. So, this should be trivial to decode.

Unfortunately this isn't a simple exchange cipher. This is something more complicated than the first one was.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
There are a billion myths of it, choose whichever you want. Homer and Hesiod are probably the 'best' sources because they had some extra time on their side and widely accepted by the Greeks as having some religious authority. Both of them show Zeus off as by far the most powerful god.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

What a Judas posted:

Unfortunately this isn't a simple exchange cipher. This is something more complicated than the first one was.

Huh, guess I saw that the title was encoded the same way and leaped to conclusions.

If they actually enciphered the name of the set differently from the rest of it just to throw people off, I will be amused.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You can use the M15 announcement page as a template. I haven't figured out the substitution scheme yet though.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1401

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
From this post:

quote:

Pick. Plot. Play.

Experience a Magic format where the intrigues begin long before the first spells are cast! Revolutionary new abilities impact every part of the play experience, starting with the draft itself.

Cogwork Librarian—One of the sixty new Magic cards in Conspiracy.

The first-ever multiplayer-focused booster set has new Magic cards with new mechanics that enhance multiplayer play. Returning favorites from throughout Magic's history round out the set and cultivate an environment of deception and treachery. The Magic:The Gathering–Conspiracy set is designed to be drafted with six to eight players who then split into groups of three or four players for free-for-all multiplayer games.

Number of Cards:210
Release Date:June 6, 2014
Three-letter abbreviation:CNS
Twitter Hashtag:#MTGCNS
Initial Concept and Game Design:Shawn Main (lead), Dan Helland, David Humpherys, Kenneth Nagle, and Matt Tabak
Final Game Design and Development:David Humpherys (lead), Dan Emmons, K. Joseph Huber, Sam Stoddard, and Gavin Verhey, with contributions from Matt Tabak
Languages:English, Japanese, Chinese Simplified
Available in:Booster Packs

Key Points:
Multiplayer Booster Draft Format
15 Card Booster Packs (MSRP $3.99) 36 Packs per Display
Black-Bordered Cards

Release event promo card at participating WPN locations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

Initial Concept and Game Design:Shawn Main (lead), Dan Helland, David Humpherys, Kenneth Nagle, and Matt Tabak

Calling it: he's finally made pwnage work by letting you steal cards from your opponents' draft pools.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
With it going for 3-4 player FFA matches, having 9 people show up for a draft is going to be way less awkward.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
e: welp, late and broke tables

e2: Have the card art for the librarian:

It's common :aaa:

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
:lol: Conspiracy code broken in less than a hour. I give them credit for trying.

While I'm happy to see this new set, haven't people tried this before and it didn't work out well? I mean yes this is designed from the ground up to work in a multiplayer setting but it seems too commandery in a bad way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I always thought Zeus got his position by being the one to not get eaten by his daddy.

The gods drew lots / sticks to see who got what territory / dominion, and Zeus basically cheated because he knew which one was the biggest one, which was the Heavens and the most desirable territory, what since it's basically "hey you get to be King of the Gods".

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Conspiracy sounds awesome. I'm totally OK with Wizards putting out a special drafting set every summer from here on out.

Apparently there will be a bunch of reprints to, so maybe it's kind of another "greatest hits" set like MM was.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Korak posted:

:lol: Conspiracy code broken in less than a hour. I give them credit for trying.

While I'm happy to see this new set, haven't people tried this before and it didn't work out well? I mean yes this is designed from the ground up to work in a multiplayer setting but it seems too commandery in a bad way.

At the very least people who cube will be all over this poo poo - especially the cards that mess with the draft itself. Plus there's always the odd chance that the set has Legacy playables in it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

bhsman posted:

Block-recur-recast (2 damage via Purphoros) with Murder King must be the most maddening thing you can do to someone with this deck.

Well, it would be if they understood what all your cards do none of them do :ssh:.

EDIT: Part of me wants to sit down and just write out all the different interactions this deck has.
Do this. :D

Zonekeeper posted:

At the very least people who cube will be all over this poo poo - especially the cards that mess with the draft itself. Plus there's always the odd chance that the set has Legacy playables in it.
Oh I agree it's going to be a fun attempt to bring a lot of different minded players together. Limited junkies might enjoy it. Cube/commander players definitely should enjoy it. It's just my philosophy of what WotC should be doing with every set is pushing Standard/Modern, and this set doesn't look like it will be allowed in any other format?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

The gods drew lots / sticks to see who got what territory / dominion, and Zeus basically cheated because he knew which one was the biggest one, which was the Heavens and the most desirable territory, what since it's basically "hey you get to be King of the Gods".

So basically chock up another one for "Zeus is an enormous dick."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Korak posted:

Do this. :D
Oh I agree it's going to be a fun attempt to bring a lot of different minded players together. Limited junkies might enjoy it. Cube/commander players definitely should enjoy it. It's just my philosophy of what WotC should be doing with every set is pushing Standard/Modern, and this set doesn't look like it will be allowed in any other format?

Note that Commander decks don't do anything to advance Standard/Modern either, and this is more like one of those than it is an actual set. Especially since we're still getting three expansions + a core set this year.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Hopefully there's a Goblin Game reprint.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Fish Of Doom posted:

Conspiracy sounds awesome. I'm totally OK with Wizards putting out a special drafting set every summer from here on out.

Apparently there will be a bunch of reprints to, so maybe it's kind of another "greatest hits" set like MM was.

Crossing my fingers this isn't a limited print run (also hopeful there are some fun new Cube-able cards).

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Hopefully there's a Goblin Game reprint.

Let's play a game R
Search your library. If you reveal a card with the word play or game in the title, you may put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.

logis fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 13, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Count Bleck posted:

So basically chock up another one for "Zeus is an enormous dick."

Zeus is ranked 1 as biggest dick in the Pantheon, with Poseidon following him - kinda glad that Hades isn't a huge prick, mostly.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Extremely sweet cube vid by LSV posted today: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-cube-draft-24/

Nearly mono-blue Opposition deck with really sweet Master of Waves/Tradewind Rider/Aether Vial/Teferi/Mystic Snake/etc shenanigans. In classic LSV style he draws nearly every good card he needs exactly when he needs them but that just makes an awesome engine like deck this one that much more fun to watch. Match 1 is especially brutal for his opponent.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
"Hades is harsh and unyielding, so he is the most hated by mortals of all the gods."
Iliad 9. Hades submits his claim to being dick #1.

How do I put this? The stories absorbed by casually interested modern people about the Greek pantheon and the interpretations put on them and the judgements made of them do not reflect the actual mythology of Greece. At absolute best it involved reading in translation with half decent notes. Far more likely it involved thirdhand transmission if they were lucky, editing and translating severely shaped by the writer's own point of view, abridgements, lumping together different versions of stories from different sources, omitting yet more versions, and a hugely doubtful provision of depth, width and context.

gently caress, I used to laugh at people on my course when I caught them trying to deal with the usual perception of Greek religion and gods. Now I'm doing it myself.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

(doh, completely failed to notice this was posted just a bit back...)

Announcing GVYJTHQXGR:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1429

And somebody on reddit sorted it out in ~30 minutes:
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xs0f1/announcing_gvyjthqxgr/cfe49oq

quote:

Pick. Plot. Play.

Experience a Magic format where the intrigues begin long before the first spells are cast! Revolutionary new abilities impact every part of the play experience, starting with the draft itself.

Cogwork Librarian—One of the sixty new Magic cards in Conspiracy.

The first-ever multiplayer-focused booster set has new Magic cards with new mechanics that enhance multiplayer play. Returning favorites from throughout Magic's history round out the set and cultivate an environment of deception and treachery. The Magic: The Gathering–Conspiracy set is designed to be drafted with six to eight players who then split into groups of three or four players for free-for-all multiplayer games.

Number of Cards: 210
Release Date: June 6, 2014
Three-letter abbreviation: CNS
Twitter Hashtag: #MTGCNS
Initial Concept and Game Design: Shawn Main (lead), Dan Helland, David Humpherys, Kenneth Nagle, and Matt Tabak
Final Game Design and Development: David Humpherys (lead), Dan Emmons, K. Joseph Huber, Sam Stoddard, and Gavin Verhey, with contributions from Matt Tabak
Languages: English, Japanese, Chinese Simplified
Available in: Booster Packs

Key Points:
Multiplayer Booster Draft Format
15 Card Booster Packs (MSRP $3.99)
36 Packs per Display
Black-Bordered Cards

Release event promo card at participating WPN locations.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 13, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Hades is indeed a dick; he runs an afterlife system that's pretty miserable for the vast majority of people in most versions. I don't think he was considered "evil," exactly, but I believe he was the one people were most afraid of.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 13, 2014

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Quinton posted:

(doh, completely failed to notice this was posted just a bit back...)

Announcing GVYJTHQXGR:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1429

And somebody on reddit sorted it out in ~30 minutes:
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xs0f1/announcing_gvyjthqxgr/cfe49oq

Ah ok, it was a simple vigenere cipher with the keyword in the title.

Korak posted:

The cipher they used is probably the most historically studied one, so they weren't really trying for anything but a fun wink and nod.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
as it was people were complaining that it was too hard: https://twitter.com/FoundOmega/status/433834492013588480

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Lurchington posted:

as it was people were complaining that it was too hard: https://twitter.com/FoundOmega/status/433834492013588480

Oh the horror, somebody had to wait 30 minutes for it to get deciphered... instead of 24 hours worst case ("There's a Conspiracy afoot! Read the decrypted announcement Thursday night!")... people have no patience *and* no sense of fun.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Korak posted:

Considering that they didn't use anything more complicated than a Vigenere cipher with an obvious key, I really doubt they were intending for it to be truly difficult to break.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Could Magister of Worth be a one-of in Reanimator? It saves you in situations where you're dead on board otherwise, but I struggle to think of a situation it would be better than Blazing Archon or Griselbrand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I finally did it! I got kicked out of Commander. I went to casual Magic today determined to get people to stop bugging me to play Commander when I don't want to. I was definitely successful.

So for those of you who get stuck playing when you don't want to (I know there's a few of you,) here's how you get out of it:

I actually built a Nicol Bolas deck for this reason but all it ever does is empty everyone else's hands by turn 6 and make the game take even longer.

I started by playing with Maralen, casting her turn 2 in a 6-player game and Ad Nauseam turn 3 for a lethal Sickening Dreams for everyone but me (Glacial Chasm.) Much whining was ignored.

Then I switched to Tajic with the same 5 guys, cast a first turn Serra Ascendant, second turn Inquisitor's Flail and 3rd turn Sword of Light and Shadow, equipping both on turn 4. He got blown up by Smallpox after a few turns of beating, so I spite-cast Obliterate to wipe everything but Tajic and Mogis, ultimated Elspeth 2 a little later to kill everything but lands again, then cast Scourglass the same turn and wiped everyone's attempt to rebuild the next turn because for some reason they don't read cards they don't know. A few turns later half the guys were dead.

I O-ringed one of the 2 remaining guys' Tamiyo so the 3rd guy playing Dakkon Blackblade could untap Dakkon, and Crib Swapped his Nekusar the next turn when it would have killed Dakkon guy. That gave him just enough the turn he needed to get his last 10 unlockable Commander damage in on Nekusar guy. Dakkon guy was left at 1 life, and I had 2 lands and was dead in 3 turns, so I scooped because I was done playing an hour and a half before the game was actually over, and by that point I just wanted Nekusar guy to regret playing. Mission accomplished. I have 4 witnesses who heard him tell me I don't have to play Commander if I hate it so much.

Yes, I realize this is incredibly childish. So is having a hissy fit because I want to play real Magic with people who are fun to play with instead of a 2-hour circle jerk that ends in an infinite combo someone has had in their hand since turn 2. I don't even have infinite combos in my decks anymore. :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Could Magister of Worth be a one-of in Reanimator? It saves you in situations where you're dead on board otherwise, but I struggle to think of a situation it would be better than Blazing Archon or Griselbrand.

If your opponent is merfolk and they've got a couple of lords on board you might want that angel (since Elesh Norn won't cut it at that point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Could you have maybe talked to them instead of intentionally making their playsession miserable? They were possibly having fun and weren't fully aware that you preferred to have fun in different ways.

• Locked thread