Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
My battery is dying. Anyone have recommendations for reliable, lighter weight batteries? It needs to work for a DD in the winter, so those Braille motorcycle batteries probably won't do. I've heard AGM Miata batteries can work?

E: Not looking for the lightest weight possible, but any weight reduction from the front drivers side is certainly welcome.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuccckkk. Tire shop tomorrow morning it is. There goes my cr kai fund

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Neptr posted:

My battery is dying. Anyone have recommendations for reliable, lighter weight batteries? It needs to work for a DD in the winter, so those Braille motorcycle batteries probably won't do. I've heard AGM Miata batteries can work?

I had some luck with a Deka in the deepest darkest parts of the winter.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Rule of thumb RE: tires is all must be within 2/32nd's of each other.

This is what can happen:

At best, the diff will be replaceable and you'll only have binding in the front when heated and clunking in reverse.

At worst:

Boom boom.

These are both cars I have seen and dealt with.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That's tiny! Surely the tires would get worn unevenly by more than that in daily driving? That's funny hosed. My tires are approx 3 mm apart which is double that but the size of them new are identical.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had some luck with a Deka in the deepest darkest parts of the winter.

All right, those look pretty good. Do they fit in the stock location with the stock tie-down?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think Tire Rack says a difference in OD of 0.25" is enough to cause damage on a Subaru. I've driven with a bigger difference in an emergency but it wasn't far - only about 4km, with stoplights, and not driving the speed limit in order to try and reduce how much heat would build up in the VC until I could get home and swap proper tires on.

Neptr posted:

All right, those look pretty good. Do they fit in the stock location with the stock tie-down?

I can't speak to that - it was in a Miata. I just wanted to chip in with my anecdotal evidence on whether or not the batteries can survive balls-cold temperatures.

If you're looking for a Deka, NAPA has a "powersports" battery that is the exact same battery but cheaper.

FWIW, the Miata did need a different tie-down and terminals.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
A friend of mine had his transmission go boom after driving back from the mountain with chains on his front tires only and a donut in the back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The VC is one of the things that subaru REALLY needs to eliminate soon on their cars. It's 80s tech that has no business being in a nearly $30k car now.

(spoken as someone who had their VC grenade and take out a whole transmission)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sold my WRX. Will have a think about what I want to get instead.

This does leave me with a set of Stoptech pads going spare, new and boxed, if any UK guys are interested (are there any others with Subarus?), or if someone in the US is happy to wait until I'm over there in November.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why do they come with a donut spare?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I think the idea is that you're only supposed to use it to drive a couple miles to the tire shop.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

To discourage people from leaving on a full-sized spare that's probably not the right diameter.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Also, don't automatic subarus require you to install the spare in the rear and use a fuse to convert the car to FWD?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
A friend of mine is looking to pick up a second car for fun. This wouldn't be a daily driver, just something to go have some fun with and wrench on. He has been in my WRX a few times now and is bitten by the bug. This would essentially be a toy, but it would be nice to spend more time driving than not.

Prices here in GA are wildly varying but two stand out for very different reasons. Funny enough they are at the same BHPH lot.

The Saab is basically stock and looks to be very clean. It was not there last weekend when we went to look at the 06.

The 06 is pretty clean on the inside sans the cheap stereo. Cobb turbo back, definitely and upgraded IC, cobb short shifter. I looked at the turbo and it is definitely stamped IHI on the band but I couldn't tell which one it was. The car pulled strong and was very quick. There was some smoke from the back but it smelled like it was running rich. Acc belts loooked new, and there were no obvious sounds of distress from the motor. The plan for this car would be an immediate check on the timing belt and then take it over to TopSpeed to see what the tune looks like and have them review/revise it. The allure to this car is the unknown really. It obviously is making considerable power and would require little upgrades, just maintenance items and learning about the unknown with it.

The 05 is, we are assuming until we see it, bone stock and we could pick it up for a good bit less than the 06 and then he could use the cash spared to mod it as he sees fit. Does the Saabaru use the same parts as an 05 WRX suspension and motor wise? I've looked around between some Saab and Subaru boards and there doesn't seem to be a lot on them. I don't know the 2.0l motors and their potential at all really so it is a learning experience for me too.

Anything to check on these cars while we are there? Thoughts from those that have owned or modded either?

Aflicted fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 14, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Found the source of my leak I guess, little split in the bottom of those two hoses. Anyone know where I might find a power steering hose for an ej20k with the low effort PS cooler (a looped hard line in front of the rad)?

e: I think I found the hose, in this exploded diagram. I'm not sure exactly what part number I should give to my dealer though - it's longer than the "34611A" right?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2014

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I wonder what I fried on my Legacy, purchased used with mismatched front and rears. It started making a whirring sound from the front at slow speeds, increasing in frequency as speed increases (not loud as my mechanic couldn't hear it). New tires tomorrow.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Sten Freak posted:

I wonder what I fried on my Legacy, purchased used with mismatched front and rears. It started making a whirring sound from the front at slow speeds, increasing in frequency as speed increases (not loud as my mechanic couldn't hear it). New tires tomorrow.

This sounds similar to what happened to my transfer case. My mechanic threw it on the lift and drove it to diagnose it.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
[quote="Aflicted" post=""425636"] Does the Saabaru use the same parts as an 05 WRX suspension and motor wise? I've looked around between some Saab and Subaru boards and there doesn't seem to be a lot on them. I don't know the 2.0l motors and their potential at all really so it is a learning experience for me
[/quote]

I'm also interested in how interchangeable these vehicles are.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Should I replace my centre diff? What are the symptoms of it being ruined? Im assuming it will be full of liquid but is there anyway to open it up and have a look?

E also what tires should I get? We don't have snowy winters in Australia, just hot and less hot. Anything I should avoid?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 13, 2014

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TWSS posted:

My Son tells me that they get them in from time to time at the dealer and they treat them as the same car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Should I replace my centre diff? What are the symptoms of it being ruined? Im assuming it will be full of liquid but is there anyway to open it up and have a look?

E also what tires should I get? We don't have snowy winters in Australia, just hot and less hot. Anything I should avoid?

If your center-diff is dead you will notice a very obvious thunking/knocking (if it is really bad it will also shake the hell out of the car) during tight corners or reversing. As far as I know Subaru (and salvage yards that pull the part for you) will not sell the VC as an individual part and will only sell whole transmissions, but it can be replaced individually. It cannot be serviced, it is either working or hosed.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Oh no :( it does like to shake in reverse unless I ride the clutch and when in first and second it can shudder a bit when I take my foot off the accelerator, not stalling shudder but it's there, lasts only a second. I don't hear any knocking though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh no :( it does like to shake in reverse unless I ride the clutch and when in first and second it can shudder a bit when I take my foot off the accelerator, not stalling shudder but it's there, lasts only a second. I don't hear any knocking though.

Find a parking lot and do a slow circle with the wheel all the way to one side and listen/feel for binding.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I did the center diff swap to alleviate clunking in reverse and during parking lot turns and detailed it in my thread only like 2 weeks ago:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451672&pagenumber=24#post425194805

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What do you mean binding?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The car will feel sluggish and resistant to driving on full lock.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

It will feel like when you're driving a 4x4 truck in 4wd mode on dry pavement and you try to make a tight circle.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Will do when the new tires are on

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Need new pads & rotors for an 05 wrx. Is subarugenuineparts.com still a good place to buy parts?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you want OEM, but there's not a really good reason to do that for brakes. Centric rotors, stoptech pads.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Any benefit to the more expensive centric rotors? I'm not doing any track days, just daily driving and I need the ability to stop well when cold.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The benefit is that they're a lot cheaper.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

The benefit is that they're a lot cheaper.

Thats a pretty good benefit.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Subaru must use extra long life bulbs or something, I just had a headlight go out and the bulb had a date code of March 1998 on it. They were the original bulbs. Sylvania HB5/9007 standard it looks like.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 13, 2014

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My right foggy on my 03 impreza is dead so they don't any more.

I had to rush off to work but I just did the carpark test, both ways and I didn't notice anything being odd. Hopefully there's only minimal cannibalism in my center diff :) the new tires are yokohoma a drives, I had 2 on there before with 2 pirellis.

E also I wasn't sure how slow was slow, so I was on the verge of stalling the entire time, the carpark was on a slight hill and the car was doing stall shudders going up, so hopefully it was what you guys meant.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 13, 2014

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

TWSS posted:

While everything is interchangeable, there are quite a few things that are slightly different. Mainly, the 9-2x got a bunch of features that didn't show up until the later WRXes. Aluminum control arms, STI steering rack, different spring and damper rates, stuff like that. The best list I found when I owned mine was here:
http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=406

Man I miss my 9-2x, what a great looking car.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My right foggy on my 03 impreza is dead so they don't any more.

I had to rush off to work but I just did the carpark test, both ways and I didn't notice anything being odd. Hopefully there's only minimal cannibalism in my center diff :) the new tires are yokohoma a drives, I had 2 on there before with 2 pirellis.

E also I wasn't sure how slow was slow, so I was on the verge of stalling the entire time, the carpark was on a slight hill and the car was doing stall shudders going up, so hopefully it was what you guys meant.

Take it on the highway for a bit and try again. It's probably fine, but mine only acted up when it was warmed up.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is it normal to smell burning clutch when you're slowly moving in reverse?

I parked my wife and I's cars in tandem of one another, mine ('13 WRX) in front. I backed into the spot, but was trying to be careful not to hit my wife's car behind me. Unfortunately, I had to slip the clutch a bit as I couldn't release it due to the low speed movement/lack of RPMs, and I was hit with a terrible clutch burning smell.

Is everything OK? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You'll be fine, if you smell it on a regular basis then you;ll have problems. Organic full face clutches can be burned quite a bit before they're really affected, at worst you maybe took off a few months of clutch life, you won't notice it as they should last for many years.