Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that I like about Drabble is that the kids tricked the dad into letting them have a pet duck by telling him it's a rare parrot from the amazon that looks like a duck to fool predators. So the duck learned how to perch on stuff so he can stay in the house. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

LvK posted:

Let things go.

Also, wait, I think this time it was Grandpa who got foxed, technically.

I dunno. I'd be a little creeped out if my grandpa was that good/quick at murdering what he thought was a hobo merely standing outside his property.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Yep, I'm convinced that Skye is being the dick here. She barely knows Jane, and vice versa (after only one date), and she's already aggressively pushing to insert herself into Jane's life. Forcing the "out of the closet" issue, especially with a close family member, is an utterly rear end in a top hat move.

Yep. For all Skye knows she could be putting Jane's life in danger by outing her.

Even if they were in a hardcore LTR and not having just had their first date, it's way way way out of line.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Darthemed posted:

If you think you know bland comics, Drabble will set new standards.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tobaccrow posted:

I dunno. I'd be a little creeped out if my grandpa was that good/quick at murdering what he thought was a hobo merely standing outside his property.

Wait... That wasn't just, like, a basic life skill back then?

... Hhhhuh. I never knew that one was particularly in reference to something. I mean, it makes sense in the context of Ray's other calls, but somehow the magically boring Drabbleforce kept me from caring enough to look it up.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

You stupid worthless goddamn piece of poo poo, you order a tall in the next size up. It gives you room for cream and is the same price. I hope you die in a fire you miserable goddamn gently caress. You're the type of person that makes baristas hate their job. Next thing you'll be ordering a loving iced mocha with 10 pumps of mocha, 5 of hazelnut and EXACTLY 10 GODDAMN ICE CUBES. AND YOU'LL RETURN IT IF THERE IS ANY loving MORE OR LESS.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 12, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gotta love R Ubbish.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

So is Opus still staying at the Bloom hostel, or what?

I had forgotten to do a historical note a few days ago, so: This is the point in history where Liberace died, AZT was approved, and ACT UP was born. Oh, and Reagan finally got around to mentioning AIDS in a public speech. Lotta media folks weren't sure how to talk about the disease, especially since it was still so stigmatized as one of gays (and the occasional stray kid who got a bad transfusion) that Congress made it illegal to use federal funds for AIDS prevention that at all discussed homosexuality as an acceptable thing.

(is a pretty useful overview)

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

Mr. Binkley might just be the most stoic character in the strip.

In case you've ever wondered about Binkley's skull's shape, here's the answer.

20 years into the future in this strip's time is seven years ago right now.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

Mister Beeg, is there any story behind how Kevin Fagan has kept Drabble going since 1979?
I think Fagan just lucked out. It got picked up by enough newspapers to keep it profitable.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

DoubleDonut posted:

What the hell is with all of Greg Evans' villains being more sympathetic than the protagonists?

It's come up before, but basically the really villainous stuff they did is already in the past. You're supposed to be aware of them as villains already, so the strip doesn't feel like it needs to keep demonstrating their villainy. It just makes a vague gesture in the direction of them potentially doing something bad, maybe, and you're supposed to make the rest of the connections yourself.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Wait, is this whole thing some kind of sneaky halfassed history lesson? That's what this is, isn't it?

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

drat it, this one finally got me. Saving it for later.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

How did that frog thing wrap up?

TOO SALTY

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

The Sphinxster posted:

How did that frog thing wrap up?

TOO SALTY

For those who came in late...

The peace-loving frogs were about to kidnap them as specimens when Lothar fired a gun in the air. Not wanting to bother with such noisy and violent people as earthlings, they just up and left.

The silly stuff about the glasses was exaggerated.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's come up before, but basically the really villainous stuff they did is already in the past. You're supposed to be aware of them as villains already, so the strip doesn't feel like it needs to keep demonstrating their villainy. It just makes a vague gesture in the direction of them potentially doing something bad, maybe, and you're supposed to make the rest of the connections yourself.
As far as I know Leslie is a relatively new character and the worst he's ever done is hit on Rosa and tell people to get out of his way.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

:gonk:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ham Shears

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Funnies ("A Mad Look at Farm Life," Mad #308, January 1992)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #191, June 1977)

Thorn (March 7, 1984)

Yep, still going.

Lucky Cow (May 10-12, 2004)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

He's reciting the card.

Those fuckers seriously do this though. A couple months back I heard the mail slot clang, went to the door, saw the notice and opened the door. Nobody in the hallway. Took about 15 seconds altogether. Went for my shoes, looked around in the building and outside, nothing. I think they just loving ran away.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tiistai posted:

Those fuckers seriously do this though. A couple months back I heard the mail slot clang, went to the door, saw the notice and opened the door. Nobody in the hallway. Took about 15 seconds altogether. Went for my shoes, looked around in the building and outside, nothing. I think they just loving ran away.

I work evenings, so I'm often home during the day. I can't count the number of times I've checked my mailbox on my way to work and found a card telling me I need to collect a package from the post office because I wasn't home to receive it. The only up-side is that at least it's better than what happens when the package is just slightly larger than my mailbox, because at least if they leave it at the post office it doesn't get crushed and mangled.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

sears.jpg

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Alright, story arc over. If anyone's been putting off reading this comic because it's too confusing, now's the time to start.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail

Quincy

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Alright, story arc over. If anyone's been putting off reading this comic because it's too confusing, now's the time to start.

And if you wanted to go back and read the arc that just finished from the beginning, it started here.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Oh god help us it's on a cassette player too. Although really I expected him to be a vinyl purist.

Retail

Man, gently caress Stuart for helping Marla find qualified replacements. "Do you know how much I hate you, Stuart?"

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

"I hit a paywall somewhere after the fifth article. Now I have to clear cookies and try again."

Dustin

Steve Kelley voices his dissatisfaction with the Olympics through every character in the strip.

On the Fastrack

Nice, but not quite as good as this goon-made blingee gif.

Safe Havens

Oh well I guess we don't have to worry about that outswimming a great white shark thing after all! Maybe your great-grandson will if he's still interested.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Did Bert really wait for Jerky McHeadwound to wander back into the house, rummage through the closets, find the suit and change into it before he answered the question?

Pibgorn

If the sped part is true, this would be one of the rare times that anything has happened quickly in this comic.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
How dumb do you have to be to try to forge an episode of an old TV show to sell to the guy who was in it? There's no way you can line up everything with his memory, even without making a boneheaded mistake like miscasting him.

And don't most people learn about The Entertainer from watching The Sting? Everyone here has seen The Sting, right?

Lio is still getting assed by his cat. Saturday should end with his neutering.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

don Jaime posted:

How dumb do you have to be to try to forge an episode of an old TV show to sell to the guy who was in it? There's no way you can line up everything with his memory, even without making a boneheaded mistake like miscasting him.

They just faked half a minute of footage, not a whole episode. It isn't a terrible idea for a scheme.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It is when you have to deliver the product or ditch the victim, and hope in either case that he can't find you in the movie theater you live in.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trails

Quincy

Office Hours

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

I don't know who these people are, but Mary is SHOCKED!

Rex Morgan, MD

I really hate this storyline.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LvK posted:

Wait... That wasn't just, like, a basic life skill back then?

What do you mean, back then? :raise:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I'm back from Brazil!
:effort:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

7thBatallion posted:

You stupid worthless goddamn piece of poo poo, you order a tall in the next size up. It gives you room for cream and is the same price. I hope you die in a fire you miserable goddamn gently caress. You're the type of person that makes baristas hate their job. Next thing you'll be ordering a loving iced mocha with 10 pumps of mocha, 5 of hazelnut and EXACTLY 10 GODDAMN ICE CUBES. AND YOU'LL RETURN IT IF THERE IS ANY loving MORE OR LESS.

I was just thinking, is it a bad deal to pay the same for less coffee if cream is added? I just got this hunch that cream might be more expensive per volume than coffee. So he's not actually being stiffed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

He's reciting the card.

The solution here is to go on a murderous rampa- wait I mean keep the radio on loudly so they here that someone is home as they walk up to the door.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

I only ever barely understand what's happening in this comic. The artist's decision to make his characters 90% chin with their mouths even with their eyes is like looking into a font of madness.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

don Jaime posted:

Lio is still getting assed by his cat. Saturday should end with his neutering.

Later in the day the cat died from an illness that the vet could have cured.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

The solution here is to go on a murderous rampa- wait I mean keep the radio on loudly so they here that someone is home as they walk up to the door.
"Oh great, they won't hear the mail slot. Deliveryman awaaay!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

He's reciting the card.

I loving hate this so much. I'm mostly working from these days and I've lost count of the times that happens to me. Nobody knocks, nobody rings the doorbell, just a "sorry you weren't home" note dropped through the mail slot. I've complained at my local post office numerous times and apparently the issue is that the postmen don't bother taking these packages with them most of the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It didn't happen to me that often and I used to live on the 4th floor in a building without an elevator. Now that I am becoming a home owner I am looking into getting a bigass mailbox that can take giant packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

Oh god help us it's on a cassette player too. Although really I expected him to be a vinyl purist.

There actually are cassette purists- just look at the Mountain Goats.

• Locked thread