Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The Suns Death Star :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gough Suppressant posted:

Lol, our forward line on Friday doesnt have Clark, Hogan or Dawes in it :laffo:

TG-Chrono posted:

:toxx:TOXXES, BETS AND OTHER DUMB GOONERY FOR 2014:toxx:
xcore - If Chris Dawes, Jesse Hogan and Mitch Clark line up together in 6 or more games this season I will get a Jack Watts comedy avatar for the 2015 season.

Not that the preseason counts, but this is looking good so far.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

The Deadly Hume posted:

The Suns Death Star :stare:

Essendon X-Wings and Gold Coast Death Stars are actually awesome.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

TG-Chrono posted:

Essendon X-Wings and Gold Coast Death Stars are actually awesome.

X-Wings are fighters, Y-Wings are bombers
:goonsay:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
the melbourne gungans

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

More like the Melbourne Old B.O.B.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
This is some high level meta trolling...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj_VdHYFKxA

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:
Who's first?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Footy is back. :toot:

I hope to find a stream for Geelong/Collingwood. Not sure many pubs will be airing it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

As an appetiser, you can watch the Giants intraclub here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWoNPD0AFQ

Wait... Taken down?

Well that died in the arse, here's a video of Collingwood supporters instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
That Geelong players jaw...:stonk:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
dem pussycats :smug:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The first preseason game was actually... entertaining? :wtc:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geelong comes back from a fourth quarter fade out. Sad to see we haven't learnt anything during the offseason.

Oh Jesus just saw the video of Burbury's jaw. Poor bugger :(

You Am I fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 12, 2014

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I didn't get to see the match, how did Josh Caddy do?

Ghost of LSV
Jul 3, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

I didn't get to see the match, how did Josh Caddy do?

Strong contribution, has a bullocking style that will only improve as he gets stronger in the next few years.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

You Am I posted:

Geelong comes back from a fourth quarter fade out. Sad to see we haven't learnt anything during the offseason.

Oh Jesus just saw the video of Burbury's jaw. Poor bugger :(

Looks like a proper snap as well. Poor bastard. :(

Fortunately they do heal really well. Unfortunately it involves eating through a straw for a month. :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nutsngum posted:

Looks like a proper snap as well. Poor bastard. :(

Fortunately they do heal really well. Unfortunately it involves eating through a straw for a month. :(

From the video it looks like he has a few missing teeth. Don't the players wear mouth guards anymore?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

You Am I posted:

From the video it looks like he has a few missing teeth. Don't the players wear mouth guards anymore?

They confirmed that he didn't lose any. Getting hit in the side of the bottom part of the jaw could render a mouth guard pointless.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
anyone looked into afl streaming?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

davmo1 posted:

anyone looked into afl streaming?

I've tried the usual places I hit for rugby/cricket/snooker/etc, but AFL seems to be so confined to Aus that none of them carry matches. I've resigned myself to just reading updates and catching highlights where I can.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

does anyone in this thread play footy? i played my first match of afl 9s last night and im still ambivalent about whether to go into club footy this year or not as ill be doing a fair bit of travelling this year, but previously playing 9's (and soccer) has usually kept giving me groin problems and wondering if any of you dudes have found the same and tips to avoid it?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TG-Chrono posted:

They confirmed that he didn't lose any. Getting hit in the side of the bottom part of the jaw could render a mouth guard pointless.

Ok, that's good to see. In the video it looked like he lost some front teeth, but it might have been due to the lovely resolution of the video.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

does anyone in this thread play footy? i played my first match of afl 9s last night and im still ambivalent about whether to go into club footy this year or not as ill be doing a fair bit of travelling this year, but previously playing 9's (and soccer) has usually kept giving me groin problems and wondering if any of you dudes have found the same and tips to avoid it?

I play Footy and I actually played a game of mixed Afl 9's last week too, it was...interesting? Can't really comment on groin problems but last season I found my kicking leg hamstring was sore basically all season even with extensive stretching and rubs, which is annoying.

But you should play normal footy! It's the most fun I've had playing a sport ever, it was my first season last year and I'm 26 haha.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

snaeksikn posted:

Go see a physio. I had awful calf problems when I was playing footy, which the physio identified as being due to having collapsed arches. Some massage and a pair of orthotics improved it heaps.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

So looking to take something from last night (lol) the Pies lined up and played in a fairly rote manner. Geelong had a couple of interesting changes.

Bartel spent most of his time in the forward line.

Enright played on the wing.

Varcoe played in the centre and had most clearances.

Smedts and Hunt played down back.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Cloud the Cat posted:

I play Footy and I actually played a game of mixed Afl 9's last week too, it was...interesting? Can't really comment on groin problems but last season I found my kicking leg hamstring was sore basically all season even with extensive stretching and rubs, which is annoying.

But you should play normal footy! It's the most fun I've had playing a sport ever, it was my first season last year and I'm 26 haha.

i have been wanting to play club footy for loving ages but kept letting circumstances get in the way (working as a contractor in a physical job, then most recently working away), and now im in a position to be able to play it just fine except im gonna be in the US for 6 weeks mid-year with probably another holiday or so in there too so dont really wanna spend however many hundred signing up to a club i'll only play half the season for (if im lucky).

that said i still really wanna play club footy. we'll see how 9's goes for the next 9 weeks or so. i actually really like 9's. its pretty counter-intuitive to normal footy (especially when playing in defence) but i like to think of it as a high intensity skills training session rather than a footy game. our first game turned out alright though, we were beaten easily in the first half but held the other team scoreless in the second to win by 11

The Job Creators posted:

Go see a physio. I had awful calf problems when I was playing footy, which the physio identified as being due to having collapsed arches. Some massage and a pair of orthotics improved it heaps.

yeah i used to get shin splints really bad until i talked to a few runners and they told me about stretching out your calves before and after every run, never had them since in 5+ years

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 13, 2014

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Varcoe played in the centre and had most clearances.

varcoe is a good player but isnt a natural forward and never has been. it would be good for the cats to give him some proper time in another position this year

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Taylor Hunt played down back? Not sure what that's about, he's a ready made tagger in my book. Billie Smedts will likely be a rebounding backman in my opinion though, they probably rotated Enright to the wing to allow Smedts practice time while still giving ol' Corey a run.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Based on most of the club footy players I've spoken to at work it seems like a great way to get punched in the head.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

varcoe is a good player but isnt a natural forward and never has been. it would be good for the cats to give him some proper time in another position this year
I think Varcoe's best used as a half back flanker personally

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Shmoses posted:

I think Varcoe's best used as a half back flanker personally

I agree, Varcoe is best used in the role that everyone wants Chris Yarran to play except Varcoe won't shirk the hard ball and he's actually accountable

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Based on most of the club footy players I've spoken to at work it seems like a great way to get punched in the head.

Yeah not gonna lie, there are some dickheads out there. Normally though 95% of the guys are out there for a good game of footy, just that there is always a few idiots who just want to act tough. But in our league at least they tend to get suspended pretty quickly.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'd love to play footy again but even if not for the idiots in amateur leagues my knees are utterly hosed from hockey and my back is hosed from years of lifting in a bad work environment so it's swimming, weights and yelling incoherently from the members stand for me :smith:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i got some fond memories of junior footy though.

there was always that fat kid who used to scream abuse at the umpire all game despite being really shithouse himself.

there was always the kid who hit puberty early and was a foot taller and 10kg heavier than everyone else on the field and would play in ruck then just come coasting through clearances to kick 50m goals at ball ups with 4 kids hanging off him.

there was always the one good kick in the team who would always end up at full back just cos he could hit targets from kickouts regardless of how good a defender he actually was.

there was always the spuds who were stuck in back pocket or forward pocket because the coaches didnt really give a poo poo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also the afl 9's team last night had a dude who was legit in his 50's and not even 60kg turn up to play so: suck it up, get into it, no worse than going to kings cross/northbridge every week as far as risk goes

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah some fond footy playing memories from years back. Even as far back as primary school, I remember they banned Steven Salopek from playing in the "lightning premiership" after 1 match because he just single handily dominated absolutely everyone to the point that it was ridiculous. I think we were 11?

To add to the above, there was always that kid who had absolutely no interest in footy at all, so he'd sit in the goal square drawing things in the dirt while the ball sailed over his head for a goal.

I love watching the Auskick matches at half time, some of the funniest stuff goes on there, like 6 on 1 match ups in the midfield while one team stacks the backline yet the ball never goes down there. Have noticed that the girls at that age seem to kick a lot more rear end than the majority of the boys. Can only hope some of them go on and continue with their footy.

I couldn't play beyond 22 though as my knees just became too hosed, played a little for Hampton Park Redbacks and Narre for a year. Although as is mentioned above you are going to get dickheads out there just to hurt people, I do miss the physicality of it, the feeling of you've been through a war with your mates and come out the other side. I doubt 9's will offer that :p

But I have been curious about giving 9's a shot. I've been horribly out of shape the past 18months and trying to get myself back to as good as I can be, gym, eating right etc...I'm aiming at doing Tough Mudder in September and told myself if I can do that then I'll look into giving footy another shot afterwards, would like it to be club but realistically probably 9's.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The best bit of junior footy was when it had been raining all week so the field became a mudpit and by the end of the first quarter noone could tell who the gently caress anyone else was by anything other than height.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

there was always the spuds who were stuck in back pocket or forward pocket because the coaches didnt really give a poo poo.

That was me in junior footy. I knew it'd be one or the other so I always lobbied to be forward as kicking goals was the most important thing to do when I was 10-11.

Lions are going to get annihilated tonight but it should be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
Any predictions on final score?

• Locked thread