Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

suicidesteve posted:

I finally did it! I got kicked out of Commander. I went to casual Magic today determined to get people to stop bugging me to play Commander when I don't want to. I was definitely successful.

So for those of you who get stuck playing when you don't want to (I know there's a few of you,) here's how you get out of it:

Unless you follow that sentence with "You politely tell the people that you don't want to play Commander right now.", then you're an rear end in a top hat and should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh hey, look at that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Gotta love pubbie tears.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Be honest with yourself, think about it, and don't post your answer here, but did you ever just tell someone -- anyone -- that you don't like Commander or you would prefer to play other formats? Did you ever say those words in that order?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jenx posted:

Unless you follow that sentence with "You politely tell the people that you don't want to play Commander right now.", then you're an rear end in a top hat and should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh hey, look at that!

I have to constantly play commander with the most insufferable people. Store policy is that TO's, Judges, and Employees need to be friendly and inclusive and can't turn down games just because they don't like the players/game involved. I care a lot about helping my community and I don't want to give up the ability to organize IQ's GPTs and TCG Player events.

That means that sometimes I end up spending 20 minutes before a GPT playing Kaijudo with an 11 year old, which I honestly don't mind. It also means that I have to play Commander with a really obnoxious group of players who exclusively play Commander, want to bicker, argue endlessly about "The Right Way to Play" have massive temper tantrums when someone wins "Wrong" and honestly probably play Magic because its the only way to trick a human being into having a conversation with them. I only have 1 Deck, Memnarch, its obscenely powered and they hate it.

I'm always polite when we play, if they ask if I want to play I say "sure" in a friendly way, and I always politely decline saying I'm not comfortable borrowing a deck. I don't have to play Commander very often, I'm happy, they are happy, it works out.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Let's get something straight - you have to play Commander. As in, it's part of your job to do so. From what I see from suicidesteve's post, this doesn't seem to be the case with him.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My point was that you can be perfectly friendly and polite when playing the game with the goal of not being invited back. You've got zero clue if steve was rude, or friendly, an rear end in a top hat, or polite. Just because his goal is to get people to stop nagging him to play a miserable format doesn't immediately mean he behaved like a 1980's movie bully.

If you read my situation and thought "well I mean, he's not rude or anything so no harm done" then you've got zero grounds to judge steve considering the information he gave us.

Quinton posted:

(doh, completely failed to notice this was posted just a bit back...)

Announcing GVYJTHQXGR:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1429

And somebody on reddit sorted it out in ~30 minutes:
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xs0f1/announcing_gvyjthqxgr/cfe49oq

A set that messes with draft mechanics would have been incredible. Its such a shame they married it to a multi-player product. Magic is a such a great game but the games mechanics are so loving bad in multi-player. I'll probably just buy the singles that are fun in cube.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 13, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are we dismissing the possibility of Modern or Legacy playable reprints in Conspiracy? Sounds great anyway, I bet a few more cards will make it to my commander deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm only ever going to play conspiracy as a sealed format :smugwizard:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are we dismissing the possibility of Modern or Legacy playable reprints in Conspiracy? Sounds great anyway, I bet a few more cards will make it to my commander deck.

I'm sure that there are going to be some reprints in the set, hopefully they won't jack up the price.

My main questions:

1. Will I put Cogwork Librarian in my Pauper Cube?
2. How many boxes will I want to store away for future drafts?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sade posted:

Be honest with yourself, think about it, and don't post your answer here, but did you ever just tell someone -- anyone -- that you don't like Commander or you would prefer to play other formats? Did you ever say those words in that order?

I'm going to post my answer here anyway.

Yes. Literally every time they ask me to play I say I'd rather not in varying levels of politeness. Everyone in the store knows my feelings on commander. I've progressed over the months from saying I'd prefer modern or standard but I guess I'll play one game to saying I don't particularly like commander and would rather play real Magic to an angry, resigned sigh because I know they're going to whine until I play. Unless I actually want to play, obviously.

Every time the regulars need another person to play, I get guilt tripped into playing and I have a miserable time because everyone takes it so seriously and nobody ever seems to have fun except me and the Dakkon guy, who cares even less than I do. I keep saying the regulars, but it's mainly the one guy; the Nekusar guy from above. The kind of guy who will Krosan Grip your Caged Sun you spent 8 turns saving up on a storage land for because you haven't found a third land all game. So no, I really don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for "ruining" one game if it finally got my point across that no, I don't want to play commander, and if I do, I'll say so. Especially when nobody was doing anything except slowly dying to Mogis and Nekusar damage anyway. There was a Steel Overseer army of probably 40 damage just sitting there because ??? for half the game.

And to be clear, these were all regulars who know exactly how I feel about commander and bug me until I play anyway. It wasn't some random kids with their Trostani and Lazav decks whose day I just decided to ruin. Aside from occasionally complaining about ridiculously long turns, like 5 minutes when he had 4 lands long, I was pretty much my usual self.

Edit: Unless some more people really need to tell me how terrible I am for not liking an unfun format of Magic or for getting guilt tripped into playing it, let's just agree that I accomplished my goal of not being bugged to play commander anymore, finally, and drop it.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 13, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I get guilt tripped into playing and I have a miserable time

quote:

Yes, I realize this is incredibly childish.

Learn how to say "Thanks, but no thanks" dude. Its really easy. And find people who play the format you like instead of making GBS threads on something other people like. I'm glad you recognize that you're being really childish though!

E; And if they keep asking? Keep saying thanks but no thanks! Theres no reason to feel guilty about not liking something!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm going to post my answer here anyway.

Yes. Literally every time they ask me to play I say I'd rather not in varying levels of politeness. Everyone in the store knows my feelings on commander. I've progressed over the months from saying I'd prefer modern or standard but I guess I'll play one game to saying I don't particularly like commander and would rather play real Magic to an angry, resigned sigh because I know they're going to whine until I play. Unless I actually want to play, obviously.

Every time the regulars need another person to play, I get guilt tripped into playing and I have a miserable time because everyone takes it so seriously and nobody ever seems to have fun except me and the Dakkon guy, who cares even less than I do. I keep saying the regulars, but it's mainly the one guy; the Nekusar guy from above. The kind of guy who will Krosan Grip your Caged Sun you spent 8 turns saving up on a storage land for because you haven't found a third land all game. So no, I really don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for "ruining" one game if it finally got my point across that no, I don't want to play commander, and if I do, I'll say so. Especially when nobody was doing anything except slowly dying to Mogis and Nekusar damage anyway. There was a Steel Overseer army of probably 40 damage just sitting there because ??? for half the game.

And to be clear, these were all regulars who know exactly how I feel about commander and bug me until I play anyway. It wasn't some random kids with their Trostani and Lazav decks whose day I just decided to ruin. Aside from occasionally complaining about ridiculously long turns, like 5 minutes when he had 4 lands long, I was pretty much my usual self.

Edit: Unless some more people really need to tell me how terrible I am for not liking an unfun format of Magic or for getting guilt tripped into playing it, let's just agree that I accomplished my goal of not being bugged to play commander anymore, finally, and drop it.

They aren't playing Nekusar right...I average 15-20 damage to everyone on the table on turn 4-5 and then about the same on turn 6-7...

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Hmmmm, an rear end in a top hat-ish response to assholes rarely leads to anything good, either for you or anyone else. Either just keep refusing, or find a group that have at least some basic understanding of social interactions, and know that if someone says they don't feel like doing something, you shouldn't force them to.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Learn how to say "Thanks, but no thanks" dude. Its really easy. And find people who play the format you like instead of making GBS threads on something other people like. I'm glad you recognize that you're being really childish though!

E; And if they keep asking? Keep saying thanks but no thanks! Theres no reason to feel guilty about not liking something!

I didn't invent odd numbers. I just get stuck being the one guy who doesn't have anyone to play with sometimes. I've been playing a modern game for 15 minutes against someone new and hearing constantly how I should be playing with them instead because they only have 3 people. I'm well aware how bad that makes everyone involved look to the new guy(s), and it's part of what I'm trying to avoid by making myself unwelcome in commander-land. Who's going to want to come back when they're playing a tense game which keeps getting broken up by people annoying your opponent, you know?

I look at it this way: I pretty much have to go to that store if I want to play any sort of non-competitive Magic. Since I'd rather not put up with 10 minutes of harassment every time I don't want to play what they want, I'll just play in a way that they don't want to play with me. Lately I've gone from "STEVE PLAY WITH US NOW!" to "STEVE WE NEED ANOTHER PERSON PLAY WITH US NOW!" but I'd rather be at "Hey, do you want to play? No? Ok then." I've been doing the scorched earth thing with Tajic for months, but I usually just blow it all up and kill them. This time it worked out that I couldn't actually kill them, so I did everything I could to give the game to my best friend who built a deck out of random cards he had within arm's reach, which annoyed the guy who hates losing, who's also the guy who bugs me to play/has a hissy fit if I don't. So everyone wins! And really, it's not like I ruined the game too much for anyone else. Everyone came back from Obliterate pretty well except for me, and 3 of them were close enough to death that the 2nd and 3rd board wipes really didn't matter except that they didn't get the chance to take one of us out with them.

I will admit that the Maralen thing is pretty lame, but 3 of us knew what I was doing and wanted to see how much Nekusar guy would cry about it (so much.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope Conspiracy is a stealth Modern Masters 2 with a bunch of useful reprints in it.

I wonder if it will still follow the 1-3-10 rarity distribution though. Probably.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I only hope for that if they actually print it and sell it for MSRP. Otherwise, Ill take some cool draft mechanics and such on their own thanks!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Entropic posted:

I hope Conspiracy is a stealth Modern Masters 2 with a bunch of useful reprints in it.

I wonder if it will still follow the 1-3-10 rarity distribution though. Probably.

Wasteland, force of will, fetches

All at uncommon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

Wasteland, force of will, fetches

All at uncommon.

I would buy a box immediately.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

I would buy a box immediately.

A box? lol, I'd wipe everyone out I could.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

A box? lol, I'd wipe everyone out I could.

I mean I actually have to watch my spending due to bills n junk and I'd figure the average on those would be about like 300 so.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I actually have to watch my spending due to bills n junk and I'd figure the average on those would be about like 300 so.

Ah, heh. I have a place I can pre-order that sells under msrp for everything no matter what, a tiny mom 'n pop sports card shop that stocks magic. Its magical, I got Modern Masters for $120. If only I had been smart enough to order more than one. If this set has anything decent I'm going to order as many as he'll let me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

toadee posted:

I only hope for that if they actually print it and sell it for MSRP. Otherwise, Ill take some cool draft mechanics and such on their own thanks!

They haven't said anything about it being a 'limited print run' or anything like they did with Modern Masters, so it's looking like this is hopefully something they actually want players to get their hands on.

I'm glad I have an LGS that runs regular drafts now, because if this is half as fun as it looks like it could be, I will draft it every weekend for as long as they print it.

I still look forward to seeing idiots buy boxes to open by themselves For Value.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Korak posted:

It's just my philosophy of what WotC should be doing with every set is pushing Standard/Modern, and this set doesn't look like it will be allowed in any other format?

Plenty of people play Magic who never play Standard or Modern, so this is hella dumb. It's not replacing a regular expansion set, it's the summer multiplayer supplement.

Stinky Pit posted:

My point was that you can be perfectly friendly and polite when playing the game with the goal of not being invited back. You've got zero clue if steve was rude, or friendly, an rear end in a top hat, or polite. Just because his goal is to get people to stop nagging him to play a miserable format doesn't immediately mean he behaved like a 1980's movie bully.

Deliberately setting out to make other people miserable makes you a colossal chode.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The idea behind Clockwork Librarian is absolute insanity, and I hope they make more cards that interact with the actual process of draft. Drafting that card to exchange it for an extra spicy pack of cards later in the draft is just so cool.

Not sure how thats going to work on MODO though!

Literally The Worst posted:

Deliberately setting out to make other people miserable makes you a colossal chode.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The idea behind Clockwork Librarian is absolute insanity, and I hope they make more cards that interact with the actual process of draft. Drafting that card to exchange it for an extra spicy pack of cards later in the draft is just so cool.

You might just use it's effect like you would in a game, except in a draft, it'll announce someone has open and taken Clockwork Librarian.

And then put it in the pack and you take two cards.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

The point that they're both making in the first place is that, having expressed that they don't want to play commander, this is exactly what the other party is doing to them in the first place :shrug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death Bot posted:

The point that they're both making in the first place is that, having expressed that they don't want to play commander, this is exactly what the other party is doing to them in the first place :shrug:

No, that's not it. They're not being invited to play Commander out of spite. The adult thing to do is to keep saying no politely, not be a giant baby and go FINE I'LL PLAY YOUR GAME and then ruin it so that nobody enjoys anything just so you can go SEE I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY JERKS.

I can't believe someone just called "being invited to play a game" the same thing as "deliberately ruining someone's game".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly if you want to play Commander as little as possible without depriving your friends another body to hit just play Niv Mizzet, you'll be out in 3 turns, guaranteed.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

It might not! Notice that Vintage Masters comes out about a week and a half online after Conspiracy is released in paper.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Conspiracy sounds like a great set to include true name nemesis if you missed out on the commander rush. I wouldn't mind seeing FOW or wasteland at uncommon (just like their original printing) either. Both of those would fit a multiplayer product. I think show and tell fits too. I can't think of any modern staples that fit aside from karn, Lilliana OTV and mind censor.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

But heres the thing...If you use your Librarian you have to put him BACK in the pack, so the guy next to you can then take it and use it AGAIN. Imagine, since it is common, seeing 2-3 of these in a pod...it would cause so much confusion. Not to mention I can see people screwing up the card counts...because rear end holes exist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

Conspiracy sounds like a great set to include true name nemesis if you missed out on the commander rush. I wouldn't mind seeing FOW or wasteland at uncommon (just like their original printing) either.

You're literally insane if you think this is going to happen.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Lurchington posted:

as it was people were complaining that it was too hard: https://twitter.com/FoundOmega/status/433834492013588480

This guy is the biggest loving dork on twitter. He's that angry guy at your lgs whos never felt the warm touch of a woman.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

But heres the thing...If you use your Librarian you have to put him BACK in the pack, so the guy next to you can then take it and use it AGAIN. Imagine, since it is common, seeing 2-3 of these in a pod...it would cause so much confusion. Not to mention I can see people screwing up the card counts...because rear end holes exist.

Its really not as confusing as you make it sound. You'll always be drafting the same number of cards, and you'll have to put back a vanilla 3/3 for 4 back into the pile.

Putting back a vanilla 3/3 for 4 is hardly a downside when you get maybe a bomb uncommon and an important missing piece like removal from your deck. We've all had those packs that make you feel "uggghhh i want everything in this pack!"

I think my playgroup, and most playgroups for that matter can handle Clockwork Librarian.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Its really not as confusing as you make it sound. You'll always be drafting the same number of cards, and you'll have to put back a vanilla 3/3 for 4 back into the pile.

Putting back a vanilla 3/3 for 4 is hardly a downside when you get maybe a bomb uncommon and an important missing piece like removal from your deck. We've all had those packs that make you feel "uggghhh i want everything in this pack!"

I think my playgroup, and most playgroups for that matter can handle Clockwork Librarian.

On the other hand, it's possible for people to end up with multiple Clockwork Librarians, and I'm assuming if you have 2, you'll be able to draft 3 cards from a pack and put both back. I can see it leading to confusion pretty easily.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

suicidesteve posted:

don't wanna play commander

Why don't you just... not bring any commander decks with you?

Kinda hard to play then.

Or just learn how to say no, also possibly laugh at how childish they are for not understanding how 'no' works

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Something about that other image on the announcement, the 5 characters, really captured my interest, perhaps partially because it looked photorealistic for a moment to me. This being Magic, and there being 5 of them, I figure each is a different colour on the pie. Green, Red, Black, Blue, White going from the left, they even seem to be arranged in order. Maybe a cycle of legends or planeswalkers?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have to say I appreciate using the encoded set name as the passphrase for a Vignere cipher (spoilers pertaining to conspiracy announcement for any that still want to figure it out).

But yeah, on letter frequency alone you can tell it's not a standard substitution cipher.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You're literally insane if you think this is going to happen.

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

E: they reprinted scavenging ooze, a former commander only card, in a core set with accompanying DOTP promo.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

I HIGHLY doubt they will reprint TNN. It is kind of strong outside multiplayer formats (the ones it is allowed in). Reprinting it would drop the price on it, and the C13 packs though...

• Locked thread