Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Salt Fish posted:

To be fair this analogy would have us transforming into spores by building a protective layer around ourselves so that we can start up again once conditions are more favorable.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/07/25/yeast-washing-reusing-your-yeast/

Maybe biodomes and self contained breathing apparatuses will be in vogue in 2100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

The Entire Universe posted:

Heard a quote from a guy named Farley Mowat today that pretty much hits that feeling like a nailhead:

"We are behaving like yeasts in a brewer’s vat, multiplying mindlessly while greedily consuming the substance of a finite world. If we continue to imitate the yeasts, we will perish as they perish, having exhausted our resources and poisoned ourselves in the lethal brew of our own wastes."

Time to start feeding on humans.

Does anyone have a few good links to daily climate/ice data, ala http://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/amsutemps/ ? I like watching temperatures go up and down on a daily basis but the sites are either borked like the AMSU, are WUWT style denialist sites or full of horrible data entry requirements.

I just want to watch the numbers slowly creep up an easy and pretty way.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Oh, that reminds me. Just last week was the so-called king tide (also known as a perigean spring tide). A month prior to that, there was also a king tide. Basically, it's a sun and moon alignment that makes for a very high and very low tide. Some folks in California even started an organization to photograph these annual events, so that there would be documented evidence of rising sea levels.

Now, these are not rare occurrences - as mentioned, they typically happen a few times a year (and the timing somewhat depends on geographical location). They're basically the 'peak' of water levels; short of occurring with a storm, it's not that big of a deal. Hurricane Sandy was a problem in part because it occurred during a high tide - but that's not quite on the same scale as a king tide. If it had been during a king tide, it would have done more damage. Of course, that's also before you take into account rising sea levels. We know Miami is pretty hosed, and those of us who have been paying attention have known it for a long time. Very soon, it'll be an annual event to see parts of it flooded during these very high tides.

Oh, wait, that's already happening. Even short-term floods will lead to infrastructure and property damage. Forget the arguments about ice extent, hurricanes, and the like. Sea level rise is the most demonstrable, blunt object to wield in an argument (though by this point, I'm not sure anyone even bothers anymore). Other than food and water scarcity, sea level rise is probably the greatest threat facing humankind as a whole.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only parts of Florida left after 10ft of sea level rise will be the shockingly racist swampy parts in the middle, with Disney World chilling there like the obviously plastic jewel in a crown made of poo poo. Fairly sure the Panhandle would be underwater.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

Now, these are not rare occurrences - as mentioned, they typically happen a few times a year (and the timing somewhat depends on geographical location). They're basically the 'peak' of water levels; short of occurring with a storm, it's not that big of a deal. Hurricane Sandy was a problem in part because it occurred during a high tide - but that's not quite on the same scale as a king tide. If it had been during a king tide, it would have done more damage. Of course, that's also before you take into account rising sea levels. We know Miami is pretty hosed, and those of us who have been paying attention have known it for a long time. Very soon, it'll be an annual event to see parts of it flooded during these very high tides.

Wait, what? At the high end, IPCC estimates 3,6 mm/yr of sea level rise. That's about a foot of water by 2100.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Struensee posted:

Wait, what? At the high end, IPCC estimates 3,6 mm/yr of sea level rise. That's about a foot of water by 2100.
We are having around a foot of water rise every decade. Your estimate is way off. Remembered wrong here, it's over an inch/decade according to official measurements. However, there's also this:

quote:

Here, you can see the problem," Obey says, pointing to the saltwater side of the gate. "The water is only 10 inches lower on this side than on the canal. When this structure was built in 1960, it was a foot and a half. We are reaching equilibrium."
- which indicates 8 inches of sea level rise in a little over 50 years.

Here's another thing - sea level, as an altitude measurement, is the mean between high and low tides.

So, if you're an average of 6 feet above sea level (Miami), and you get 2-3 foot high tides regularly (or 5-6 foot king tides once or twice a year)...

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 6, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Evil_Greven posted:

We are having around a foot of water rise every decade. Your estimate is way off. Here's another thing - sea level, as an altitude measurement, is the mean between high and low tides.

So, if you're an average of 6 feet above sea level (Miami), and you get 2-3 foot high tides regularly (or 5-6 foot king tides once or twice a year)...

Miami: America's Venice. As a tourist you'll be able to eat all the seafood and grits you want and be driven from place to place by the redneck version of gondoliers using flat-bottomed swamp boats.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alkydere posted:

Miami: America's Venice. As a tourist you'll be able to eat all the seafood and grits you want and be driven from place to place by the redneck version of gondoliers using flat-bottomed swamp boats.

Good to know Cubans are rednecks now.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

We are having around a foot of water rise every decade. Your estimate is way off. Remembered wrong here, it's over an inch/decade according to official measurements. However, there's also this:

Here's another thing - sea level, as an altitude measurement, is the mean between high and low tides.

Can you explain the mechanics of this? Will areas of equal altitudes see different rises depending on other factors?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

bpower posted:

Can you explain the mechanics of this? Will areas of equal altitudes see different rises depending on other factors?
There are some other factors, yes. The biggest of these is changes in land elevation. For example, Alaska is rising in parts because glaciers are no longer weighing it down. This has been slowly going on since the last ice age (hence the term post-glacial rebound), and it is reflected in tidal gauges that suggest a lowering sea level in parts of Alaska. The wiki page on it has a good picture to illustrate this.

Sea levels have undergone some extremes in past history - cooling periods create more ice accumulation on land than is transferred to the oceans. Warmer periods diminish ice on land, leading to higher sea levels. During the peak of the last ice age, sea levels were 120 meters below today's sea levels. Sea levels have also been up to 20 meters higher than today's sea levels. This leads to another factor - Earth's rotation and gravitational forces can make sea levels unevenly distributed across the planet. Even time has a role here; recall how it takes hours for a tsunami to travel across the Pacific Ocean.

This is at least a factor in the short term for distribution of changes in water level. This may also be a factor in the Alaska tidal gauge case, where less glacial mass means less water runoff locally, and this in turn could suggest lower local sea levels.

So yes, two different sites can see two different sea levels.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 6, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Evil_Greven posted:

Are you really using an offhanded quote from a rolling stone article as a basis to dispute IPCC estimates?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

So you didn't bother to check the IPCC report.

IPCC summary for policy makers posted:

It is very likely that the mean rate of global averaged sea level rise was 1.7 [1.5 to 1.9] mm yr–1 between 1901 and 2010, 2.0 [1.7 to 2.3] mm yr–1 between 1971 and 2010, and 3.2 [2.8 to 3.6] mm yr–1 between 1993 and 2010.

Also, the kind of sea level rise you're talking about pretty much requires melting the ice sheet on Greenland. Time scale: 1000 years.

Struensee fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 6, 2014

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
I'm not here to debate the IPCC.

Here's a bit of math - the high end of the IPCC is 3.6mm/yr in the last few decades. Over 53 years (1960 to 2013), that's 7.5 inches. That's really not far off from 8 inches. Also, as I mentioned, sea level rise can be different at different places because of several different factors.

There's model prediction, and there's observation. One of them actually happened, if it were to be believed. One of them has yet to happen but will, if it is to be believed. Whether you believe an offhand remark from a guy intimately familiar with the infrastructure involved is up to you.

My point is that parts of Miami were flooded by a king tide less than three months ago. This will get worse, every year, until even high tide is flooding parts of Miami. By the way, windy, stormy weather can increase a normal high tide to the height of a king tide. Even worse is if a hurricane happens to come in - especially so if it happens during a high tide. That's certainly a possible scenario.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 7, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A friend linked me here:

http://www.takeourworldback.com/globalwarming.htm

This is a "paper" (random non-peer-reviewed website) that "proves" that global warming is a hoax because of Mars. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

QuarkJets posted:

A friend linked me here:

This is a "paper" (random non-peer-reviewed website) that "proves" that global warming is a hoax because of Mars. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Your dimwitted friend (and the paper's author) doesn't appear to understand that Mars is a dead planet. The composition of Mars's atmosphere isn't changing and hasn't changed in quite some time. No greenhouse gasses are being added nor removed, so the average global temperature doesn't move from where it currently is.

e: I mean seriously, this should have been blatantly obvious. Greenhouse gasses aren't some magical source of infinite heat.

e2: VVVV Oh, hah. The author's a 9/11 truther of some sort and a Holocaust denier. You should find a new friend who doesn't bring you every little piece of bullshit he finds on the internet.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 9, 2014

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

QuarkJets posted:

A friend linked me here:

Earth's greenhouse effect relies on a combination of carbon dioxide and water vapour (plus other stuff, click here for spectrum graph). Each gas exhibits gaps in its absorption spectrum; you want a combination of them in order to effectively retain heat in the atmosphere. The debunking page attempts to model each gas in isolation (almost as an elementary algebra problem - determining the forcing coefficient of each gas based on four data points: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) and then compute a sum of the individual effects, rather than considering the actual spectrum (emission bands, gaps, emissivity, overlap, polar albedo, etc). This approach is doomed to produce spurious or inaccurate conclusions. Heck - if the atmospheric composition is weird enough then you can even get an anti-greenhouse effect.

Overall - I'd guess that the page was written by someone with some analytical skill (engineer? programmer?) and access to an online physics calculator, but without actual background in atmospheric science or planetology. Or maybe he's just nuts:

"9/11 was conceived and masterminded by Jewish terrorists."

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is kinda the environmental thread for D&D so I'll post this here. Apparently (among other things) the ocean is still full of debris from the tsunami.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

I love the trend of one sentence per paragraph, that's one feature I hoped wouldn't spread from the BBC. :smith:

If its a trend, its a trend thats been around since newspaper barons in monocles. Its been taught in journalism since forever. If you look at newspaper columns, any longer paragraphs become unreadable. Arguably its one that deserves revising in the online age with wider columns, but its certainly nothing new.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Struensee posted:

Also, the kind of sea level rise you're talking about pretty much requires melting the ice sheet on Greenland. Time scale: 1000 years.

Or terrifyingly shorter than that if we manage to melt the siberian traps.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Evil_Greven posted:

I'm not here to debate the IPCC.

Here's a bit of math - the high end of the IPCC is 3.6mm/yr in the last few decades. Over 53 years (1960 to 2013), that's 7.5 inches. That's really not far off from 8 inches. Also, as I mentioned, sea level rise can be different at different places because of several different factors.

There's model prediction, and there's observation. One of them actually happened, if it were to be believed. One of them has yet to happen but will, if it is to be believed. Whether you believe an offhand remark from a guy intimately familiar with the infrastructure involved is up to you.

My point is that parts of Miami were flooded by a king tide less than three months ago. This will get worse, every year, until even high tide is flooding parts of Miami. By the way, windy, stormy weather can increase a normal high tide to the height of a king tide. Even worse is if a hurricane happens to come in - especially so if it happens during a high tide. That's certainly a possible scenario.

That's the danger with discussing the issue in terms of global average increases for water and temperature rises alike.

Things cna get hell of a lot nastier on a local and shorter time frame scale (not to be confused with "weather" but... yeah).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity, it's not actually worthwhile trying stop idling in cars or anything because tl;dr we're screwed, right?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Out of curiosity, it's not actually worthwhile trying stop idling in cars or anything because tl;dr we're screwed, right?

A lot of new cars include start/stop features that make idling redundant (over in the UK at least, can't speak for anywhere else); climate change might not motivate people, but saving on fuel certainly does.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 10, 2014

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well, what do you know? Turns out that the recent 'pause' in rising global temperatures may not have been living up to the hype! How about that?

quote:

There never was a "pause" in global warming or climate change. For practical purposes, the so-called "pause" in global warming is not even a thing.

The study in question was led by Professor Matt England at the University of New South Wales Climate Change Research Centre.

England's study found that climate models had not been geared to account for the current two decade-long period of strong trade winds in the Pacific.

England explained how the winds help the ocean to absorb heat into the thermocline – that's roughly the area between 100 metres and 300 metres deep. He says once the trade winds drop – which is likely to come within years rather than decades – then the averaged surface temperatures will rise sharply again.

During this lovely comfortable hiatus when we're told by some that global warming has stopped and so we can all stop being such worry pots, what else has been going on?

Australia has experienced its hottest year on record after the most widespread heat wave on record. The risk of bushfires is on the rise.

The UK is experiencing extreme flooding – again.

Other research has found that globally, all this extra warmth means that monthly heat records are being broken five times more often.

Even if we do want to look at globally averaged temperatures, the "hiatus" has given the world its hottest decade since records began in 1850.

We could go on and on.

Not so much a "pause" as a "fast forward"

A decade ago, the world was talking about limiting the rise in global temperatures to 2C to avoid dangerous impacts from climate change.

Now, during a time when we are supposed to have been in a "hiatus", almost nobody thinks that guardrail is achievable.

Now, the talk is of 3C or 4C or higher.
Source

About those UK floods - that's thanks to the most severe period of rainfall in almost 250 years. And high groundwater levels mean that the floods could stick around for months. As usual, the objections of climate deniers essentially boil down to "You can't go blaming this change in the climate on 'climate change'. There's just no evidence for it."

Meanwhile, California is in the midst of what could be the worst drought in 500 years:

quote:

How bad is it? According to the United States Drought Monitor, most of the state is experiencing "extreme drought," the second highest of six rankings. About 10 percent of the state is experiencing "exceptional drought," the highest possible level. As of this week, 17 communities are in danger of running out of water, forcing some to buy it or run pipes from other districts.

With the recent rain, is it possible to make up the water we need this year? Even though some rain has finally come, it would be nearly impossible for California to make up the water it needs. According to the Department of Water Resources, the state would need to experience heavy rain or snowfall every other day from now until May in order to achieve average annual precipitation levels. Dr. Peter Gleick, codirector of the water-focused research nonprofit the Pacific Institute, explained that because California's reservoirs are already depleted from a dry past two years, "We need a really, really wet rest of the season. And that's statistically unlikely."
Source

And with the Winter Olympics well underway, a new analysis (PDF) shows how the Winter Olympics have been adapting to climate change for some time, and suggests that of all the cities that have hosted the Games, only six will likely still be able to do so by the end of the century. Warm temperatures are already causing puddles and changes to the snow that are affecting competing athletes in Sochi.

You can pretty much pick any country you like and with very little effort find a recent story about how climate change is affecting it. This is just the start of what our future looks like. Honestly, climate deniers should be regarded as on a par with flat-earthers or holocaust deniers and treated with as much derision and dismissal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Were scientists ever talking about a "pause" to begin with? I only ever saw WSJ scum and the like running with it.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I was reading Twitter search results for "global warming" today, just to hear reactions about the ice storm in the southern states. How depressing. So much bad information floating around, so many people being smart asses in a knee-jerk way.

Anti-science memes for climate change ("if global warming is real, why is it so cold?", "the climate always changes and there's nothing we can do about it", etc.) have solidified into our culture just as they did for evolution.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

TACD posted:

About those UK floods - that's thanks to the most severe period of rainfall in almost 250 years. And high groundwater levels mean that the floods could stick around for months. As usual, the objections of climate deniers essentially boil down to "You can't go blaming this change in the climate on 'climate change'. There's just no evidence for it."

The most depressing thing for me about this has been that although there is a general consensus here that the flooding is linked to global warming, we even had Cameron say so in Parliament, it's generated virtually no public discourse on actually fighting it. I mean there's plenty of talk about flood defences and relief plans and so on, but nobody is saying "oh, well maybe we should actually work towards cutting our emissions".

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Telesphorus posted:

I was reading Twitter search results for "global warming" today, just to hear reactions about the ice storm in the southern states. How depressing. So much bad information floating around, so many people being smart asses in a knee-jerk way.

Anti-science memes for climate change ("if global warming is real, why is it so cold?", "the climate always changes and there's nothing we can do about it", etc.) have solidified into our culture just as they did for evolution.

I live in South Carolina and it's been precipitating since 3am yesterday morning, this storm has been really terrifying not because of being unable to leave the house or the lovely drivers or whatever but just because of how bizarre it is to have 36 straight hours of snow/sleet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stew Man Chew posted:

I live in South Carolina and it's been precipitating since 3am yesterday morning, this storm has been really terrifying not because of being unable to leave the house or the lovely drivers or whatever but just because of how bizarre it is to have 36 straight hours of snow/sleet.

Meanwhile in Texas, we're supposed to have >70 degree weather until at least Wednesday. :toot:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TACD posted:

Well, what do you know? Turns out that the recent 'pause' in rising global temperatures may not have been living up to the hype! How about that?

Source

Meanwhile, California is in the midst of what could be the worst drought in 500 years:

Source

And with the Winter Olympics well underway, a new analysis (PDF) shows how the Winter Olympics have been adapting to climate change for some time, and suggests that of all the cities that have hosted the Games, only six will likely still be able to do so by the end of the century. Warm temperatures are already causing puddles and changes to the snow that are affecting competing athletes in Sochi.

You can pretty much pick any country you like and with very little effort find a recent story about how climate change is affecting it. This is just the start of what our future looks like. Honestly, climate deniers should be regarded as on a par with flat-earthers or holocaust deniers and treated with as much derision and dismissal.

And meanwhile in São Paulo, Brazil, we are having the worst drought in 84 years and the strongest (registered) summer in 20

http://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2014/02/11/politica/1392156791_436377.html

Its in in portuguese, but I will transalate the most important bit:

"It is without a doubt a summer of records. São Paulo had 48 days of temperatures above 30º (celsius), more than the historical medium for these months in the last 20 years, when the reports of the Center of Emergy Management started. The reservoir of Cantereira, responsible for the supply of water to 14 million people in São Paulo and 62 cities in the state, have the lowest levels since created, in 1983. A consequence of the worst drought faced by the state in 80 years"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Unfortunately Brazil is forecast to become increasingly dry as the world warms. This represents yet another positive feedback loop in the climate; when tropical forests dry they emit more carbon than they sequester, and this effect increase when roads and development penetrate previously contiguous canopies.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Every time I come into this thread it feels like my only response could be the title over and over again.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Speaking of the thread title...

I know that Meet the Press is total garbage, but just when it seems like mainstream media can't be any worse on climate change... well, I guess it keeps on doing what it does. How is any of this acceptable? I mean, I know why, but HOW?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Insanite posted:

Speaking of the thread title...

I know that Meet the Press is total garbage, but just when it seems like mainstream media can't be any worse on climate change... well, I guess it keeps on doing what it does. How is any of this acceptable? I mean, I know why, but HOW?

Well, at least Nye did unexpectedly well in revealing how poor the arguments for creationism were. Maybe he can pull it off again.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Hello Sailor posted:

Well, at least Nye did unexpectedly well in revealing how poor the arguments for creationism were. Maybe he can pull it off again.

I can flat out guarantee that, barring a miracle, neither side of this issue will gain the upper hand from one interview.

sitchensis posted:

Every time I come into this thread it feels like my only response could be the title over and over again.

You and me both, friend.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Inglonias posted:

I can flat out guarantee that, barring a miracle, neither side of this issue will gain the upper hand from one interview.

That was true for the creationism debate, but the goal isn't to "gain the upper hand," it's to convince the people on the fence, or who have never heard actual climate science, and hopefully show just how weak the climate-denier's "evidence" is. Combating climate change means we need a million steps in the right direction. No one thing is or was ever going to fix any of the problems.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

That was true for the creationism debate, but the goal isn't to "gain the upper hand," it's to convince the people on the fence, or who have never heard actual climate science, and hopefully show just how weak the climate-denier's "evidence" is. Combating climate change means we need a million steps in the right direction. No one thing is or was ever going to fix any of the problems.

And that would be good if we had time for a million baby steps in the right direction, or indeed if we were actually taking those baby steps at all. As it is, we don't and we're not.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Inglonias posted:

And that would be good if we had time for a million baby steps in the right direction, or indeed if we were actually taking those baby steps at all. As it is, we don't and we're not.

I'm under no delusions; I've read plenty about how bad poo poo is and how much worse it's going to get. However, no matter what, we need to start shifting momentum towards combating climate change, because it can always get even worse. Like, okay, we're for sure going to miss the 2C mark, but let's not give up and say "gently caress it" because there's always the 6C mark and the 8C mark and so on and so forth.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Inglonias posted:

Okay, so are you proposing (a) that we should do nothing at all, (b) that we should only pursue "magic bullet" solutions, or (c) some third option?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Bill Nye has done these exact kinds of news appearances numerous times in the last few years and nothing changes. Its just a ratings gimmick and nothing else. Outside of a massive, informative ad campaign, no one is going to suddenly go, in February 2014, "hmmm maybe this science guy has a point about all this science and the weather!"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Okay, so are you proposing (a) that we should do nothing at all, (b) that we should only pursue "magic bullet" solutions, or (c) some third option?

Dammit, stop confronting me with my own lack of logic. It's making me feel stupid.

You are, of course, correct. I'm not stupid enough to say you're wrong. C is the right answer, but if I'm feeling relatively emotional, A and B are going to seem pretty attractive because C doesn't feel like it's going to do anything at this point.

That's the situation we're in, though, so I guess I'll do my best to do my part, and so will everyone else.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I'm under no delusions; I've read plenty about how bad poo poo is and how much worse it's going to get. However, no matter what, we need to start shifting momentum towards combating climate change, because it can always get even worse. Like, okay, we're for sure going to miss the 2C mark, but let's not give up and say "gently caress it" because there's always the 6C mark and the 8C mark and so on and so forth.

I was under the impression that if things got to >4C, we're all dead anyhow, so how can it get much worse than that?

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Inglonias posted:

I was under the impression that if things got to >4C, we're all dead anyhow, so how can it get much worse than that?

4C isn't going to kill everyone. It will be horrific, but "we're all literally dead" is hyperbole.

• Locked thread