Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

They're also cards that are worth a bunch of money and are at a power level that isn't equal to modern uncommon cards. You're nuts if you think they're going to reprint 70 dollar legacy staples at uncommon just because that was the original rarity in loving Alliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

OssiansFolly posted:

I HIGHLY doubt they will reprint TNN. It is kind of strong outside multiplayer formats (the ones it is allowed in). Reprinting it would drop the price on it, and the C13 packs though...

I could easily see TNN in this set. It was designed with multiplayer in mind and makes perfect sense to have on a multiplayer draft format. It also gives people an incentive to buy packs outside of drafting since its legacy playable.

Fox of Stone posted:

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

E: they reprinted scavenging ooze, a former commander only card, in a core set with accompanying DOTP promo.

The rarity it was first printed at means nothing. Sengir Vampire went from uncommon to rare and then back to uncommon.

Force of Will is clearly at a rare power level. I'm highly skeptical of a reprint in this set and 100% sure that it wouldn't be uncommon if it was reprinted.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 13, 2014

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The nice thing about Cogwork Librarian is that even if you never find anything to swap it back out with, you'll always end up playing a colorless hill giant. In most sets, a colorless 3/3 for 4 with an upside is typically uncommon.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Literally The Worst posted:

You're literally insane if you think this is going to happen.

TNN in every multiplayer set forever would be pretty funny though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Conspiracy seems cool as poo poo, I hope they'll be able to do it on MODO.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boxman posted:

TNN in every multiplayer set forever would be pretty funny though.

I was talking more about the Force/Wasteland reprints at uncommon.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Oh look, more talk on the right and wrong ways to play Commander!

The circular arguments in this thread are tightening into a spiral! Each time is closer and closer.

ProTip: Don't post being a dick, unless you can handle being called a dick.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They're also cards that are worth a bunch of money and are at a power level that isn't equal to modern uncommon cards. You're nuts if you think they're going to reprint 70 dollar legacy staples at uncommon just because that was the original rarity in loving Alliances.

I could see it not being included due to power level differences - forgot about that. I don't see how it being $70 means anything. I have 9 so it's not a case of me wanting cheap ones. They were printed at uncommon. I think Serra angel and a couple other lesser uncommons have the dubious distinction of being upgraded to rare. I could see that too but I think they belong at uncommon. Multiplayer has enough "answer me or die" situations where a FOW is needed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

I could see that too but I think they belong at uncommon.

There's no way in hell Force belongs at uncommon. I can't even fathom why you think this is a reasonable thing. Pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand to cast it for free is not an uncommon thing. Uncommon in 1996, when they still didn't really know what they were doing, is not the same thing as uncommon in 2014.

edit Also Serra Angel is back to uncommon and has been for a few years now.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 13, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Nastier Nate posted:

The nice thing about Cogwork Librarian is that even if you never find anything to swap it back out with, you'll always end up playing a colorless hill giant. In most sets, a colorless 3/3 for 4 with an upside is typically uncommon.

I'm curious to see how people play him during draft. It immediately jumps out at me that acquiring one pack one means SIT ON IT and use him pick 1 on a subsequent pack when you can snag two powerful cards (ideal case is if you crack a rare and a foil rare that are both playable, for example).

I think he'll almost always get swapped, though....how many times per draft do you have to agonize over choosing between two equally helpful cards, gambling on which one might table or show up in another pack?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm curious to see how people play him during draft. It immediately jumps out at me that acquiring one pack one means SIT ON IT and use him pick 1 on a subsequent pack when you can snag two powerful cards (ideal case is if you crack a rare and a foil rare that are both playable, for example).

I think he'll almost always get swapped, though....how many times per draft do you have to agonize over choosing between two equally helpful cards, gambling on which one might table or show up in another pack?

I feel like Cogwork will be That One Card that always winds up being the remaining one in the pack, next to the land.

But for completely different reasons than unplayable card approaches.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah nowadays they are going toward "fixing" rarities so it doesn't really matter what the original rarity was. Some things have gotten upgraded like Loxodon Warhammer, others downgraded like Take Possession. Some things have been turned into Mythics but I think those are generally in box sets, but it indicates their general attitude. I don't see them doing anything with Legacy in mind anyway but I do think Modern will become more fun as the format continues to develop and there is a reasonable amount of reprinting of staples (speaking as someone who theoretically has a large dollar value collection, I don't want excessive reprinting but would rather see it happen in Modern than Legacy to keep the value of those older cards higher while keeping at least one eternal format accessible).

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

There's no way in hell Force belongs at uncommon. I can't even fathom why you think this is a reasonable thing. Pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand to cast it for free is not an uncommon thing. Uncommon in 1996, when they still didn't really know what they were doing, is not the same thing as uncommon in 2014.

Seriously, free counterspells at uncommon would warp the hell out of a limited format. Besides, Wizards is interested in reducing the price of staples, not crashing them. There's a multitude of factors that's keeping FoW at rare or higher.

Wasteland could technically be an uncommon in a limited format like Theros since there's almost no targets for it to destroy, but once again it's a $100 card which they're not interested in crashing the price of.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

edit Also Serra Angel is back to uncommon and has been for a few years now.

quote:

Multiplayer has enough "answer me or die" situations where a FOW is needed.
And yes I know Serra is back to uncommon where she belongs. Just like FOW and wasteland and strip mine for that matter.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yeah Cogwork seems like an awesome pick up in pack 1, not worth it if it comes pack 3.

So the number crunching has begun with the realization that this set follows a new scheme for distribution of cards, or this set only has about 60 new cards.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Count Bleck posted:

I feel like Cogwork will be That One Card that always winds up being the remaining one in the pack, next to the land.

But for completely different reasons than unplayable card approaches.

Eh, it's still a colorless Hill Giant. I can think of plenty of drafts where I was looking light on creatures and just wanted something even mildly playable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

And yes I know Serra is back to uncommon where she belongs. Just like FOW and wasteland and strip mine for that matter.

Why do you think Force would belong at uncommon if it was reprinted tomorrow, besides that was its original rarity (because original rarity means gently caress all, especially when talking about cards from 1996)?

Forget about it being just straight up too good to be an uncommon in 2014, it would absolutely floor the price and WotC doesn't want to do that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

weird vanilla posted:

Eh, it's still a colorless Hill Giant. I can think of plenty of drafts where I was looking light on creatures and just wanted something even mildly playable.

I also eagerly await the guy who puts his Cogwork back in to take a playable and ANOTHER Cogwork :getin:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Remember that Conspiracy is a Limited product not a Constructed one. Less of your answer me or die happening. I really don't think it matters though. If Conspiracy was meant to be like a normal set and be played in both formats, Force is still clearly a rare by modern standards. If the set really needed a good counterspell at uncommon then they'd create/use a good counterspell at uncommon. It wouldn't be Force.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bosushi! posted:

I could easily see TNN in this set. It was designed with multiplayer in mind and makes perfect sense to have on a multiplayer draft format. It also gives people an incentive to buy packs outside of drafting since its legacy playable.

Sets are designed 12-18 months before they go to retail if not more. They clearly didn't know that TNN was the hit card in c13 18 months ago and plan to reprint it barely months after its introduction. It isn't in Conspiracy, I guarantee it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Count Bleck posted:

I also eagerly await the guy who puts his Cogwork back in to take a playable and ANOTHER Cogwork :getin:

...I am at a loss of words on the logic in this...I am sure there are dumb enough people to do it...but why are they playing Magic?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

Chaining Cogworks to gently caress with people :aaaaa:

I sort of want a GP Conspiracy just to see how much of a clusterfuck it would be to cover it on camera.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Putting back cogwork to take cogwork and FOIL cogwork :aaaaa:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Count Bleck posted:

Putting back cogwork to take cogwork and FOIL cogwork :aaaaa:

I put back all the Cogworks and take everything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why do you think Force would belong at uncommon if it was reprinted tomorrow, besides that was its original rarity (because original rarity means gently caress all, especially when talking about cards from 1996)?

Forget about it being just straight up too good to be an uncommon in 2014, it would absolutely floor the price and WotC doesn't want to do that.

quote:

Multiplayer has enough "answer me or die" situations where a FOW (e: and wasteland) is needed.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

I put back all the Cogworks and take everything.
Oh my god drafting 5-6 cogworks in the first 2 packs, completely wrecking the 3rd pack by completely cutting off a color. :aaaaa:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TUrns out this is actually not one of the criteria that goes into determining rarity, please try again.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

It's not inherit to multiplayer formats that something is so strong you need free counterspells to answer it. In eternal multiplayer formats, like commander, FOW is "necessary" for the same reason it is in Legacy, because there are busted-rear end cards in it. In a limited format where Wizards has 100% control over which 210 cards people can play it's not needed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TUrns out this is actually not one of the criteria that goes into determining rarity, please try again.
Ah yes. I forgot they print counter spell and cancel at rare.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
If they did a free spell they'd probably do the Pacts, but even then there's no need in a limited environment for that. Any reprints will be focused on either mana consistency improvements or fun funky multiplayer friendly cards. I do think the idea they reprint some filter lands or something akin is a possibility.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

En Fuego posted:

Oh look, more talk on the right and wrong ways to play Commander!

The circular arguments in this thread are tightening into a spiral! Each time is closer and closer.

ProTip: Don't post being a dick, unless you can handle being called a dick.

The correct way to play Commander (and Magic in general) has always been "with a group that wants to play it the same way you do"

For the guy who hates playing Commander, he should probably just leave his decks at home or dismantle them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

Neither of those cards can be played without paying their mana cost by exiling a blue card from your hand and paying one life.

Seriously, the "play without paying the mana cost" part is a huge loving deal that you're conveniently ignoring because you want it to be easily available.

You seriously don't get how rarity works. Rosewater's written about it once or twice and he has a whole podcast devoted to it. You should read/listen to him, it's pretty interesting and educational.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fox of Stone posted:

Both of those are less powerful and complex than FOW, it's clear that you don't understand how rarity works.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If you want a direct comparison for ACC counterspells, both Thwart and Foil were uncommon. Of course, those are closer to Alliances than they are to the present day, chronologically (:smithicide:) and probably the most recent example, Disrupting Shoal, is rare despite the fact that it's pretty terrible. Misdirection is also rare, though its card text tends to be 'rare' a lot more often than "counter target spell" does (cf. Shunt, Redirect).

Really the real answer is probably "it'd be justifiable to reprint it at either uncommon or rare and it just comes down to whether Wizards wants to be good or evil-but-less-evil-than-they'd-be-by-not-reprinting-at-all."

e: MMA and TNN showed that overall supply is as much or more of a factor as the booster pack percentage. Rare would probably be fine as long as Wizards keeps the retailer throughput going strong.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 13, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

"it'd be justifiable to reprint it at either uncommon

Nobody has justified this besides saying that "it's needed".

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
This thread is all sorts of retarded today. Can we try to combine that "what rarity X card should be if reprinted" with "I wreaked furious vengeance on a lovely commander group by being a bigger baby instead of saying no until they shut the gently caress up." How about a tale where he beat them by cheating with a deck that had Talarand as a commander and 99 FoW's and they complained how it should never have been printed at uncommon because clearly he has 99 of them because they are an uncommon and gosh if he'd have just said no I don't want to play commander instead of wrecking their game they'd have been ok with it jeez you big jerk omg this is a run on sentence I have used to many caffeinee patches asd;flkasdfjasd;lkasjdf;asldkfjasdf................

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Force of Will isn't nearly as good in limited as it is in Legacy/Vintage and wouldn't hurt the Conspiracy format itself if printed at uncommon. That said, there's no way that they'd flood the market by reprinting it as anything but a rare, and most likely it'd be a mythic. Wasteland makes even less sense as there aren't many non-basics in limited.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nobody has justified this besides saying that "it's needed".

I tend to think that reprinting something at its former rarity is the default and doesn't have any sort of burden of proof attached to it.

As I said, though, they can probably print it at rare and have the 'needed' effect on eternal formats as long as they ensure that your LGS's shelves remains stocked with shipments of the given product for a period of several months. If they decide to do it MMA style and test the waters then it probably wouldn't have any effect.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 13, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

I tend to think that reprinting something at its former rarity is the default and doesn't have any sort of burden of proof attached to it.

I guess they could print it as an uncommon, if they want to avoid making money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

On the other hand, it's way too good for an uncommon and the default ruling would be scoffed at.

• Locked thread