Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Now that the lockbox is on the way out even the pubbies know the supply is about to become limited. Its probably going to become more expensive going forward but maybe not that much more expensive because the passive bonus is mostly for tanky tank characters and there aren't too many of those wandering about. After the gf patch who knows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
I was thinking about a way to have a better management system for the script...

What if instead of this grid of numbers per character, you actually got a 3x3 grid for each character, each dedicated to its own list of priorities? This would help both in Leadership to better control what your output is as well as allow you to side-by-side create multiple potions via alchemy. Or dedicate one slot to rares only. Ideally, you'd have all the priority lists on the settings area rather than in the code itself, but otherwise, that would greatly improve the scope of its function, I believe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyntalan posted:

I was thinking about a way to have a better management system for the script...

What if instead of this grid of numbers per character, you actually got a 3x3 grid for each character, each dedicated to its own list of priorities? This would help both in Leadership to better control what your output is as well as allow you to side-by-side create multiple potions via alchemy. Or dedicate one slot to rares only. Ideally, you'd have all the priority lists on the settings area rather than in the code itself, but otherwise, that would greatly improve the scope of its function, I believe.

Yeah, I've been thinking about ways to do that, and also to let you say "make sure I have one of these" and "make pants if they're up, otherwise leadership". I have a bunch of hygiene improvements to make to the script first before I could stomach that much surgery, though, and I still haven't licked the Chrome settings bug.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking about ways to do that, and also to let you say "make sure I have one of these" and "make pants if they're up, otherwise leadership". I have a bunch of hygiene improvements to make to the script first before I could stomach that much surgery, though, and I still haven't licked the Chrome settings bug.

With your script is there any reason to not shorten the delay between characters? Doing a lot of short tasks on a couple guys ends up with 10-20% downtime at one minute intervals depending on how unlucky I get with the other 5.

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
I think the "Hire a <x>" needs to return to the list of priorities to be at the very bottom again. Script gets stuck in endless loops unable to do anything if you end up with an empty slot and no guys to fill 'em with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Azhais posted:

With your script is there any reason to not shorten the delay between characters? Doing a lot of short tasks on a couple guys ends up with 10-20% downtime at one minute intervals depending on how unlucky I get with the other 5.

Yeah, I set mine to 10s. I guess I could get blocked by Cryptic for hammering the gateway, but I doubt it. On my TODO list is to have it check the outstanding times and do faster cycling if there are things coming up soon, falling back to f.e. 5 mins when everything has a while to go.

NatasDog also pointed out that the script is dumb in that it can sit there and "watch" something complete during the cycling timeout, and not do anything about it until the next loop around. That's easily fixable with another profession-cycle check at the end of the timer, and I have that untested-but-I'm-sure-it-works-what-could-go-wrong in my tree now. In the future I want to make character switching a lot faster (skip the character change UI entirely), which will also make that less of an issue.

Cyntalan posted:

I think the "Hire a <x>" needs to return to the list of priorities to be at the very bottom again. Script gets stuck in endless loops unable to do anything if you end up with an empty slot and no guys to fill 'em with.

I think what I really want is a way to fall through to another profession if needed, so if you don't have enough platesmiths you can use the slot for leadership, or you can set something to make rare pants but raise alchemy the rest of the time. It also needs to balance out slot usage better. With five mercenaries and five slots, you can end up with two in each of the first two slots, one in the third, and fail in the fourth and fifth. Fixing that would go a long way to reducing the number of white dudes that need to be created.

Making the profession-task rules easier to change is another thing I need to do. For now I might just make it a URL you can stick in, and then people can pastebin their configs or whatever. That would avoid the overwriting during upgrade problem, and make it easier for people to edit their configs.

"I know, I'll just fix this broken character switch stuff..."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if anyone already mentioned this, but Sword Coast Adventures (the dice game on the Gateway) has added in daily bonuses that--for something free--aren't awful. Mostly extra money and common/uncommon crafting goods (based on a d20 "die roll" and your level). You can get one a day just for clicking on "Sword Coast Adventures," then two more for completing dungeons.

Definitely worth clicking on, and does slightly improve the payoff for completing dungeons.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is that ongoing? I figured it was just part of the challenge event since it started at the same time. It actually has OK rewards on the natural 20s (relative to what you usually get on the SCA)

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I set mine to 10s. I guess I could get blocked by Cryptic for hammering the gateway, but I doubt it. On my TODO list is to have it check the outstanding times and do faster cycling if there are things coming up soon, falling back to f.e. 5 mins when everything has a while to go.

NatasDog also pointed out that the script is dumb in that it can sit there and "watch" something complete during the cycling timeout, and not do anything about it until the next loop around. That's easily fixable with another profession-cycle check at the end of the timer, and I have that untested-but-I'm-sure-it-works-what-could-go-wrong in my tree now. In the future I want to make character switching a lot faster (skip the character change UI entirely), which will also make that less of an issue.

I think what I really want is a way to fall through to another profession if needed, so if you don't have enough platesmiths you can use the slot for leadership, or you can set something to make rare pants but raise alchemy the rest of the time. It also needs to balance out slot usage better. With five mercenaries and five slots, you can end up with two in each of the first two slots, one in the third, and fail in the fourth and fifth. Fixing that would go a long way to reducing the number of white dudes that need to be created.

Making the profession-task rules easier to change is another thing I need to do. For now I might just make it a URL you can stick in, and then people can pastebin their configs or whatever. That would avoid the overwriting during upgrade problem, and make it easier for people to edit their configs.

"I know, I'll just fix this broken character switch stuff..."

Should I just bail on the auto-updating for now then? If I don't, I'm pretty sure it'll notice and auto-update to overwrite...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Is that ongoing? I figured it was just part of the challenge event since it started at the same time. It actually has OK rewards on the natural 20s (relative to what you usually get on the SCA)

I got them this afternoon, so I assume so. Could have just been leftover, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyntalan posted:

Should I just bail on the auto-updating for now then? If I don't, I'm pretty sure it'll notice and auto-update to overwrite...

I'll post the next one to a new pastebin at first, so you shouldn't get surprising config-loss. Though if I get the config stuff together then it shouldn't be too hard to port over.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does someone perchance have a scratch account with a couple of level-10+ characters I could borrow for a bit? It'd make it a lot less frustrating to work on the config-loss thing if I could use a second account.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Subjunctive posted:

Does someone perchance have a scratch account with a couple of level-10+ characters I could borrow for a bit? It'd make it a lot less frustrating to work on the config-loss thing if I could use a second account.

I don't but if no one else is up to it I could make a new one and work the chars on the weekend, it takes about 90-120 minutes to level up a character to 10. There's no penalty to making another account as long as you use a different email right?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Don Tacorleone posted:

I don't but if no one else is up to it I could make a new one and work the chars on the weekend, it takes about 90-120 minutes to level up a character to 10. There's no penalty to making another account as long as you use a different email right?

If it's for such a good cause, I'll do it right now if you're still needing one. I've got nothing to do this morning anyway- tried my hand at running Dungeon Delves as a 60 for the first time ever and had an absolutely horrible experience with the pugs. First got into a DV run where apparently the group had gotten all the way to the end boss and then given up, so the queue kept trying to slot more people in with the one guy who had stuck around, but the moment anyone loaded in and saw what had happened they left. Then finally did get in with a minute to spare on a group that seemed to know what it was doing, only to suddenly find myself dumped back into PE about halfway through- I assume I was voted off the island because I'm not already a 14k+ GS all-purped out damage dealing monster. So it's the lovely Catch-22 of can't seem to dungeon without gear, can't gear without dungeon... /endrant

What I'm saying, is I'm more than happy to roll one up on a purpose built email and sending you the details. :D

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Stacks of 99 are down to 90k, that's impressive. My pure speculation leads me to think the botters are selling cheap to raise a lot of funds for the upcoming patch. Its like 10 dollars for a million ad on the gold sites which if you turn into zen at the max price of 500ad is 2000 zen. So that's like half the price of buying it from cryptic and people buy boxes like crazy. Good deal that can only get better if you are 100% certain they won't ban your account. And prices are trending up so you could make ad that way. By buying zen I mean and selling later not some botter scam.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goofballs posted:

Stacks of 99 are down to 90k, that's impressive. My pure speculation leads me to think the botters are selling cheap to raise a lot of funds for the upcoming patch. Its like 10 dollars for a million ad on the gold sites which if you turn into zen at the max price of 500ad is 2000 zen. So that's like half the price of buying it from cryptic and people buy boxes like crazy. Good deal that can only get better if you are 100% certain they won't ban your account. And prices are trending up so you could make ad that way. By buying zen I mean and selling later not some botter scam.
Yeah, Zen is up to 381. 15%ish jump in the last few days.

Goddamn, I'm highly tempted to liquidate my Zen and buy stacks of rank 5 enchantments at that price.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Goofballs posted:

How are they with gold sellers anyway? When I first started I got tons of gold spam direct tells (before the trade channel went in). Haven't gotten any this time around. They crack down on it some, or do they just not give a poo poo and the spammers just stick to trade?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

They spam lfg a lot and sometimes I get spam mail from them in the in game mail.

On an unrelated note maelstorm of chaos and slam are also due to stop interrupting Valindra in Malabog's Castle so I hope everyone got the relevant gear already because that fight is about to get a good bit harder. Not impossible by a long shot but its going to make it impossible for no brain pugs who don't understand they are going to have to stop dpsing the boss and help.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, Zen is up to 381. 15%ish jump in the last few days.

Goddamn, I'm highly tempted to liquidate my Zen and buy stacks of rank 5 enchantments at that price.

Bad time to buy Zen on the trading house then, I think was just buying some at 330 or so a few days ago.

Out of curiosity, how much Zen are you holding?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Doing my daily Sword Coast Adventure die roll and every character is rolling 14.

At least it's not stuck on 1.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Bad time to buy Zen on the trading house then, I think was just buying some at 330 or so a few days ago.

Out of curiosity, how much Zen are you holding?

Heh, not much, but most of my AD is tied up in there and Adventurers.

I bought 3700ish @ 330, but spent 1800 epic horse mounts when they were on sale, and another 600 on bank slots when they were on sale (I know, using AD to actually play the game instead of holding on to it; I'm a wild man). I'm sitting on 1300 and change now, but if I convert that to AD, that'd be enough for 5 stacks of rank 5 enchants.

I bought pre-refinement change when the stacks were going for 125k, sold two stacks off one enchant at a time right after the change (a little labor intensive, but well worth it) for between 2800-3700 each. That's around a 2.5:1 return.

I've also got a coalescent ward sitting around that I'm half-tempted to convert. Maybe even divest from Adventurers, too... but I'm expecting them to go up in price as well.

Probably hang on to the Adventurers just so I'm not putting all of my eggs in the Rank 5 Enchantments basket; a diverse investment profile is good security.

I would expect Zen to top out at 470 or so at the absolute highest (honestly, I think it'll hit maybe 420 or so), and I wouldn't be surprised at all if rank 5 enchant stacks shot back up to 125k, or even higher, so I think they're probably a better bet right now. Even if they don't, you can always use them to level up artifacts, so it's not like that money goes to waste.

Just be aware that my crystal ball isn't any better than anyone else's, and lord knows I've lost AD by making wrong calls before.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 11, 2014

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Goofballs posted:

My pure speculation leads me to think the botters are selling cheap to raise a lot of funds for the upcoming patch.

What can you bot that results in full stacks of rank 5 enchants?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mondian posted:

What can you bot that results in full stacks of rank 5 enchants?

Probably a million profession sites during the profession event

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Azhais posted:

Probably a million profession sites during the profession event

I've never seen a 5 from a profession node, that I can recall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goofballs posted:

On an unrelated note maelstorm of chaos and slam are also due to stop interrupting Valindra in Malabog's Castle so I hope everyone got the relevant gear already because that fight is about to get a good bit harder.

Oh man, I get a power point back!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I've never seen a 5 from a profession node, that I can recall.
I have seen Lesser Marks of Potency from profession nodes, though.

And 4 to 5 is the last level you can do with lesser marks. Though, they don't stack then.

Huh. Good point. That's weird. I wonder if they're just running dungeons or something?

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Subjunctive posted:

If you still need one I have an account with 2 60s with 8 crafting slots each that you can borrow as long as you want. Send me a pm or a email (my username @gmail) if you're interested.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Goofballs posted:

They spam lfg a lot and sometimes I get spam mail from them in the in game mail.

On an unrelated note maelstorm of chaos and slam are also due to stop interrupting Valindra in Malabog's Castle so I hope everyone got the relevant gear already because that fight is about to get a good bit harder. Not impossible by a long shot but its going to make it impossible for no brain pugs who don't understand they are going to have to stop dpsing the boss and help.

That kind of blows. The fight's already a pain in the rear end as is even with a full group of 11k+, now no one's going to want to touch it unless they're 13k or better. Or they'll just glitch it like the majority of the pugs I've ended up with, which is just boring as hell.

I love the fight honestly, and I enjoy the fact that you have to be on your toes from start to finish, but I thought Valindra's purpose there was to just be a sideshow distraction and not another mini-boss fight running at the same time as the main boss.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

And 4 to 5 is the last level you can do with lesser marks. Though, they don't stack then.

Huh. Good point. That's weird. I wonder if they're just running dungeons or something?

Exactly. I've been trying to wrap my head around it since Goof originally posted about rank 5 stacks, but I can't work it out. Even if they are refining up lower rank enchants, it would be a huge pain in the rear end getting them to an even Rank 5 so they'd stack.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mondian posted:

Exactly. I've been trying to wrap my head around it since Goof originally posted about rank 5 stacks, but I can't work it out. Even if they are refining up lower rank enchants, it would be a huge pain in the rear end getting them to an even Rank 5 so they'd stack.

Tho if that's what they are actually doing via a bot, bots could do that math pretty easily

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Tho if that's what they are actually doing via a bot, bots could do that math pretty easily

What about crits?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yep, crits gently caress everything up and no matter how sophisticated the bot, it would still end up with hundreds of unstackable rank 5's.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mondian posted:

Yep, crits gently caress everything up and no matter how sophisticated the bot, it would still end up with hundreds of unstackable rank 5's.

The conspiracy theory on the official forums is that there's a new caturday duping exploit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FelixReynolds posted:

If it's okay with all involved, could someone flick them my way when Cynt finished?

Sent.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Edited for more excessive details/readability

edit: Some build changes. Went back to storm spell because evocation doesnt work with suddenstorm. I don't like the randomness of sudden storm but it works. There isn't a really notable difference anyway in absolute damage and I only did for neurosis sake. I also took bitter cold instead of critical power just because I've been running Castle Never a lot and the speed of singularity isn't that important to me there because there is always at least one other wizard. If I was solo wizarding in groups a lot I would go back to it. Pretty much everything else still stands.

If you want something that will work for sure just copy the feat and power selections in the pictures and swap evocation for storm spell and read the feat descriptions. There you have a build, the whys are below.

Some people wanted to know about wizard builds and they don't want to look at the official forums so this is my one which is very similar to ones on the official forums. I'll make some suggestions about how you could change it and why it works along the way. That said my build changes quite a bit and there are better players and bigger nerds than me so I wouldn't take it as gospel. Its also made for pve, wizards are kind of not good in pvp and I would make different choices if I was focusing on that.

Mostly what I'm trying to do is increase damage because the only way of increasing control is reducing cooldowns or increasing action point gain and the related feats are often weak so damage is what you can actually really optimise. You could also make a much tankier wizard but that's a pvp thing.

This is a spellstorm wizard build, I tried Master of flame but the upsides weren't worth the downsides to me. Its for endgame but its probably fine to level with. Like I said swap evocation for storm spell because of the low gs but content is totally doable even if you aren't taking loads of passives. The meat of the build is the feats so lets get to it.

Heroic Feats

I'll explain what's going on left to right. There are no points in controlling action because its really very bad. The wording is ambiguous and you could be forgiven for thinking you will get 10% of your ap if you do something to a controlled target. You actually get 10% of the ap you would get from the encounter. So for example if you forcechoke some mob they are controlled and then if you hit them with shield you get 5% of your action point bar just from the encounter and then you get an additional .5% on top of that from controlling action. So gently caress all basically. So what you do is you put 3 into the crit one for an additional 3% chance to crit and then you put the last 2 into hitpoints because its something tangible.

In the next column 3 in wizards wrath because you are almost always doing aoe. The next 2 points go into fight on. That's a good feat but the benefits are less than you would think because you tend to do a rotation, dodge and then do another rotation and by the time you have moved enough you are good for another rotation. Battlewise is garbage because you are going to do enough damage and probably do it first because you have range that it just isn't going to change anything.

In column 3 arcane enhancement is the obvious choice. Of your 4 encounters 3 tend to be arcane so that's good. Lightning teleport is worthless so nothing there. You get 3 dodges and the only reason you would want more is for pvp. I put 2 in blighting power but you could easily take those out and put them into fight on. Mostly I tend to have 1 cold power on tab so its ok. In pvp its a really nice bump for icy rays. Instead of putting the powers into blighting power putting them into fight on is a totally valid choice. That said I don't because the majority of fights don't last that long, over a long enough period you would get more damage from just firing your encounters more assuming you don't have to dodge a lot.

Column 4 has 3 points focused wizardry because its more aoe damage and wizards do aoe. Learned spellcaster's description is awkward but its 1% of damage for every point and then a bonus based on the amount of intelligence. If my character was human I would put 3 more points into that. Predestignation is horrible. If you max it out and say you have 3k in some stat you get an extra 90 from the feat which is too small to be meaningful and its not more meaningful when applied to 4 other people. Really there is no difference between 3000 crit and 3090 crit. A weird amount of people take it though because they want to be helpful or buff their gearscore for some tiny amount.

Path Feats

You basically have 3 paths you can follow and you can really only max out one. Briefly Oppressor is the tree for pvp, thaumaturge is for dps and renegade increases the benefits of crit. Really renegade is for the flame version of wizard.

I don't take any feats in oppressor however there is one feat at the start called bitter cold that you might want to take. Applying chills is a thing you do constantly so its like 5% extra dps for nothing. Most of oppressor is about getting more chillstacks which works well with the chilling presence passive but mostly its for stunlocking people in pvp.

The vast majority of the feats I selected are in thaum. I put 5 into malevolent surge and 5 into tempest magic. They are goodish feats. Tempest magic is nice because as soon as you nuke the weak mobs its a 30% damage buff and because you aoe you will nuke them. Malevolent surge is less good, in theory its 10% buff 30% of the time but when mobs get that low they tend to die real fast. Destructive wizardry is crap because storm pillar is a crap at will. Oh yeah and far spell is there, that's another pvp thing but you probably wouldn't go that far into thaum if you were building your character for pvp.

I don't have any points in Snap Freeze even though it is an excellent feat. If your opener is chillstrike that's a 15% buff on it. Out of the gate that's sweet and if that's your only chill power (conduit of ice doesnt add chillstacks except on tab) the chill stacks will be gone by the time you can use it again. The problem with it for me is when you have other wizards around they tend to have chillstacks on things. That's really why I ditched it because I've been doing Castle Never more lately and there are always like 2 other wizards there. It also doesn't work well with the next feat. If you are mostly the only wizard in the group maybe take it.

Next on the list is frozen power transfer. This is a recent addition for me because I had the points in snapfreeze. Anyway without this feat chilling cloud is a garbage at will. With it you could be getting big damage buffs. Basically if there's another wizard around helping or somehow if you don't have aggro and you hit 5 mobs with the last one that's 25% bonus damage which is a real possibility in vt,cn or mc. Like if they put up a singularity and you are on cooldown use chilling cloud and you will have a big buff for when you can use your encounters again. I suggest alternating between that and magic missile so you are still getting arcane stacks. Things aren't always so smooth though and when they aren't I suggest sticking with the magic missile instead of trying to figure out where you could get the biggest buff from also it gives you arcane stacks which also buff your damage some.

The Last 3 choices are fairly straight forward. Elemental empowerment is basically 10% damage for all arcane spells. The way it works is you get your damage and then the game looks at the mobs mitigation and your armour penetration, after that it applies debuffs. Transcended master is a 15% bonus to shard damage. Shard right now is probably our hardest hitting encounter. If you are naked except for your orb and do nothing else but throw a shard you would be getting a 50% bonus to shard damage from the feats so far. You can get another 45% from hv and the evocation passive. This entire build is pretty much just stacking buffs and debuffs. Lastly you take the cap feat and you are tied to using conduit of ice almost all the time. The 15% mitigation debuff if not everyone else in group has armour pen where it should be is pretty sweet and armour pen still doesn't work with all powers, you can check the bottom of the post for a list of what it doesn't work with so the 15% mitigation buff is effectively a 15% buff for some powers and 15% is pretty sweet.

In the bottom tree I took critical power, you could swap that out for bitter cold from the oppressor tree but I don't because it helps a lot with getting the singularity up in a hurry. I crit at least once every 10 seconds so and the extra 5% ap adds up fast. Again the more wizards you stack the less useful that is because more singularities go up making yours perhaps unnecessary but if its just you or like one other wizard its really good. Amusingly this used to be kind of a crap feat because of how easily wizards used to gain ap but since entangle and shield got nerfed so much critical power really does help to make up some of the ground lost.

I just want to mention some other feats in renegade. Next to critical power is nightmare wizardry which sounds good but is redundant if anyone walks around the mobs. That doesn't always happen though and when it doesn't people will make much bigger numbers because of it. At the start you also have reaper's touch which looks like a good feat but its only ok because the distance is basically one teleport so its really inconsistent.

Powers

At will powers

Magic Missile is your bread and butter at will. It builds arcane stack and does good single target damage. Ray of frost is mostly for being annoying in pvp because it will freeze people fairly fast. It also procs stormspell at lot more than the other at wills. Storm pillar allows you to charge ap out of combat, this is excellent for that but no real reason to use it otherwise. I was talking about chilling cloud above. You could take the points out of chilling cloud if you just don't like it. The animation is horrible and it sounds pissy and weak. But very often a 25% buff for nothing is nice. It could be exceptional for single target which is a thing I'm testing.

Class Features

Orb of imposition is garbage but you have to have a point there. Arcane presence isn't great since its just giving cold powers the benefit of arcane stacks. That's isn't terrible but its not deserving of points. Chilling presence is good for single target. You get 3% bonus damage for each stack of chill and getting 6 stacks up constantly on something like the dragon in mc is easy and you get another 5% for your encounters if you are using chilling cloud. In regular pve its less dependable because you lose track of which mobs have stacks on them or there aren't enough to give damage equivalent to the other passives.

You have a choice when it comes to evocation and storm spell but you will be maxing out one of them. The results are very similar. Stormspell basically shoots out lighting bolts that hit for 1800 and evocation is a 15% damage buff on aoes. So for low gs wizards stormspell is marginally better and for high gs wizards evocation is very marginally better. They are both amazing but you only need one.

And lastly you have eye of the storm which will never leave your bar. Its basically like an extra 20% critical chance on all your encounter.

Encounters

Most of them are really good so I duly have almost all of them maxed out. Just some notes though. The single target ones are obviously for pvp or single target boss fights of which there are not many, like 3ish. Icy terrain and sudden storm hit unlimited targets so they are really good. Most powers cap at 5 targets. Steal time almost never comes off the bar, shard is the hardest hitting power and conduit of ice procs eye of the storm well and when feated is a nice damage buff. Shield used to be amazing but it has been nerfed into the ground over time. It has very limited applications and more points don't make it significantly better. It can still be useful though. Don't put entangling force on tab because it generates less ap than it normally does. The debuff on it is really good though. Make sure to look at the spell mastery descriptions, when I got to 60 I hadnt been paying attention and didn't know chill strike wasn't an aoe elsewhere on the bar.

Normally I walk around with Conduit on tab and then suddenstorm, stealtime and shard. If more control is necessary I swap out sudden storm for icy terrain. The general combo is singularity, conduit on mobs on the way up, when they are up you place your shard and fire suddenstorm which will hit them as they come out then you fire you shard which will probably scatter them and then I usually shift forwards after the shard and use steal time. You can probably get an at will rotation in just as suddenstorm comes off cooldown. Usually at this point everything is dead or on the way out. If not suddenstorm is there for another nice whack of damage.

Another combo that I'm aware of is conduit, singularity, tab chillstrike, stealtime and shard. Its for a build with snap freeze because I think I mentioned above conduit doesn't add chill stacks except on tab and chillstrike doesn't work with armour pen. Chillstrike does a gently caress ton of damage when it crits anyway but when it snapfreezes and gets the mitigation debuff from conduit which will be debuffing everything in the singularity its going to hit for a bonus 30% not including aoe buffs or blighting power. That will sting. Its for a lower mob count though because is chillstrike is limited to five targets compared to suddenstorms unlimited. And then shard and stealtime when they're buffs and debuffs are as awesome as ever. It might be more appropriate for like all of t1 and a fiar amount of t2 because you won't be running through the map to make a mob train and then smashing them all in one go.

Oh and repel. We need to talk about repel. Its an amazing power if you know what you are doing with it and can efficiently bump mobs off cliffs. A thing you might not be immediately be aware of is it can hit mobs in a singularity, best to hit tab shortly before it explodes, as the eye is expanding. They will get loving airmiles and go over barriers into pits. If you use repel on tab near no cliffs it will piss people right off because you are making things take longer and they have to then go tediously chase the mobs. That might be something you want to do if they are abrasive horrible people but in general you don't want to be that guy. If you want to learn a map and how to throw on it, and all the t2s have throwing spots go with someone who has a clue, ask and follow their lead. At high gs throwing is less relevant because you can just hulk smash poo poo but if you are running in a low to mid gs groups it might be a thing you want to pay attention to. Go with goons if you can. Pubs who know what they are doing generally don't want to go with people who don't and its a vicious circle of clueless retards and smug dickheads.

This is a list of the amount of action points you gain from using any power

At-Wills

Magic Missile: 3% from full rotation.
Ray of frost: 9% full channel.
Storm pillar: 4% full charge.
Sorching Burst: 3-4% full charge
Chilling cloud: 3% full rotation.

Encounters

Steal Time: 12-13%
Ice Rays: 10%
Shard of the Endless Avalanche (shardplosion): 10%
Conduit of Ice: 9-10%
Icy Terrain: 7-8%
Entangling force: 7%
Ray of Enfeeblement: 6%
Shield pulse: 5%
Sudden storm: 5%
Fanning the flame: 4-5%
Chill strike: 4-5%
Repel 3% per target max 5 targets

And daily powers

Singularity is what you use most of the time to gather mobs up so you can aoe them with ease. You need real reasons not to be using it. Oppressive force does more damage and has a longer stun but it spreads mobs out a bit. It has its applications in places like spiderqueen or against uncontrollable mobs in frozen heart. Usually I see it when in castle never with dps racers where one wizard will fire it under some other guys singularity. Don't be that guy. Because of the speed of activation it makes a good panic button. Ice knife is your single target. Its for bosses basically or finishing some mob off. Maelstorm is useless once it gets fixed and stops interrupting Valindra in mc which will be in the next few days and ice storm will irritate everyone by scattering the mobs everywhere.

Gearing

Stats

You want recovery at 3k or so which should be easy. You get plenty from your armour and later on weapon set bonus and artifacts can give you way more. After 3k you run into sharply diminishing returns. You get 22% penetration with armour pen at 2300 or so. The max mitigation a mob can have is 22% (24% for a boss but who cares). If you only have 10% penetration you are basically giving up 10% of your damage on most of the mobs. Getting it to 20% is good enough but 22% is better. 2.5-3k crit is sufficient. You can absolutely get away with 2k. You get 20% from eye of the storm so don't go to too much effort stacking it. In fact a lot of people put nearly nothing into crit and they do fine. I wouldn't go that far. After you meet these milestones shove everything into power. As you get into high gearscore territory you end up actively trying to find ways to get more power because it has no diminishing returns and you are at those for everything else, especially recovery.

For your defensive stats you mostly want defence because straight up mitigation is the best but your armour limits the amount you can get a lot. Shadow weaver is the ony wizard armour that has lots of defence I think. Deflect isn't great because you don't have a big healthpool and the damage is spiky enough that you don't want tor rely on some small percentage chance of 50% mitiagtion. You're going to get like 700 anyway with hv or archmage. People disagree about lifesteal and regeneration. Regen is really good because you get healthpoints when you are running away and you get more of them based on the amount you have lost. That can be a lifesaver but until you get over 1k of it you won't be getting enough for it to mean poo poo. On the other hand lifesteal can keep you topped up so you don't have to dodge. That said if you stop doing damage because you have to dodge its immediately useless. You are going to be a glass cannon and this stuff will not turn you into a tank but try to focus where you can.

Actual Gear

The best armour set is the high vizier set because its basically 30% damage buff for the party. If you have like 2 people in group with the set one set might quickly become redundant because the effects don't stack. Well 2 is probably still good for big pulls. 3 hv sets is pointless so look at people's gear. If you see 2 people with high vizier go split set and reap the benefits of an extra 450 crit or power or whatever. That said hv is hard to acquire so the other attainable sets are worth a mention.

The best t1 set is the archmage set now that it works. It reduces cooldowns a lot. The gauntlegrym set is also very good while you are gathering your hv set. There's a lot of armour pen on it so it makes your stat allocation a lot easier while you don't have rank 7 dark enchants.

The other t2 sets are much less impressive. Shadow weaver is bugged at the moment so that the set bonus goes up for 2 minutes and then the buffs won't proc for 2 minutes after that. Its weird. Magelord is trash because 800 recovery on top of the 3k you get really easily makes no functional difference. The set bonus on the elf armour and the dread legion armour aren't really interesting. Some huge nerd on the offical forums ran a combar log for Castle Never with the dread ring set and found that the set bonus was like 1% of his damage, big whoop.

Your best weapon is the one with the most damage on it. You can get a t2 orb from gauntlegrym fairly quickly or you can buy the arcane overseer orb for like 30k ad. After that its the elf weapons that you can get from malabog's castle then the castle never weapons, the dread legion weapons and finally the ones you have to craft. The t2 orbs are perfectly fine for everything but eventually you want to upgrade because that's what we do in mmos.

As for rings, belts and necks. The drake seal items can actually keep you going a long time. Generally you want to use them to round out your build with crit, recovery etc as needed. I use the Berserker rings because they have armour pen, power and lifesteal. The slavemaster ones are also good if you need crit and recovery. Necks and waists are realy very cheap on the auction house while rings are more expensive. I think the excorcist neck has power crit and armour pen. People generally are using bue belts with offence slots instead of purple belts with defence slots. Some of the blue belts stack stats in an interesting way, anything with smiting in the description has 243 power and there is a similar crit belt. Its worth looking into and they are cheap as hell.

What else? Oh yeah enchants. Soulforged is the only armour enchant worth anything because when you die it stands you back up again. Awesome. And on weapons vorpal is the best but terror, lightning and plaguefire are also very very good and much much cheaper.

Oh and vorpal works like this, your base damage is 100% and you get another 75% for doing a crit and a perfect vorpal will give you an extra 50%, so 100+75+50 = 225% damage on crit as opposed to 175%. Compared to having no enchant you get roughly a 28% damage increase from doing a perfect vorpal hit, 225/175 = 1.2857. Exactly its 28.57% but you have to multiply it by your crit chance to figure out what your actual overall increase is so in my case that's about 54% chance to crit on encounters if I recall correctly (34%+another 20% from eye of the storm) and .54*28.57 = a roughly 15.4% overall increase. You could possibly get bigger damage increases from other enchants but for wizards vorpal is still the best because stuff will be dead before you build enough stacks to make that so. Just beware of enchants that give you damage based on weapon damage, that scales less well the further you go. I don't know any numbers for that I'm just going off what I read from people who bother to excel sheet everything.

Companions/artifacts

The companion that pretty much everyone has out is the ioun stone of allure because its gives you the stats of the stuff you put on it. Its a zen shop item. You don't need one but it makes making a rounded character much easier.

People also use other companions for the passive bonus they give. Acquiring them can cost money and the effects are very marginal so don't get too worked up about them. That said the wild hunt guy can give you a bonus 10% damage on encounter use 2% of the time, the wisp increases your control and decreases control effects on you, the rust monster reduces the damage of things that hit you, the tinkerbell one increases your ap gain. There a huge list of them but you don't need any of it at all but if you want to go crazy with your money they are things you can buy.

Most wizards go for the lantern of revelation if they can only have one artifact because it has crit and armour pen. Eventually you can pick up the pvp artifact which will give you even more recovery but also a nice amount of regen. I suggest doing the gauntlegrym pvp instead of regular pvp because in 5v5 people will try to kill you because wizards tend to be easy prey but in gg you can get kills from a distance while they pay attention to the 19 other guys and runaway without consequences should anyone look at you. Its fine and much less stressful. Also because you are a goon in the goon clan your faction is the one that almost always wins in gg so you are probably going to get your 700 glory from just riding around on your horse and capping points. Anyway I use it in the primary slot because the power on activation is a big temporary hit point buff which works well as an oh poo poo button when my health is low and my potions are on coodown. The waters artifact is probably going to be your third artifact because it has defence and regen on it, also even more recovery.

As for the other ones, well getting them requires a lot of luck or millions of ad. The book thing from the latest lockbox seems very meh because you get those stats from lantern anyway and the activation power is mainly for melee people who need a ranged attack. I've done the dread ring daily lair quests a lot and haven't seen anything better than peridots but if you happen to get the eye artifact its probably worth using above waters presuming you have plenty of regen already or you are deciding to focus on lifesteal. The symbol of the seldarine is really good and is basically god mode for 15 seconds on activation but in more mc runs than I care to remember I've seen it drop once and some rat bastard pubbie got it. Estimates on the forums suggest you probably have like a .2% chance of getting it each run. The Shard of Valindra crown would be really cool because it has power on it which is a stat I actually give a poo poo about. The active power is just damage, whatever. I've never seen it drop though and I ran that dungeon a lot, especially when it was broken. So this was basically a paragraph about poo poo you will likely never use.

Boons

These are straight forward. I took everything that had power or did damage. Just use the stat ones to round out your build. As for the end boons in sharandar the one that gives you power each time you kill something is excellent because each kill refreshes it. Sometimes I press c for a giggle and see 7000 power just from that. The madness one from the dreadring is the one I picked because, you guessed it, it gives you power. The one that triples the effectiveness of lifesteal is also good if you have plenty of lifesteal.

pvp

I generally don't but needs must sometimes and this is more or less what I end up doing with the current build when pvping. I use the chilling presence and as always eye of the storm as passives. My at wills are magic missle and ray of frost. You can get a stunlock with ray if you live that long and then the your magic missle will do a bonus 18% damage. For dailies I suggest oppressive force and ice knife. Mostly ice knife. Oppressive force can be good if anyone closes the distance because they likely won't know what the gently caress just happened. It will also chew up a rogue's stealth and daze them. For encounters I suggest icy rays on tab. The spike damage is really quite big and its feated by blighting power and transcended master for a bonus 21% damage. Also it roots people which lets you ice knife them without fear of losing it to dodge immunity. A lot of people use shard on tab instead because you get to place it directly on someone's head which prones them and then when they get up you can run it into them again when they get up for another prone. I don't have the latency to be comfortable doing it though, try it see what happens. It might be amazing. For the other powers I suggest entangling force because of the 30% debuff and because it lasts longer than chill strike, ray of enfeeblement to further debuff people and then repel partially to push people off points but mostly to make them gently caress off if they come near me. If you follow the build and gear suggestions I made you absolutely do not have the hp to tank anything. You can build to 35k hp on a wizard using stuff like the arm piece from pirate king (thick gristle?) making you more tanky and increasing the benefits of regen but I'm going to assume you haven't. I certainly haven't.

So generally don't be on points unless capping. Just push people off and then cc them when they are off the point. Try to stay near friendly players because there is a good chance you will get squished in a 1v1. If you come across a gwf its probably a bad idea to fight them because they can stunlock kill you because they are the control and damage and tank and self healing class in pvp. That said if you have to dodge them when they are big and then apply debuffs before going for a icy ray and ice knife combo. They can't dodge icy knife so just let it go. On the other hand rogues can. If you end up fighting them 2 things will happen one after the other. First they will stealth so you need to back off or eat their lashing blade encounter (big spike damage). I suggest you start hopping away from them, lashing blade apparently has not great hit detection so if you are hopping there is a not inconsiderable chance it will miss, people got pissy about it on the official forums anyway. If you can afford not to dodge or are out of dodges that is. When stealth ends they expect you to attempt a cc, maybe throw them an entange for the sake of it. At that point they will hit impossible to catch which makes them immune to control and damage, yay. They turn purple when it happens. So back off and don't waste your powers on it. By the times it ends they have probably had like 15 seconds of god mode to try and kill you. The only way you aren't dead with your small health pool and limited defensive stats is if you kept your distance. If you aren't dead its time to throw everything at them, entangle repel, ray of enfeeble, icy rays in that order to keep them in place and make them eat the damage. TRs can use their roll to dodge ice knife so make sure they are entangled or rooted before using it. Guardian Fighters are more straightforward, if their shield is up use at wills until you see their shield bar drain. Then throw everything. Don't let them close the distance at all or you get stunlocked by a fat midget. They also can't dodge ice knife but they can block it.

If you have an ioun stone companion and you know you are going to pvp with this not exactly optimal pvp build I suggest you keep your crit/power enchants on the ioun stone and your armour pen enchants in your rings or whatever, should follow this advice myself. Gwfs and gfs wander around with like 40-50% mitigation and a lot of hp so you will get way more bang for your buck with the armour pen. Until tenacity comes out which will make them even more tanky and decrease the benefits of armour pen.

Armour pen bugs

Took this from the official forums.

GWF:
arm pen does not seem to affect flourish or avalanche of steel

TR:
does not benefit deft strike on tr

DC:
does not benefit searing light, flame strike, sacred flame, break the spirit, sunburst, chains of blazing light, guardian of faith, blessing of battle, lance of faith, punishing light

CW:
last 2 hits on magic missile, chill strike, coi, storm spell (may be based on whether or not the encounter that procced it benefited from armor pen), oppressive force, icy terrain, sudden storm (normal+mastery+dot in mastery), icy rays, ice knife

Well now you know what armour pen doesn't work for and why the mitigation reduction on conduit is really good. The debuffs and buffs from the rest of the feats work and don't really have poo poo to with mitigation.

Lastly this isn't really a build thing but I suggest building up your friends list. Enough goons or goons who want to do the same dungeon may not be online. So you get pugs, anyone who is pleasant and competent should be added to your friends list. You get together a decent friends list and your blood pressure will thank you. Take this as the most sincere advice from someone who has hard carried retards through castle never and the dracolich fight (the hardest in the game by some distance) and watched them need on the drop everyone had agreed to greed on. Like 2 and a half hours of strenuous effort down the drain for nothing. Doing the same thing with good people takes like 30-40 minutes depending on the amount they stop to talk.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 27, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What would you recommend for the higher-end boons, Goofballs?

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
DataTables warning (table id = 'tasklist'): Requested unknown parameter '5' from the data source for row 0

This error popped up today, Subjunctive. Any ideas? Need logs?

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

Cyntalan posted:

DataTables warning (table id = 'tasklist'): Requested unknown parameter '5' from the data source for row 0

yeah I've been getting that same message.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The one that gives you power for killing from sharandar and the one that gives you power from dread ring. The lifesteal one might be worth it if you have significant quantities of lifesteal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011

Cyntalan posted:

Actually, it looks to be a Gateway problem. Doing it manually does the same thing when you first attempt to load the task list.

• Locked thread