Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The show is a violent drama with heavy psychological, philosophical, sexual and political themes. The zombies are manifestations of social, psychological, and sexual alienation. If you are watching the looking for a fictitious documentary on zombie plagues than you are going to be disappointed yeah.

You would not watch Hamlet as a documentary on Middle age Viking supernatural phenomena.

This is why the show goes through great lengths to not call them zombies and never explain them. They aren't the point. The whole reveal that all humans are carriers just highlights the fact that the zombies are humans, just alienated from the pov characters' perspective. Which makes the violence even more horrofic.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

euphronius posted:

It's not a documentary. How does the ghost in Hamlet work? It makes no sense. Horrible play.

Hamlet is a witch doctor. Need I remind you of his interest in skulls?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am sorry for sperging out over TWD. It is one of my favorite shows.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Buddington posted:

There's been literally nothing to indicate he's anything more than an alcoholic and it's surprising to me how often people post speculation about how he's going to secretly just up and kill some people.

Aside from that he's a double-lone survivor of two massacred groups, an alcoholic, a liar, has a secret box and medical training, and no animals were getting tortured to death before Bob showed up - Yes, literally nothing indicates television shorthand for "this character is a serial killer."

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

euphronius posted:

u motherfukcer

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Sorry if it has been addressed but this thread moves so fast...but I am wondering why is it that when Michonne chops the arms and teeth off the zombies they turn into subdued pets? I would think that the virus in their brains would make them still want to feed despite not being able to physically do so. Was there ever explanation for that or is it just one of those things you shrug off and say I dunno to?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

euphronius posted:

Cooorrrllllle

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shath Hole posted:

oWas there ever explanation for that or is it just one of those things you shrug off and say I dunno to?

Milton was trying to figure out why that works, so it's an established quirk of TWD zombies, but they haven't established any mechanism for why it makes them docile.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Their teeth really hurt and they're peaceful without them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Surlaw posted:

Their teeth really hurt and they're peaceful without them.

They do likely have a ton of cavities, zombie dental hygiene isn't what it used to be.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Shath Hole posted:

Sorry if it has been addressed but this thread moves so fast...but I am wondering why is it that when Michonne chops the arms and teeth off the zombies they turn into subdued pets? I would think that the virus in their brains would make them still want to feed despite not being able to physically do so. Was there ever explanation for that or is it just one of those things you shrug off and say I dunno to?

There's no explanation to it, other than it would be a bad rear end thing for Michonne to do -- so why not.
There have been plenty of zombies missing body parts/entire jaws that were still hostile. If there was any kind of 'logical' explanation, I think it would just be that the combination of completely disarming a zombie and also guiding them with a leash triggers a low-level submission/docile response. In the same way many animals can be 'broken', and like animals they tend to heard together and lower their vigilance when in the safety of groups.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turning men into eunuchs usually makes them much more docile and not a threat.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
if the answer to "does it looking loving rad" is yes than it is likely ending up in the walking dead

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Did you guys never watch Rudolph? Yukon Cornelius established pretty well that removing something's teeth negates its aggression.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Baldbeard posted:

There have been plenty of zombies missing body parts/entire jaws that were still hostile. If there was any kind of 'logical' explanation, I think it would just be that the combination of completely disarming a zombie and also guiding them with a leash triggers a low-level submission/docile response. In the same way many animals can be 'broken', and like animals they tend to heard together and lower their vigilance when in the safety of groups.

I guess that is what is throwing me, it just doesn't match up but zombie apocalypse show and what not...

The animal thing would make sense, they have brains, these zombies in all reality have no ability to think or feel they just want braaaaains! Oh well, I was just curious if it was ever explained which it sounds like it wasn't outside of Milton scratching the surface.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
When and where do zombies poop? What's supposed to happen to their food after they eat it?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Always, everywhere. It's like in The Ghost Busters when you see Slimer eat.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

There obviously had to be babies when this poo poo hit the fan, where the gently caress are the zombie babies? I want to see some little undead baby crawling towards some unsuspecting victim!

I demand zombie babies :colbert:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Shath Hole posted:

There obviously had to be babies when this poo poo hit the fan, where the gently caress are the zombie babies? I want to see some little undead baby crawling towards some unsuspecting victim!

I demand zombie babies :colbert:

They got eat

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Would be cool tho

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Babies are immune but stop aging so they don't make it very far.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
Have we ever seen an aggressive zombie that was missing its jaw and both its arms? I can't remember.

Penny was missing just her teeth and she seemed to go in and out of states of calm, then back to bitey bitey. Maybe if the Guv had cut off her arms too she would have been perfectly peaceful.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I don't know if we have seen a natural zombie with both it's arms and jaw gone, probably not. Honestly though, I don't think the writers put that much thought into maintaining 'zombie behavior'. I mean, in this last episode the zombies were kind of lethargically filing into the prison even though there were 1000 pounds of horse meat laying right there on the ground.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Grin and Tonic posted:

Milton's studying of whether zombies retain any memory was really interesting and could have been cool but TWD did gently caress all with it (and hasn't there been instances of zombies sort of returning to places they frequented alive, like Morgan's wife?), but it's a slippery slope. Handled well there could be a lot of possibilities with that, but I could understand the writers not wanting to open up that loving pandora's box and having people question fictional monsters motives and all that even more than they do now, so gently caress it let's kill some zombies.

The problem is that I do not believe TWD had a written or unwritten cannon of what zombies were in the TWD universe when the show started. Instead zombies and the characters had been defined by the shows themselves, which has created all sorts of internal contradictions. When these contradictions are brought to light it destroys the very premise of TWD universe - that it is it's own universe with it's own set of rules; even if the rules are fantasy, they should, at the very least be consistent.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

Baldbeard posted:

I mean, in this last episode the zombies were kind of lethargically filing into the prison even though there were 1000 pounds of horse meat laying right there on the ground.

I think that's because zombies don't have as good a sense of smell as we think and are more attracted to noise and movement. In Season 3 when they were trying to take the prison, Beth and the others were supposed to get the zombies to come to the fence, away from Rick. That worked for awhile, but then there was a moment where a zombie turned away from the tasty human standing a few feet in front of him and started walking towards the prison where there was more action.

As well at the end of Season 2, the zombies in Atlanta left the deer they were eating because the helicopter in the sky was more interesting.

I think for the most part they just go for whatever's moving/making noise and if it happens to be something they can pull apart, then yay food! Then if there's enough of it and no other distractions they'll be occupied and keep feeding until they burst.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Tin Miss posted:

I think that's because zombies don't have as good a sense of smell as we think and are more attracted to noise and movement. In Season 3 when they were trying to take the prison, Beth and the others were supposed to get the zombies to come to the fence, away from Rick. That worked for awhile, but then there was a moment where a zombie turned away from the tasty human standing a few feet in front of him and started walking towards the prison where there was more action.

As well at the end of Season 2, the zombies in Atlanta left the deer they were eating because the helicopter in the sky was more interesting.

I think for the most part they just go for whatever's moving/making noise and if it happens to be something they can pull apart, then yay food! Then if there's enough of it and no other distractions they'll be occupied and keep feeding until they burst.

Well, some zombies killed the drat horse and opened it up. It's like there's no consistency on how they feed. Sometimes they pick the bones clean, sometimes they simply kill and move on (think of the regular dead people lying around), other times they actually eat each other (hung zombie with his feet picked clean). I'm not complaining, it is how it is, but there's definitely no general rules that are followed other than the fact that zombies are kind of magic and do what they need to to push the plot forward.

99% of the time zombies focus on getting to the easiest most abundant source of food, unless a hero is around, then of course they move with a purpose to assassinate said hero.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 13, 2014

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Baldbeard posted:

other times they actually eat each other (hung zombie with his feet picked clean).

They ate his legs before he turned. He likely botched hanging hanging himself and was alive but unconscious.

Zombies stop eating when the victim dies or turns, which takes variable amounts of time from victim to victim.

The zombies have been shown to eat other animals, such as Daryl's deer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ravane posted:

Edit: Also, apparently Michonne's zombie was one of the governer's men.

Yeah, that was mentioned on talking dead but it doesnt really make much sense. I assume last week's episode takes place at most 24 hours after the mid-season finale so he decayed really goddamn fast.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Milton not being around for this last half season is probably one of the saddest long term effects of how lovely Season 3 was. He also could have died during the prison assault and made the main cast of TWD look a little more expendable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

Yeah I've never gotten the "Carol is so oooooooold" thing. She looks younger than many women I know who aren't even 40 yet.

But holy crap I had no idea Beth's actress was a decade older than her character.

I know everyone says Norman Reedus looks much younger than he is, which is true, but considering Merle's apparent age (50-ish) I've always assumed Daryl is around 40-ish.

I don't have a lot to support this but I've always read the Merle/Daryl relationship as Merle being much older and not being around when Daryl a kid. I think Merle not knowing their dad abused Daryl kind of supported that a bit. If we think back to the Andrea/Amy relationship early I believe Andrea mentioned that Amy wasn't born until Andrea was in college so they weren't always close and were trying to bond when all this happened. I always kind of thought Merle/Daryl was a bit of a mirror on that relationship with a much uglier interpretation/abusive relationship in its own right.

I definitely never read Daryl as anywhere near 46. At the start of the show based on his appearance and maturity I wouldn't have put him as much older than Glenn and would have put him as a bit younger than Rick and Shane. Although that could come down social status/maturation. I'd also put Carol at around the same age as Lori and Andrea, just with grey hair and probably made to look older because of her hard life.

And just for the sake of argument its probably worth saying that 18 in a Zombie Apocalypse is probably emotionally a little older in real world aging. Beth probably grew up faster just like Carl has been forced to. Hooking up with Daryl would still be a little creepy but options are kind of limited and a lot of the ideas of age (life expectancy; world experience; maturation) seem kind of leveled off.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, that was mentioned on talking dead but it doesnt really make much sense. I assume last week's episode takes place at most 24 hours after the mid-season finale so he decayed really goddamn fast.

Both of those Zs were still rather light in the makeup. We know from Merle that there are some changes that are immediate. Seemed right to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I wonder if standards demand enough makeup for actors to be obviously non-human characters before you can mutilate them on television.

Alien and monster blood and gore often gets depicted to a degree that would be problematic showing on "normal" looking victim.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

moths posted:

I wonder if standards demand enough makeup for actors to be obviously non-human characters before you can mutilate them on television.

Alien and monster blood and gore often gets depicted to a degree that would be problematic showing on "normal" looking victim.

Oh yeah. This was apparently why they had to make a few minutes of kill bill vol 1 black and white

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time Kirkman says "Stop liking Daryl or I'll kill him off!" I want to slap him because I know he's not kidding. Get him away from the show.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

precision posted:

Every time Kirkman says "Stop liking Daryl or I'll kill him off!" I want to slap him because I know he's not kidding. Get him away from the show.

quote:

"I get a lot of hate mail every time I kill any character in the comic, which always aggravates me," said Kirkman when asked whether any "Dead" characters should be untouchable. "Specifically about the Daryl thing — that fan reaction's going to get him killed, because I feel like it's a dare. I'm like, 'Oh really, really? You're going to riot? All right, we'll see.' No one is safe."

This is the guy leading the shows charge. Someone who would kill a character just so he can say neener-neener-neener to the fans.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

This is the guy leading the shows charge. Someone who would kill a character just so he can say neener-neener-neener to the fans.

I like Deryl as much as anybody but if you're thinking like this you've already lost.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Kibayasu posted:

I like Deryl as much as anybody but if you're thinking like this you've already lost.

I wonder if its the fact that the fan favorite is a character not from his book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Develop characters? gently caress that, just kill them.

He must be a big fan of GRRM.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dienes posted:

The zombies have been shown to eat other animals, such as Daryl's deer

And rats. There was one in the sewers eating rats in season 1 and then the fence walkers with whoever was feeding them. The main target seems to be blood/live meat, there was two guard-looking walkers where Rick and Shane took Randall who were baited to the fence when Rick cut his hand and smeared blood on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kirkman's pretending to hold all the characters hostage is double-funny because he writes obviously invincible pet characters in the comics.

• Locked thread