Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The Spanish team arrived and happily said "it's better than home. No donkeys in my apartment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Is there anything on this planet that people won't go all SJW about
Photoshop brushes.

I hope.

Please don't correct me on this. :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wooten posted:

A close friend of mine gave me a talking down this morning for making fun of Sochi. "You can't make fun of what's happening over there without also making fun of the people that are suffering. #Sochiproblems is just showing the world what a bunch of rear end in a top hat elitists Americans are. You should be ashamed", he said to me.

Then he linked me to this terrible article.

To which I replied, "I think dog has gotten into your tarp comrade. Have some wodka and relax."

Yeah really, gently caress off with your "tap water that won't cause cancer on contact" and "staying in fully constructed buildings" first world problems.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wooten posted:

A close friend of mine gave me a talking down this morning for making fun of Sochi. "You can't make fun of what's happening over there without also making fun of the people that are suffering. #Sochiproblems is just showing the world what a bunch of rear end in a top hat elitists Americans are. You should be ashamed", he said to me.

To which I replied, "I think dog has gotten into your tarp comrade. Have some wodka and relax."

Please tell you're friend they're an idiot and to shut up.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Wooten posted:

Look they're doing their best, they've only had 7 years to prepare for this two week event, you can't possibly expect them to have clean running water.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
Even curling is dangerous in Sochi

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The French team arrived and said "it's cool. We weren't going to shower anyway"

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

A reminder that this happened during the opening ceremony.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can't wait for the Eurosport Watts compilation

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

you irl posted:

Look they're doing their best, they've only had 7 years and spent $50 billion dollars to prepare for this two week event, you can't possibly expect them to have clean running water.

FTFY.

Seriously, think of where that $50 billion dollars in Russia could have been spent other than graft.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
That old guy was gonna have a heart attack anyway, remember that study about vodka and people dying in Russia?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Young Freud posted:

FTFY.

Seriously, think of where that $50 billion dollars in Russia could have been spent other than graft.

About 937.5 million liters of fancy vodka.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Young Freud posted:

FTFY.

More graft, DUH. In Russia everything must benefit Putin's fund.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Agrajag posted:

More graft, DUH. In Russia everything must benefit Putin's fund.

Russia = Tropico.

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
It seems like the Olympics now are a good excuse to: #1 launder money from public funds into the hands of political allies, and #2 run poor people off of their land while distracting the entire world with bread and circuses, except the bread costs quadruple what it normally does and the circus is falling apart before the show even starts

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

mcvey posted:

I think my local Junior team could hang a few on Slovenia as long as Zombitar doesn't play 60 minutes.

are you thinking of slovakia?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Thora posted:

A reminder that this happened during the opening ceremony.

Eh, that's normal. The guy who tripped is the Austrian ice hockey team's Finnish coach, Alpo Suhonen. Finnish coaches just are prone to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjpYaBZVyro

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

al michaels still owns

https://vine.co/v/M7qduW2H9Bx

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Chacmool posted:

are you thinking of slovakia?

...no?

Slovakia is considerably better than Slovenia.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Wooten posted:

Russia = Tropico.

Gooood mooorning, El Tyrante!

In other news, Al Roker is one cool motherfoker.

FASHION

more wipeouts for people like me;

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 13, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

King of Hamas posted:

It seems like the Olympics now are a good excuse to: #1 launder money from public funds into the hands of political allies, and #2 run poor people off of their land while distracting the entire world with bread and circuses, except the bread costs quadruple what it normally does and the circus is falling apart before the show even starts

I wondering for how long this is going to go on, because you'll either eventually you'll get something where no one wants attends because it's so much of a goddamn death trap or the locals are too corrupt or repressive dicks. Or, you get where sensible governments just balk at the cost of the games and realize the prestige is gained from them is not cost effective, so you have no choice but to go to lovely dictatorships, which just goes back to the first point.

I mean, how long until we start talking about the Pyongyang Olympics? Would anyone want to attend that an Olympics in Tehran? What's going to be the breaking point were no one wants to hold them and no one wants to attend them?

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

mcvey posted:

...no?

Slovakia is considerably better than Slovenia.

I feel so loving stupid right now its not even funny. I forgot about Kopitar and thought you were talking about Zdeno. Im gonna go kill myself.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I mean, how long until we start talking about the Pyongyang Olympics? Would anyone want to attend that an Olympics in Tehran?

Attend, no.

Watch, holy gently caress yes.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Chacmool posted:

I feel so loving stupid right now its not even funny. I forgot about Kopitar and thought you were talking about Zdeno. Im gonna go kill myself.

I mean it's understandable, they're both hockey playing monsters. One was just made by Frankenstein, the other by voodoo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

King of Hamas posted:

Vancouver Olympics were pretty cool :( and I live here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Young Freud posted:

I wondering for how long this is going to go on, because you'll either eventually you'll get something where no one wants attends because it's so much of a goddamn death trap or the locals are too corrupt or repressive dicks. Or, you get where sensible governments just balk at the cost of the games and realize the prestige is gained from them is not cost effective, so you have no choice but to go to lovely dictatorships, which just goes back to the first point.

I mean, how long until we start talking about the Pyongyang Olympics? Would anyone want to attend that an Olympics in Tehran? What's going to be the breaking point were no one wants to hold them and no one wants to attend them?

Who cares about this argument don't have a sociopolitical debate in the area where people can make fun of Russians for being suicidal alcoholics.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

geebus christ this slovenia vs russia is brutal. Is Russia all NHL and Slovenia amateur?

Russia is a hockey powerhouse and Slovenia mostly plays chess and has like four people. And yes, Russia is all NHL/KHL players and Slovenia is all amateur.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you want to argue about the corruption in organized worldwide sports take it to D&D because I don't give a gently caress.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Wooten posted:

Russia = Tropico.

is good to be el presidente

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Paradox Personified posted:

Gooood mooorning, El Tyrante!

In other news, Al Roker is one cool motherfoker.

leave al alone he doesnt know anything about the nuclear missile codes! :gonk:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

team canada kind of sucks.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

leave al alone he doesnt know anything about the nuclear missile codes! :gonk:

Not the face water! NOT THE FACE WATER ARRGGHH IT BURNS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

queeb posted:

babcock's chin is the problem here

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

queeb posted:

Canada played Norway in their first game in Vancouver and it was 0-0 after the 1st as well.

Canada won the game 8-0.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

no such thing

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

queeb posted:

You were saying?

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Literally any olympic hockey game Canada's playing, no matter how unimportant, is treated as incredibly important here.

Currently watching the game in a pub and people here are losing their goddamn minds with every goal

Old Story fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 13, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The office building management has set up a TV and chairs in the lobby; there's about 25 people sitting there at any given time. The government building next door has projectors showing different events on the walls in the food court, the place is packed all day.

What's that, Canadian public, you expected poo poo to get done? :fuckoff:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
If you aren't watching Team Canada streaming at work you are unpatriotic and should have your citizenship revoked, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Ohhhhh! It's on now! 2-1 Canada.

• Locked thread