Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

Even in Arizona? Sure, a good chunk of people turn up the temperature when they're gone during the day, but nobody wants to come back to a 110 F house when they get back from work during the summer.

Running the A/C all day is way too expensive for a tiny bit of additional comfort when you walk through the door after being gone for 9+ hours. Maybe the richer suburbanites can afford that, but most people don't run it while they're gone. But they do run the A/C throughout the night, because it's hard to sleep in a hot room

I grew up in Arizona, it's what everyone did. I'm sure that peak average grid usage is during the day, but in domiciles it's a different story

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The cost of renewables isn't that high on paper. The problem is that renewable output isn't controllable and fluctuates. This is a very big deal in so far as load balancing on the grid goes, and results in exponential increase in cost impact with increase in renewable penetration: http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/voices/michael-shellenberger-and-ted-nordhaus/no-solar-way-around-it/

quote:

analysis by the Clean Air Task Force suggest that integration costs for solar and wind are likely to surge dramatically should renewables rise much above 20 or 30 percent of total electrical generation (see graph below).

(rehosted)

Costs of adding intermittent generation are likely to scale super-linearly with penetration, creating a deployment barrier. Some examples (various bases) in the figure: “Wind A” is the marginal cost per MWh of wind in ERCOT relative to the same index at 0% wind penetration. “Wind B” is the reciprocal of total system wind capacity factor in CAISO relative to 0% wind penetration (an indicator relative total system construction cost).“Wind C” is the number of annual CCGT start-ups in Ireland relative to 0% wind penetration (a proxy for system-wide O&M costs and emissions due to cycling).“PV” is the marginal cost per MWh of PV in ERCOT relative to the same index at 0% PV penetration. “RE Bundle” is the relative size of the US bulk transmission system (million MW-miles) due to bundled renewables (roughly ½ wind+solar) relative to 0% penetration.

Sources: CATF from Denholm & Hand, 2011 (Wind A); Hart et al, 2012 (Wind B); Troy et al, 2010 (Wind C); Denholm & Margolis, 2006 (PV); NREL, 2012 (RE Bundle).

Yes, you can predict the weather and plan ahead, but planning ahead still means you will need all the extra grid facilities in order to control the load from renewables. Smart, efficient, load-balancing systems aren't cheap by any means; The intermittent storage tech is limited to expensive batteries that require their own set of controls or to big inefficient heat storage systems, and those systems require secondary and even tertiary load-levelling buffers like fast-response supercapacitors or lead-acid batteries. You need to have systems capable of dealing with excess electricity, and systems in place that will ensure the grid doesn't suffer a brownout if there is not enough electricity. All of this stuff becomes increasingly complex as renewables penetrate into the grid, and just like in the case of nuclear regulations, the more complex it gets, the more time and money is required to build it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Am I the only one who finds these types of articles and press releases incredibly misleading?

Sustainable nuclear fusion breakthrough raises hopes for ultimate green energy

Social media goes bananas, ignoring the fact it took 2 megajoules to generate 17 kilojoules.

They've announced they know how to do fusion now, which is heartening since the entire point of the NIF was the base assumption that scientists knew how to do fusion. I have absolutely no hope that laser-ignited fusion could ever be a net generator of energy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I could have sworn we had the whole "[raw] output has exceeded ignition energy [but not even close to what we actually put in because our process is laughably inefficient]!" thing months ago.

Before that, I was under the impression that nobody seriously considers this reactor design to have potential for power generation because it can't be scaled up and there's no way to insert fuel/remove waste without turning it off. :crossarms:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I could have sworn we had the whole "[raw] output has exceeded ignition energy [but not even close to what we actually put in because our process is laughably inefficient]!" thing months ago.

Before that, I was under the impression that nobody seriously considers this reactor design to have potential for power generation because it can't be scaled up and there's no way to insert fuel/remove waste without turning it off. :crossarms:

Every so often they'll hit the kind of milestone that sounds great until you look into it and realize they're getting a 0.85% return on energy invested. As much as I shake my head at people pushing solar/wind as a combo that'll solve all the world's problems by themselves, I am baffled as to how people can expect to go from 1% to over 100% return of energy within the next 100 years.

Just as renewables need a massive technological breakthrough in cheap energy storage, fusion needs a massive technological breakthrough in generating intense stable gravitational wells before we can finally talk about replicating the sun's process. Using lasers to generate the pressure necessary has prohibitive energy costs, and I can't believe the targets utilized will be able to maintain the pressure needed as energy rises to sustain the reaction without consistent input from the lasers that will far outweigh the output.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
Other than political reasons why is so much being invested in fusion over something far more practical like thorium? Why not refine nuclear technology we know works vs much harder and potentially impossible goal of practical fusion?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fusion is fundamental physics and weapons research; thorium is an engineering problem.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's entirely a lesson in political branding in the US.

Fusion evokes images of green energy, no waste, unlimited energy from water, good technology. The left gets warm fuzzies from investing in fusion, and the right gets home-district pork that isn't going to poor people.

Fission evokes bombs, waste, chernobyl, fukushima, words that end in "-ium", radiation, etc. The left hates everything to do with nuclear and so completely ignore the zero-carbon emissions baseload aspect, instead generating a false equivalency that the radioactive waste generated is as environmentally damaging as coal/natural gas pollution. The right likes nuclear power in a general sense, but can't push it too much without kinda pointing its green which kinda points out how much coal/oil/natural gas pollute. They don't want to do that.

Practicality and science have little room in politics since they don't profit the politicians as well as the status quo.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

I could have sworn we had the whole "[raw] output has exceeded ignition energy [but not even close to what we actually put in because our process is laughably inefficient]!" thing months ago. Before that, I was under the impression that nobody seriously considers this reactor design to have potential for power generation because it can't be scaled up and there's no way to insert fuel/remove waste without turning it off. :crossarms:

They're making real progress in fusion, and they're able to generate fusion reactions that are energy positive, but they're having problems delivering energy efficiently to the fusion reaction (since it activates and expands) and being able to maintain the reaction. As such you have an energy positive fusion reaction, but an energy negative fusion system. They're getting closer, but they still don't think that they have the fundamental understandings needed to create the system. As such they're still effectively conducting physics research, rather than design engineering. On the flip side, this kind of breakthrough is quite exciting, as it means that they're beginning to have an understanding of what an energy positive reaction looks like, and what forces are at play when it occurs. I don't think it's time for doom and gloom. If they (or one of the several other teams working on parallel solutions) can turn this into a purely engineering problem, then that'll be quite an accomplishment.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The primary problem is that they essentially need what today would be considered magic to make fusion work as an energy producer. Cheap heat isn't the problem, it's cheap pressure to confine the fuel. The entire premise of fusion is recreating the sun, and we simply can't create the gravity well required to keep a fusion reaction self-sustaining like fission reactions are.

Calling fusion a physics problem is calling the ability for humans to flap their arms and fly a biology problem.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I have a possibly stupid question about geothermal: could it potentially prevent volcanic eruptions?

As I understand it volcanoes are a massive source of carbon emissions (amid other obvious problems). They also occur where the earth's crust is the thinnest, which is precisely where it's easiest to drill geothermal energy wells.

Could a reasonable number of geothermal wells over a reasonably long period of time pull enough energy out of a hotspot to prevent (or reduce) the impact of a volcano? Are they even comparable in terms of orders of magnitude?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Could we then build 40k hives over these geothermal vents?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I have a possibly stupid question about geothermal: could it potentially prevent volcanic eruptions?

As I understand it volcanoes are a massive source of carbon emissions (amid other obvious problems). They also occur where the earth's crust is the thinnest, which is precisely where it's easiest to drill geothermal energy wells.

Could a reasonable number of geothermal wells over a reasonably long period of time pull enough energy out of a hotspot to prevent (or reduce) the impact of a volcano? Are they even comparable in terms of orders of magnitude?

I sincerely doubt it. Some volcanic eruptions are triggered by earthquakes, which geothermal would have no effect with. Besides that, I think the energy in volcanic eruptions is many many orders of magnitude larger than geothermal pulls out from. There's also a lot more potentially active volcanoes than there are viable geothermal sites. You wouldn't just try to install a lot of infrastructure on Pinatubo, for instance.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Pander posted:

I sincerely doubt it. Some volcanic eruptions are triggered by earthquakes, which geothermal would have no effect with. Besides that, I think the energy in volcanic eruptions is many many orders of magnitude larger than geothermal pulls out from. There's also a lot more potentially active volcanoes than there are viable geothermal sites. You wouldn't just try to install a lot of infrastructure on Pinatubo, for instance.
There are a few confounding things about the whole idea. Volcanoes are quite rare, so the relevant comparison might be something like "hundreds of wells operating for decades" vs a single eruption. On such a low frequency, it would also be very hard to measure if we were even succeeding.

Earthquakes can trigger volcanic eruptions, but only in places where the earth's crust is particularly thin and vulnerable. Drilling into/near the magma and cooling the rocks on those very spots would strengthen them a bit.

But perhaps most of the damage from a volcano isn't in the energy of the eruption so much as the amount of ash it kicks up into the atmosphere. It's kind of like a big dirty bomb -- the explosion isn't the real problem. So maybe the amount of energy involved isn't as big as I thought.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

These are actually the same results, but this time the results have been published. It's just as deceiving and unexciting as it was last time

Baronjutter posted:

Other than political reasons why is so much being invested in fusion over something far more practical like thorium? Why not refine nuclear technology we know works vs much harder and potentially impossible goal of practical fusion?

The NIF gets a lot of their money from the DOD

Pander posted:

Calling fusion a physics problem is calling the ability for humans to flap their arms and fly a biology problem.

Uh, no, it's not at all like that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Uh, no, it's not at all like that.

Why not? Give us enough time with genetic manipulation and we'll get our drat bat wings within 100 years.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I would guess that you could find a number of well respected physicists who think that Fusion power is a tractable problem. I would guess the number of biologists who think leathery bat wings is the future of mankind is much smaller.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dusseldorf posted:

I would guess that you could find a number of well respected physicists who think that Fusion power is a tractable problem.

*Fusion*, sure. Fusion's trivial. You can build a Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor without a lot of trouble at all. Real actual fusion.

The number of well-respected physicists who think that commercial fusion power, *especially* commercial ICF fusion power, who don't have a vested interest in keeping the grant money coming is probably around the bat-wing number.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Pander posted:

Why not? Give us enough time with genetic manipulation and we'll get our drat bat wings within 100 years.

Maybe if you also hollow out our bones and striate our muscles. No way something with our weight takes off from a standing start with flapping.

Anyway not all fusion research is like Tokamak or NIF. Lawrenceville Plasma Physics is working with the Dense Plasma Focus, which directly generates electricity from fusion with no huge magnetic confinement apparatus and no steam turbine cycle. In 2012 they generated the 1.8 Billion degree temperatures necessary to ignite pb11 fuel, shattering previous DPF records.

This is legit research with well-understood, existing technology.

^^^^^
edit: Oh, you mean the Polywell. The Navy is currently working on this. The Iranians too. Iran has some of the world's most advanced and well funded fusion research.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 14, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

amanasleep posted:

In 2012 they generated the 1.8 Billion degree temperatures necessary to ignite pb11 fuel, shattering previous DPF records.

The problem is that it doesn't look like pb11 fusion can actually generate net energy. This MIT paper is well-known and fairly devastating to such fusion schemes:

quote:

Although there have been a few proposals for fusion reactors employing plasmas far out of thermodynamic equilibrium (such as migma and inertial-electrostatic confinement), there has never been a broad, systematic study of the entire possible range of such devices. This research fills that gap by deriving fundamental power limitations which apply to virtually any possible type of fusion reactor that uses a grossly nonequilibrium plasma. Two main categories of nonequilibrium plasmas are considered: (1) systems in which the electrons and/or fuel ions possess a significantly non-Maxwellian velocity distribution, and (2) systems in which at least two particle species, such as electrons and ions or two different species of fuel ions, are at radically different mean energies. These types of plasmas would be of particular interest for overcoming bremsstrahlung radiation losses from advanced aneutronic fuels (e.g. ^3He-^3He, p-^{11}B, and p- ^6Li) or for reducing the number of D-D side reactions in D-^3He plasmas. Analytical Fokker-Planck calculations are used to determine accurately the minimum recirculating power that must be extracted from undesirable regions of the plasma's phase space and reinjected into the proper regions of the phase space in order to counteract the effects of collisional scattering events and keep the plasma out of equilibrium. In virtually all cases, this minimum recirculating power is substantially larger than the fusion power, so barring the discovery of methods for recirculating the power at exceedingly high efficiencies, reactors employing plasmas not in thermodynamic equilibrium will not be able to produce net power. Consequently, the advanced aneutronic fuels cannot generate net power in any foreseeable reactor operating either in or out of equilibrium.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Since I'm dumb that is basically confirming that under currently known circumstances, aneutronic fusion cannot create net energy, right? That's a shame, but interesting.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Phanatic posted:

The problem is that it doesn't look like pb11 fusion can actually generate net energy. This MIT paper is well-known and fairly devastating to such fusion schemes:

That 1995 paper is a bit behind the times. This 2013 paper in the Journal of Fusion Energy summarizes the recent advances for pB11 specifically when used in the DPF.

quote:

In this article we studied the feasibility of proton-boron (p11B) fusion in plasmoids produced by plasma pinch devices like plasma focus facility as commercially sources of energy. In plasmoids fusion power for 76 keV < Ti < 1,500 keV exceeds bremsstrahlung loss (W/Pb = 5.39). In such situation gain factor and the ratio of Te to Ti for a typical 150 kJ plasma focus will be 7.8 and 4.8 respectively. Also with considering the ion viscous heating effect W/Pb and Ti/Te will be 2.7 and 6 respectively. Strong magnetic field will reduces ion–electron collision rate due to quantization of electron orbits. While approximately there is no change in electron–ion collision rate, The effect of quantum magnetic field makes ions much hotter than electrons which enhances the fraction of fusion power to bremsstrahlung loss.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pander posted:

The primary problem is that they essentially need what today would be considered magic to make fusion work as an energy producer. Cheap heat isn't the problem, it's cheap pressure to confine the fuel. The entire premise of fusion is recreating the sun, and we simply can't create the gravity well required to keep a fusion reaction self-sustaining like fission reactions are. Calling fusion a physics problem is calling the ability for humans to flap their arms and fly a biology problem.

FYI the study that we're talking about uses laser focusing rather than artificial gravity wells to keep the reaction self-sustaining. There's a bunch of different ideas about how to do it. I think that it's a surety that we'll eventually figure it out, whereas a winged human is physically impossible (because of weight) unless you radically change that nature of what a human is. I don't think that you're really giving fusion scientists a fair shake here.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kaal posted:

FYI the study that we're talking about uses laser focusing rather than artificial gravity wells to keep the reaction self-sustaining. There's a bunch of different ideas about how to do it. I think that it's a surety that we'll eventually figure it out, whereas a winged human is physically impossible (because of weight) unless you radically change that nature of what a human is. I don't think that you're really giving fusion scientists a fair shake here.

I've known too many fusion scientists. My U of Illinois fusion professor insisted there'd be a fusion reactor on Mars within 30 years in 2008. There were other fusion professors looking at interesting stuff (interesting semi-conductor development), but power generation via fusion at this particular juncture isn't a good focus for the public imagination. Selling "breakthroughs" when it's decades upon decades away when we have pressing energy problems right now is asinine and done entirely for PR/grants.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Pander posted:

I've known too many fusion scientists. My U of Illinois fusion professor insisted there'd be a fusion reactor on Mars within 30 years in 2008. There were other fusion professors looking at interesting stuff (interesting semi-conductor development), but power generation via fusion at this particular juncture isn't a good focus for the public imagination. Selling "breakthroughs" when it's decades upon decades away when we have pressing energy problems right now is asinine and done entirely for PR/grants.

I think this is true of main line Tokamak/NIF/ITER efforts. They have huge funding and poor results over decades of work. Of the alternative approaches, almost none have any significant funding (many for good reason). Still, I think it's a bit much to claim that fusion research is a waste of resources compared to expenditures on other energy solutions. Fusion power in general is not a part of the public imagination, so I don't think there is any danger that somehow people are going to get sidetracked from whatever priorities you think they should have.

To be clear, I am not opposed to nuclear research and power development in a properly regulated environment. But I think a few fusion approaches have merit and I am convinced that there is nothing theoretically infeasible about fusion power development within the same time horizon of other alternative energy proposals.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pander posted:

Isn't the lack of PR/grants the only real thing that halted Thorium for 50 years?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

amanasleep posted:

I think this is true of main line Tokamak/NIF/ITER efforts. They have huge funding and poor results over decades of work. Of the alternative approaches, almost none have any significant funding (many for good reason). Still, I think it's a bit much to claim that fusion research is a waste of resources compared to expenditures on other energy solutions. Fusion power in general is not a part of the public imagination, so I don't think there is any danger that somehow people are going to get sidetracked from whatever priorities you think they should have.

To be clear, I am not opposed to nuclear research and power development in a properly regulated environment. But I think a few fusion approaches have merit and I am convinced that there is nothing theoretically infeasible about fusion power development within the same time horizon of other alternative energy proposals.

I dunno about huge funding. They've been consistently moderately funded for the last 60 years, and the total spending is somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 billion, I believe. That's maybe $500 million per year, and that's considered pretty low compared to the scale of our energy problems and the kind of money we spend on other fields (i.e. the US has spent $600 billion in oil, coal and natural gas subsidies over that same time period). The US spent $5.2 billion on energy research last year, meaning that fusion research constitutes perhaps 10% of overall energy research spending (which itself is pretty low).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/09/three-charts-that-show-the-u-s-spends-too-little-on-energy-research/
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/reframe/wasteful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 14, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kaal posted:

I dunno about huge funding. They've been consistently moderately funded for the last 60 years, and the total spending is somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 billion, I believe. That's maybe $500 million per year, and that's considered pretty low compared to the scale of our energy problems and the kind of money we spend on other fields (i.e. the US has spent $600 billion in oil, coal and natural gas subsidies over that same time period). The US spent $5.2 billion on energy research last year, meaning that fusion research constitutes perhaps 10% of overall energy research spending (which itself is pretty low).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/09/three-charts-that-show-the-u-s-spends-too-little-on-energy-research/
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/reframe/wasteful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

I should have said relatively huge compared to other fusion projects, but this point is well taken. I would be perfectly happy with even more funding for these main line fusion research projects justified only by the benefits to theoretical physics.

Under funding of basic R&D is the American Way.

I think at this point it's pretty clear that many proposed fusion power projects could be massively accelerated with relatively little money, and that such a focused program could quickly separate out the good proposals from the bad ones. A few of them would pretty radically change the energy calculus quickly, so it's worth funding them on the off chance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pander posted:

But then they wouldn't really be human anymore, argument crushed :smug:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Just saw this on Facebook. The work is described in a two-part paper that I'm just getting into now.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 4, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Just saw this on Facebook. The work is described in a two-part paper that I'm just getting into now.

Looked at the infographic and that base article. "This has got to have a staggering number of assumptions" was the first thought that jumped to mind.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Pander posted:

Looked at the infographic and that base article. "This has got to have a staggering number of assumptions" was the first thought that jumped to mind.

From the abstract:

quote:

We estimate that 3,800,000 5 MW wind turbines, 49,000 300 MW concentrated solar plants, 40,000 300 MW solar PV power plants, 1.7 billion 3 kW rooftop PV systems, 5350 100 MW geothermal power plants, 270 new 1300 MW hydroelectric power plants, 720,000 0.75 MW wave devices, and 490,000 1 MW tidal turbines can power a 2030 WWS world that uses electricity and electrolytic hydrogen for all purposes.

Current world wide wind capacity is 282 GW from 225,000 turbines, so we just need 3.5 million wind more turbines producing 3x the average power of our current fleet and we're set.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Pander posted:

It seems to be just a bunch of naive calculations: "California needs a much power, x solar + y wind + z hydro = a, the day is saved!"

Great for California. What happens when California's producing more solar than it needs and it's cold in Seattle?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What I find really funny is the proposal only proposes to replace fossil fuels, but the ending thing never mentions nuclear anywhere. Are they saying we can just generate 20% less power flat out?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ also I did not want to bring up nuclear, but because you did, loving :lol:

Pander posted:

This is a theme I've seen repeated throughout literature as related to alternative energy generation, as well as things like sustainable ag practices and other resource management "big idea" pieces.

Phayray put it best. "All these problems can be solved if we just (ignore physical reality) make these simple (impossible) changes!"

And yeah, publishing data sets full of calculations is appropriate for say, metagenomic studies in TYOOL 2014, given that it's a nascent field, but energy policy? It's been firmly rooted in the practical for quite some time now, guys.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I really recommend skipping the infographic and just reading the paper. It's really unfair to make up things to attack them for, instead of

quote:

We have assumed that all end uses that feasibly can be electrified use WWS power directly, and that the remaining end uses use WWS power indirectly in the form of electrolytic hydrogen (hydrogen produced by splitting water with WWS power).
or

quote:

As explained in Section 2 we assume that most uses of fossil fuels for heating/cooling can be replaced by electric heat pumps
or

quote:

For several reasons we do not consider nuclear energy (conventional fission, breeder reactors, or fusion) as a long-term global energy source. First, the growth of nuclear energy has historically increased the ability of nations to obtain or enrich uranium for nuclear weapons (Ullom, 1994)
or

quote:

Electric generator manufacturers will pursue parallel design and development paths to hedge against raw material pricing, with certain designs making the best economic sense depending upon the pricing of copper, steel and permanent magnets. Considering the recent volatility of sintered NdFeB pricing, there will be a strong economic motivation to develop generator designs either avoiding permanent magnets or using ferrite magnets with much lower and more stable pricing than NdFeB.
or

quote:

However, the world will not consume lithium reserves in an uncontrolled manner until, one day, the supply of lithium is exhausted. As demand grows the price will rise and this will spur the hunt for new sources of lithium, most likely from recycling.

The real take-home message I'm getting is "Jesus Christ human beings use a lot of energy, fossil fuels must be magic."

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
edit: also this ^^^

Install Windows posted:

What I find really funny is the proposal only proposes to replace fossil fuels, but the ending thing never mentions nuclear anywhere. Are they saying we can just generate 20% less power flat out?

Part I has several paragraphs explaining why they didn't choose nuclear; it's mostly hypotheticals, hand-waving, and selective application of issues, or just flat out being disingenuous

Jacobson posted:

Second, nuclear energy results in 9–25 times more carbon emissions than wind energy, in part due to emissions from uranium refining and transport and reactor construction (e.g., Lenzen, 2008; Sovacool, 2008)

Hmm, 9-25 times is a lot! Let's check those sources and see where it comes from...

Lenzen, 2008 posted:

The most popular reactor types, LWR and HWR, need between 0.1 and 0.3 kWhth, and on average about 0.2 kWhth for every kWh of electricity generated. These energy intensities translate into greenhouse gas intensities for LWR and HWR of between 10 and 130 g CO2-e/kWhel, with an average of 65 g CO2-e/kWhel.

While these greenhouse gases are expectedly lower than those of fossil technologies (typically 600–1200 g CO2-e/kWhel), they are higher than reported figures for wind turbines and hydroelectricity (around 15–25 g CO2-e/kWhel) and in the order of, or slightly lower than, solar photovoltaic or solar thermal power (around 90 g CO2-e/kWhel).

Sovacool, 2008 posted:

It calculates that while the range of emissions for nuclear energy over the lifetime of a plant, reported from qualified studies examined, is from 1.4 g of carbon dioxide equivalent per kWh (g CO2e/kWh) to 288 g CO2e/kWh, the mean value is 66 g CO2e/kWh.

Even the worst case for nuclear (288g CO2) and the best case for wind (15g CO2) isn't a factor of 25.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 4, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

So it's the same as most studies arguing we can have 100% renewable energy by 2050 (but in MURCA :911:): physically possible, but unless you want to plan for the best case scenario it's more of a "60% renewable energy by 2100" plan.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Install Windows posted:

Oh, it mentions nuclear alright. If you read through the first part, you'll notice that the author declines to post any figures relating to nuclear, instead citing another paper which concludes that nuclear is worse than other low carbon options for [reasons]. Naturally, I decided to take a look at this other paper:

Jacobson posted:

4. Effects on climate-relevant emissions

In this section, the CO2-equivalent (CO2e) emissions (emissions of CO2 plus those of other greenhouse gases multiplied by their global warming potentials) of each energy technology are reviewed. We also examine CO2e emissions of each technology due to planning and construction delays relative to those from the technology with the least delays ("opportunity-cost emissions"), leakage from geological formations of CO2 sequestered by coal-CCS, and the emissions from the burning of cities resulting from nuclear weapons explosions potentially resulting from nuclear energy expansion

:laffo:

For bonus fun, check out this table from page 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Oh, it mentions nuclear alright. If you read through the first part, you'll notice that the author declines to post any figures relating to nuclear, instead citing another paper which concludes that nuclear is worse than other low carbon options for [reasons]. Naturally, I decided to take a look at this other paper:

:laffo:

For bonus fun, check out this table from page 6.

Oh I forgot that was Jacobson.

Please excuse me while I fall off my chair laughing.

e: not quite fallen off yet, but

quote:

aExtractable power over land. Assumes the surface area over land outside of Antarctica is 135000km²,
Oh my god how is this man faculty at Stanford.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 4, 2014