Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The top/back of your fridge will generally be warmer because of the radiator, I find that's the best place to stick dough in winter. The oven works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

The top/back of your fridge will generally be warmer because of the radiator, I find that's the best place to stick dough in winter. The oven works too.

I have a very old gas stove and I find that the pilot lights (between burner pairs on each side) keep the top of the range itself quite warm so I put covered dough bowls there. If you have a gas stove see if you have any warm spots on the top like mine? The above advice is great too and I did that instead in my previous place.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just turn the light on in my oven and put the dough right below it. Seems to work okay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My oven light seems to make the inside of my oven about 80°F

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's rough, I hope you leave it off while you're cooking.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I have a combination range-hood-microwave thing, and with the range light on it keeps the nuke-u-lator box just the right temp for rising dough.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Been using the 5 minute artisan bread recipe to make bread and it has been great. I bought some King Arthur Bread Flour to use in the future - is it a wise idea to do 5 minute artisan with this flour?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do you guys deal with pots and pan covers when you're cooking? Do you just set them on the counters dirty side down (and risk getting junk into your food when you put it back on) or flip them around which is super annoying to do and sometimes burns cause it's hot? Is there a third way that I just haven't discovered?

e: Spelling.

Also, does anyone have a subscription to Cook's Illustrated/ATK? Is it "worth it?" Are they actually separate subscriptions? e.g., the $25/year CI magian doesn't let me use the ATK website?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 13, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you guys deal with pot a and pan cover when you're cooking? Do you just set them on the counters dirty side down (and risk getting junk into your food when you put it back on) or flip them around which is super annoying to do and sometimes burns cause it's hot? Is there a third way that I just haven't discovered?

Plastic wrap (or parchment paper, or silpat) on counter, metal grate on plastic wrap, lid food side down on metal grate.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you guys deal with pots and pan covers when you're cooking? Do you just set them on the counters dirty side down (and risk getting junk into your food when you put it back on) or flip them around which is super annoying to do and sometimes burns cause it's hot? Is there a third way that I just haven't discovered?

Just flip them upside down. If you get burned it just makes you stronger.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a plate to put your lids on you goon.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Spelling.

Paper towel.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I gotta question and this is more of a general question: In a discussion with goons on chili, I revealed I put chili on top of rice, and I put beans in chili, I understand that beans and rice are not traditionally in chili, and that chili seems to be: Meat, Tomatoes and Spices. But my question is; is there a reason to only follow the prescribed methodology of food, or can one experiment outside of the traditional view of an item to create their own variation that they find enjoyable, and is that necessarily wrong?

I am just sort of astounded by places like the Chili Appreciation Society International which bans beans and marinating meat. I just really don't understand the traditional ideology of how should be made, and I hope someone can explain this to me.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I gotta question and this is more of a general question: In a discussion with goons on chili, I revealed I put chili on top of rice, and I put beans in chili, I understand that beans and rice are not traditionally in chili, and that chili seems to be: Meat, Tomatoes and Spices. But my question is; is there a reason to only follow the prescribed methodology of food, or can one experiment outside of the traditional view of an item to create their own variation that they find enjoyable, and is that necessarily wrong?

I am just sort of astounded by places like the Chili Appreciation Society International which bans beans and marinating meat. I just really don't understand the traditional ideology of how should be made, and I hope someone can explain this to me.

Going by the Chili thread, it's really more 'meat, chilis, spices'. Obviously you can make it however you like. Some of the reasoning is geographical, others is more just having the essential ingredients for peak 'chili' flavor. I will say it's worthwhile to make it as simple as possible as there are some really great recipes floating around that you can make chili from scratch with, and you might be surprised what kind of taste the ingredients you like in chili might be masking. At the least I'm thankful for being shown the light as far as making your own chili powder from a variety of dried peppers and various spices. I'm personally still a fan of eating mine with black and red beans, but I just really like the texture they add. I have been known to really enjoy beanless chili on rice as well, and of course, any kind of chili made into a frito chili pie is just pretty much acceptable to me, but that might be an exception.

Similarly stuff like sushi-making, I hear, is really strictly regulated in places in Japan and I've heard of chefs coming overseas just to be able to make sushi as creatively as they'd like... and be able to sell it without any kind of disapproval.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
"Chili does not traditionally have beans" is my spergphrase.

Chili always has beans

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Sorry there is only one true chili.

Kidding, experiment away, cooking is more fun that way. Tradition is only a guideline for what tasted good in the past.

fakeedit: dang you guys are quick.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

copen posted:

Kidding, experiment away, cooking is more fun that way. Tradition is only a guideline for what tasted good in the past.
it seems though that people take these traditions as a harden fast rule and do not allow for experimentation and I am trying to figure out why.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Heh, asking why men are insecure about things.

Well.. It's complicated.

copen fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 13, 2014

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

copen posted:

Heh, asking why men are insecure about things.

Well.. It's complicated.

Is it because they have small penises? :ohdear:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No: they have small, dense brains.

Chili is NOT an "authentic" dish! It's a Tex-Mex reinvention, and there are infinite ways to make it. The only thing that comes close to a distinct style of chili is "Texas Chili", and when was the last time we let Texans dictate how we do anything?

We've had this argument before, over and over, and it gets no where. It's the single worst argument we have in GoonsWithSpoons, even when people are trying to by ironic about it.

Personally, I think beanless chili is stupid, but hey, suit yourself.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's simple: try it with and without beans and then see which one you like better. I like both by the way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rules for chili:

Make chili that tastes good to you, with things you like in it.
Eat chili.
Eat more chili tomorrow when it's even better.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Rules for chili:

Make chili that tastes good to you, with things you like in it.
Eat chili.
Eat more chili tomorrow when it's even better.

I went here last night and it was very good Korean fried chicken:
http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1304/A130404/13040862/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chili is a peasant dish. It's an inexpensive dish made from whatever ingredients are cheap and available. Therefore variations in what goes in are perfectly acceptable, as are extenders like beans (or even rice, I guess). Do what tastes good.

Just don't make Cincinnati style chili because that poo poo's gross and an affront to chili.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You could poo poo in a bowl and call it chili if you want to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I already mentioned Cincinnati chili.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
While idly browsing the BBC's site, I found an article about Ernest Hemingway's favourite burger recipe:

It looks kinda spicy to me, but I'm not sure how spicy. I like meat with a bit of a kick to it, but I don't want to burn my mouth off. Any thoughts, guys?

Also, while I'm at it - I can't find anywhere that sells Spice Islands spices in the UK. Looking online, it seems that Beau Monde is a mixture of salt, celery and onion, but I can't seem to find Mei Yen anywhere, or even an idea of its ingredients.

EDIT: aha! A google search for Mei Yen powder turned this up:

quote:

PAPA’S FAVORITE HAMBURGER. There is no reason why a fried hamburger has to turn out gray, greasy, paper-thin and tasteless. You can add all sorts of goodies and flavors to the ground beef -- minced mushrooms, cocktail sauce, minced garlic and onion, chopped almonds, a big dollop of piccadilli, or whatever your eye lights on. Papa prefers this combination.

Ingredients --

1 lb. ground lean beef

2 cloves, minced garlic

2 little green onions, finely chopped

1 heaping teaspoon, India relish

2 tablespoons, capers

1 heaping teaspoon, Spice Islands sage

Spice Islands Beau Monde Seasoning -- ½ teaspoon

Spice Islands Mei Yen Powder -- ½ teaspoon **

1 egg, beaten in a cup with a fork

About one third cup dry red or white wine.

1 tablespoon cooking oil

What to do --

Break up the meat with a fork and scatter the garlic, onion and dry seasonings over it, then mix them into the meat with a fork or your fingers. Let the bowl of meat sit out of the icebox for ten or fifteen minutes while you set the table and make the salad. Add the relish, capers, everything else including wine and let the meat sit, quietly marinating, for another ten minutes if possible. Now make four fat, juicy patties with your hands. The patties should be an inch thick, and soft in texture but not runny. Have the oil in your frying-pan hot but not smoking when you drop in the patties and then turn the heat down and fry the burgers about four minutes. Take the pan off the burner and turn the heat high again. Flip the burgers over, put the pan back on the hot fire, then after one minute, turn the heat down again and cook another three minutes. Both sides of the burgers should be crispy brown and the middle pink and juicy.

** Spice Islands discontinued its production of Mei Yen Powder three years ago. If you don’t have any in your pantry, here’s how to recreate it:

9 parts salt

9 parts sugar

2 parts MSG

If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon Mei Yen Powder, use 2/3 tsp of the dry recipe (above) mixed with 1/8 tsp of soy sauce.
Bolding mine. That settles that.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 13, 2014

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Capers in a burger? Interesting... My only experience with capers is in a bruschetta that my mom used to make, but I hadn't thought to put them in anything else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I already mentioned Cincinnati chili.

What's with the hate for this stuff? I mean my wife has made it a couple times and it seems ok, but I've never had it in a restaurant.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 13, 2014

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Cincinnati chili is good, just oddly named, it's more of a spiced ragu.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, and the girl friend wants to cook in instead of going out. She's does the Keto diet thing, what would be something fun to cook together? The default choice is steaks, but I'm hoping I can find something different.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BraveUlysses posted:

What's with the hate for this stuff? I mean my wife has made it a couple times and it seems ok, but I've never had it in a restaurant.

It defines midwestern cuisine.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Cupcake chatter. Making some salted caramel cupcakes, made a test batch as my first time working with caramel. The frosting and lace turned out well. The cupcake itself was good and dense but had two issues.

1. Taste. Wanted to give it a little more caramel taste. Here is the ingredient list:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 stick of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk

Switching dark for light brown sugar move towards a tad more flavor?

2. My recipe called for cutting a small hole from the cupcake, filling w a caramel sauce, cake on top then frosting. My issue was with how to make this caramel. The recipe says to melt the sugar, then add the butter and heavy cream once it's melted And caramelly.
My issue is I've never melted sugar alone wo water. It DID start to melt while I was whisking the sugar around but then the sugar got clumpy. I groaned and added the butter to breK down the caramel sugar globs. It turned into hard gritty sugar balls in the cake.
I looked up later how to just melt sugar alone and the suggestion was to whisk it at med-lo vs my recipe saying med-high. The also mentioned sugar alone will clump like it did, you have to break the clumps for it to reliquify itself to caramel.
I'm just not sure the best method for the gooey caramel inside. Help?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So basically, it's a caramel recipe, which means you have to make caramel. This means doing the more-than-a-little-scary step of melting sugar with nothing--and letting it melt completely, past the clumpy stage, which is where it's half-melted and half-not. You're looking for the sugar to take on a bit of color as well, though obviously you should not let it scorch. The problem was the fact that you added the butter, honestly, which made the sugar recrystalize and seize up, which results in the hard gritty sugar balls you found. This recipe is for a caramel sauce, but has some good photos that show the process. Basically, it requires patience. Let the sugar melt. If it looks weird, keep stirring and keep the heat on. Just keep it far, FAR from your skin to avoid burns and be careful with the heat to avoid it burning, but don't throw anything in until it's all completely melted and at a boil and turning a dark amber color. Making caramel is hard, and it's kind of complex chemistry, so throwing in your ingredients before the sugar is ready for them will totally mess things up.

As for the cake, that sounds like a pretty standard cake to me? Using dark brown sugar will give it more flavor, but it'll be molasses flavor, not caramel flavor.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

mich posted:

Cincinnati chili is good, just oddly named, it's more of a spiced ragu.

This is the problem I have (and I think most others have). If it was renamed to omit the "chili" misnomer, I wouldn't hate it. But it pretends to be chili and that grinds my gears.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Nicol Bolas posted:

So basically, it's a caramel recipe, which means you have to make caramel. This means doing the more-than-a-little-scary step of melting sugar with nothing--and letting it melt completely, past the clumpy stage, which is where it's half-melted and half-not. You're looking for the sugar to take on a bit of color as well, though obviously you should not let it scorch. The problem was the fact that you added the butter, honestly, which made the sugar recrystalize and seize up, which results in the hard gritty sugar balls you found. This recipe is for a caramel sauce, but has some good photos that show the process. Basically, it requires patience. Let the sugar melt. If it looks weird, keep stirring and keep the heat on. Just keep it far, FAR from your skin to avoid burns and be careful with the heat to avoid it burning, but don't throw anything in until it's all completely melted and at a boil and turning a dark amber color. Making caramel is hard, and it's kind of complex chemistry, so throwing in your ingredients before the sugar is ready for them will totally mess things up.

As for the cake, that sounds like a pretty standard cake to me? Using dark brown sugar will give it more flavor, but it'll be molasses flavor, not caramel flavor.

Thanks for the advice. I am on my phone and will read that article tonight when I try again.

It was a standard recipe and already brown sugar in there as noted. Any other way to have a tad more caramel flavoring outside of the filling? I want to experiment with the filling to educate myself on making the caramel but goal wise I'd love to get to the point that the cake itself tastes a bit more caramelly and no filling. I understand the cake can't replace pure caramel filling but I know there's hope as a local cupcake joint has a nice caramelly flavor with a rich amber color and dense almost carrot cake like texture. I'm stubborn and only want to ask about their methods if I can't figure it out by trial and error :)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Why don't you put the caramel itself in the cake mixture?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

This is the problem I have (and I think most others have). If it was renamed to omit the "chili" misnomer, I wouldn't hate it. But it pretends to be chili and that grinds my gears.

sorry about your autism

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Why don't you put the caramel itself in the cake mixture?

I was gonna suggest this, but then you have to take out some amount of sugar and some amount of liquid (presumably buttermilk) to keep the ratio of sugar and wet to dry correct, which could be very tricky, and I'm nowhere need good enough of a baker to suggest where to start with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Captain Trips posted:

Capers in a burger? Interesting... My only experience with capers is in a bruschetta that my mom used to make, but I hadn't thought to put them in anything else.

Capers are awesome. Eat capers. Put capers on pasta, have capers with aged cheddar, capers are the best.